Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,740 members, 7,827,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? (25400 Views)

Fayemi Celebrates Command Secondary School, A Project He Started 4 Years Ago / 'Deeper Life School'-A Miracle Centre For JAMB Examinations / What Is The Role Of A University Chancellor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by tatawesome(f): 9:48am On Jun 12, 2018
Or Serena/ Sharapova

punisha:
Seriously in Nigeria the degree is almost good as useless. I read IR , but I work in a bank. Whilst those that didn't go to school are doing exceptionally well financially. I handle their accounts so I know this.
All fingers are not equal they say and yes I may be doing fine after 7years of giving my life to banking, but if I had known what I know now, I won't have bothered going to school o!
A man's gift / talents makes life easier... Help ur kids maximise their potentials early and they might just be d next Messi or Ronaldo or Dangote.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by TheUbermensch: 9:56am On Jun 12, 2018
punisha:
Seriously in Nigeria the degree is almost good as useless. I read IR , but I work in a bank. Whilst those that didn't go to school are doing exceptionally well financially. I handle their accounts so I know this.
All fingers are not equal they say and yes I may be doing fine after 7years of giving my life to banking, but if I had known what I know now, I won't have bothered going to school o!
A man's gift / talents makes life easier... Help ur kids maximise their potentials early and they might just be d next Messi or Ronaldo or Dangote.

You read international relations but work in a bank?

Mind blown.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by tatawesome(f): 10:05am On Jun 12, 2018
Man! where u from?
u are a clown. lol

obaival:
A SCHOOL is where u go for schooling, A COLLEGE is where u go for colleging, while UNIVERSITY is where u go n be forming slay queen, carrying book in hand wearing anything to lectures in ARABANKO life grin
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by imepaul(m): 10:18am On Jun 12, 2018
I asked my guy John this same question immediately I saw this topic, he smiled and said Uniben has it all.
University of Benin
College of Medicine
School of Basic medical science

Lwkmd. John is really a clown!!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Koyayikobeyiba: 10:31am On Jun 12, 2018
chocorex:

It's not collage of education Vs a university. Its collage Vs university. In the UK when someone says I am in collage they mean they are in university level. Collage of education is an associate degree

In U.K., if you were to say "I am in college" most people would assume that you are either studying for a post 16 year old vocational qualification (hair dressing, electrician, chef, healthcare, secretarial qualifications, accounting) or studying for qualifications that would qualify you for entrance into University (Advanced levels "A levels" or Highers in Scotland).

Colleges are generally seen as an entry point into higher education after school with colleges generally offering diplomas for completing a two year course with teenagers going there and not having to pay due to their age. University would usually be the next route after college if you’re looking to continue higher education. College you can get into straight after leaving school with just GCSE’s whilst University would require you to acquire A levels or a diploma before going.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by toye440: 10:40am On Jun 12, 2018
school is d general name given to any institution of learning. School can b categorised into 3 mamely:
Primary
Secondary
Tertiary.
now back to our topic college and university falls under d Tertiary kind of institution and d difference btw them is in their curriculum, struction i.e. Hierarchy and certificate they issue.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by DeepSight(m): 10:40am On Jun 12, 2018
Little unlearned OP, read carefully and understand these words.

All are schools, and indeed the world itself is a school.
I hope you understand this school of thought.

Fools understand foolish things,
But the schooled understand schoolish things

Now a college is an expression or division of a school
In the School of the world for example, there is the famous College of Suffering

You need a Bachelor of Suffering Degree to really understand the world
Ere you approach for the Masters or Doctorates of Control of Thoughts

And what is a University?
A University is the Universe.

Or a droplet of same.
Still a School.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Mustay(m): 10:52am On Jun 12, 2018
punisha:

This comment of yours is loaded - yes, Nigeria has a dysfunctional system but many times, we don't realise we went to school to get an education. It is not only in Nigeria that you have people like you who studied A and did B. You went to SCHOOL to get an education. The UNIVERSITY trained you and gave you a degree. The expectation is to work in a related field but it doesn't always start or end that way.

When you are made the Head of West African operations or work in an international bank, your BSc in IR begins to make sense. That's the transferable knowledge you have. When you get a job in the UN or embassy and you guys have to deal with financial institutions, your bank experience beings to make sense. Oh, what if you visit Germany, speak German and a client simply needs someone like you to deal with their Swiss clients? Oh, now you see how studying German language for 4 years may not be a waste of time.

So, what's the essence of my post? Your education wasn't a waste of time. You're only acquiring experiences to probably be that future rich man you're aspiring to become.

This same education is what some of these rich guys crave for because, yes they have income but have little knowledge of the market or system. They have dubious managers who dupe them, marketers who lure them and other issues that make their riches fizzle out in the next minute. So bro, we are on different lanes. Trade does bring income but what about management? I like that Cesc Fabregas went to school while playing because it happens to most footballers that after their active years, they are switching to another career and money can easily go without proper investment. Those of them who went to school and studied pundits; took a course, attended press conferences after the matches get into sports media easily because those experiences exposed them to the inner workings of that industry.

Macron worked in Lagos but there was one thing he was acquiring - experience using English language. Though he got a job in a related field, he still needed to acquire something else that could have been easily ignored. He could have chosen to go to other Francophone countries but today, he is French president and multilingual too. He needs no translator when he gets to G7 meetings and during some foreign visits.

Many at times, we are only taught how to graduate in Nigeria but not taught how to explore. No experience or knowledge is useless. It could be working with an Alaba boy, it could be learning Swahili, it could be visiting the stadium every weekend, it could be hanging out with the police men - they are all acquired experiences. There is a process to get to where you want to get to. School is just teaching you the basics while experience makes knowledge to be easily applied. It is how you transfer the relevant knowledge and experiences while remaining focused in your career that matters. EXPLORE!

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Donspicey: 11:07am On Jun 12, 2018
I Went To School(primary),i Learnt Many Tinz,,
I Went To College(secondary),,i Also Learnt Many Tinz
Mehn Wen I Enta University,i "Smh" 4d Lyf Wey I Meet 4 Dia,,.No B Evrybody Wey Know Book Know The Way Ooo
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by smpclippingpath(m): 11:36am On Jun 12, 2018
thanks all best suggestions for me ..
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Truthcat: 12:17pm On Jun 12, 2018
Actually the word college is mostly used in the US, it is rare to hear university except when calling the name of the school like " my Aunt went to Emory University" that's it. But you will hear " I'm saving up for college" or "college tuition" or "grants for college" or "getting ready for college' among others. Nigerians say "we went to the same 'universty' grin not even 'university' oo! But Americans say "we went to the same college. So they have basically replaced university with college in the US
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by PaschalWooden(m): 2:42pm On Jun 12, 2018
Simply put it that college is more like a grouped/combined faculty/ies... say; college of Applied Sciences
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by AngusMoncrieff: 10:10am On Feb 11, 2019
There is a big difference between school, college, and university, they are different educational institutions, almost all studied at least in one of them. In each educational institution, you have to work hard to achieve success, I can help you with my dissertation at AU Edusson, this is one of the most difficult types of work, I will be happy to help.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:52pm On Feb 11, 2019
perdollar:
in school u find university. in university u find colleges. in colleges u find department. in department u find classrooms. in classrooms ryt at d back u find me.

cheesy grin grin

Your signature is nice as well.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:54pm On Feb 11, 2019
YoungFr:

High school in the USA is our secondary school here in Nigeria, the difference is that if you finish high school in the US you can get a job with it

You can also get a job with your SSCE here too grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:57pm On Feb 11, 2019
cezarman:

My IR kpali is still in LASU since 2015. I always forget I've a kpali somewhere to collect sef.
It's useless to me right now and I don't know if it'll ever be useful... I doubt sha

After all the presentations and all the 'bank dressing'... Na that one pain me passsmiley

You mean IR is that useless in Nigeria? shocked
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 12:57pm On Feb 11, 2019
Neoteny:
A school is where you badly want to touch girl's breasts

A college is where you finally got to touch the breasts

A university is where you contract your first gonorrhea

cheesy cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 1:03pm On Feb 11, 2019
DeepSight:
Little unlearned OP, read carefully and understand these words.

All are schools, and indeed the world itself is a school.
I hope you understand this school of thought.

Fools understand foolish things,
But the schooled understand schoolish things

Now a college is an expression or division of a school
In the School of the world for example, there is the famous College of Suffering

You need a Bachelor of Suffering Degree to really understand the world
Ere you approach for the Masters or Doctorates of Control of Thoughts

And what is a University?
A University is the Universe.

Or a droplet of same.
Still a School.

This one is a philosopher cry
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 1:07pm On Feb 11, 2019
Mustay:

This comment of yours is loaded - yes, Nigeria has a dysfunctional system but many times, we don't realise we went to school to get an education. It is not only in Nigeria that you have people like you who studied A and did B. You went to SCHOOL to get an education. The UNIVERSITY trained you and gave you a degree. The expectation is to work in a related field but it doesn't always start or end that way.

When you are made the Head of West African operations or work in an international bank, your BSc in IR begins to make sense. That's the transferable knowledge you have. When you get a job in the UN or embassy and you guys have to deal with financial institutions, your bank experience beings to make sense. Oh, what if you visit Germany, speak German and a client simply needs someone like you to deal with their Swiss clients? Oh, now you see how studying German language for 4 years may not be a waste of time.

So, what's the essence of my post? Your education wasn't a waste of time. You're only acquiring experiences to probably be that future rich man you're aspiring to become.

This same education is what some of these rich guys crave for because, yes they have income but have little knowledge of the market or system. They have dubious managers who dupe them, marketers who lure them and other issues that make their riches fizzle out in the next minute. So bro, we are on different lanes. Trade does bring income but what about management? I like that Cesc Fabregas went to school while playing because it happens to most footballers that after their active years, they are switching to another career and money can easily go without proper investment. Those of them who went to school and studied pundits; took a course, attended press conferences after the matches get into sports media easily because those experiences exposed them to the inner workings of that industry.

Macron worked in Lagos but there was one thing he was acquiring - experience using English language. Though he got a job in a related field, he still needed to acquire something else that could have been easily ignored. He could have chosen to go to other Francophone countries but today, he is French president and multilingual too. He needs no translator when he gets to G7 meetings and during some foreign visits.

Many at times, we are only taught how to graduate in Nigeria but not taught how to explore. No experience or knowledge is useless. It could be working with an Alaba boy, it could be learning Swahili, it could be visiting the stadium every weekend, it could be hanging out with the police men - they are all acquired experiences. There is a process to get to where you want to get to. School is just teaching you the basics while experience makes knowledge to be easily applied. It is how you transfer the relevant knowledge and experiences while remaining focused in your career that matters. EXPLORE!

Baba,you shana. I bow for thee.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 11, 2019
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

You can also get a job with your SSCE here too grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
You mean Fuel station attendance or 10k job wic is less than 30 USD cry cry cry
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Cormung: 3:09pm On Feb 18, 2019
In my opinion, school is the place where we get relaxed! Really, we do nothing there. The situation gets worse at the university. We must write a lot of essays and other writing works. Sometimes I couldn't do it myself and I had to but them https://rapidessay.com/write-my-coursework.html I even spent money!
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 23, 2019
YoungFr:

High school in the USA is our secondary school here in Nigeria, the difference is that if you finish high school in the US you can get a job with it
Same thing happened in Nigeria until the system collapsed. S.S.C.E was begged to teach or work in many firms but now things has changed
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Feb 23, 2019
Mustay:

Bravo
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Feb 23, 2019
I learn that some high schools in the United States have professors is it true? If it is, is it different from university professors or they are the same?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by daylelong: 5:07pm On Apr 09, 2019
The difference in the degree of education and the difficulty of obtaining a diploma. It is difficult for me to write even the smallest essay and that is why my dissertations and essays were a real hell for me. I enjoyed the wonderful service https://educatingessays.co.uk/dissertation-writing-services/ which always helped me get high marks. They provide excellent work for little money.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by AmourAl: 5:27pm On Dec 07, 2020
The only difference that I do not need a help at school. It was easy. But college is hell. Luckily, I found this https://essaydragon.com/blog/write-essay-tips blog. A lot of useful info with a real examples.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by Bulavagolova: 12:33pm On Jun 30, 2022
I believe that the school gives the child the basic knowledge that everyone should have in order to live in a civilized world. University can give you a deeper knowledge in a specialized field, which can make you a good employee in a certain field or just a more erudite person. A college is more of a university, but I like it more because their course of study is usually shorter, but their programs and opportunities are just as good. For example, asa college hialeah has programs in business, medicine, psychology, and whatnot, and the duration of study is about 2 years, while at the university you study for about 4 years and basically master the same.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A School, A College And A University? by OsbornTyler7: 6:59pm On Sep 02, 2022
If you are struggling to write a term paper, you may want to consider get help with term paper at assignmenthelper. Academic life can be stressful, and while it's important to be self-motivated and organized, you may also need some help sometimes. Fortunately, you can get term paper help from an assignment helper at affordable rates.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Veritas University, Abuja Shuts Down Academic Activities Over insecurity / Corona School Celebrates Its 60th Anniversary Gala (Photos) / FG Bans Assemblies, Overcrowding, Visiting Days As Schools Resume On Monday 18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.