Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:40 AM

Nigeria Is Not A Failing State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is Not A Failing State (618 Views)

Nigeria - A Failing State? / Is Nigeria Becoming A Failing State? / Nigeria Is A Failing State:british All Party Parliamentary Group Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by lipuka(m): 2:50pm On May 29, 2010
Adams Oshiamhole is the Governor of Edo State. Early in the week, Oshiamhole addressed a public lecture. In his speech, he said that Nigeria is a failing state. And he called for electoral reforms.

I will not comment on the electoral reforms. In my experience this is a call made by every politician who aspires to be president. Once in power, the same will trash any reforms made.

What I wish to state here is that Ashiamhole is now part of the system. He is a Governor, a very powerful position. He can bring about change. He can do better by example. Edo State is not the richest State in Nigeria. It has many problems. He could start by sortng out the problems of Edi State before talking about the rest of the country.

What I know of Oshiamhole is that he was an outspoken trade unionist. Problem, is, he is no longer a trade unionist so populist talk will not solve Nigeria's problems. All countries have problems. Nigeria also has many challenges. And if Ashamhole has ideas which can help overcome the challenges, fantastic. But I do not believe Nigeria is a failing state, and it will not fail.
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by Otobroto(f): 2:51pm On May 29, 2010
Hmmm!
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by kegikwanu(m): 3:07pm On May 29, 2010
yes he`s right, Nigeria is not a failing state, it`s already failed, thus to say Nigeria is a failed state
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by lipuka(m): 3:16pm On May 29, 2010
At least that is my opinion. Nigerians may not agree
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by EzeUche(m): 3:40pm On May 29, 2010
Nigeria is already a failed state. Not in the sense of like a country like the DRC or Somalia but we lack basic infrastructure, the gov't cannot protect the lives of its citizens. This all qualifies as a failed state.
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 29, 2010
lipuka:

But I do not believe Nigeria is a failing state, and it will not fail.

Unfortunately, your beliefs are of no consequence whatsoever. The tell-tale signs that Nigeria is indeed a failing state are all too glaring. The good news is that it has not failed yet; there may yet be a miracle to demobilize the ticking time-bomb of failure.
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by lipuka(m): 9:57am On May 30, 2010
I also believe that my country is a failed state, I must admit I would rather be in Nigeria than in my country
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by ayo84(m): 10:19am On May 30, 2010
talking about oshiomole , im waiting to see wheither he is just a talker or a doer, he has th perfect opportunity to transform edo state.many times we have seen too many talkers,time will tell sha
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by lipuka(m): 10:47am On May 30, 2010
That is exactly what I meant
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by Afam(m): 10:51am On May 30, 2010
Nigeria is not a failed state and it is not failing.

Just like every other country in the world we have issues many of them man made.

However, Nigerians irrespective of their locations should work towards making things right instead of the abuses, lies and misinformation some of us are spreading about Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by bibiking1(m): 10:59am On May 30, 2010
Well this is a pretty debatable issue and it is lovely it being debated. However, i plead we do so with facts and supporting indices. On a lighter note, i could not help but notice the constant mis spellings of key words in the poster's posit!
Re: Nigeria Is Not A Failing State by lipuka(m): 11:02am On May 30, 2010
I do make mistakes whan I type ina hurry and have to deal with many other posts

(1) (Reply)

Jonathan Swears In Two New Inec Commissioners ! / Groups Advocate Meeting Of Ethnic Nationalities Before Oct 1 / Prodigal Sons Of Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.