Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,494 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British (32119 Views)

Restrictions Of Movement Around the Oba of Benin Palace? / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos / Rolls-Royce Of The Oba Of Benin, Oba Ewuare II (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by vickzdvipe(m): 8:14pm On Jun 07, 2018
irepnaija4eva:
My own is where were the so called deities when their land were invaded by the white man? angry angry angry.

A whole oba the chief custodian of the land was banished by a foreigner neither the god of thunder or fire not even the village people (witches and wizard) could save him and themselves.
They even went to the shrines and stole most of the sacred artifacts yet nothing happened. No records of any white men going mad or been struck by lightening.....But if na osas or Kufre manage somehow borrow(thief) yams or goat due to hunger,them gods go dey flex muscles abi them dey fear white man face ni?

Infact thunder fire them der angry angry angry....

Nonsence.
Simply put, all gods or deities are facades. At best, they are myths.

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Irokoroots: 8:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
InvertedHammer:
This is a history lesson to the mumu fellas that think that Europeans came to Africa to preach the gospel and salvation. They came for the natural resources. Like any other group, they came with their religion. After conquering Africa, they shoved their religion down the throat of Africans. Emeka became Peter. Okafor became Solomon. Oghene became Mary. Left with nothing and no brain power to conquer technology, Africans embraced the new religion and remain comfortable in servitude. I am refined if I bow down to the altar,image of Virgin Mary or crucifix but if I visit the shrine/altar of Amadioha, I become ostracized.

Ebola, guinea pox or AIDS are not the biggest diseases inflicting Africans; it is self-loathing.

*/

Chairman, you can thank the wicked gods our forefathers served for inflicting us with self-hate. It’s the old gods our forefathers served that made us believe that it was ok for us as a race to sell our brothers to oyibo men or sacrifice human beings (just because we there are not related to us) just to gain small fortune or healing. In all the years our forefathers served these evil gods none had gave us the idea to form our own written language or stop us from naturally hating each other.

I will not blame Christianity. There are Asian Christians in china and India and their race seems to be doing way better than the black race. Ethiopians are mainly Christians but they were still able to develop their own written language. This made them the only African country not to be colonized. I can go on and on about this but maybe another day. However imperfect Christianity may be it is a lot better than the old selfish wicked gods our forefathers served.

2 Likes

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by AreaFada2: 8:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
irepnaija4eva:
My own is where were the so called deities when their land were invaded by the white man? angry angry angry.

A whole oba the chief custodian of the land was banished by a foreigner neither the god of thunder or fire not even the village people (witches and wizard) could save him and themselves.
They even went to the shrines and stole most of the sacred artifacts yet nothing happened. No records of any white men going mad or been struck by lightening.....But if na osas or Kufre manage somehow borrow(thief) yams or goat due to hunger,them gods go dey flex muscles abi them dey fear white man face ni?

Nonsence.

OK. When pagan Roman empire used modern military tech to destroy Jerusalem and destroy David's/Solomon's temple in 70AD, do you blame Judeo-Christian God for not stopping common pagan.

When Muslim Moors overran Iberia and took much of France and Ottoman Turks took
Constantinople from Christians turning it into Istanbul, do you ask about Christian God? When Napoleon conquered Egypt did you ask where Muslims' God was? Did that stop people trooping to Synagogues, churches and mosques till today?

If you want excuses to rubbish African heritage, demonstrate inferiority complex and self-loathing, just do so clearly without citing a silly example. After all those events mentioned above happened well before 1897. If at all you know any history that is.

5 Likes

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by babasolution: 8:26pm On Jun 07, 2018
irepnaija4eva:

Nonsence.

all these so called juju are nollywood bulshit,african religion wasnt like that,most of the magical tales are principles not actual events,african was more of healing magic not destructive,,it doesnt work that way,besides the europeans were even members of more evil higher spiritual orders
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by babasolution: 8:28pm On Jun 07, 2018
grandstar:
I love history

It was just a matter of time before Benin fell into the hands of the British. They should have been reasonable.

What angers me most is the priceless artefacts that took.

Truth be told, they'd probably be heavily under-appreciated if they remained here.

The Benin Bronze head is most likely famous because it was stolen and not for its beauty and finesse

the benin bronze is a great symbol of unmatched impeccable art,that is why it is famous nt because it was stolen
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by mr1759: 8:37pm On Jun 07, 2018
LolaCole1:
Your stupidity isn’t from here cry

your father is the one that is stupid,

show me what your king or kings men LovePeddler during precolonial era then I will show you your cultural attire. ewu
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by PierreAbutu(m): 8:42pm On Jun 07, 2018
Paperwhite:
But histroy have it that the Benin empire was one of the strongest then Meanwhile Afonja ignorantly offered his own Ilorin to Alimi & his descendant.Oluwo of Iwo is also towing the same line now.

...one of the strongest empire that was bullied and defeated by IGALAS in a tribal war....smh

POWER PASS POWER
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by AreaFada2: 8:45pm On Jun 07, 2018
babasolution:

all these so called juju are nollywood bulshit,african religion wasnt like that,most of the magical tales are principles not actual events,african was more of[b] healing magic not destructive[/b],,it doesnt work that way,besides the europeans were even members of more evil higher spiritual orders

God bless you.

People are so ignorant. In my place people suspected or caught trying to use spiritual powers to cause evil were seriously rebuked, exiled or fined and be used to swear ancestral/land deity, akin to "alale". Babalawos and such priests were essentially learned traditional practitioners who primarily helped to solve people's problems: ill health, misfortune, infertility, self & family protection against evil, etc.

Nollywood gave people the impression that every stepmother or uncle is killing everyone out of envy or to claim land. Patience Ozokwor, Chiwetalu Agu & Kanayo O. Kanayo typical characters are what people now think African traditional worship is all about.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by anigold(m): 8:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ubijus1:
This is the touching life story of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi who ruled the Benin empire before he was dethroned and exiled by the British.

Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi (ruled 1888 – 1897), also called Overami, was the Oba (king) of the Kingdom of Benin up until the British punitive expedition of 1897.

Born in circa 1857, he was the son of Oba Adolo he took the name Ovonramwen Nogbaisi at his enthronement in 1888, every Oba took a new name at his coronation, the name translates as Ovonramwen meaning “The Rising Sun” and Nogbaisi meaning “which spreads over all.”

At the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. The territory was coveted by an influential group of investors for its rich natural resources such as palm-oil, rubber and ivory. The kingdom was largely independent of British control, and pressure continued from figures such as Vice-Consul James Robert Phillips and Captain Gallwey (the British vice-Consul of Oil Rivers Protectorate) who were pushing for British annexation of the Benin Empire and the removal of the Oba.

A British invasion force headed by Phillips set out to overthrow the Oba in 1896. The force’s weapons were hidden in baggage, with troops disguised as bearers. Phillips plan was to gain access to Ovonramwen’s palace by announcing that he intended to negotiate. Ovonramwen’s messengers issued several warnings not to violate Benin territorial sovereignty, claiming he was unable to see Phillips due to ceremonial duties. Having been warned on several further occasions on the way, Phillips sent his stick to the Oba, a deliberate insult designed to provoke the conflict that would provide an excuse for British annexation.

Phillip’s expedition was ambushed and all but two were killed. Subsequently a military operation against Benin in 1897 led by Harry Rawson resulted in the burning of Benin City, the destruction and looting of the royal palaces, and the deaths of untold numbers of its inhabitants. Although the British had orders to hang the Oba, Ovonramwen escaped, but returned to the city to formally surrender on 5 August 1897. When Ovonramwen returned to the city, after six months spent in evading capture in the forest, he was richly dressed and laden with coral beads and accompanied by an entourage of seven hundred to eight hundred people.

He attempted to escape exile by offering Consul General Ralph Moor 200 puncheons (barrels) of oil worth £1500 [£183000.00 today] and to disclose where his 500 ivory tusks were buried [today’s value: Up to £275,625,500.00] however this offer was dismissed as Mr. Moor had already discovered them.

Ovonramwen was exiled to Calabar with his two of his wives, Queen Egbe and Queen Aighobahi, and died there around the turn of the new year in 1914. Ovonramwen was eventually buried in the grounds of the royal palace in Benin City. He was succeeded by his first son and legitimate heir, Prince Aguobasimwin, who ruled as Eweka II.

https://wakanda.ng/ovonramwen-nogbaisi-oba-benin-conquered-exiled-calabar-british/
is he holding a Nokia 3310 angry angry shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by shine12: 8:50pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ubijus1:
history!
Europe really exploited Africa!

And also underdeveloped it
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jun 07, 2018
irepnaija4eva:

Nonsence.
lwkmd, guy u bad o
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by LolaCole1(f): 9:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by chosenwan1(m): 9:09pm On Jun 07, 2018
Exactly, what beats me is the same Benin people joined the amalgamation that created Nigeria. After everything the British did, just goes to show Africans do not teach their history which is why they remain slaves up till date. The Benin empire was no small kingdom. Follow more African content [url] https://www.nairaland.com/4513200/united-africa-religion[/url]
cooljude:
European Empires were very wicked and brute, they sort for total domination of other peoples territory and they decimated the locals either by war or affliction. This and many other stories should be thought if we ever wish to rediscover ourselves as Africans who can actually organize themselves.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by bellville: 9:12pm On Jun 07, 2018
Zionista:
Man of valour. I read this textbook as a Literature student.
Ah! You are an elder o. It was part of the 1993 waec syllabus. I remember my elder sister had a copy

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:18pm On Jun 07, 2018
XaintJoel20:
This write up is lopsided and has no bearing with the truth...

Please do a better research next time in order to give facts.

Note: I am a full blooded Edo man.
sure. I remember reading the drama book "Overanwen Nogbaisi" by Ola Rotimi. So insightful but a work of fiction conceived by true events. And so respect a character in the book "Obayuwana". Hope that great man has descendents. They should write a book about him.

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by codemaniacs: 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
xx

2 Likes

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:21pm On Jun 07, 2018
Zionista:
Man of valour. I read this textbook as a Literature student.
funny thing I was a science student. Read the drama book "Ovarenwen Nogbaisi" as fun, engrossed with it and started teaching literature students of it.
The proverbs are superb. Late Ola Rotimi is a legend.

2 Likes

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by godofuck231: 9:22pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ubijus1:
This is the touching life story of Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi who ruled the Benin empire before he was dethroned and exiled by the British.

Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi (ruled 1888 – 1897), also called Overami, was the Oba (king) of the Kingdom of Benin up until the British punitive expedition of 1897.

Born in circa 1857, he was the son of Oba Adolo he took the name Ovonramwen Nogbaisi at his enthronement in 1888, every Oba took a new name at his coronation, the name translates as Ovonramwen meaning “The Rising Sun” and Nogbaisi meaning “which spreads over all.”

At the end of the 19th century, the Kingdom of Benin had managed to retain its independence and the Oba exercised a monopoly over trade which the British found irksome. The territory was coveted by an influential group of investors for its rich natural resources such as palm-oil, rubber and ivory. The kingdom was largely independent of British control, and pressure continued from figures such as Vice-Consul James Robert Phillips and Captain Gallwey (the British vice-Consul of Oil Rivers Protectorate) who were pushing for British annexation of the Benin Empire and the removal of the Oba.

A British invasion force headed by Phillips set out to overthrow the Oba in 1896. The force’s weapons were hidden in baggage, with troops disguised as bearers. Phillips plan was to gain access to Ovonramwen’s palace by announcing that he intended to negotiate. Ovonramwen’s messengers issued several warnings not to violate Benin territorial sovereignty, claiming he was unable to see Phillips due to ceremonial duties. Having been warned on several further occasions on the way, Phillips sent his stick to the Oba, a deliberate insult designed to provoke the conflict that would provide an excuse for British annexation.

Phillip’s expedition was ambushed and all but two were killed. Subsequently a military operation against Benin in 1897 led by Harry Rawson resulted in the burning of Benin City, the destruction and looting of the royal palaces, and the deaths of untold numbers of its inhabitants. Although the British had orders to hang the Oba, Ovonramwen escaped, but returned to the city to formally surrender on 5 August 1897. When Ovonramwen returned to the city, after six months spent in evading capture in the forest, he was richly dressed and laden with coral beads and accompanied by an entourage of seven hundred to eight hundred people.

He attempted to escape exile by offering Consul General Ralph Moor 200 puncheons (barrels) of oil worth £1500 [£183000.00 today] and to disclose where his 500 ivory tusks were buried [today’s value: Up to £275,625,500.00] however this offer was dismissed as Mr. Moor had already discovered them.

Ovonramwen was exiled to Calabar with his two of his wives, Queen Egbe and Queen Aighobahi, and died there around the turn of the new year in 1914. Ovonramwen was eventually buried in the grounds of the royal palace in Benin City. He was succeeded by his first son and legitimate heir, Prince Aguobasimwin, who ruled as Eweka II.

https://wakanda.ng/ovonramwen-nogbaisi-oba-benin-conquered-exiled-calabar-british/

He was not just a king, please acknowledge, he was an emperor, conquered kingdoms up cote de voir, togo, Benin, and parts of ghana
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by lascopes(m): 9:22pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ellabae:
Aunty Abeg let person hear word.

Tell her, people wey no get culture sef go dey talk. Your own retarded king, me sure say him no get picture/camera never enter una town that time

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:23pm On Jun 07, 2018
nowpresence:
why does the oba look like a drunk

are u trying a stunt like one nwamaikpe or what?
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:25pm On Jun 07, 2018
grandstar:
I love history

It was just a matter of time before Benin fell into the hands of the British. They should have been reasonable.

What angers me most is the priceless artefacts that took.

Truth be told, they'd probably be heavily under-appreciated if they remained here.

The Benin Bronze head is most likely famous because it was stolen and not for its beauty and finesse
they were very reasonable. I can't judge yesterday's events with today's realities
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Smarkie: 9:26pm On Jun 07, 2018
the funny part is that those europeans all bears christian names
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:28pm On Jun 07, 2018
lahify:
this British guys colonized us mentally and physically. imagine the audacity to dethrone a sitting king because he doesn't conform with your business values. funny enough they even brought Christianity to us to enslave us more.
read the drama book ovarenwen nogbaisi by Ola Rotimi, I will shed tears
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by hamer: 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
Oya all g boys hands should be on desk to recover our money from these white monkeys dey are responsible for Africa downfall
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:32pm On Jun 07, 2018
PierreAbutu:

...one of the strongest empire that was bullied and defeated by IGALAS in a tribal war....smh

POWER PASS POWER
igala had empire? No sir/ma
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by grandstar(m): 9:33pm On Jun 07, 2018
babasolution:

the benin bronze is a great symbol of unmatched impeccable art,that is why it is famous nt because it was stolen

OK. Which other art work compares or is greater ?
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by PierreAbutu(m): 9:40pm On Jun 07, 2018
thatigboman:
igala had empire? No sir/ma

Oga, I never called IGALA an empire

IGALA is a tribe...that once defeated the Benin empire
Look for an elder from Benin Kingdom, sit down and converse with him and he'll confirm what I'm saying if he's honest
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:49pm On Jun 07, 2018
PierreAbutu:

Look for an elder from Benin Kingdom, sit down and converse with him and he'll confirm what I'm saying if he's honest
I asked "Igala had an empire?" Not "Is Igala an empire?"
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by Irokoroots: 9:50pm On Jun 07, 2018
codemaniacs:

a foreign religion or a foreign product is what promotes self-hate...

True.. unfortunately, Christianity is not one of them. I gave examples of other races that practice Christianity (aside Caucasians) and most are doing better than the black race.

Africans never sold anyone into slavery as Africa was and is still the richest continent... the europeans only created paper called money to manipulate people into thinking paper money is wealth..

False.... Some of the richest people/kings in Africa before the colonial era were barons in this trade. Pre-colonial Lagos/Eko was built on this trade before arrival of British troops. Google Oba kosko, Efunroye Tinubu just to name a few. Even the beloved Benin empire benefited heavily from this trade.

Africans had written and spoken language long before the europeans, arabs and any other caucasian race..

Not entirely true.... Amharic is the only indigenous African written language I know. unfortunately, we in W.Africa dont have any. I will be glad if you can mention any W.Africa written language if you know any.

blaming traditional religion for self-hate is ignorance..

Maybe not all.... but a good amount of them promote practices that lead to self hatred.

1 Like

Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by thatigboman: 9:53pm On Jun 07, 2018
PierreAbutu:

U answered my innocuous question wrongly. So answer the right question. Igala had an empire? If yes, buttress
Don't ask me to go go and inquire Igala defeat of Benin empire, which I strongly doubt.
While at it, tell us of the Nupe defeat of Igala
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by playerinc(m): 9:53pm On Jun 07, 2018
PierreAbutu:

Shut up. Ozwor.
Re: Ovonramwen Nogbaisi: The Oba Of Benin Conquered And Exiled To Calabar By British by PierreAbutu(m): 10:00pm On Jun 07, 2018
playerinc:

Shut up. Ozwor.

onyeberibe
onyeoshi
orioda

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture / Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Why Are Most People Guilty Of This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.