Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,345 members, 7,819,222 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:56 PM

Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. (739 Views)

Buhari Signed 'Wrong' NDIC Bill - Abdulhakeem Abdullateef / The Moment Buhari Signed ₦17.127 Trillion 2022 Budget Into Law (Photos) / See The Moment Atiku Signed The Peace Accord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. by ZuchananNetwork: 6:46am On Jun 01, 2018
Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buhari, has signed into law a bill to reduce the age limit of people that can run for public positions in the country’s government.

The bill referred to as “Not Too Young To Run” bill had been passed by the Nigerian Senate since July 2017.

The president signed the bill on Thursday inside the Council Chamber of State House Presidential Villa, in the presence of selected invited youth from across the county.

He did this to fulfill a promise he made (to sign the bill) while delivering his nationwide Democracy Day speech on Tuesday of this same week.

However, in a brief remark after he signed the bill, Mr Buhari told his audience comprising representatives of young persons from the 36 states and Abuja that You can aspire for President but Please postpone your campaign till after 2019 election.

The bill was passed by the National Assembly last year to alter Sections 65, 106, 131, 177 of the constitution. It was to reduce the age qualification for president from 40 to 30; governor from 35 to 30; senator from 35 to 30; House of Representatives membership from 30 to 25 and State House of Assembly membership from 30 to 25.

The president, however, said in the bill he approved, there was no reduction in the age requirement for the office of senators and governors, indicating that age would still be left at 35.

He said he hoped it will be looked after eventually.

With many lauding its final signing into law, what does this bill really mean in the Nigerian politics?

Will the youths of the country, who stood solidly behind the bill and campaigned massively for its signing into law, now become confident enough to start making active participation in the Nigeria’s political scene?

Or is the signing of the bill just part of an agenda to help Pres. Buhari succeed in his second term bid?

what do you think?

You can also click https://www.zuchanannetwork.com/single-post/2018/06/01/Why-did-President-Buhari-sign-the-%E2%80%98Not-Too-Young-To-Run%E2%80%99-bill-into-law to join our discussion on this. (I hope i'm not breaking any law)

Re: Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. by Fazemood(m): 7:33am On Jun 01, 2018
All these are political mischiefs to lure the youths into voting for him in 2019 and not campaigning for the seat themselves. PMB knows the power youths yield in our economy and if one youth comes out to contest in 2019, and has the backing of the youths, this election won't be business as usual.

I suggest that if there is any young man or woman who thinks he\she is capable to run for any available sit in the executive body should come out and declare their interest neglecting these liars.
Its time we (youths) seize our rights and use it as the law demands. These old buffoons have had enough fun. Listening to them again now will keep us tied to their continual deceptions and deprivals of our basic rights.

Enough of these pre-independence individuals who still see themselves as leaders of tomorrow.
Re: Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. by ZuchananNetwork: 8:01am On Jun 01, 2018
I'm with you on this. I think signing the bill may just be a way to make Nigerians warm up to him again seeing as he started appearing to have lost the backing of a lot of Nigerian youths (as a result of his alleged 'lazy Nigerian youths' statement.

Meanwhile, what do you think of the bolded parts of the article? His "plea" and of course, the Senate not reducing the age allowed to run for a seat in the senate house..

Fazemood:
All these are political mischiefs to lure the youths into voting for him in 2019 and not campaigning for the seat themselves. PMB knows the power youths yield in our economy and if one youth comes out to contest in 2019, and has the backing of the youths, this election won't be business as usual.

I suggest that if there is any young man or woman who thinks he\she is capable to run for any available sit in the executive body should come out and declare their interest neglecting these liars.
Its time we (youths) seize our rights and use it as the law demands. These old buffoons have had enough fun. Listening to them again now will keep us tied to their continual deceptions and deprivals of our basic rights.

Enough of these pre-independence individuals who still see themselves as leaders of tomorrow.
Re: Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. by Fazemood(m): 9:47am On Jun 01, 2018
ZuchananNetwork:
I'm with you on this. I think signing the bill may just be a way to make Nigerians warm up to him again seeing as he started appearing to have lost the backing of a lot of Nigerian youths (as a result of his alleged 'lazy Nigerian youths' statement.

Meanwhile, what do you think of the bolded parts of the article? His "plea" and of course, the Senate not reducing the age allowed to run for a seat in the senate house..

First, let's ask ourselves, "how many senators in the house are below 55? The age of 35 in the senate house is an unattainable fit, as these men have stamped and made it that no young will have to sit among them.
2 months ago, the senator representing Jos north constituency in a radio interview in Jos when asked what his take on the age reduction in the senate house is; stated that the senate house isn't a place 4 children. Meaning that anybody below 40 is still a child.
This is preposterous and demeaning, an insult to democracy.
Re: Real Reason Why Buhari Signed The Not-too-young-to-run Bill Into Law. by Deesenator: 9:54am On Jun 01, 2018
All this is to device the the youth to support his evil agender but he will disappointed because the youth will never support for we wiser now. Buhari must go back to his village.

(1) (Reply)

N252bn Ekiti Fund: Allegations Against Me Can’t Stand – Fayose / PHOTO NEWS: Buhari Inaugurates Rice Seedling Factory In Calabar / Why Is That It Is Only Christian Leaders Speaking Up Against Herdsmen Killings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.