Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,630 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 (25646 Views)

He Turns 50 Tomorrow And Is So Sad. / Autistic Child: Please Help / Facebook Reunites Mum With Missing Son After 3 Years (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Simplybami(f): 4:01pm On Jun 03, 2018
Pharmchy:
Please can someone educate us on the causes of this and the possible ways to prevent it. Thanks and God bless u.

Just click on this link.

http://simplybami..com/2018/03/does-autism-spectrum-disorder-have_19.html?m=1
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Simplybami(f): 4:07pm On Jun 03, 2018
Smarkie:
thank God for him to have such a caring and supportive mother in such a difficult time

Hmmmm. It is very draining and exhausting. It takes a strong woman to raise an autistic kid without breaking down. It can be very frustrating,especially when some refuse to maintain eye contact with you,and cringe when you touch them!

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by shaybebaby(f): 4:23pm On Jun 03, 2018
Simplybami:

Hmmmm. It is very draining and exhausting. It takes a strong woman to raise an autistic kid without breaking down. It can be very frustrating,especially when they refuse to maintain eye contact with you,and cringe when you touch them!

I implore you to stop generalising as this further promotes misconceptions that makes people tarnish individuals with autism with the same brush.

It is called a spectrum for the precise reason that NO two people with the disorder present exactly the same way, same as no two individuals being the same.

Some make eye contact appropriately, some excessively and some not at all.

Some have sensory processing disorder which may affect some of their senses (eg sound, taste, hearing, touch etc). The effects are different in them, some may be highly sensitive to noise and have to wear ear defenders to be able to function, some crave extra sensory input and actively seek out touch etc.

My instinct is to be nasty to you but I realise that this is an opportunity to educate and create awareness.

I am a mum to a son on the spectrum, I am friends with other parents of children with autism and I can say our kids are all very much different even though the diagnosis is the same.

And I can say authoritively that such utterances like this does not help our kids.

5 Likes

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Alejoc(m): 4:29pm On Jun 03, 2018
This is deep!
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by AceVentura: 4:57pm On Jun 03, 2018
Barney11:
Please educate me,can they be called imbe?

I pray for God to have mercy on you. It's obvious you aren't a parent yet so I'll let it slide.

I discovered last October that my son is mildly autistic & he's presently in therapy (the cost is on another level but God has been faithful). He has started responding & I'm really impressed.

2 Likes

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Rayhila(f): 4:58pm On Jun 03, 2018
Mouthgag:
Waste of life in this short life we live in...

I can't cope with unfortunate/problem children.

Sicklers
Autistic
Cretin

Make God no tempt me to commit crime.

Amen.
Hnmmm! Just be grateful to God you are not one of those "unfortunate/problem Children" Also pray that God really shows you mercy and does not give you one. remember those children didn't choose their condition and no parent choose to have such children. Learn to be grateful and compassionate.
I used to be a special child, I didn't walk until I was 1yr and 7months, I had a lot of medical issues, many times my parents stood watched out of hopelessness, thinking I will die the next minute. several times I was stigmatized, I lost self esteem. But with proper medical attention and prayers God healed me. am alive today and healthy, am doing my masters already and am. a bundle of Joy to my parents.
No child is happy being sick. Please don't use the phrase "Unfortunate/problem Children" ever again.

3 Likes

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Mouthgag: 5:05pm On Jun 03, 2018
Rayhila:
Hnmmm! Just be grateful to God you are not one of those "unfortunate/problem Children" Also pray that God really shows you mercy and does not give you one. remember those children didn't choose their condition and no parent choose to have such children. Learn to be grateful and compassionate.
I used to be a special child, I didn't walk until I was 1yr and 7months, I had a lot of medical issues, many times my parents stood watched out of hopelessness, thinking I will die the next minute. several times I was stigmatized, I lost self esteem. But with proper medical attention and prayers God healed me. am alive today and healthy, am doing my masters already and am. a bundle of Joy to my parents.
No child is happy being sick. Please don't use the phrase "Unfortunate/problem Children" ever again.
Any child born with terminal or genetic disorder is actually not special but unfortunate and will probably be a problem to his/her parents.
Good for you said you're healthy now.
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Probz(m): 5:07pm On Jun 03, 2018
Mouthgag:

Any child born with terminal or genetic disorder is actually not special but unfortunate and will probably be a problem to his/her parents.
Good for you said you're healthy now.

The meaning of special changes depending on the context. Read between the lines.
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Probz(m): 5:08pm On Jun 03, 2018
Barney11:

No. Autism isn’t an intellectual disability.

1 Like

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Simplybami(f): 7:28pm On Jun 03, 2018
shaybebaby:

I implore you to stop generalising as this further promotes misconceptions that makes people tarnish individuals with autism with the same brush.

It is called a spectrum for the precise reason that NO two people with the disorder present exactly the same way, same as no two individuals being the same.

Some make eye contact appropriately, some excessively and some not at all.

Some have sensory processing disorder which may affect some of their senses (eg sound, taste, hearing, touch etc). The effects are different in them, some may be highly sensitive to noise and have to wear ear defenders to be able to function, some crave extra sensory input and actively seek out touch etc.

My instinct is to be nasty to you but I realise that this is an opportunity to educate and create awareness.

I am a mum to a son on the spectrum, I am friends with other parents of children with autism and I can say our kids are all very much different even though the diagnosis is the same.

And I can say authoritively that such utterances like this does not help our kids.

I am not in any way tarnishing their image. For God's sake,I know it's a spectrum and I even wrote an article about it. Trust me,I understand your sentiment.
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Gloriawinning: 7:47pm On Jun 03, 2018
Everything God made is perfect we need to be more vigilant , watch & pray
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by jaid23: 9:37pm On Jun 03, 2018
Waoo.. for real!

ststyreal:

My friend it can be cured honestly. Early intervention with a good therapist, then you will see an intellectual in the making. I know of a boy who was autistic about 2year plus but now with early intervention, this boy is now a parrot. He is 6years old now! He took second last term in his class. If you see him now, he speaks like the white and everybody admires him when he talks. Austism can be cured 98% take it from me my friend cos I have seen with my eyes.
But in all, may God Almighty bless us all with healthy children amen!
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by ststyreal(f): 10:41pm On Jun 03, 2018
jaid23:
Waoo.. for real!

Honestly, with a living testimony sef!

1 Like

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Olatunde26: 6:47pm On Jan 25, 2019
OPAL FIELD EDUCATIONAL CENTRE
(A centre for Autism and other related disorders)

Do you have a child with autism or other related disorders like Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dysgraphia etc.

We offer a holistic educational therapy to help your child develop in the following areas:

1. Comprehension skills
2. Behavioural skills
3. Balancing skills
4. Social Interaction skills
5. Fine and gross motor skills
6. Concentration skills
7. Oral/speech skills
8. Self help skills
9. Subjects; English, Mathematics and other subjects as appropriate.

Opal Field Educational Centre is located at C17, OGD Estate, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.

Kindly contact us: 09020829810, 07036321863, 07037153550 (call or whatsapp)
Email: opalfieldschool@gmail.com
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Olatunde26: 11:29am On Aug 21, 2019
Olatunde26:
OPAL FIELD EDUCATIONAL CENTRE
(A centre for Autism and other related disorders)

Do you have a child with autism or other related disorders like Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Dysgraphia etc.

We offer a holistic educational therapy to help your child develop in the following areas:

1. Comprehension skills
2. Behavioural skills
3. Balancing skills
4. Social Interaction skills
5. Fine and gross motor skills
6. Concentration skills
7. Oral/speech skills
8. Self help skills
9. Subjects; English, Mathematics and other subjects as appropriate.

Opal Field Educational Centre is located at C17, OGD Estate, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria.

Kindly contact us: 09020829810, 07036321863, 07037153550 (call or whatsapp)
Email: opalfieldschool@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by Troynewyork(f): 7:02am On Dec 24, 2019
To lenonGod continue to look to the Lord Jesus I also have a special needs daughter 9 years old.
Re: Mum With An Autistic Child Reflects On Her Emotional Journey As He Turns 10 by cloud(m): 3:48pm On Dec 06, 2020
Barney11:
Very insensitive of you. You mustn't make a joke of everything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Man Seeks Divorce Over Inability To Satisfy Wife With Sex / Love In NYSC Camp: OCI Foundation Founder Marks 15th Marriage Anniversary / Three-year-old Falls Into Well While Playing With Friends (photo)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.