Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,429 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:39 PM

What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. (516 Views)

What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive? / What Do I Do With A Degree In Library And Information Science / Siwes (it) Report For Library And Information Science Department (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by Gerald620: 6:40pm On Jun 10, 2018
These two terms seem familiar. I had a serious argument with someone yesterday regarding this. I tried to make him understand the two terms are clearly different, I even cited examples. But, he instead they are the same.
Please, intelligent people in the house, your answers are needed to end this puzzle. Thanks
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by DOUBLEWAHALA: 6:43pm On Jun 10, 2018
the different is the spelling
the next person will give us his/her ideal
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by Gerald620: 7:13pm On Jun 10, 2018
DOUBLEWAHALA:
the different is the spelling
the next person will give us his/her ideal
You r not serious. Are you?
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by Stevegay(m): 8:53pm On Jun 10, 2018
A LIBRARY can be said to be a place where books and other relevant educational materials are kept for the benefit of staff, students, researchers and/other library clientele. While an ARCHIVE is an in institution that houses important documents of another organization for permanent preservation.
Documents in the ARCHIVE cannot be consulted by anyone without the permission of the person/institution that own them and the consultation must be done under the watchful eyes of the archives manager.
In the library, a registered user/clientele can come in and select the material he needs and start making use of it but not so in an archive.

NOTE:: ARCHIVES can mean the institution or the collection that is being housed for permanent preservation.

I hope this helps.
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by Gerald620: 9:08pm On Jun 10, 2018
Stevegay:
A LIBRARY can be said to be a place where books and other relevant educational materials are kept for the benefit of staff, students, researchers and/other library clientele. While an ARCHIVE is an in institution that houses important documents of another organization for permanent preservation.
Documents in the ARCHIVE cannot be consulted by anyone without the permission of the person/institution that own them and the consultation must be done under the watchful eyes of the archives manager.
In the library, a registered user/clientele can come in and select the material he needs and start making use of it but not so in an archive.

NOTE:: ARCHIVES can mean the institution or the collection that is being housed for permanent preservation.

I hope this helps.
Thanks
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by Stevegay(m): 9:21pm On Jun 10, 2018
Gerald620:
Thanks

welcome
Re: What's The Difference Between A Library And An Archive.. by cloud7: 9:33pm On Jun 10, 2018
Just to add, any records and documents that are adjudged of permanent preservation by the owner or creator can be referred as an Archive, However, Library, is a place where current books and audio visuals materials are being kept for consultation by the clients with little or no restrictions, Most times, some Library building houses archival materials, though they are classified and separated differently within the Library in a safe and secure container,,

(1) (Reply)

Best School Management Software In Africa / Where Are The Smart Nairalanders ( List ) / Student From Onitsha SAVEASOUL Will B In Silicon Valley U.S To Represent Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.