Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria (18659 Views)

FOI: Nigerian Universities Ignore Enquiries On Sexual Harassment Cases / How Federal Polytechnic Idah Spelt 'Acknowledgement' And 'Confirm' On Its Portal / How Federal Universities Are Covering Up Corruption And Sexual Harassment-SERAP (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by miceroms: 8:15pm On Jun 06, 2018
When they all talk about public reforms, I wonder what they actually mean. If as basic as this, they can’t rectify then what can they do.. WhatsApp and Facebook.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by otokx(m): 8:24pm On Jun 06, 2018
The op just crucified the word - "ignore", truth is many of those universities don't have quality electricity or internet access to respond to email requests, you cannot ignore what you did not see.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by bombodon44: 8:52pm On Jun 06, 2018
This is so sad...will buhari also be blamed for this?...A friend of mine once had a mail sent from the university he applied for to FUTO, he had to buy fuel for them, recharge their modem before he it was been attended to. He noticed bulk of mails that has not been attended to that same day...I weep for this country...some people somewhere receive salaries for this.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by bombodon44: 8:57pm On Jun 06, 2018
By the way, this post is ripe for front page....
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by aspirebig: 9:00pm On Jun 06, 2018
It ia very possible.

When you are applying for M.sc or Phd you will asked to leave your email. You never receive a single mail from the school till the program is over.

But send a mail to Universities in America, Canada or Australia , you will get a reaponse in 48 hours max.Even you get auto response in most cases if it is during the weekend or holidays before the reply proper will come.

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 06, 2018
SirLakes:

Lazy fuckster tongue
Is that the summary
angry
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by kosoko00: 9:31pm On Jun 06, 2018
chuksjuve:
Lemme tell you a joke.

Nigeria is the giant of Africa

Funny right ?

That's the situation we have found ourselves ..

Let's pray

But 4 how long we go pray 4 same thing?
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Horus(m): 9:43pm On Jun 06, 2018
How you deal with email says something fundamental about how reliable you are. If you don’t respond to emails, people won’t trust you.
When they don’t trust you, they won’t respect you. And when they don’t respect you, they’ll never see you as credible.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Temitoppe(m): 10:07pm On Jun 06, 2018
Before i gained admission into the university
I had Always thought the university would be the “perfect” community
Mba
It was far from it.
Our education Na hypocrisy
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by DrMuzungu(m): 10:12pm On Jun 06, 2018
Haaaaaa... Many years ago (more than 5, less than 16), I applied for a debit (ATM) card with one of the major Nigerian banks. They advertised the delivery of the card within 3 weeks, which sounded reasonable. After 3 weeks, no card. I visited the bank once again, no card. So I kept e-mailing them since it wasn't convenient for me to go there every fvcking day. Not a single response within a month of e-mailing. So, one day, my boss was having a lunch with the CEO of that very bank. He jokingly told the man about my problem, so the man called me, gave me his card and asked to email them right away and put him in CC. I did just that, and they responded with a huge apology less than 15 minutes later. So, they DID see probably every of my e-mails but didn't have any fvck to give until their job was in question cheesy

2 Likes

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by encryptjay(m): 10:13pm On Jun 06, 2018
otokx:
The op just crucified the word - "ignore", truth is many of those universities don't have quality electricity or internet access to respond to email requests, you cannot ignore what you did not see.

Electricity and internet is there boss. If only they had dedicated staff who handles such issues.
Some use the internet for Facebook and other ventures and hardly check mails. The numbers on their sites are useless; they never pick calls and they even switch off their lines if there's a persistent caller.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by encryptjay(m): 10:16pm On Jun 06, 2018
DrMuzungu:
Haaaaaa... Many years ago (more than 5, less than 16), I applied for a debit (ATM) card with one of the major Nigerian banks. They advertised the delivery of the card within 3 weeks, which sounded reasonable. After 3 weeks, no card. I visited the bank once again, no card. So I kept e-mailing them since it wasn't convenient for me to go there every fvcking day. Not a single response within a month of e-mailing. So, one day, my boss was having a lunch with the CEO of that very bank. He jokingly told the man about my problem, so the man called me, gave me his card and asked to email them right away and put him in CC. I did just that, and they responded with a huge apology less than 15 minutes later. So, they DID see probably every of my e-mails but didn't have any fvck to give until their job was in question cheesy
They see it and ignore, some even play raffle draws with mails.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by guiddoti: 10:18pm On Jun 06, 2018
sean079:
Nigeria is a destiny killer and destroyer. That was how futa refused to respond to mail from Norway about certificates confirmation. And you see them shouting investors up and down
Not only futa, uniport is another killer university. It wouldn't attend to your need on time, even want you pay from table-to-table and office-to-office. God pass them

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Abdul4trust1(m): 10:26pm On Jun 06, 2018
connectikut89:
Thank you for bringing this up OP. I sent an enquiry e-mail to my alma mater, Uniben, since last year. I'm yet to get a response till date. Highly irresponsible!
i Once Sent A Message To NECO To Find Out The Requirements For Collecting Certificate. After Few Weeks I Receive A Response That The Certificate Is Ready But They Didn't State The Requirements For Collection. Then, I Sent Another One Again Till Now No Response. The Most Painful Thing Is That I Travelled To Collect The Certificate But I Was Turn Back Because I Did Not Meet The Requirement For Collection. And My Effort That Day Was In Vail.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by DrMuzungu(m): 10:29pm On Jun 06, 2018
encryptjay:
They see it and ignore, some even play raffle draws with mails.

You know, it is not so much different here where we live now (in Europe). Wife was going to the government hospital on the private basis (the top oga doctor was asking her to come there instead of his private clinic, because it was more convenient). Since patients do not usually go there, the nurse who received us was extremely rude and aggressive. But when he came and shook my hand, she suddenly became very polite and all smile. There is a lot of good people out there, but also a lot a$$holes. They pretend to be nice only when their interests are at stake.

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by ikay00406(m): 10:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
I sent an e-mail to covenant university post graduate school about post graduate studies enquires and they replied within 24hours..Nice one CU..The best among d rest.

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by iamclime(m): 11:04pm On Jun 06, 2018
I can relate with the points in this post. As a researcher who has to get data on a host of things, I can say almost ALL of the institutions in Nigeria, private and public, are guilty of this. Many organisations just want to be seen as ICT compliant without any active effort to implement customer-centric policies and strategies. Tertiary academic institutions, in most cases, operate poorly designed websites. Some institutions even prefer using more of social media to the detriment of their own websites!
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by zone51: 11:07pm On Jun 06, 2018
You forgot to add University of Maiduguri
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by encryptjay(m): 11:22pm On Jun 06, 2018
DrMuzungu:

You know, it is not so much different here where we live now (in Europe). Wife was going to the government hospital on the private basis (the top oga doctor was asking her to come there instead of his private clinic, because it was more convenient). Since patients do not usually go there, the nurse who received us was extremely rude and aggressive. But when he came and shook my hand, she suddenly became very polite and all smile. There is a lot of good people out there, but also a lot a$$holes. They pretend to be nice only when their interests are at stake.
You're on point.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by DTalented(m): 11:41pm On Jun 06, 2018
The Bank of Industry (BOI) is yet to reply the email i sent in January this year.
I'm also still waiting for reply of the one i sent N-power early 2017.
I wish this country can be recolonized but this time, by the US.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Supuruchi2443(m): 2:28am On Jun 07, 2018
The stuff makes me sick. You'll send email and chase it with your legs. Naija which way??
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Rochex4ng: 3:13am On Jun 07, 2018
OboOlora:
When they tell u to attend good schools like Unilag, U will carry ur big head and be attending OSU, Lautech and unaab where the head of records still rely on files and cabinets!

don’t come on here and start saying what you don’t know..I’m a ladokite and the school email is working and you can contact the school through the email and they respond actively..that’s a screenshot of my student email and I get update of what happen in the school everyday ...just telling you to know what you are saying ..Thank you

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by bb12008: 5:22am On Jun 07, 2018
OAU Ile-Ife, Nigeria has functional email and they responded to my request for international office recommendation for overseas education application.
really surprised. kudos to OAU registry.just send your copy of certificate and details of your application.
exams_records@oauife.edu.ng
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by EagleNest(m): 5:51am On Jun 07, 2018
This is what we call "fact finding". Well done researcher. These are the stuff I want to see in Nairaland front-page everyday. Something that queries the system for a positive change. Not gossips on Bobrisky, Davido, Whizkid, BBNaija, etc

Obviously, the Nigeria government university system is full of analogue staff and runs analogue office system. ICT departments are just theory based and does little to put knowledge to practise. I remember in those days - learning computer Basics, Fortran and Pascal Languages without seeing computer.

How we manage to do things in Nigeria baffles me. You cannot request transcripts online like universities in western world. Are we really part of this world or are we created to add to number.

Same analogue system is in federal and state governments including judiciary, parastatals, etc

And this is why corruption in government is endemic because of too much human involvement.

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by tosinet(m): 6:25am On Jun 07, 2018
Most of the older generations in the education system and other organisations are not technology savvy... More than 80% of non-teaching and administrative staff of institutions could barely use computer and mostly its for typing and printing memos.

That's part of the main reason the country is lagging behind in all phases of development. For instance, check the police, fire service, emergency response teams, FRSC, etc. By now there should be a central emergency call centre as obtained in other countries where you just call an emergency number like 000, 112, 911, 999 etc to get prompt response for emergencies.

More than two communication/imaging satellites has been launched in Nigeria still it is not benefitting anyone as almost all organisations are still stuck with the analog ways. Even our military and police are not making use of it to combat crime. Cheap internet service that should be available and benefit all Nigerians is still a long thing. I even heard one of our satellites got lost in space...

Many corrupt practices being perpetrated and sustained today is because of the analog way of keeping records, giving reports, accounting etc

Proper identification is non existence in the country as not more than 10% of Nigerian populace have national ID card. How do you secure or provide facilities for unknown number of users? Any effort being made towards moving to the digital way of doing things are always met with resistance, hostility and frustrations just to maintain the status quo.

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by penance(m): 7:18am On Jun 07, 2018
OboOlora:
When they tell u to attend good schools like Unilag, U will carry ur big head and be attending OSU, Lautech and unaab where the head of records still rely on files and cabinets!

You know see say unilag dey the list grin
records still rely on files and cabinets!

[/quote]
You know see say unilag dey the list
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by TrillionBrains(m): 7:19am On Jun 07, 2018
This seriously is a no-brainer. UNIJOS don't have an [url=trilloonclues.com] active working mail[/url]? Am completely stunned to tell you
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by Jhoanner(f): 8:00am On Jun 07, 2018
Brilliant post! Keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by MMADE(m): 10:29am On Jun 07, 2018
sean079:
Nigeria is a destiny killer and destroyer. That was how futa refused to respond to mail from Norway about certificates confirmation. And you see them shouting investors up and down

It's so unnerving how Nigerian universities run their system. I experience similar issue when a university in Norway offered me a provisional admission but university of Ilorin did not respond to mail sent to them for certificates confirmation. The admission was later annulled due to their lack of response.
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 10:55am On Jun 07, 2018
penance:

You know see say unilag dey the list grin
records still rely on files and cabinets!
You know see say unilag dey the list
Check our signature in blue just here below and you will be better enlightened. You can contact us by clicking the WhatsApp Chat link...
Re: How Federal Universities Ignore Email Enquiries In Nigeria by otokx(m): 11:43am On Jun 07, 2018
encryptjay:

Electricity and internet is there boss. If only they had dedicated staff who handles such issues.
Some use the internet for Facebook and other ventures and hardly check mails. The numbers on their sites are useless; they never pick calls and they even switch off their lines if there's a persistent caller.

There is epileptic to near zero electricity or internet, if you know you know, staff cannot perform magic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unn Pre-science/remedial/pre-degree Form/diploma Form Out For Sale / Ijmb In Ilorin - Everything You Need To Know And More / Ozofor Ikenna Henry: UNIZIK Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.