Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. (3502 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / Help! My Car Goes Off When I Put In Drive Or Reverse. / Help My Car Stalls When Put On Drive Or Reverse Gear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by onilanre(m): 7:59pm On Jun 11, 2018
My Toyota Camry 2007 vehicle starts up fine, engine idles regularly, in neutral the engine can be revved up with no problem. When car is put into drive or reverse, the engine sputters and then seizes up and dies. Check engine light comes on after car engine dies. My car mileage is 118500k, automatic transmission.
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by Kashif(m): 10:08pm On Jun 11, 2018
onilanre:
My Toyota Camry 2007 vehicle starts up fine, engine idles regularly, in neutral the engine can be revved up with no problem. When car is put into drive or reverse, the engine sputters and then seizes up and dies. Check engine light comes on after car engine dies. My car mileage is 118500k, automatic transmission.

Torque converter clutch is staying applied. Raise the two front tyres off the ground and see what happens. How did this start?
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by thebigkendo(m): 10:31pm On Jun 11, 2018
onilanre:

What engine RPM at idle and at Drive just before it sputters and dies?

Any recent job on A/C or idle control valve?
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:17am On Jun 12, 2018
Kashif:

Torque converter clutch is staying applied. Raise the two front tyres off the ground and see what happens. How did this start?

reminds me of an avalon case that almost wrecked me.

I think he should take out the main harness also from the transmission and drive it in manual to rule out an ecu fault
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by onilanre(m): 5:46am On Jun 12, 2018
Kashif:

I was just driving home from work then I stopped for traffic light and the engine goes off. That's all.
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by onilanre(m): 5:48am On Jun 12, 2018
thebigkendo:

Any recent job on A/C or idle control valve?

No work done on the AC or idle control valve. The car works fine on neutral gear but goes off immediately I load the gear
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by thebigkendo(m): 8:32am On Jun 12, 2018
onilanre:

No work done on the AC or idle control valve. The car works fine on neutral gear but goes off immediately I load the gear

Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by Kashif(m): 2:22pm On Jun 17, 2018
GAZZUZZ:

reminds me of an avalon case that almost wrecked me.

I think he should take out the main harness also from the transmission and drive it in manual to rule out an ecu fault

You are correct. But another angle to it is determining if the solenoid is Normally Applied or Normally Vented. An open circuit will create the same effect, depending on the type, with or without the ECU.
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by gateleo(m): 3:10pm On Jun 17, 2018
onilanre:

I was just driving home from work then I stopped for traffic light and the engine goes off. That's all.

Please try scan the car and share the codes here...

1 Like

Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 17, 2018
Figure out the major ground wires on your car and check all of them.

Does your cluster also turn off or flicker?
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by Ehybrid: 10:14pm On Jun 17, 2018
onilanre:

Have you done a scan to know the codes? They could make resolving the issue so much easier.
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by AutoElectNG: 10:31pm On Jun 17, 2018
Contact Whynow...ask him to scan all the vehicle with the factory scan tool...it will not be a free service...be loaded...it costs money to acquire factory scan tools and they provide comprehensive coverage no aftermarket tool can match
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by onilanre(m): 6:04pm On Jun 24, 2018
Solved: the problem is from the gearbox. The car was scanned with error code: P0770 Shift Solenoid.

The gearbox was dropped, opened and the following was replaced

Solenoid
Some burnt fibre
Converter.

And the car is good to go now.

1 Like

Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by onilanre(m): 6:05pm On Jun 24, 2018
onilanre:

Solved: the problem is from the gearbox. The car was scanned with error code: P0770 Shift Solenoid.

Solenoid
Some burnt fibre
Converter.

Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by Kashif(m): 8:54pm On Jun 24, 2018
onilanre:

Solenoid
Some burnt fibre
Converter.

Congrats, though I feel a converter change alone could have solved the problem.

2 Likes

Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by thebigkendo(m): 9:23pm On Jun 24, 2018
onilanre:

Solenoid
Some burnt fibre
Converter.

Elo ni?
Re: Pls Help: Car Engine Turns Off And Dies When Car Is Put In Drive Or Reverse. by onilanre(m): 4:46am On Jun 28, 2018
thebigkendo:

Elo ni?

(1) (Reply)

Impacts Of Salvaged Cars To Human / Free Vehicle Scan For Car/s & Suvs Owners In Lagos State / Allowing This.... To Fail, Would Cause You A Fortune

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.