Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,329 members, 7,815,655 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 PM

Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! (6046 Views)

Are Firstborns Really Brighter / 10 Ways Babies Are Smarter Than You Thought / Which Kids Are Naughtier? Naija Kids Or Kids Living Abroad. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by canuck(m): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2010
OK - I got your attention with the headline

Psychologists have long established that your position in your family (i.e. firstborn, secondborn, etc) affects almost every aspect of your life. This is known as the 'Birth Order Effects'.

Also, my research on U.S. Presidents is telling - Majority of them were firstborn children! (And this was mostly in the era when U.S. families had 6-8 children each). Also, most astronauts sent to space are firstborns.

FIRSTBORN CHILDREN

Smarter - First borns' IQ points are on average 3 points higher than their younger siblings; in fact, IQs tend to drop as more children are born in the family.

Education - First born children are more likely to go to college or university than youngest or middle children. Families invest more in first born children than middle or youngest children.

Parenting Tip: Don't Pile On Responsibilities - Older children often feel as though they do much more work around the house than their younger siblings.

MIDDLE BORN CHILDREN

Less decisive - Middle children may take longer to choose a career than firstborn or later-borns.

Opposite - They are guaranteed to be opposite of their older sibling.

Complex - Often feel like their older sibling gets all the glory while their younger one escapes all discipline

Out of place - May not feel they have a special place in the family so friends and peer groups become much more important

Parenting Tip: Make Time To Listen - Remember that middle children tend to avoid sharing how they really feel. Update the family album - There tend to be a billion photos of the firstborn and about six of the next child!

LASTBORN CHILDREN

Social - Babies of the family are social and outgoing. However, they also have the potential to be manipulative, spoiled or babied to the point of helplessness.

Responsibility - They are the most financially irresponsible of all birth order.

Attention - They are attention hogs! Last born kids love the limelight.

Parenting Tip: Hand Out Responsibility - Lastborns often wind up with less to do around the house. Remember to applaud their accomplishments

ONLY CHILDREN

This is a firstborn on steroids! They are even more responsible and even bigger perfectionists. They usually get along better with people older than themselves.

They may also have some lastborn tendencies.

Parenting Tip: Ditto for firstborns!

Sources:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/06/10/earlyshow/living/parenting/main511694.shtml
http://developmental-psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_birth_order_changes_your_life
http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pubs/fypubs/WLG_237%20Birth%20Order%20Member.pdf
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by canuck(m): 5:20pm On Jun 01, 2010
Of course, there are some exceptions to every rule/pattern.

I am a middle child and this research describes me to a tee. . .as a child.

I had to reinvent myself as an older teenager when I realized that the world was build by firstborns, and for firstborns!

I also know some lastborns who function like firstborns, probably because in all cases, their older siblings (firstborns) are irresponsible.

NL - Does this categorization fit who you are and those you know?
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Kunbee: 11:07pm On Jun 01, 2010
IM not spoilt angry angry angry
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by canuck(m): 1:09am On Jun 02, 2010
Kunbee:

IM not spoilt angry angry angry

LOL! Don't take the "spoilt" comment literally cheesy

So do you fit the "love the limelight" description for lastborns?
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Kunbee: 1:12am On Jun 02, 2010
Mine is that, i dont do much of house chores etc grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by iice(f): 4:17pm On Jun 02, 2010
My youngest bro is not spoilt. He's the blacksheep grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by kodewrita(m): 11:28am On Nov 04, 2011
There should be a thread for ONLY MALES. Thats probably an african phenom anyway.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Emmyk(m): 1:46am On Nov 05, 2011
I'm not spoilt oo.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by freecocoa(f): 6:54am On Nov 05, 2011
Story
I'm not anywhere near sloppy,less loved ko,I'm the favorite for both parents(no jokes)in short that research or whatever is wrong.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by honeric01(m): 9:12am On Nov 05, 2011
Whoever wrote this should be confined to a cell room for life.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by lucy1(f): 9:35pm On Nov 05, 2011
Not always true. The order can be reversed whatever way u want to look at it varying by individual families.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by N101: 11:05pm On Nov 05, 2011
@ Canuck - as a fellow middle child, I have to disagree with you. 

I'm not indecisive, I've always known what I wanted to do and have done it in one capacity or another, I don't compare myself with my older sibling, and the sloppiest are the oldest and youngest! The one thing I can tell you most middle children are is flexible.  You do whatever you need to do to do to get where you want, which includes avoiding whatever the older sibling does so you aren't forever being compared to them.  No child should have to endure that.

Remember you also have to include the birth order of the parents to understand how that plays out with the children.  There are lots of other factors involved, like the gender of the siblings above and below you plus, if you've read widely enough on the subject, you will learn that middle children are the hardest to define - we are that unique!

1 Like

Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Outstrip(f): 5:18pm On Nov 06, 2011
I am the middle child. Kind of. 2nd of 5. I agree that you kind of feel like the oldest one gets all this special things and the younger ones just get a free pass. It makes you tough though. The middle child tends to be sort of ignored so you just automatically figure out how to do for yourself. I think parents unconsciously ignore the middle child and it cuts across cultures, race, social status etc
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Nobody: 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2011
I really dont agree with everything listed above,

I m kind of a middle child and I am spoiled cos my older sibling despise me when we were young cos I got all the attention even the last born didnt (I dont know how to explain that tho) and until now I'm kinda still the favorite.

For My kids; I have 3kids
Trust funds- the first child has the fatest dough for college.

Needs- Fist child gets all new stuff and other kids gets hand me down from her, lol

Attention- now the last born gets most of that even tho we try and share our time with them

Trouble maker- Middle child of course but cos they think they get neglected most of the time they do things to make you see them 24 -7

Na wa. the tin tire me sef smiley
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Nobody: 7:56pm On Nov 06, 2011
I am not spoilt. With the kind of mother I have, you don't stand a chance in blazzing hell angry
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Outstrip(f): 8:23pm On Nov 06, 2011
jennykadry:

I am not spoilt. With the kind of mother I have, you don't stand a chance in blazzing hell angry

Compared to your siblings I am sure they let you get away with more. I am sure if I asked your oldest sibling they will be like that one was the princess grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Nov 06, 2011
Outstrip, I am suing you for defamation of character angry grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Outstrip(f): 9:15pm On Nov 06, 2011
That's okay your older siblings will sit on my side of the courtroom LOL
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Nobody: 2:08am On Nov 07, 2011
Outstrip:

I am the middle child. Kind of. 2nd of 5. I agree that you kind of feel like the oldest one gets all this special things and the younger ones just get a free pass. It makes you tough though. The middle child tends to be sort of ignored so you just automatically figure out how to do for yourself. I think parents unconsciously ignore the middle child and it cuts across cultures, race, social status etc

Lol, me too. But I didn't even notice any preferential treatment except for the last-born, and that was normal. Don't wanna be first or last born, being second was a good hiding place, was able to disappear without anyone noticing and that was how I liked it. grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Outstrip(f): 2:28am On Nov 07, 2011
stillwater:

Lol, me too. But I didn't even notice any preferential treatment except for the last-born, and that was normal. Don't wanna be first or last born, being second was a good hiding place, was able to disappear without anyone noticing and that was how I liked it. grin
I agree. You learn to disappear. My mom was always looking for my trouble though
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Nobody: 2:30am On Nov 07, 2011
Outstrip:

I agree. You learn to disappear. My mom was always looking for my trouble though

Me too. I have found my lost twin. shocked grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Outstrip(f): 3:27am On Nov 07, 2011
lol
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Digriz(m): 6:30am On Nov 07, 2011
Neva blv ths.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by N101: 5:41pm On Nov 08, 2011
@ Stillwater, Outstrip - shocked I didn't know there was anyone else who liked being invisible apart from me!

Those middle child invisibility super powers still work for me grin
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by DereI(f): 6:13pm On Nov 08, 2011
@ Poster, I disagree with you in all aspect of your post. I am the last child of the house. And believe or not, I have a high IQ, i am hardworking. At my age, i work, i manage the family business here in this town, i mostly displease myself to please my family, i struggle, i hustle , name it.

So please, Re-research and re-write your so called philosophy.

Coz i'm not spoilt, nor lazy, nor financially irresponsible.

Thank you.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Knight1(m): 7:27pm On Nov 08, 2011
i disagree.
IN terms of IQ, i have found last borns to be higher, using that IQ properly is another issue any way. in fact from what i have personally seen, IQ seems to increase as you go down. now to the issue of choosing career, most firstborns just take after their parents which make it look like they are decisive, middle are the ones confronted with the real challenge of doing what they want or what their parents want
and the last borns, typically, we all expect to get richer as the marriage progresses i.e when you have your firstborn, you likel sweep with the good old broom and grind with stone grin, by the middle you acquire vacuum cleaner and blender, by the time the lastborn arrives, there are all sorts of gadgets available to reduce stress
and that's why we lastborns APPEAR spoilt grin grin. but we aren't! trust me wink
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Outstrip(f): 8:54pm On Nov 08, 2011
N101:

@ Stillwater, Outstrip - shocked I didn't know there was anyone else who liked being invisible apart from me!

Those middle child invisibility super powers still work for me grin

I call it float like a butterfly sting like a bee. LOL. When people do not know you they think you are just quiet until arghhhhhhhhhhhhh out of no where the real you comes out. It is a super power for real. It actually makes you very observant. I bet you usually find that most people do not reason like you. It's all those years of sitting by yourself and pondering on things most people do not even think about.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by tpia5: 3:10pm On Mar 14, 2013
Knight1: i disagree.
IN terms of IQ, i have found last borns to be higher, using that IQ properly is another issue any way. in fact from what i have personally seen, IQ seems to increase as you go down. now to the issue of choosing career, most firstborns just take after their parents which make it look like they are decisive, middle are the ones confronted with the real challenge of doing what they want or what their parents want
and the last borns, typically, we all expect to get richer as the marriage progresses i.e when you have your firstborn, you likel sweep with the good old broom and grind with stone grin, by the middle you acquire vacuum cleaner and blender, by the time the lastborn arrives, there are all sorts of gadgets available to reduce stress
and that's why we lastborns APPEAR spoilt grin grin. but we aren't! trust me wink

lol

true about the broom thingy and vacuum cleaner. And blender (after the older ones have used grinding stone tire. Those things should be in museums)

and what about legedez benz/molue/taxi for the older kids, then upgrading to car by the time the younger ones arrive.

or from jalopy to peugeot 504 to fancy ride during the last born's era.

una no dey sabi wetin people don pass through.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by tpia5: 3:14pm On Mar 14, 2013
Dere I: @ Poster, I disagree with you in all aspect of your post. I am the last child of the house. And believe or not, I have a high IQ, i am hardworking. At my age, i work, i manage the family business here in this town, i mostly displease myself to please my family, i struggle, i hustle , name it.

So please, Re-research and re-write your so called philosophy.

Coz i'm not spoilt, nor lazy, nor financially irresponsible.

Thank you.

true, not all last borns are spoilt, sometimes it could also depend on the age difference between you and your siblings.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by tpia5: 3:16pm On Mar 14, 2013
@ topic

birth order is very important among yorubas.
Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by Ivynwa(f): 4:01pm On Mar 14, 2013
I don't agree that last borns are always spoilt. My only sister is the last born and that young woman is amazing in wisdom, maturity and composure.
Yeah, my other siblings complains that she collects money from everybody (all our siblings)and enjoys herself and comes back for more grin but she is the one holding down our family right now doing all the mama stuff, taking care of everybody including my sisters-in-law when they give birth and need much care. She is even stronger than me, you can put heads together with her to make excellent decisions and when momma passed away she was the one even comforting me. She is the last born but isn't spoilt at all.

As for firstborns, yeah they are always too serious and always getting in your business and giving you that "Diokpara/firstborn" authority attitude. Lol grin

1 Like

Re: Firstborns Are Smarter - Middle Kids Are Sloppy - Lastborns Are Spoilt! by FXKing2012(m): 4:30pm On Mar 14, 2013
tpia@:

true, not all last borns are spoilt, sometimes it could also depend on the age difference between you and your siblings.
The people you are owing are waiting for you on the other thread. SCAMMER!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Babay Born With Two Faces / Military Marriage / 11 Funny Things About Me...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.