Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,386 members, 7,836,552 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday (32204 Views)

Incessant Attacks: Banks To Be Shut From Monday / Nigerians To Pay Stamp Duty On ATM Printouts, Some Whatsapp Messages - FIRS / Alcohol Consumers, Smokers To Pay More As Federal Govt Raises Excise Duty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by prolifik83(m): 10:17pm On Jun 03, 2018
dre11:

http://punchng.com/nigerians-to-pay-more-for-alcohol-cigarette-as-from-monday/

Omo no more pump price, I brought a bottle of Heineken 500 buck this evening, Budweiser till take over.

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Abdul4trust1(m): 10:18pm On Jun 03, 2018
diebuhari1:
They have already increased prices of beer, Buhari is stylishly implementing Sharia.
My annoyance is that the so called Sharia states will receive a large chunk of this increased tax on alcohol.
Nigeria is useless
Must You Associate EveryThing To Religion?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by PureMe01: 10:18pm On Jun 03, 2018
majamajic:

Bros once it affect drink and smoke, do u think it won't affect olosho ? cos I know if a man don't drink or smoke, he is very good in women affairs.
e come be like say na there I fall in
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by diebuhari1: 10:20pm On Jun 03, 2018
[quote author=prolifik83 post=68153740][/quote] It's the same price
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Jobabori(m): 10:22pm On Jun 03, 2018
Would the price increase affect locally produced beer?. If yes I port from Heineken to Sanzebrau (Saz) and If no I continue with.Heineken
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by contigiency(m): 10:27pm On Jun 03, 2018
chilariye:
Senate Should Pass A Bill To Stop Employment Age Discrimination. What happens to the youths above 30 years? Are they not Nigerians? Who should provide jobs for them? Considering the struggle and delay that Nigerian Youths go through to have a university education coupled with incessant strikes, there should be NO age barrier to job employment. If FG jobs can peg age limit at 30, why should we still allow politicians to contest at age above 60 years? Check FRSC, Nigeria Prison Service, Police recruitment and the likes, the maximum age limit is between 28-30 years.
Job seekers are confronted with many barriers. Of all the problems, age appears to take the lead. Even when the applicant is qualified for the job, his age can be an obstacle, writes MUYIWA LUCAS.
THE number of the country’s unemployed youths may continue to grow in leaps and bounds. This is because of a seeming clog employers have placed in the way of job seekers. Presently, not only must a job seeker graduate with very high grades, his age at the time of seeking employment has now become as equally important as his good grades.
At business districts, they are noticeable as they comb the streets in a well dressed suit, moving from offices to offices to submit job applications but during the short-listing; most companies dump their applications despite their impressive CV.
Hakeem Akintunde used to be a victim of age barrier in the labour market but the US visa lottery which he won in 2013 helped him out of the quagmire. He finished his degree at the age of 28 but most of the jobs he applied for turned him down because he did not qualify for age benchmark of 25 at a new generation bank among several others.
He is not alone. Uche Chiwendu finished her degree at the age of 26 from University of Port Harcourt with 2.1 grade in Accounting. She applied for a job at a leading auditing firm in Lagos. She was called for interview but at the final stage of the interview which she passed, the head of the interview team praised her for displaying excellence performance. She was however told that part of the company policy is that any candidate at the entry level should not be more than 23yrs. Chiwendu almost collapsed.
Sometimes in 2013, Tue July 2, KPMG International, a global network of professional services firms providing Audit, Tax and Advisory services advertised job vacancy for graduate trainee copied on www. with job reference number J2013. With 100 slots available in Lagos, the company requested that interested candidates should posses’ first class or second class (Upper) in any discipline, five O’level credits (including English & Math) at one sitting with an age ceaveat: “Not more than 26 years.”
Age discrimination in employment has become a major problem facing graduates and non-graduates in Nigeria. It has continued to enhance the unemployment situation in the country. Take a look at vacancy adverts in Nigeria and you will see how they are equipped with age restrictions and sometime certificate barriers. A typical example reads, “Candidate must not be more than 25 years of age, must possess a good university degree with a second class honours (Upper division). Candidate must have at least 10 to 15 years of experience”. Emphasis hardly placed on competence.
Sadly, a practice which was mainly associated with the banking industry has spread to other sectors. Today, government institutions Champion this course. Even foreign companies indulge in the practice when they do not have similar conditions in their own countries.
President General of Trade Union Congress (TUC) Comrade Bobooi Bala described age barrier in employment requirement as an unwholesome development.
“In other parts of the world, employers look at your competence. They never bother with your age as long as you can do the work efficiently. In the US, you see people still getting new jobs at 50; people are still working at 60 years. There is another thing they do here. They ask for seven, eight years experience. Can anybody acquire experience without first getting a job? It is really sad. People are taking advantage of the unemployment situation.”
Akintunde Ojo, a businessman, said employers are not inserting the age clause to prevent any class of people from getting employed. They are just looking for the best in terms of efficiency and disposition.
“You know the older you are, the tendency for you to be slowed down by age. I also tried in vain to get paid employment. My inability to get a job after six years of leaving the university, made me go into auto spares business.”
He, however, added that not everyone would be able to raise capital from family members like he did. He appealed to employers to consider the state of the nation and try to remove the age clause from vacancy adverts.
Comrade Lateef Oyelekan, President, National Union of Food Beverage and Tobacco Employees (NUFBTE), appealed to employers to remove the age clause, and consider competence instead of insisting on employing people within a certain age bracket only. He said they should also consider experience in their search for workers as experience goes hand in hand with age.
“Many people are frustrated, not because they cannot acquire the necessary qualification needed to secure employment, but because employers make them feel rejected. Many have lost hope.
“Employers should consider older citizens who have the required qualification for jobs,” he said.
The National Assemby has made efforts in the past to ensure that employers at all levels remove age barrier clause in their employment criteria. An Act to prohibit age discrimination in employment in the public and private Sectors in Nigeria sponsored by Hon. Hassan El-Badawywas debated but nothing has come out of the assembly.
With age discrimination in the labour market, a job recruitment expert, Mr. Michael Omole, said most Nigerians studying part time programmes without being engaged in a job already might not have a company to employ them as a result of age barrier which prevented them from going to school on time. He said government should enact the bill on age discrimination in other to make companies stop this act.
Source: https://www.thenationonlineng.net/age-barrier

This is the kind of issues our youths should be staging a protest about, both in fiscal and online or social media. Engage the national assembly with constant disturbance until it is done. Not things like our mumu done do, fighting for greedy politicians with our data in nairaland and stuffs like that which makes no direct impact on our well being. I personally appreciate this your points.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jun 03, 2018
Odey1997:
Who knows maybe they're trying to curb the amount of drunkards and chronic smokers
yea like those ones dat vomit,piss and sleep inside gutter wen dem don drink to stupor.i wonder how one of my paddy go cope cos dat one can consume 8 bottles of star larger beer at a sitting. If u see him right now im stomach don turn to drum. Doesn't joke with beer and pepper soup.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by daniya10(m): 10:28pm On Jun 03, 2018
ZombiePUNISHER:
Islamisation is in full swing

I know this administration is biased

But Bros, Alcohol is prohibited in the Bible as well.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by badesco(m): 10:29pm On Jun 03, 2018
I would not be surprised if this clueless government come up with food tax soon.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jun 03, 2018
Lool I usually drink 6-7 bottles at a go, my stomach never big o
lefulefu:
yea like those ones dat vomit,piss and sleep inside gutter wen dem don drink to stupor.i wonder how one of my paddy go cope cos dat one can consume 8 bottles of star larger beer at a sitting. If u see him right now im stomach don turn to drum. Doesn't joke with beer and pepper soup.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by CodeTemplar: 10:35pm On Jun 03, 2018
Blue3k:
The government adding more taxes to vices everyday. Lol its a good time to quit smoking and drinking. At the very least cut back.
Good move but we can't keep increasing taxes of unproductive things, we need to also check our population growth.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by ZombiePUNISHER: 10:38pm On Jun 03, 2018
daniya10:

But Bros, Alcohol is prohibited in the Bible as well.

Don't say what you don't know

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by derrydinny: 10:39pm On Jun 03, 2018
why are some people saying the south Will be sustaining the north from the tax? hausa and fulani dey drink and smoke o, e too bad for north o, everybody dey smoke for that side o
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jun 03, 2018
DonPiiko:
Lool I usually drink 6-7 bottles at a go, my stomach never big o
for real? 7 bottles of star larger beer at a sitting? ... Is it everyday u consume 7 bottles? Dis my guy na every evenin im dey consume im own. In d mornin he tell me say he go use one bottle of beer take rinse mouth before im do anything. Right now if u see im stomach he look like a woman wey dey at an advanced stage of pregnancy. If dis guy hear dis news he will run mad cos he like beer no be smallcheesy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by johnwell(m): 10:43pm On Jun 03, 2018
chyy5:
What n0nsense is this? Beer that makes us forget this useless government they want to hike the price.Anything that Easterners and southerners consume is always a target. The money will still be used to develop North

Buharia is an old insane man that needs to be handled with fire
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 03, 2018
derrydinny:
why are some people saying the south Will be sustaining the north from the tax? hausa and fulani dey drink and smoke o, e too bad for north o, everybody dey smoke for that side o
so they no longer practice sharia in d north again?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 03, 2018
Mostly Friday's after work, but I am trying to reduce I drink harp, star is not really strong.
lefulefu:
for real? 7 bottles of star larger beer at a sitting? ... Is it everyday u consume 7 bottles? Dis my guy na every evenin im dey consume im own. In d mornin he tell me say he go use one bottle of beer take rinse mouth before im do anything. Right now if u see im stomach he look like a woman wey dey at an advanced stage of pregnancy. If dis guy hear dis news he will run mad cos he like beer no be smallcheesy.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by mkoabiola: 10:48pm On Jun 03, 2018
In other words,weed will b cheaper or still remain at N50 per stick since there is no tax on weed
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:51pm On Jun 03, 2018
DonPiiko:
Mostly Friday's after work, but I am trying to reduce I drink harp, star is not really strong.
they want to increase tax duties on alcohol and cigarette cos its the same way it has been done in Europe. Funny thing is that Africans now smoke more than Europeans and yet we live in a very hot regioncheesy.... D ironycheesy. Its a good thing u cutting down on d alcohol... Too much alcohol no too good inside man system abegcheesy.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:53pm On Jun 03, 2018
I am trying to quit totally, I don't smoke at all only cohiba cigarettes, but I have stopped for a while, I smoked weed many years ago and the thing almost spark wire inside my brain so I hang boot, all these things name youthful exuberance, as we grow older we go dump the habits.
lefulefu:
they want to increase tax duties on alcohol and cigarette cos its the same way it has been done in Europe. Funny thing is that Africans now smoke more than Europeans and yet we live in a very hot regioncheesy.... D ironycheesy. Its a good thing u cutting down on d alcohol... Too much alcohol no too good inside man system abegcheesy.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by omojesu202(m): 10:54pm On Jun 03, 2018
blakid:
Hope my Star Radla is not involved in this development.

if retailers follow the increments, then star radler will be the highest hit. but don't worry, highest N50 diff
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 03, 2018
princeatom:
Drunkards and smokers to pay more not Nigerians. You don’t have to be a Nigerian to buy cigarettes and alcohol. I don’t know why our journalists are not professional enough in information dissemination
lol i tire for dem.as if its every nigerian that drinks and smokescheesy
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jun 03, 2018
DonPiiko:
I am trying to quit totally, I don't smoke at all only cohiba cigarettes, but I have stopped for a while, I smoked weed many years ago and the thing almost spark wire inside my brain so I hang boot, all these things name youthful exuberance, as we grow older we go dump the habits.
yes as we grow older we dey drop d habit..so truecheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by mightyhazell: 11:02pm On Jun 03, 2018
lefulefu:
tell dat ur guy say kidney and liver diseases dey real o.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jun 03, 2018
mightyhazell:
tell dat ur guy say kidney and liver diseases dey real o.
last time i tell am such he come dey vex with me wetin concern me. I just hope he has a good girlfriend wey go force am to give up d drinking habit
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by DJMCOTTY(m): 11:18pm On Jun 03, 2018
Thank god say SK no dey too smell, e go replace cigar for me
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Tobycharles: 11:20pm On Jun 03, 2018
Viergeachar:
Thank God I neither smoke nor drink.

E no concern me!

But u womanizer?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Kingspin(m): 11:20pm On Jun 03, 2018
Why the increase? Any reason shared?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by GuntersChain(m): 11:31pm On Jun 03, 2018
e no consign my kunu and zobo drink.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by seguno2: 12:27am On Jun 04, 2018
Solstar:
I hope it will not affect palmy.

Why not?
Dey there dey hope while Buhari and APC continue their demonic mission to steal, kill and destroy our country.
You can only stop them with your PVC.
Do you have one? What of your family and friends? Do they also have their own PVCs
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by seguno2: 12:30am On Jun 04, 2018
diebuhari1:
They have already increased prices of beer, Buhari is stylishly implementing Sharia.
My annoyance is that the so called Sharia states will receive a large chunk of this increased tax on alcohol.
Nigeria is useless

Nigeria is not useless.
It is you and others who allow Buhari and APC to rule ruin our country who are useless.
Make sure that you have your PVC and contributing your money to political parties to campaign for better candidates.
That is how you can make our country useful.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Alcohol, Cigarette As From Monday by Rexnegro(m): 1:30am On Jun 04, 2018
chyy5:
What n0nsense is this? Beer that makes us forget this useless government they want to hike the price.Anything that Easterners and southerners consume is always a target. The money will still be used to develop North
who tell u say u drink beer or alcohol pass northerners ? no just go there bro .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Man Returns Money And ATM Card He Found At ATM Point To A Bank In Sokoto (Photo) / UBA Announces Improved Staff Welfare, Pay Rise Amid Rising Inflation, Hardship / Name One Household Or Food Item Whose Price Has Come Down

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.