Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly (14714 Views)

A Bill To Allow States Generate Electricity Passed By House Of Representatives / Akwa Ibom Assembly Reconvenes, Suspend 11 Members / Buhari Rejects Four Bills Passed By Reps, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Truthcat: 8:01am On Jun 10, 2018
As if you know what truth is. Keep your mumu flag flying.
obonujoker:

You hate truth... kuro je kin ri ona....
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by kettykings: 8:06am On Jun 10, 2018
damtan:
you'll be surprised Yorubas will still dominate.

how will they dominate when the Law is targeted at the recruiting aspect of most companies in the state, infact if the infuse the HR of most companies operating in the state with their indigenes all issues will be solved
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Ikpongiton: 8:22am On Jun 10, 2018
which of the companies now?mumu people.are you people too small to build the companies and employ your people as you like.nonsense bill.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by waveman2: 8:42am On Jun 10, 2018
You Don, t understand what is going on you just comment. Most of the companies have people from other tribes has their senior staff and these same Nigerians has we call them prefer to bring in the brother from other state to fill positions leaving out indigenes.if you talk about skill set and training there are a lot of youth with this skill sets but they will never be givenbopportunities because of tribalism in these companies.we are so tribalistic in nigerian and this law is a welcome development. The next one they should be talking about is how to compel these companies operating in these region to locate their offices in the areas of their jurisdictions.

Tiphareth:
This will not be successful because such laws fall under the Exclusive List, i.e. only the FG can make such law. Besides, this will create tribalism, favoritism and nepotism.

Do not compare this law to the one in the UK. The UK does not discriminate among their citizens. The UK comprises four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island. Any person from any of these four countries is treated equally in all respect.

I have lived in the UK for more than 15 years now and have not filled a form where I am asked of 'my state of origin'. They always ask your place of birth only, and how long you have lived in your current address.

Owing to the foregoing, I will not support the proposition of the current law in Nigeria except it discriminates against foreigners.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by maxti: 10:07am On Jun 10, 2018
Afam4eva:
I don't like this kind of law. It;s tantamount to just dividing the country, so that everyone can rest. Instead of this, why not compel companies to to employ people who have lived in the state for at least 2 years because these people are also contributing to the state through taxes.
Exactly my thoughts. We keep demeaning "one Nigeria"
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by LaudableXX: 12:00pm On Jun 10, 2018
TroubleMaker47:
But how come some yorubas are crying foul? undecided
Abi didn't they echo their support for Ambode when he mandated ALL schools to make Yoruba language COMPULSORY? (Like every other language doesn't matter!)
Who does that as part of a multilingual federation

I remember some yorubas commending the Governor for his "Pan Yorubaism" while screaming, other tribes can go to hell.

Well i just feel with the current crop of leadersrulers, this country is grinding to a halt, how soon it does all depends on the masses!!!
But Anambra & Imo did something similar years ago, and it is still being practised till date. sad Why didn't you condemn other states who had earlier implemented such laws, and you are now wailing over Lagos that just drafted their own law recently, on admission into state-owned higher institutions?

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by LaudableXX: 12:02pm On Jun 10, 2018
Tiphareth:
This will not be successful because such laws fall under the Exclusive List, i.e. only the FG can make such law. Besides, this will create tribalism, favoritism and nepotism.

Do not compare this law to the one in the UK. The UK does not discriminate among their citizens. The UK comprises four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island. Any person from any of these four countries is treated equally in all respect.

I have lived in the UK for more than 15 years now and have not filled a form where I am asked of 'my state of origin'. They always ask your place of birth only, and how long you have lived in your current address.

Owing to the foregoing, I will not support the proposition of the current law in Nigeria except it discriminates against foreigners.

You talk am well. wink Here, collect one chilled bottle from Mama Ekaette and use it to cool down... cheesy
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by LaudableXX: 12:03pm On Jun 10, 2018
TroubleMaker47:
Leave the hypocrites.
I remember them screaming, Lagos is yoruba and yoruba is Lagos, others can go to hell!
Forgetting that Lagos was once an FCT hence the entire nation pulled their resources to make Lagos work!.
What's most hurtful about that dammed law was that it compelled ALL schools!(private and public).
If Ambode is not part of Nigerias disunity then i wonder
Who is! undecided
Stop lying. sad That Lagos state law, only affected Lagos state-owned public institutions and NOT all federal public schools and private schools.

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by resurgent2019: 12:17pm On Jun 10, 2018
I love the law. It is time for the SW to enact and implement such laws for the benefit of omoluabi.

The rise of populism in yorubaland will be very interesting. Maybe it will force our igbo brothers to go back home. grin
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by eyinjuege: 12:24pm On Jun 10, 2018
Nothing wrong with it provided their indigenes have the required skills and qualifications.
Otherwise if a position is advertised, and no indigene meets the requirements and qualifications, then wahala dey be that. They will probably give it to a non indigene.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Dex4(m): 12:28pm On Jun 10, 2018
This is a good development to be copied by every state.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by TroubleMaker47(m): 1:17pm On Jun 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

Stop lying. sad That Lagos state law, only affected Lagos state-owned public institutions and NOT all federal public schools and private schools.
Knowledge is power.
Ignorance is death.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/lagos-house-assembly-passes-yoruba-language-bill-law/
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by TroubleMaker47(m): 1:18pm On Jun 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

But Anambra & Imo did something similar years ago, and it is still being practised till date. sad Why didn't you condemn other states who had earlier implemented such laws, and you are now wailing over Lagos that just drafted their own law recently, on admission into state-owned higher institutions?
Anambra and imo?
Can i see a link to that please?
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2018
flexyrule:
Am tired of hearing this lame Lagos line. Who are the majority of non-indigenes in Abuja?

I'll leave that to the census body.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by speedyGonzales: 3:15pm On Jun 10, 2018
Ximenez:
Just look at the way your brain is working in reverse. ... "In UK to hire a foreigner...."

Foreigner in that your statement means what? People from the country or people from outside the country? So someone that moved from Portharcourt or Calabar to Akwa ibom is now a foreigner.

I am speaking about Nigeria. If this things are handled very well by the FG, obviously the state would not need to compensate with their own laws (the host state should get a percentage and the country as a whole should get their percentage).
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by speedyGonzales: 3:26pm On Jun 10, 2018
loswhite:
The present governor of bank of England is a Canadian so are u saying that in the whole of England nobody is educated enough to hold that position? It is amazing the way u guys just come online to type rubbish....smh

Well, I speak from experience having lived and worked in the UK. The job of managing the Bank of England is not an easy job and requires a particular set of skills and he is the first foreigner to hold such a position and that choice must've been justified.

As UK Employees
Fundamentally, UK firms can't employ foreign workers directly, without local registration and (in most cases) presence.

https://timelesstime.co.uk/knowledgebase/employing-foreign-workers-abroad?page=1

Come on man, I am not coming here to lie to you; of what benefit is it to me. I Nigerian and I want a better country. Any of my claims that seem wrong to you, you can easily verify them using the Internet, it not that hard.
If I make mistakes I'll a accept my mistakes.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by LaudableXX: 4:39pm On Jun 10, 2018
TroubleMaker47:

Anambra and imo?
Can i see a link to that please?
TroubleMaker47:

Knowledge is power.
Ignorance is death.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/lagos-house-assembly-passes-yoruba-language-bill-law/

You have refused to learn. sad Nobody denied that Lagos House of Assembly passed the law. But the law does NOT include private schools or public schools owned by the federal govt. Or don't you know the difference?

As for Anambra and Imo passing their own language law, please go online and do some research. The info is in the public domain.

Nigeria: Igbo Language Compulsory in Imo Schools
Owerri — Vexed by the disappointing manner Igbo language is spoken across Igbo land particularly in Imo State, the Imo House of Assembly has passed a bill mandating teaching of the language in all schools in the state beginning from pre-nursery to secondary schools across the state.

The Assembly, in its plenary recently at its hallowed chamber where it passed the bill, warned that it would not hesitate to sanction any school or school head, who fails to comply by the law. http://allafrica.com/stories/201007130326.html

Obiano makes Igbo language compulsory | Posted By: Nwanosike Onu On: November 27, 2016 |
Addressing the crowd, Obiano announced that Igbo language had become compulsory in all the schools in the state, while students should be wearing Igbo native attires every Wednesday.

Also, every school in the state must make speaking of Igbo language every Wednesday compulsory, while the era of folk tales should be brought back with immediate effect.

The governor said with all these measures and establishment of Igbo radio in the state soon, Igbo language would not die as being speculated.

He also promised to take one or two persons of the Igbo group abroad each year, during what he called Anambra Day and World Igbo Congress (WIC). http://thenationonlineng.net/obiano-makes-igbo-language-compulsory/

Igbo Language Now Compulsory In Anambra Schools
Anambra State Government has decreed that the study of Igbo language is now compulsory, in secondary schools in the state. The state Governor, Mr. Peter Obi made this known at the weekend during a cultural competition in Awka, the state capital.

Obi, while addressing the crowd during the event that took place along the boulevard leading to the abandoned Government House complex said that the government was now determined to bring back the old glorious days of the people.

According to him, since the people abandoned their culture, all sorts of evil had multiplied as some people commit abomination and get away with it. "We have made the study of Igbo language compulsory in all secondary schools in the state. Anybody who wants to read in the state must read Igbo language. The reason why there are so many problems in Igbo land is because we lost our values and culture in our lives. We have no values. People come from anywhere and commit atrocities and get away with it. So we want to tell people that we come from somewhere," he said. https://www.naijarules.com/index.php?threads/igbo-language-now-compulsory-in-anambra-schools.25093/

Nigeria: Igbo Language Law Debuts in Anambra | By Chukwujekwu Ilozue | 7 JUNE 2010 |
Onitsha — Principals of secondary schools in Anambra State who promote pupils from Junior Secondary School III (JSS III) to Senior Secondary School I (SSS I) without the pupils passing Igbo language are to be removed from their positions and fined N5,000, for each of the pupils so promoted.

Also, any state or privately owned tertiary institution in the state which is found not to have established an Igbo language department or made Igbo language a mandatory general studies course by September, 2011 shall pay a fine of N100,000 for every month in which the offence continues. http://allafrica.com/stories/201006080539.html

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 4:43pm On Jun 10, 2018
Unconstitutional law.

The Nigerian constitution forbids any kind of discrimination.

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

You have refused to learn. sad Nobody denied that Lagos House of Assembly passed the law. But the law does NOT include private schools or public schools owned by the federal govt. Or don't you know the difference?

As for Anambra and Imo passing their own language law, please go online and do some research. The info is in the public domain.

The law is a good law and it does include private schools
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 4:50pm On Jun 10, 2018
My Ibo brothers will not like it if they are told at Alaba market they must recruit 20% of their apprentices from Lagos.

Employment must be open to all Nigerians. Where there is need to accommmodaate locals this has to be done by negotiation or laws that do noot flout the constitution
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 4:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
Truthcat:
Must you keep saying nonsense to feel good about yourself?

The Colonists described Lagos as "the richest, where the money is."

Lagos built Nigeria, it puts in $100 and gets $2 in return, no resources from anywhere came to Lagos. What resources do you even have to begin with? Yorubaland is still footing over 50% of Nigeria's bill, so what the hell is this Fct nonsense? Do you lose your identity because of your tenant? Fct was our freeloader tenant that didn't bring anything but took everything from Lagos and has since moved somewhere else but still leeching us.The English met Lagos a rich place and that's why they chose it after trying others, same reason you all have been running there in droves up till now.

Direct the fool to this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/4144976/lagos-1898before-nigeria-not-oil

3 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 4:57pm On Jun 10, 2018
The problem with such a law is the definition of "indigene" >

Many do not know that it is not defined in our constitution or law so it will be interesting to see how it is defined here
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 4:58pm On Jun 10, 2018
aribisala0:
The problem with such a law is the definition of "indigene" >

Many do not know that it is not defined in our constitution or law so it will be interesting to see how it is defined here
I'm sure it would have been okay by you if this was done in lagos.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by LaudableXX: 5:02pm On Jun 10, 2018
saintkeppy:
.The kind Tax CRSG will knack you ehn!
Infact you go just lock up ur office.
Those guys are not smilin'when it comes to Tax, they survive on Tax like U.K grin
Their 13% derivation is not much, &they have a very effective Tax drive to generate Internally as a result.
But this does not stop you from investin'in the Peoples' Paradise, they make good use of ur Tax mon€¥. smiley

Best bet sit down on a round table behind closed doors &negotiate with Govt.officials, CLO on how the employment quota gonna look like.

Most Companies coming into Rivers State usually adopt this system.
The reason behind "Community Chance" slogan in P.H where Indigenes are given opportunity to work via their CLO whether they qualify or u put 'em thru' Trainin'

Infact Corpers posted to Rivers were restrained from posting to companies so as to not take up the few available vacancies mearnt for their own indigenes when they return from service from other part of the country. This was what the previous Govt did.

Rivers Corpers must Teach grin or if u know ur way u can always fix urself somewhere &earn xtra ca$h!

Though Some CLO do sell some genuine slots to whoever that is interested especially to non-indigenes who can afford to pay Ca$h!

Please do not say things like the 13% derivative is not much, because that statement is blatantly untrue. sad The state govt pockets most of it, and it gets into the wrong hands, instead of being used directly for the communities, that it is meant for.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 5:15pm On Jun 10, 2018
Afam4eva:

I'm sure it would have been okay by you if this was done in lagos.
Lagos woul never do such.

There are loads of Eboes in Lagos civil service.

If this was done in Lagos it woud affect Alaba Market,Ladipo even Eboe oloshos

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by saintkeppy(m): 5:16pm On Jun 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

Please do not say things like the 13% derivative is not much, because that statement is blatantly untrue. sad The state govt pockets most of it, and it gets into the wrong hands, instead of being used directly for the communities, that it is meant for.

What I mearnt was CRS 13%derivation is not much compare to other ND states as a result of loss of most oil wells to AKS, so I am tellin'yu what I know as regards figures released by RMFC, Abuja.

Pls note, I am not disputin'the fact that the money might have gone into wrong hands, instead of usin'it for the betterment of the Communities, but what's ma biz.
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 5:21pm On Jun 10, 2018
aribisala0:
Lagos woul never do such.

There are loads of Eboes in Lagos civil service.

If this was done in Lagos it woud affect Alaba Market,Ladipo even Eboe oloshos
Please, let's not even go there.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 5:45pm On Jun 10, 2018
Afam4eva:

Please, let's not even go there.
Your point?
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by TroubleMaker47(m): 5:52pm On Jun 10, 2018
LaudableXX:

Wow! Never knew Anambra and Imo towed that same silly path. My bad.
But i still insist that the Lagos law included private schools, infact it put a fine of 250k or closure for erring schools
Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Afam4eva(m): 5:55pm On Jun 10, 2018
aribisala0:
Your point?
I go to the Lagos secretariat very often and all i see are Yoruba people. If there are Igbo people, they will be very minute and difficult to notice.

1 Like

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by aribisala0(m): 3:42pm On Jun 11, 2018
Afam4eva:

I go to the Lagos secretariat very often and all i see are Yoruba people. If there are Igbo people, they will be very minute and difficult to notice.

You have a machine that detects Eboeness or you just inspect their heads?

Sometimes your unintelligence is epic.

How many people work at Alausa?

So because YOU have been to Alausa you are now an expert on the demoographic configuration of Lagos State Civil Service?

What perenntage of Lagos state civil serviice are in Ikeja ? What proportion of those in Ikeja are in Alausa?

You think you know Lagos State when indeed you know nothing

2 Likes

Re: Bill To Compel Companies To Hire ‘indigenes’ Passed By Akwa Ibom Assembly by Newmanluckyman(m): 5:42pm On Jun 11, 2018
...protectionism at its peak. Wrong move in a so called 'United country bounded by so called unity in diversity '.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From Kano Durban 2018 / 69 FG’s Projects Ongoing In South-East - Lai Muhammed / Robert Mugabe Dies At 93, In Singapore

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.