Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,429 members, 7,954,674 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:51 AM

Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? (1497 Views)

The American Dream: A Mirage; Only Racism, Poverty & Gun Violence Are Realities / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by acorntree(m): 6:40pm On Jun 05, 2018
Don't come to Canada with super high expectations or you will be disappointed quickly. If you have a great job with good benefits where you are, pls. stay there. A lot of high skilled immigrants I've met as an employment counsellor who helps to find jobs in Canada are demoralized as they can not find equal level jobs they left back home. Know this, your skills are not considered comparable. Period. You will start from the BOTTOM! Discrimination exist covertly. Your accent, communication skills,your ability to convey knowledge/ experience in the Canadian context might differ from what You are accustomed to. You will have to be on top of your game. It might be about who you Know. Networking is sometimes key. Know your job description well. Interviews are not about knowing your skills. It's also about that and more. Chance are you don't don't have appropriate answers. What they need, want to hear. Chances are you did not know what they want because you did not read, research and learn about the company and industry and job duties, you did not research the Canadian context of the job. It's cumbersome if not prepared. Another idea per my experience, remove countries you've gained experience or worked in from resume to gain attention clear and void of what's deemed foreign experience, not canadian experience. I came here in 2007. I speak well. Even with a good amount of good American accent in Canada, unless nervous then it shows. I know my shit! In fact my name could never tell that I am black, African. I get the interviews but once they are my black face, all else changed. So beware folks! Unless your life is threatened in your country. If you have respect in your profession and a good job where you are, stay put. North America, Canada is no joke for those educated people, secure in your knowledge, you will have to start from the begining even with Phds. Medical doctors. Master's from abroad… think carefully before you come! Consult an employment counsellor and even they can not predict your future. I have been there. Just saying!

2 Likes

Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by acorntree(m): 6:41pm On Jun 05, 2018
source: https://www.quora.com/Do-you-regret-moving-to-Canada

Nigerian in Canada what's your personal experience about jobs, professional career, future of children , etc. I noticed that when many Nigerians that have migrated to Canada remain silent. how are you doing?
we need your sincere personal experience.
Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by ednut1(m): 6:43pm On Jun 05, 2018
I am going, all these mofos cant stop me. My guy below got a job in less dan a month. Accounts payable officer. Make una csrry una negativity go

1 Like

Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by emeijeh(m): 6:48pm On Jun 05, 2018
ednut1:
I am going, all these mofos cant stop me

5 Likes

Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 05, 2018
If i can survive in Lagos for all these years, just try me with Canada first.
Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by acorntree(m): 6:57pm On Jun 05, 2018
ednut1:
I am going, all these mofos cant stop me. My guy below got a job in less dan a month. Accounts payable officer. Make una csrry una negativity go

Do you have personal experience about life in Canada? my pal told me is just hearsay!
Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by ednut1(m): 7:03pm On Jun 05, 2018
acorntree:

Do you have personal experience about life in Canada? my pal told me is just hearsay!
i hv about uk. Which is similar
Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by ttmacoy: 7:15pm On Jun 05, 2018
UK, US, Canada Australia etc are all different so I wouldn't use your UK experience for Canadian expectations. Also don't forget there has been a high number of migration to Canada over the past few years which means those opportunities are diluted given the number of people in competition. The Canadian economy is not currently growing as fast as the number of people coming in.

Having said that it all depends on where you are coming from and what you do. IF not too senior or not a high earner then it may be worth it as it takes time to be established. If you are fairly senior and established in your career or a high earner, I will be wary unless you are doing it for your kids future.

ednut1:
i hv about uk. Which is similar

3 Likes

Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by ednut1(m): 7:19pm On Jun 05, 2018
ttmacoy:
UK, US, Canada Australia etc are all different so I wouldn't use your UK experience for Canadian expectations. Also don't forget there has been a high number of migration to Canada over the past few years which means those opportunities are diluted given the number of people in competition. The Canadian economy is not currently growing as fast as the number of people coming in.

Having said that it all depends on where you are coming from and what you do. IF not too senior or not a high earner then it may be worth it as it takes time to be established. If you are fairly senior and established in your career or a high earner, I will be wary unless you are doing it for your kids future.

most pple are not coming for economic reasons but good life for themselves nd kids.
Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by ttmacoy: 7:21pm On Jun 05, 2018
Fair enough which was why i said unless it's for their kids future. Still depending on where they are in Nigeria you can end up giving up a lot but you are right the kids will have better opportunities as they will grow up in the system.

The important thing for me is people need to be upfront and clear of expectations eg I have seen people who say I am going for kids but then when reality hits they start getting disillusioned and discouraged that they are unable to secure jobs at similar levels they are used to. Leads to some degree of frustration once the honeymoon period is over.

ednut1:
most pple are not coming for economic reasons but good life for themselves nd kids.

4 Likes

Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by salford1: 7:41pm On Jun 05, 2018
Sometimes, life is all about taking risk.
Re: Is Canadian Dream A Mirage? by travelland(f): 8:10pm On Jun 05, 2018
acorntree:
source: https://www.quora.com/Do-you-regret-moving-to-Canada

Nigerian in Canada what's your personal experience about jobs, professional career, future of children , etc. I noticed that when many Nigerians that have migrated to Canada remain silent. how are you doing?
we need your sincere personal experience.

You went to the place where the truth is told. Why ask again?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I Have A 3 Months Egypt Visa / Despites Racism, I Still Love These Countries. / Shenghen Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.