Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,459 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! (1546 Views)

Man Arrested For Overtaking Ugandan's Vice President's Convoy (photos) / Cameroon Fires Two Army Officers After Boko Haram raids! / Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ojame(m): 7:42am On May 31, 2010
So, we learn this morning that the sea convoy attempting to provide 10 tonnes of much needed aid to the inhabitants of Gaza is fired on in international waters and many die as a result.
Already, Turkey summons the Israeli Ambassador and protests take place outside the Israeli consulate.
What's your take on this? Has Israel gone too far? Were they (Israel) within their rights to take such action? Have they broken international law? Should other countries (noticeably silent at the moment) follow Turkey's lead? Is it time to demand for sanctions and the Isolation of Israel?

Look forward to a constructive discussion on this matter.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by hikins: 8:01am On May 31, 2010
fela don talk am sey na all the problems of this world na im we dey carry for Africa, wetin concern us concern 'unarmed aid convoy attack'?

una go jus dey dey find wetin to yarn about wen no concern una

make u dey think before you post sometimes
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by member31: 8:06am On May 31, 2010
Dis is truly madness Y should the international community tolerate this i cant believe wat i am seeing on Al jazeera. Israel should be punished for for its excesses , embarassed shocked cry
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 9:41am On May 31, 2010
爱:

Dis is truly madness Y should the international community tolerate this i cant believe wat i am seeing on Al jazeera. Israel should be punished for for its excesses , embarassed shocked cry

You wait there are some people who would come in soon to tell us they (Isreal) has the right to commit any atrocity since they are Gods chosen people. I hope they are bold enough to come out this time and tell us what harm a Turkey ship could possibly do to Israeli soldiers.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by 4Play(m): 10:23am On May 31, 2010
Why didn't these ''activists'' ship the goods to Ashdod and then have it transported to Gaza by land instead of attacking the soldiers? They are more interested in staging a publicity stunt than the actual mechanics of bringing aid into Gaza. Can they please stage the same operation for Darfur, people are actually starving in African conflicts.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 11:03am On May 31, 2010
4 Play:

Why didn't these ''activists'' ship the goods to Ashdod and then have it transported to Gaza by land instead of attacking the soldiers? They are more interested in staging a publicity stunt than the actual mechanics of bringing aid into Gaza. Can they please stage the same operation for Darfur, people are actually starving in African conflicts.

I thought the same thing.

While we will not know the exact ins and outs of who initiated the violence. I can't help but think that this is nothing but a stunt to undermine Israel. Is it a coincidence that this happen the day before Israel is meant to hold talks with US? Hmmm time will tell. Also further coincidence that an Islamic leader is reported to be on-board?

I have followed the story from the onset and it appears that Israel have made their point clear - They will have to board and search/get permission etc.

Also, there is a breaking news saying weapons have been found on board the cargo. But I am guessing, the usual suspect would claim it is nothing but propaganda and it was planted by the Zionist regime.

I regret any loss of life to be honest, but for how long will this carry on?

Here is a quick quote from a piece I read earlier on.

The aim of the fleet was to highlight the three-year Israeli and Egyptian blockade of Gaza, imposed after the Islamist movement Hamas fought a bloody civil war for control of the coastal enclave with its secular rivals Fatah.

I guess they succeeded in pulling of the stunt? Make up your own mind. smiley

It will be interesting to see what the upcoming days hold, as there are more vessels/cargo coming in from the same group.

PS
Israel will have a hard time defending its actions in international waters. I wonder anyone know what the law says on this?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 11:31am On May 31, 2010
They are here.

Isreal stages a blockade which is Illegal and kills 20 unarmed activists on international waters, not even in there territory, what right does Isreali soldiers have boarding the ship on internatinal waters, do you guys ever ask questions?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 11:36am On May 31, 2010
Yes questions are being asked, maybe just not the one you want?

Like what are the laws regarding incident like this on international waters.

Like why are there weapons on board?

Like why the timing of this incident now?

Like who is behind the sponsorship of this aid?

Like the rules of engagement, makes it clear that you can defend yourself if fired upon - Or return fire only policy.

Like questions that have been asked but never get answers and instead sidelined. . .
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 11:40am On May 31, 2010
By the way boarding of a ship in international waters amount to piracy, however going by what I have read from around forums. It will unlikely to hold in this case. Ships that have suspect cargo can be boarded in international waters.  Nations of the world have done it before when necessary.

It is easy to get sidelined and point fingers. It should however be noted that there are background issues to all of these before it got to this stage.

The blockage is there for several reasons. Trying to by pass this, when there are existing acceptable way round the blockade is in my opinion calling for trouble.

Information are still coming out, and over days it will become clearer. In the mean time, there are more than meet the eyes.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 11:57am On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

By the way boarding of a ship in international waters amount to piracy

Period.

The illegal blockade was to punish Gaza residents for electing Hamas, there has been no easy route into Gaza, and who is Isreal to tell the world what route to take to get to Gaza as long as it not through Isreali, airspace, waters or land.

Now lets even imagine that there was to be a check which was practically unnecesary as they were informed this convoy would be coming through, they could as well have warned that they would like to come on board to do a check.

But to kill 20 unarmed men is just sending a clear message that Isreal would not tolerate any aid for Gaza citizens.

There were even Irish and Swedish citizen onboard those ships, are we now all terrorist as long as we dont agree to Isrealis view?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 12:13pm On May 31, 2010
You cannot pick a point out of context to aid your views. undecided Not sure saying "period" is the end of it. Try to be objective I think.

Have stated before Piracy may not be applicable to here. I am not legal eagle, however I do share this point. UK patrols board ships and intercept them before the even reach UK waters. Should that be piracy? Russsia do the same is that Piracy too? Iran have boarded suspect boat in international waters [and with very good reason too]. The point is, do not just lift what suite you while ignoring the bigger issue.

There are various side as to why there is a blockade on gaza. One side's argument will not achieve anything but endless bickering. Mind you, not that I am in support of the action of the blockage, neither are both sides giving me a reason to think their argument out-weighs the other.

Palasteine point of view - We are suffering, we are caged in etc.

Israeli point of view - We gave back what we could and now they allow their people to fire on us. etc

You see, both sides in my opinion have a valid argument and to see that the whole aid convoy is trying to ignore these issues while trying to bring in aid when there are proper channels [may not be a channel that is everybody's cup of tea] are being ignored is asking for trouble.

From the way it stands, the use of weapons on "unarmed" civilians is bad. Very bad.  However, one can make a point that if proper channels was followed - i.e not trying to undermine the routine in which aids are let in - it could have possibly prevented this?

The deaths would be investigated, and like I have said before. It is early days and more news will be coming out. So far, it looks very bad for Israel.

By the way, the killing of 20 people, do not in my opinion suggest they do not want aid in. After all, aids was getting in all along, but slowly. I instead, see it as "do not confront us and follow the right channels" but then this is my view and my view only.

By the way, what do you make of the news that Weapons were found on board? No one seem to be saying much in regards to this.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 12:19pm On May 31, 2010
Another thing I was just thinking is that those known peace protesters on board, may not be aware of the whole situation. For example, they may have been assured no weapons were on board etc. But reports coming out, says other wise.

They may have lend their names and what not in good faith, but like I said the motives of the whole aid convoy looks suspicious from where I stand. Like someone said before, let them do this kind of thing to say Dafur - and perhaps they would not have followed the proper channels?

Just a thought. smiley
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

Have stated before Piracy may not be applicable to here. I am not legal eagle, however I do share this point. UK patrols board ships and intercept them before the even reach UK waters. Should that be piracy? Russsia do the same is that Piracy too? Iran have boarded suspect boat in international waters [and with very good reason too].

I answered that question above if you were reading and not biased.

Here it is again:

Ikomi:

Now lets even imagine that there was to be a check which was practically unnecesary as they were informed this convoy would be coming through, they could as well have warned that they would like to come on board to do a check.

But to kill 20 unarmed men is just sending a clear message that Isreal would not tolerate any aid for Gaza citizens.

ElRazur:

From the way it stands, the use of weapons on "unarmed" civilians is bad. Very bad. However, one can make a point that if proper channels was followed - i.e not trying to undermine the routine in which aids are let in - it could have possibly prevented this?

The deaths would be investigated, and like I have said before. It is early days and more news will be coming out. So far, it looks very bad for Israel.

By the way, the killing of 20 people, do not in my opinion suggest they do not want aid in. After all, aids was getting in all along, but slowly. I instead, see it as "do not confront us and follow the right channels" but then this is my view and my view only.

What is bad is bad there is no going round it with unneccessary argument, no matter what has been there is no reason for killing 20 unarmed citizens of the world. Turkey, Irish and Swedish.

I just hope you guys that want to always side with evil dont  allow what you preach descend on you. If you agree its bad there is no argument round it. At what point do we start mending fences, must we always relate to what has passed and that because of this or that then innocent people have to be killed.  undecided
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 12:30pm On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

Another thing I was just thinking is that those known peace protesters on board, may not be aware of the whole situation. For example, they may have been assured no weapons were on board etc. But reports coming out, says other wise.

They may have lend their names and what not in good faith, but like I said the motives of the whole aid convoy looks suspicious from where I stand. Like someone said before, let them do this kind of thing to say Dafur - and perhaps they would not have followed the proper channels?

Just a thought. smiley

Dont try to make things up, one of the occupants on the ship is just speaking on BBC, she said they were expecting Isreali soldiers to board and do a peaceful check but from the air dropping from there helicopters they opened fire.

ElRazur dont try to make things up.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 12:39pm On May 31, 2010
Ikomi:

Dont try to make things up, one of the occupants on the ship is just speaking on BBC, she said they were expecting Isreali soldiers to board and do a peaceful check but from the air dropping from there helicopters they opened fire.

ElRazur dont try to make things up.

I did made mention it was something I thought of. I never said it was conclusive, nor did I pushed it across as a fact. smiley And I ended up reinforcing the view that it is something I thought of of.

Not sure that should even be an issue.

smiley

Ikomi:

I answered that question above if you were reading and not biased.

Here it is again:

You starting post appeared to have ignored the other bit and just made on point I raised about piracy, whilst ignoring the other things attached to it and I replied to it in such manner.  smiley And yes, I have stated that it is bad and question will be asked. I am not trying to go round or even suggesting so.

I just hope you guys that want to always side with evil dont  allow what you preach descend on you. If you agree its bad there is no argument round it. At what point do we start mending fences, must we always relate to what has passed and that because of this or that then innocent people have to be killed.  undecided

Again, it is bad. I cannot stress that enough. Once again, we need to look at the bigger picture. How do you propose fences can be mend?

For example, these problems goes deeper than the incident reported here, but as it stand focus is mainly on the incident at hand. We have done this before and am not sure it's got us no where. I.e a comprehensive approach is needed as for every reaction, there was something that led to that in the first place.

Once again I have stated that I regret the loss of lives, and the whole situation as it stand looks bad, but one cannot just say that without looking at the various background issue to it.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 12:47pm On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

Again, it is bad. I cannot stress that enough. Once again, we need to look at the bigger picture. How do you propose fences can be mend?

For example, these problems goes deeper than the incident reported here, but as it stand focus is mainly on the incident at hand. We have done this before and am not sure it's got us no where. I.e a comprehensive approach is needed as for every reaction, there was something that led to that in the first place.

Once again I have stated that I regret the loss of lives, and the whole situation as it stand looks bad, but one cannot just say that without looking at the various background issue to it.

And all am trying to make you undestand is that there is practically no background issue, including those we know and those we dont know that is only known to Mr ElRazur that justifies the killing of innocent citizens on international waters.

What would have been the reaction if it was the other way round lets imagine it was Iran that carried out this atrocity would we be looking at background issues?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 12:49pm On May 31, 2010
Let me tell you, you and your Isrealis better get ready to kill more innocent citizens cause the move now would be to send all aid in from many nations, lets see how many background issues you can come up with.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 12:55pm On May 31, 2010
The crazy thing was that there were even Jews on these ships. The Zionist regime has just shot itself on the foot.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 1:03pm On May 31, 2010
Ikomi:

And all am trying to make you undestand is that there is practically no background issue, including those we know and those we dont know that is only known to Mr ElRazur that justifies the killing of innocent citizens on international waters.

What would have been the reaction if it was the other way round lets imagine it was Iran that carried out this atrocity would we be looking at background issues?

Erm, there is nothing that is not there for all to know, if you want to I guess.  smiley

Israel did ask them to go through proper channels, but as to why this was not heeded is something that is there for people to make their own mind on. smiley The vessel setting sail do not just happen in a day, things have to be uploaded, logistics made etc. And in the meantime, talks going on to avert this sort of mess.

Remember the vessel set sail to draw attention to the Gaza issue. So, one can point out that it was perhaps a deliberate move to throw away all proper protocols in order to gain maximum exposure.

We are supposed to be civil this time round and refrain from wild accusations right? Shame it aint gonna last long. I have stated time and time again that I am not in support of killing innocent people. Be it Israeli or Palestine, yet you appear to have accused me of welcoming such development. smiley

As for asking me if about Iran, did not suggest in your post that we should debate for what is on-going and remove sidelining issues? I think I'm gonna take that view and leave Iran out of this.

Ikomi:

Let me tell you, you and your Isrealis better get ready to kill more innocent citizens cause the move now would be to send all aid in from many nations, lets see how many background issues you can come up with.

One again see above. The issue of developing a mentality of "you" v "them" in a debate is not something I am keen on engaging am afraid.  smiley

If investigation shows that they fired on unarmed civilians that were going about their business and never initiated any attack, let the fullest extent of international law, condemnation and punishment be thrown at Israel.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 1:05pm On May 31, 2010
Ikomi:

Loads of Jew people embrace the Palestine movement and Hamas. This is well known. Same way, many Jews called for moving on and trying to find a lasting solution. Nothing new about that.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 1:14pm On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

Israel did ask them to go through proper channels, but as to why this was not heeded is something that is there for people to make their own mind on. smiley The vessel setting sail do not just happen in a day, things have to be uploaded, logistics made etc. And in the meantime, talks going on to avert this sort of mess.

Look there are two things I want to make you understand:

1. There is no background issue that justifies killing of innocent citizens on international waters.

2. Isreal imposed an illegal blockade on Gaza, and truly has no right to tell any harmless individual how to get to Gaza. That is the point this convoy is trying to make and somehow they have succeded.

If you agree with those two points, then truly as you said we have no argument here.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by montelik(m): 1:21pm On May 31, 2010
JERUSALEM — The Israeli Navy raided a flotilla carrying thousands of tons of supplies for Gaza in international waters on Monday morning, killing at least 10 people, according to the Israeli military and activists traveling with the flotilla. Some Israeli media reports put the death toll higher.

The incident drew widespread international condemnation, with Israeli envoys summoned to explain their country’s actions in several European countries.

The criticism offered a propaganda coup to Israel’s foes, particularly the Hamas group that holds sway in Gaza, and damaged its ties to Turkey, one of its most important Muslim partners and the unofficial sponsor of the Gaza-bound convoy. Ankara recalled its ambassador to Israel and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan cut short a visit to Latin America to return.

The killings also coincided with preparations for a planned visit to Washington on Tuesday by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

The Israeli Defense Forces said more than 10 people were killed when naval personnel boarding the six ships in the aid convoy met with “live fire and light weaponry including knives and clubs.” The naval forces then “employed riot dispersal means, including live fire,” the military said in a statement.

“That is a lie,” said Greta Berlin, a leader of the pro-Palestinian Free Gaza Movement, speaking by telephone from Cyprus. She said it was inconceivable that the civilian passengers on board would have been “waiting up to fire on the Israeli military, with all its might.”

“We never thought there would be any violence,” she said.

At least four Israeli soldiers were injured in the operation, some from gunfire, according to the military.

A military statement said two activists were later found with pistols they had taken from Israeli commandos. The activists, the military said, had apparently opened fire “as evident by the empty pistol magazines.”

The warships first intercepted the convoy of cargo and passenger boats shortly before midnight on Sunday, according to activists on one vessel. Israel had vowed not to let the flotilla reach the shores of Gaza, where the Islamic militant group Hamas holds sway.

Named the Freedom Flotilla, and led by the Free Gaza Movement and a Turkish organization, Insani Yardim Vakfi, the convoy was the most ambitious attempt yet to break Israel’s three-year blockade of Gaza.

About 600 passengers were said to be aboard the vessels, including the 1976 Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Mairead Corrigan-Maguire of Northern Ireland, and a Holocaust survivor, Hedy Epstein, 85.

“What we have seen this morning is a war crime,” said Saeb Erakat, the chief Palestinian negotiator. “These were civilian ships carrying civilians and civilian goods — medicine, wheelchairs, food, construction materials.”

“What Israel does in Gaza is appalling,” he added. “No informed and decent human can say otherwise.”

At a press conference on Monday in Jerusalem, Israeli deputy foreign minister, Danny Ayalon said the flotilla’s intent was “not to transfer humanitarian things to Gaza” but to break the Israeli blockade.

“This blockade is legal,” he said, “and aimed at preventing the infiltration of terror and terrorists into Gaza.”

Ms. Berlin, of the Free Gaza Movement, said, “They attacked us this morning in international waters. According to the coordinates, we were 70 miles off the Israeli coast.”

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had been scheduled to meet President Obama in Washington on Tuesday for talks on the Middle East peace process. Some media reports from Jerusalem said that Mr. Netanyahu might delay his visit.

Within hours, diplomatic repercussions began to spread from the Mediterranean to Europe where Catherine Ashton, the European Union’s high representative for foreign affairs, called for a full inquiry into the incident and the immediate lifting of the Israeli blockade of Gaza.

A joint statement from Robert Serry and Filippo Grandi, two senior United Nations officials involved in the Middle East peace process and humanitarian aid to Gaza, condemned the raid, which they said was “apparently in international waters.”

“We wish to make clear that such tragedies are entirely avoidable if Israel heeds the repeated calls of the international community to end its counterproductive and unacceptable blockade of Gaza,” the officials said.

President Nicolas Sarkozy of France called Israel’s use of force “disproportionate,” while William Hague, the British foreign secretary, said he deplored the loss of life.

Turkey strongly condemned the Israeli military action.

“Regardless of any reasoning, such actions against civilians engaged in only peaceful activities are unacceptable,” said a statement on the Foreign Ministry’s Web site on Monday. “Israel will be required to face the consequences of this act that involves violation of the international law.”

“Israel launched this operation in international waters and to a ship flagged white, which is unacceptable under any clause of the international law,” the head of the Turkish Grand National Assembly’s Foreign Affairs Commission, Murat Mercan, said on the Turkish station NTV.

“We are going to see in the following days whether Israel has done it as a display of decisiveness or to commit political suicide.”

Thousands of protesters gathered in Istanbul’s busy Taksim Square, chanting anti-Israeli slogans and repeating Islamic verses while government officials called for calm and urged demonstrators to avoid retaliation against Israeli nationals.

Protesters met in front of the Israeli Consulate earlier and marched toward the square carrying a banner that read, “Zionist Embassy Should Close down,” and chanting slogans including “Damn Israel,” and “Long Live Global Intifada.”

Crowds also gathered outside the Ankara residence of Gabi Levi, the Israeli ambassador, who was summoned to the Foreign Ministry.

Ban Ki-moon, the United Nations secretary general, said Israel should provide a full explanation of what happened. News reports said the authorities in Egypt and Jordan, two Arab neighbors which have peace treaties with Israel, had summoned Israeli envoys to protest the action.

The outcry from Muslim leaders was strong and immediate. Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, called the incident “a massacre,” according to the official Wafa news agency. Mr. Abbas is to meet with President Obama in Washington next week.

Saad Hariri, the Lebanese prime minister, denounced the raid as “a dangerous and crazy step that will exacerbate tensions in the region,” while the president of Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said it was “inhuman.”

Channel 10, a private television station in Israel, quoted the Israeli trade minister, Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, as saying between 14 and 16 people had been killed. He said on Israeli Army Radio that commandos boarded the ships by sliding down on ropes from a hovering helicopter and were then struck by passengers with “batons and tools.”

“The moment someone tries to snatch your weapon, to steal your weapons, that’s where you begin to lose control,” Mr. Ben-Eliezer said, quoted by Reuters.

Jamal El Shayyal, a reporter from the television broadcaster Al Jazeera, was on board the Mavi Marmara, the largest of the six ships, during the assault. He said in a video report that dozens of civilians had been injured in the fighting.

The I.D.F. said the ships from the convoy would be taken to the Israeli port of Ashdod, north of Gaza, where “naval forces will perform security checks in order to identify the people on board the ships and their equipment.”

On Sunday, three Israeli Navy missile boats had left the Haifa naval base in northern Israel a few minutes after 9 p.m. local time, planning to intercept the flotilla. After asking the captains of the boats to identify themselves, the navy told them they were approaching a blockaded area and asked them either to proceed to Ashdod or return to their countries of origin.

The activists responded that they would continue toward their destination, Gaza.

Speaking by satellite phone from the Challenger 1 boat, which has foreign legislators and other high-profile figures on board, a Free Gaza Movement leader, Huwaida Arraf, said: “We communicated to them clearly that we are unarmed civilians. We asked them not to use violence.”

Earlier Sunday, Ms. Arraf said the boats would keep trying to move forward “until they either disable our boats or jump on board.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/world/middleeast/01flotilla.html?pagewanted=all
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by joeycrack: 1:30pm On May 31, 2010
Ikomi:

1. There is no background issue that justifies killing of innocent citizens on international waters.

2. Isreal imposed an illegal blockade on Gaza, and truly has no right to tell any harmless individual how to get to Gaza. That is the point this convoy is trying to make and somehow they have succeded.

If you agree with those two points, then truly as you said we have no argument here.

Exactly.

As someone who knows a British National on the convoy and managed to get a few books sent along, I totally condemn this attack on the humanitarian aid convoy. This is a serious infringement on international law and Israel with all its military prowess should know how to handle a rowdy crowd without firing. There should be an immediate international enquiry and Israel should be brought to book by implementing the Goldstone report.

For those talking about Israel giving Gaza back, yes Israel did give most of Gaza back but built walls around it. In a prison most of the land is for the prisoners but we know who still control it. If Israel was serious about a two state solution it would have stopped its settlement expansion and wouldn't be denying that there is a humanitarian crisis as Talya Lador-Fresher consistently does.

Solidarity with our Palestinian brothers.

And I love how Isreal is spinning this as an "armada of hate and violence in support of Hamas" when in reality they were hundreds of innocent volunteers wanting to help ease the pain of palestinians.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by joeycrack: 1:31pm On May 31, 2010
Also if you are in the UK

1. EMAIL THE FOREIGN OFFICE NOW

Send the template letter below to private.office@fco.gov.uk
AINAGCorrespondence@fco.gov.uk
haguew@parliament.uk

2. EMAIL NICK CLEGG

Send the template letter, addressed to Nick Clegg, to
cleggn@parliament.uk
libdemleader@parliament.uk
cleggn@hotmail.co.uk
leader@libdems.org.uk

Dear Mr Hague

An international flotilla of ships is, at this moment, attempting to deliver essential humanitarian aid to Gaza. The aid includes construction materials which would enable the people of Gaza to rebuild the homes destroyed by Israel in Operation Cast Lead last year.

There are nearly 700 people on board the boats, all of whom are ordinary civilians from around the world, including 40 British citizens. They have undertaken this mission out of concern for the people of Gaza, who are now entering their fourth year under siege, without access to basic necessities. They pose no threat to Israel, and are completely unarmed.

Despite this, the Israeli navy is attempting to block the flotilla from reaching Gaza. Israeli warships surrounded the boats on Sunday (30th May) night, while drones and a helicopter have been flying overhead. This hostile action has taken place in international waters.

I urge you to act swiftly to protect the flotilla, which is breaking no international laws, and, in particular, the British citizens on board, and to ensure that Israel allows this vital aid to reach its destination.

Israel’s occupation of Gaza is illegal under international law, and it has been accused in a UN report of committing war crimes in Gaza.

Your obligation must be towards a group of citizens peacefully attempting to deliver humanitarian aid, than to a country which repeatedly violates international treaties and resolutions. Those on board the boats face a serious threat - I call on you to end the UK government’s silence over Israel’s aggressive actions against the flotilla, and intervene now to demand its safe passage to Gaza.

Yours Sincerely,

(Your Name and/or Organisation)
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by montelik(m): 1:38pm On May 31, 2010
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 1:48pm On May 31, 2010
Ikomi:

This is where we see things different am afraid.

Let me make a few things clear. No where in my post is any form of justification. I cannot be clear enough on that.

Secondly, if you say there is no background issue, but then make a point in the same breathe about the background issues leading to the over all problem, then it shows you are missing the point, and only want to push across your view without being objective or non-biased.

Go back to my post, I have stated the view in which a Palestine see the issue and how an Israeli probably sees the issue too. Yet, you seem hell bent on just seeing one side. undecided

Here is a quote of what I said previously

Palasteine point of view - We are suffering, we are caged in etc.

Israeli point of view - We gave back what we could and now they allow their people to fire on us. etc

I also stated that both sides have a valid point, but they are not doing enough to change my view that one need out-weighs the other. Hence why I stated that background issues must be sorted.

Until the issue of Gaza, land control/ownership is sorted and other complications, it will forever be a springboard for incident like this.

That is not taking sides or welcoming the death or "unarmed" civilians, but being objective, non-bias. That is my point, that you so far have refused to recognise. smiley
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by 4Play(m): 2:20pm On May 31, 2010
joeycrack:

For those talking about Israel giving Gaza back, yes Israel did give most of Gaza back but built walls around it. In a prison most of the land is for the prisoners but we know who still control it. If Israel was serious about a two state solution it would have stopped its settlement expansion and wouldn't be denying that there is a humanitarian crisis as Talya Lador-Fresher consistently does.

There are walls demarcating Israel from Gaza, which Israel is fully entitled to build. Claiming that Israel built a wall ''around'' Gaza is a pathetic lie.

Humanitarian crises my foot, if that is a humanitarian crises, what would you call most of Africa?
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by Ikomi(m): 2:26pm On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

That is not taking sides or welcoming the death or "unarmed" civilians, but being objective, non-bias. That is my point, that you so far have refused to recognise. smiley

I wonder why you always put a smile at the end of your post possibly your view sounds good to you and you alone.

Let me in one sentence tell you what you are saying:

I do not support the killing of innocent civilians on international waters, however there are background issues which brought this incident about.

I am making it clear to you, background issues or not, the killing is unjustified, and am afraid your just bent on standing on a fence and putting your ear to the ground, which is somewhat an impossible task.

You cannot claim to be un-biased while not totally condemning an act of piracy and murder, as the investigation will soon declare.

I am not ready for another fruitless effort of round tripping. Good day.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by joeycrack: 2:37pm On May 31, 2010
ElRazur:

This is where we see things different am afraid.

Let me make a few things clear. No where in my post is any form of justification. I cannot be clear enough on that.

Secondly, if you say there is no background issue, but then make a point in the same breathe about of of the background issues leading to the over all problem, then it shows you are missing the point, and only want to push across your view without being objective or non-biased.

Go back to my post, I have stated the view in which a Palestine see the issue and how an Israeli probably seen the issue too. Yet, you seem hell bent on just seeing one side. undecided

Here is a quote of what I said previously
I also stated that both sides have a valid point, but they are not doing enough to change my view that one need out-weighs the other. Hence why I stated that background issues must be sorted.

Until the issue of Gaza, land control/ownership is sorted and other complications, it will forever be a springboard for incident like this.

@ElRazur

I appreciate that you are trying to reason from both sides which I think most people don't do enough of but Isreal in itself is not serious about having a two state solution; if it was, it would have stopped its settlement expansion a  long time ago and wouldn't be denying that there is a humanitarian crisis in Gaza. Speaking to their deputy ambassodor in UK (Talya Lador-Fresher) she consistently denied there being a humanitarian crisis in Gaza even though there's well documented evidence showing citizens who can't access hospitals, children having to go through 4-5 checkpoints everyday just to go to school turing a 20 minute journey into 3 hours, not having enough food supplies.

Israel gave most of Gaza back but built walls around it. If I gave back part of the land I took from you but built a high fence around it and employ military men to surround it, it's nothing more than a prison even though you do have 90% of the land back.

Yes, Palestinian leaders have made mistakes but Isreals responses have always been disproportionate, how else do you explain launching a full sclae attack killing 1000 palestinians becuase two isreali soldiers were killed. The supposed 'terrorism' of Hamas isn't justification for killing innocent lives which is the problem I have with the Hamas vs Isreali arguement. Palestinians bear the grunt far disproportionately.  This boat contained innocent volunteers including two nobel peace price winners and a friend, saying 'Hamas are terrosrists' in no way justifies the isreali actions.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by joeycrack: 2:44pm On May 31, 2010
4 Play:

There are walls demarcating Israel from Gaza, which Israel is fully entitled to build. Claiming that Israel built a wall ''around'' Gaza is a pathetic lie.

Humanitarian crises my foot, if that is a humanitarian crises, what would you call most of Africa?

I will not join words with you as I take it you are not familiar with the situations in Gaza if you can utter statements like 'Humanitarian Crises my foot'. I would encourage you to do the necessary research.

The problem with most of Africa is bad leadership and corruption, not down to an agressive neighbour. But that aside, does the fact that Africans are poor mean help shouldn't be given to people who have been blockade for 3 years. I have friends stuck in Gaza that took them 6 months to get out. So if you want to have an educated debate I'm happy to but do the research 1st.
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 3:10pm On May 31, 2010
Ikomi:

I wonder why you always put a smile at the end of your post possibly your view sounds good to you and you alone.

Let me in one sentence tell you what you are saying:

And what is there no to understand? That I do not support any killing of the innocent. That if proper channels have been followed perhaps we won't be here discussing this? Which one eludes you?

I am making it clear to you, background issues or not, the killing is unjustified, and am afraid your just bent on standing on a fence and putting your ear to the ground, which is somewhat an impossible task.

Perhaps you should point out where I have categorically stated that the killings are justified, or where I have made a post suggesting so. undecided

You cannot claim to be un-biased while not totally condemning an act of piracy and murder, as the investigation will soon declare.

Really? I remember saying the following and even put it in bold for you, amongst other things.

"If investigation shows that they fired on unarmed civilians that were going about their business and never initiated any attack, let the fullest extent of international law, condemnation and punishment be thrown at Israel."

Yet you want me to do it your way, while things are still on-going?

Also on the issue of piracy, it is funny how you took my point out of context and keep ignoring the things attached to it. Piracy will most likely not qualify here, Iran, US, UK et al etc have all boarded vessels when needed. Also,It may be murder to you and me, but in the court of law self defence and rules of engagement will probably be the theme. But then, never mind you just refuse to see these things smiley

I am not ready for another fruitless effort of round tripping. Good day.

You mean refusal to take side and do what you want? Nice.

Nice talking to you, at least you avoided name calling abit this time. Catch you around. smiley
Re: Israel Fires On Unarmed Aid Convoy. Many Dead! by ElRazur: 3:19pm On May 31, 2010
@Joey Crack.

Thanks for the input.

I have always maintained that both sides need to find a comprehensive solution and be willing to make compromise. As it stand, they are far from it. Dunno how much more will both carry on for. smiley

Pointing fingers and blaming each other have yielded little or nothing over time, perhaps it is time for a different approach?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photo: Donald Trump Sits At His Desk In The Oval Office For The First Time. / Why Is Trump Looking Like A Ghost � / What Is White Supremacy ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.