Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,490 members, 7,836,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans (1832 Views)

My Trip To New Orleans, LA | Foodie Tour, WWII Museum & Whitney Plantation / Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad / Top Mistakes To Avoid During A Visa Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Uranus1: 1:35am On Jun 06, 2018
Travelling to a foreign place , whether in the next town or the next continent , it is always safe to know more about where you are visiting .
Nicknamed the “Big Easy”, New Orleans is known for its vibrant live -music scene, spicy cuisine and round - the -clock nightlife . But, amidst all that , the city crawls with secrets. We have some expert advice to keep you safe on what to eat , drink and do when touring the city .

Here are a few things to not do to keep your trip and stay as smooth as possible.

Don’ t keep your wallet in your back pocket
Whatever you put in your back pocket , whether your wallet or even your phone , is liable to fall out or get snatched during festivities . If it’s important to you, put it in your front pocket or in your jacket .

Don’ t show up late to parades
This town is always lit with parades , from the biggest, largest attended Mardi gras parade , Endymion , to smaller ones. People camp out for days in advance and you do not want to get in their way .

Don’ t walk alone after midnight
It’s okay to stay out late drinking . However , walking alone in a dimly -lit street is an open invitation to the evils that come with dark streets at night. Walk with at least one other person or save tour exploring for brighter hours of the morning .

Don’ t use an actual taxi
It’s similar to the way it is here in Nigeria . Uber and Lyft are almost always cheaper , quicker , more reliable and easily accessible .

https://www.nigerialog.com/travel/five-mistakes-to-avoid-when-visiting-new-orleans/new/#new
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 1:48am On Jun 06, 2018
New Orleans is in the east coast don't wear chucks or wear a t-shirt that says f*** the East coast

Don't wear all red and stroll into your neighborhood that's called wearing dead ! The crios.are very strong in the entire east coast

Be smart
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 12:51am On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:
New Orleans is in the east coast don't wear chucks or wear a t-shirt that says f*** the East coast

Don't wear all red and stroll into your neighborhood that's called wearing dead ! The crios.are very strong in the entire east coast

Be smart

Did you see that on a movie or something?
Cause most of New Orleans' low income residents haven't even returned nor will ever return since the devastating and costly Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
They were displaced cause their homes were completely destroyed.
The gang violence isn't nearly as continuous as it was about a decade and a half ago.
That east coast/west coast gang problem was more so between California and New York....not The Big Easy....
Just my 2 cents..

1 Like

Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 3:20am On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

Cause most of New Orleans' low income residents haven't even returned nor will ever return since the devastating and costly Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
The gang violence isn't nearly as continuous as it was about a decade and a half ago.
That east coast/west coast gang problem was more so between California and New York....not The Big Easy....
Just my 2 cents..

I know I just lumped the entire eastern coast.together ... The big easy is a laid back town but still
You wouldn't understand
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 3:25am On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

Just my 2 cents..

Hmm.. Sounds like Menace II Society.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by rinzaugustine: 6:14am On Jun 07, 2018
I passed through Lafayette,baton rouge and new Orleans yesterday on my road trip to Texas and they are all very beautiful cities

1 Like

Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by travelland(f): 8:09am On Jun 07, 2018
You can't walk around after midnight unless you are prepared to be a victim of criminal activities
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 1:29pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

I know I just lumped the entire eastern coast.together ... The big easy is a laid back town but still
You wouldn't understand

You know something? I didn't even look at your profile pic when I first mentioned you....but I just saw it now.
Interesting.....very interesting...cause I thought you were a Nigerian just commenting on stuff based on what the media portrays.
Your last statement got me very curious.
I've been to the Big Easy several times....know some folks from there and have some relatives who visit there at least once a year...
But they only go down to The French Quarters...getting that good food.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Hmm.. Sounds like Menace II Society.

Lol....you wouldn't believe this but I have never seen that movie....although it was very popular back in the 90's.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 07, 2018
travelland:
You can't walk around after midnight unless you are prepared to be a victim of criminal activities

So what was your experience like? What happened...if you don't mind sharing please?
Also what section of the city were you in?
The most dangerous area (formerly known as the 9th ward) was obliterated by Hurricane Katrina....
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

You know something? I didn't even look at your profile pic when I first mentioned you....but I just saw it now.
Interesting.....very interesting...cause I thought you were a Nigerian just commenting on stuff based on what the media portrays.
I've been to the Big Easy several times....know some folks from there and have some relatives who visit there at least once a year...

If You are not blue, Then You are not true'
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

You wouldn't understand

Hmm..very intriguing

Can I ask if you are Nigerian?
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

Lol....you wouldn't believe this but I have never seen that movie....although it was very popular back in the 90's.

Ive only seen it in bits and pieces when its on tv.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

Ive not been, its always been on my list to go. Ive really been wanting to try beignets and oysters benedict. Especially around Essence Fest time but then I get deterred bc I get to thinking about the heat. Now that I think about it, all my vacations revolve around food and music.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Hmm..very intriguing

Can I ask if you are Nigerian?

Yeah cuz

Are you?
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

Yeah cuz

Are you?

No.
I was trying to figure out something.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:

No.
I was trying to figure out something.

Chitty-chitty bang bang, Nothing' but a C thang.

grin
Cuz
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

If You are not blue, Then You are not true'

Lol....sorry for laughing....
Speaking in slogans I see.....
So are you a Nigerian living in the Big Easy OR a Black American gang member living over there.
Your story brother.....ummm......can you tell me more?
It's very odd to see a Nigerian speaking about those notorious gangs....
Please don't shoot me up for asking.... smiley
Just being curious...
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Ive not been, its always been on my list to go. Ive really been wanting to try beignets and oysters benedict. Especially around Essence Fest time but then I get deterred bc I get to thinking about the heat. Now that I think about it, all my vacations revolve around food and music.

Well it's an addictive city I must say. I'm not crazy about it (I like a more laid-back environment)....but many in the U.S. love the city.
The food, however, is all that.....the best in the southern region of the U.S....dare I might say the whole U.S.!!
One of my siblings goes to the Essence Fest every year and she says it's worth every penny! She said it's absolutely amazing to see so many professional, wealthy, influential and powerful black Americans descend on Orleans.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

So are you a Nigerian living in the Big Easy OR a Black American gang member living over there.
Just being curious...

Yes, I am curious also. But decided to back off. Im glad you are doing my dirty work. He said he's Nigerian. Im really intrigued by it.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Yes, I am curious also. But decided to back off. Im glad you are doing my dirty work. He said he's Nigerian. Im really intrigued by it.

Oh...I must've skipped over that.
I hope he doesn't "feed me to the fishes" for asking......
If he says to "cease and desist", then I will promptly do so...no questions asked.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

Well it's an addictive city I must say. I'm not crazy about it (I like a more laid-back environment)....but many in the U.S. are...
The food is all that.....the best in the southern portion portions of the U.S....dare I might say the whole U.S.!!
One of my siblings goes to the Essence Fest every year and she says it's worth every penny! She said it's absolutely amazing to see so many professional, wealthy, influential and powerful black Americans descend on Orleans.

Im from IN, where are you from?
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 07, 2018
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

I knew you weren't southern....lol.
Was born in MI....but raised and living in the deep South...
Just think of one of the "red" states with a terrible and racially violent history...
Don't want to say it on here...although a number of people know already.

Im curious, why do you say so?
Deep south, I lived in AL at one point, and have no wish to move back. Although the people are warmer than where im at now.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mobilia:

Just being curious...

Childhood , role.models , survival and a necessity
There's no poetic ending or emotional dramatic story here
For some they find knowledge, hope and direction in a church, mosque or in college

For some it's on the corner , to some the set is the only family ever know ... I have no tear jerking stories to tell you
There's not always a happy ending that only happens in movies and too much of that isn't healthy

It's a pleasure meeting you

If you wanna hear my.story pay me $1 million then I will share what I can with you
It's not pretty , all these rap videos , it's all make believe, nothing tells it like it is , because something's seens just can't be said
You would be surprised the number of Nigerians repping their set both male and female
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Fortissimo502: 7:42pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

Be smart

NOLA is no where near the East Coast.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:45pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

For some they find knowledge, hope and direction in a church, mosque or in college

For some it's on the corner , to some the set is the only family ever know ... I have no tear jerking stories to tell you
There's not always a happy ending that only happens in movies and too much of that isn't healthy

If you wanna hear my.story pay me $1 million then I will share what I can with you
It's not pretty , all these rap videos , it's all make believe, nothing tells it like it is , because something's seens just can't be said
You would be surprised the number of Nigerians repping their set both male and female

Million in naira or dollars?
I have neither, but wanted to clarify
But this a learning forum, well at times...
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
[quote author=Uchihaitaci post=682737

Brother,
It's a pleasure meeting you too....
Yeah..this world is something else...
Too much Hollywood and Nollywood shaping folks' perceptions and blinding them to reality.
You made some interesting points....
You found your solace in "gang-life"....wow.
Everyone has a story to tell....
But umm excuse me brother.... 1 million!!!
Is that in naira or dollars..lol?
My pockets have holes in them right now anyway....
See you around N.L smiley
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

How did you get involved in gang life being a Nigerian?
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 07, 2018
Fortissimo502:

NOLA is no where near the East Coast.

Georgraphically it's south, it's considered south high school too, this isn't high school .
Same reasons in the NBA NO team is placed oddly in the west coast but Memphis is even deeper though. But would it be wise to have imbalanced conferences? Now there's 30 in each.. Logistically Minnesota for instance is close to most of the eastern conference teams hence the arrangement

B's in NO are called East coast B's but feel free to take a trip down there and lecture then on proper geography
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Fortissimo502: 8:04pm On Jun 07, 2018
Uchihaitaci:

Georgraphically it's south, it's considered south high school too, this isn't high school .
Same reasons in the NBA NO team is placed oddly in the west coast but Memphis is even deeper though. But would it be wise to have imbalanced conferences? Now there's 30 in each.. Logistically Minnesota for instance is close to most of the eastern conference teams hence the arrangement

B's in NO are called East coast B's but feel free to take a trip down there and lecture then on proper geography

I am down there.
Re: Five Mistakes To Avoid When Visiting New Orleans by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 07, 2018
hiawathia1981:

Im curious, why do you say so?
Deep south, I lived in AL at one point, and have no wish to move back. Although the people are warmer than where im at now.

Cause I've been through some stuff with folks on here. I'm trying to be more cautious this time around...
How long have you been out of AL?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Australia Or Dubai, Please I Need Advice / Is It Possible For Me To Study Abroad Without A Sponsor? / How Fast Is CBN Trade System Form A?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.