Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? (9747 Views)

Why Do Ladies Cry When Their Man Propose To Them? / Would You Propose To Your Girlfriend After A Mastectomy? / From Mummy To Mum To Mothers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 9:48pm On May 31, 2010
Men are fond are taking only the "chosen" one home to moma.

Should we girls start doing the same? I mean mum and dad must not know every John and Peter we date, right?
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Sissy3(f): 9:55pm On May 31, 2010
IMHO

i'd say the introduction first before the proposal
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Igwe9(m): 9:57pm On May 31, 2010
michelin89:

Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad?
It depends on what or who you'd tell your parents he is to you.
undecided
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 10:09pm On May 31, 2010
I was just thinking about it last night.

In fact I'd prefer a very reserved marriage with in-laws and best friends.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Sissy3(f): 10:12pm On May 31, 2010
In fact I'd prefer a very reserved marriage with in-laws and best friends. 

your parents or relatives nko?
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 10:22pm On May 31, 2010
~Sissy~:

your parents or relatives nko?

His in-laws as well.

Relatives are in-laws too na.

Perhaps I should explain.

My parents would want me to move out of the country after I have completed the fist cycle of my studies. Hence the issue of a relationship could be seen as a possible obstacle to my relocation.

Right now I am single by the way. Just in case I meet someone I really like, should I deal with the matter with my parents at the beginning or after he has proposed (this possibility isn't farfetched since I am officially an adult and attract matured guys)?

Fact is at this point I don't mind getting married while in school. Afterall life is short!
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 10:32pm On May 31, 2010
I'd say you let him propose first before bring home to your parents. Be sure that there's sth tangible before an introduction. Explaining to your parent that that guys was not it and this guys was not it might look somehow, if you guys late break up. I know that getting an engagement ring does not guarantee a wedding, but, atleast they met a husband-to-be.
And it should go both ways for the woman and the man in the rl/ship.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by chika98: 7:16am On Jun 01, 2010
He has to be someone you have something exclusive and special with.
If I were a parent, I'd want to know who my daughter is hanging out with. I may or may not want to meet every dick and harry she hangs with though.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Sissy3(f): 7:26am On Jun 01, 2010
michelin89:

His in-laws as well.

Relatives are in-laws too na.

Perhaps I should explain.

My parents would want me to move out of the country after I have completed the fist cycle of my studies. Hence the issue of a relationship could be seen as a possible obstacle to my relocation.

Right now I am single by the way. Just in case I meet someone I really like, should I deal with the matter with my parents at the beginning or after he has proposed (this possibility isn't farfetched since I am officially an adult and attract matured guys)?

Fact is at this point I don't mind getting married while in school. Afterall life is short!

again IMO, i think its safer if you introduce the person to your parents first before the proposal.  maybe they wouldnt approve of the idea (maybe thats your utmost concern) but at the end of the day, its still your choice to make(whatever be it of their opinion of your guy) but just let them know first. i'd find it awkward (if i were to be your parents) for you to come home and just happily tell me i'm engaged just like that without any prior meetings with the dude.

theres nothing wrong with marrying while in school. many women successfully complete(d) their edu. while in their husbands house but the thing with that in many cases, is that some women who marry while in the progress and gets preg.  (planned/not) and starts a family, becomes overwhelmed with motherhood/family that completion of their edu. becomes least of their priorities and for many thats where it ends. this is why some parents are so reluctant to allow their children marry while still in school. so do weigh your options
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by SSaemoenl(m): 12:01pm On Jun 01, 2010
Not necessary
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by GboyegaD(m): 12:07pm On Jun 01, 2010
IMO, I believe it is ideal for the parents to know the partner before the proposal. This is because they may disapprove the relationship for one reason or the other.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Echidime(m): 12:23pm On Jun 01, 2010
Was he introduce to the parents before he had sex with the girl?
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Spyker: 12:39pm On Jun 01, 2010
This is a two way question. She he propose? Yes and No
Yes: If you are sure Mummy and Daddy would accept him
No: If you are not sure of the guy and whether or not he is acceptable to your family.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jun 01, 2010
Whether he/she has met your parents or not should have nothing to do with the proposal/should not interfere with it.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by PupetMasta(m): 1:27pm On Jun 01, 2010
I think there should be an introduction (not the ceremony) before a proposal. If your parent know your bf/gf before he/she proposes they can easily make known their reservation concerning him/her. It will be easier to dump the spouse before proposal than after proposal if you agree with your parent's reservation about your man or woman.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2010
I won't bring home a man who has no bearing for the future i.e hinted he would marry me or preferably proposed tongue. Don't have time for commitment-phobic guys that prefer to hide under the facade of 'dating'. tongue It's not any kind of man I'll bring home to my parents in the name of boyfriend and girlfriend tongue. I must have analyzed, scrutinized before he comes near my family. But I'll introduce him as my boyfriend for the sake of my parents not throwing a fit cheesy. I trust my parents to ask him what he intends for their daughter tongue. It's left for him to tell them he wants to marry me. tongue

1 Like

Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2010
chaircover:

Depends on how close you are to your parents distance & relationship wise and how liberal they are.

Personally I will like my daughter to bring everyone home; cats, dogs, boyfriends LOL as I may see something that her loving dopey eyes may not be seeing grin

Seriously a young woman in love may miss a lot of things and as our elders say an old man sees more sitting down than a child standing up.

I can tell that Michelin is in love; I wish you all the best girl kiss

I am just asking ooooo embarassed embarassed
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by kenmaro: 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2010
Not every friend is worthy to be called a friend, and not every proposal is authentic. It is advisable that before u introduce a friend to your parents, you must make sure that he/she is a serious type to save ur family from shame and insult. Some, both guys and babes, maybe the eat and run type who just want to camouflage under the pretence of marriage but have something else in mind.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by wazobiang: 2:25pm On Jun 01, 2010
everybody should know everybody involved before any proposal. because this thing no be one man business o!
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by laprince(m): 2:55pm On Jun 01, 2010
It won't be the best news when you just walk up to your parents and and tell them that someone

has proposed to you.to some parents, it may mean that their daughter has been hiding and dating

behind them. It is safer and also shows that you have confidence and respect for your parents

when you tell them.It even makes the guy to respect your parents more.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 01, 2010
chaircover:

wink

Ehm ok fine maybe there is a likeness but calling it love is too much. smiley
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 01, 2010
These days I don't even like drama.

I am enjoying the silence as suggested by the Depeche Mode.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 01, 2010
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 01, 2010
And I thought I was just becoming more matured. . .
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by alldone(m): 3:56pm On Jun 01, 2010
let the guy proposed first before you take him to them. unless he has been your friend and your parent know him way back, that you can do anything.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Jun 01, 2010
Like some previous posters said, it depends on the kind of parents u have. My kind of folks prefer meeting ur man when he`s ready to pay the price ( get settled). Guess its the way they got hooked up.
But bringing this to our age and time, its not always the case. I`ve met guys who want to visit ur folks even when they have no intention of marrying you. So its no guaranatee.
I think one should be sure of wat he/she`s into before blowing the trumpet to everyone. It`ll save u some heartache if things go awry.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Jun 01, 2010
@ Mich,i seems marriage is what you desire right now.I hope you get who wants that and with you soon. But henceforth, try to do away with matured, it is mature.You don't need a 'd' to get that word adjectival.Take care!
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jun 01, 2010
ferdiii:

@ Mich,i seems marriage is what you desire right now.I hope you get who wants that and with you soon. But henceforth, try to do away with matured, it is mature.You don't need a 'd' to get that word adjectival.Take care!

I don't desire anything. . .you don't know me enough to draw conlusions from a post.
Re: Should A Guy Propose Before We Introduce Him To Mum & Dad? by koolboi(m): 7:08pm On Jun 01, 2010
men want to be like men in all things
iz it possible?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Questions For Married Men / Caught In D Act......how Do I Play It Out? / How To Catch A Cheating Boyfriend Or Husband- A Must Read For Ladies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.