Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,136 members, 7,821,878 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

Offering In The Early Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Offering In The Early Church (2383 Views)

What If The Early Church Had Prayed That Saul Should Die? / The Early Church Vs The Modern Church / On The Most Blessed Virgin Mary- Teachings Of The Early Church Fathers- (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offering In The Early Church by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 28, 2010
For the criminals who said early christians practised tithing have a look at the writings of st Justin Martyr in 150CE

The apostles, in their recollections, which are called gospels, handed down to us what Jesus commanded them to do. They tell us that he took bread, gave thanks and said: Do this in memory of me. This is my body. In the same way he took the cup, he gave thanks and said: This is my blood. The Lord gave this command to them alone. Ever since then we have constantly reminded one another of these things. The rich among us help the poor and we are always united. For all that we receive we praise the Creator of the universe through his Son Jesus Christ and through the Holy Spirit.

On Sunday we have a common assembly of all our members, whether they live in the city or the outlying districts. The recollections of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as there is time. When the reader has finished, the president of the assembly speaks to us; he urges everyone to imitate the examples of virtue we have heard in the readings. Then we all stand up together and pray.

On the conclusion of our prayer, bread and wine and water are brought forward. The president offers prayers and gives thanks to the best of his ability, and the people give assent by saying, “Amen”. The eucharist is distributed, everyone present communicates, and the deacons take it to those who are absent.

The wealthy, if they wish, may make a contribution, and they themselves decide the amount. The collection is placed in the custody of the president, who uses it to help the orphans and widows and all who for any reason are in distress, whether because they are sick, in prison, or away from home. In a word, he takes care of all who are in need.

We hold our common assembly on Sunday because it is the first day of the week, the day on which God put darkness and chaos to flight and created the world, and because on that same day our savior Jesus Christ rose from the dead. For he was crucified on Friday and on Sunday he appeared to his apostles and disciples and taught them the things that we have passed on for your consideration.

-First apology of st Justin Matyr 150CE

http://www.crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/532/Sunday_Eucharist_in_the_Early_Church_St._Justin_Martyr.html

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.viii.ii.lxvii.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Apology_of_Justin_Martyr
Re: Offering In The Early Church by viaro: 11:10am On May 29, 2010
chukwudi44:

The wealthy, if they wish, may make a contribution, and they themselves decide the amount. The collection is placed in the custody of the president, who uses it to help the orphans and widows and all who for any reason are in distress, whether because they are sick, in prison, or away from home. In a word, he takes care of all who are in need.

And what does this "prove" about tithing or anti-tithing?

For one, Justin Martyr does not say a word in that quote about or against tithing. If a Christian decides to set apart what amounts to a tenth of his/her income to help the poor and for Church outreaches, there is nothing in the NT or in Justin Martyr's quote above that negates that.

Second, there are very many things which Christianity has come to adopt today that we do not read a word about in the Bible. If we want to keep complaining about what the early Christians practised, reason would have us actually focus on those other things that later crept into Christianity and as well eschew them from Christianity altogether.

Third, there are some theologians regarded much respected for their works today who actually argued in favour of the principle (not literalism) of tithing among Christians - Thomas Aquinas is one of them, and I wonder how many people will now turn against him just because he saw tithing as a healthy practice which yet should not be forced upn Christians?

We should be careful what we read into the excerpts we make - there are many logical fallacies which appear in the arguments of people who touch this and other subject. AT the end of the day, let's learn to seperate what from chaff and promote love and faith (yes, and TRUTH).
Re: Offering In The Early Church by KunleOshob(m): 1:00pm On May 29, 2010
Mmh angry viaro and her illogical reverse logic.
Re: Offering In The Early Church by viaro: 2:35pm On May 29, 2010
^^ What is the logic behind quoting what does not say a dot for or against tithing and using it to criminalize others?  I would see the point if Martyr said anything against it - but since he does not, what logic is there in using that quote against tithing?
Re: Offering In The Early Church by Joagbaje(m): 2:56pm On May 29, 2010
@ chukwudi,
if you are really searching for criminality in God's name, it's the vatican. Ask you pope how they built the Vatican. And the abuses on innocent children by priests and cardinals. Are you sure you want the truth? It's in your backyard!
Re: Offering In The Early Church by KunleOshob(m): 3:05pm On May 29, 2010
@Viaro
Well the writeup addressed how funds were raised in the early church and how the funds were disbursed, tithing was conspiciously and glaringly absent. That aside the type of giving explained there is contrary to the nature of tithing preached today. The onus is actually on criminals trying to impose tithing on christians to prove that tithing is part of the apostalic traditions handed down by the apostles to the church.
Re: Offering In The Early Church by viaro: 3:32pm On May 29, 2010
KunleOshob:

@Viaro
Well the writeup addressed how funds were raised in the early church and how the funds were disbursed, tithing was conspiciously and glaringly absent. That aside the type of giving explained there is contrary to the nature of tithing preached today. The onus is actually on criminals trying to impose tithing on christians to prove that tithing is part of the apostalic traditions handed down by the apostles to the church.

If tithing was not specifically mentioned, we are only appealing to a logical fallacy to argue against what the article does not argue for or against. Indeed, many other things that are not mentioned among early Christians have now found their way into Christianity today and we all seem to be comfortable with them. However, it is not only tithing that is being used today as a form of fraud in many religious groups - all sorts are being used as well. The real problem is not tithing or anti-tithing, but something else: greed.
Re: Offering In The Early Church by viaro: 3:40pm On May 29, 2010
Joagbaje:

@ chukwudi,
if you are really searching for criminality in God's name, it's the vatican. Ask you pope how they built the Vatican. And the abuses on innocent children by priests and cardinals. Are you sure you want the truth? It's in your backyard!

Please, let's not use this thread as a platform for a repeat 'broadcast' of that blight in Christendom. It is not only the Vatican that has shameful things to contend with - even in our own (yes, "our own"wink non-Vatican and non-Catholic expressions of Christianity, we have experienced very sad episodes that we would only be too ashamed to mention.

If tithing is the subject to be discussed, let's focus on that. For one, the point Justin Martyr would have made is that nobody was forced to give whatever they gave -

The wealthy, if they wish, may make a contribution, and they themselves decide the amount.

People should not be forced or manipulated to "give" - even where we are encouraging giving. One pastor has said: 'If it is not by grace, then everything that follows is a disgrace'. Nothing should be forced - not even "freewill giving".
Re: Offering In The Early Church by KunleOshob(m): 3:49pm On May 29, 2010
^^^ well I am glad you acknowledge greed as found it's way into church doctrines and the gospel is being distorted becos of greed (2 peter 2:3, titus 1:11) we were warned very strongly that false teachings would emanate from false teachers becos of their greed, that is why we must continue to exhort one and other so that brethen would not fall victim of these wolves in sheep's clothing. That aside they are poisoning the gospel and leading several away from the truth whilst fleecing them. That is why any opportunity to expose their false teachings like chukwudi has done should be encouraged.
Re: Offering In The Early Church by petres007(m): 8:16pm On May 29, 2010
viaro:

For one, Justin Martyr does not say a word in that quote about or against tithing. If a Christian decides to set apart what amounts to a tenth of his/her income to help the poor and for Church outreaches, there is nothing in the NT or in Justin Martyr's quote above that negates that.

Bros Viaro,

I don't know of any "anti-tither" here or anywhere that has ever kicked against anyone in the church voluntarily setting aside even 100% of his/her income "to help the poor and for Church outreaches". Thats commendable!

What "we" are against is the twisting of scriptures to force it upon Christians as mandatory, plus the many crazy unbiblical "blessings" they attach to it (right up to a heavenly visa). The "rule" in the NT is that believers give out of their own freewill and the example we see in scriptures is believers giving to meet needs. Not what we're seeing today.  grin

If I may ask, what is your stand about our preachers today using the OT to enforce tithing on Christians? Apologies if you've talked about this in some other thread. A link will do.  wink
Re: Offering In The Early Church by viaro: 9:36pm On May 29, 2010
@petres_007,

I understand just a bit what you guys are trying to say. However, I tend to see things from another perspective - I think the problem is far more serious than any arguments for or against tithes. Fraud takes many forms, and clever people will look for other ways to dupe unsuspecting believers than all talk about tithes. This should help us see that many of the arguments are not dealing with the real issues - and I think that is where we need to focus on.

petres_007:

If I may ask, what is your stand about our preachers today using the OT to enforce tithing on Christians? Apologies if you've talked about this in some other thread. A link will do. wink

Well, I'm a bit lazy to search for relevant links presently (hope to post you some when I can).

However, the operative word there is "enforce" - I have no problem with anyone who would quote the OT to encourage giving or seek a spiritual truth for Christians; but to "enforce" whatever they teach upon others is leaving grace behind and tending to legalism.

When we go through the NT, we find a whole range of verses taken from the OT and applied to Christian living. Some of these just "seem" to have no direct link to any mention of any type of 'giving'. For instance, what has the mention of "ox" in Deut. 25:4 got anything to do with "giving"? Yet the apostle quoted that OT verse twice in the NT (1 Cor. 9:9 and 1 Tim. 5:18) in connection with giving and receiving! But after all is said and done, we find that the apostle did not "enforce" anything upon the Christian (e.g., see 1 Cor. 9:15).

So it is: there should be no problem at all with quoting from any passages of the OT to teach about 'giving' in the NT. What the Bible does not urge upon us is to force anything upon anybody - whether it be tithes, freewill offerings, donations, contributions, etc., nothing should be enforced on the believer.
Re: Offering In The Early Church by petres007(m): 5:59pm On May 30, 2010
@Viaro,

Thanks for your response. Well, I guess I understand your stand better. However, if I were to "classify" you I'd tag you an "anti-tither" (though I dunno know who coined those terms and don't dig them myself). wink
Re: Offering In The Early Church by Zikkyy(m): 7:22pm On May 30, 2010
petres_007:

@Viaro,

Thanks for your response. Well, I guess I understand your stand better. However, if I were to "classify" you I'd tag you an "anti-tither" (though I dunno know who coined those terms and don't dig them myself). wink

Viaro is a tithin "anti-tither"  grin grin
Re: Offering In The Early Church by petres007(m): 7:36pm On May 30, 2010
Zikkyy:

Viaro is a tithin "anti-tither"  grin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Offering In The Early Church by Nobody: 9:26am On May 31, 2010
@ chukwudi,

If I was looking for criminality I would see legions of them in organisations lie the CEC whose coffers are funded by thieves like Lawrence agada,and other criminally aquired funds that find their way into the church accounts through heretical doctrines like tithes,first fruits e.t.c

(1) (Reply)

What I Gained From Reinhard Bonnke And Daniel Kolenda's Program Last Week / How Many People Are Going To Hell? / Is Jelqing evil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.