Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,779 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! (21204 Views)

NDIC Calls On Depositors In 20 Liquidated Banks To Claim Their Money / About 99.4% Of Bank Accounts Contain Less Than N500,000 - NDIC / NDIC Shuts Down 42 Microfinance Banks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by pawesome(m): 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2018
Jabioro:
Na today! We go survived am..
yes...we will SURVIVED

2 Likes

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by Just2endowed2(m): 3:15pm On Jun 13, 2018
Now a days, Banks are not allowed to fold up. To brink sanity and protection of deposit funds, Govt buy the liabilities of the bank or simply buy the bank and appoint new directors till books are balance and in turn, the govt sell the bank again.

Era of Bank failure has ended and we are not in the 90s again.

So no pannick

Its just that CBN had made banks to be so lazy that they now depends on deduction from customers saving account to make huge profit and they have abandon the critical sector that need money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by israelmao(m): 3:16pm On Jun 13, 2018
Drifting towards another bailout?
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by Gidigbamm: 3:28pm On Jun 13, 2018
planetx13:

Done. Check and confirm

If you have sent an email, the details must have been sent to your email.
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by Kobicove(m): 3:34pm On Jun 13, 2018
Intrepid01:
I only hope the CBN Governor would have the required clout to do the needful

@Dominique; this is important

The CBN Governor already has the legal backing to sanction any erring bank, the main question is if he has the will power to do so? undecided
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by kuuljay(m): 3:37pm On Jun 13, 2018
My 3k

1 Like

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by Intrepid01(m): 3:59pm On Jun 13, 2018
Kobicove:

The CBN Governor already has the legal backing to sanction any erring bank, the main question is if he has the will power to do so? undecided

Which is the clout I was referring to....knowing that the guy na former banker
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by eodavids(m): 4:29pm On Jun 13, 2018
Intrepid01:
I only hope the CBN Governor would have the required clout to do the needful

@Dominique; this is important

I also wish that they had mentioned some or all of those banks that stand bigger risks of collapsing...
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by Intrepid01(m): 4:43pm On Jun 13, 2018
eodavids:

I also wish that they had mentioned some or all of those banks that stand bigger risks of collapsing...

Naa that would be dangerous to the economy. With the provided report by NDIC, CBN can proceed to investigate and sanction erring banks.

1 Like

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by nkul: 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2018
have they told the President?
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by FairAdvocate(m): 5:34pm On Jun 13, 2018
emeijeh:

Cream ko, pomade ni
No... but it will be a cream for the young man to give the window organism grin
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by einsteine(m): 5:42pm On Jun 13, 2018
enemyofprogress:
I keep my money inside my wallet

Please guys is it a cream for a young man to marry a window?

No, it's a lotion.
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by beadaholic(f): 7:38pm On Jun 13, 2018
enemyofprogress:

No, it's a SOAP
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by debaj10: 8:57pm On Jun 13, 2018
flexyrule:
No need panicking... Except if you're among the 2% that own the 90% deposits.
guy, u don mis am o.
CBN can only guarantee 50-150k of each deposit.
if banks go down, many hundreds of thousands will go down.
remember mainstreet and Skye banks? new names for old, failed banks.
recall what happened to depositors and shareholders?
and in a weak economy, a domino effect is quite possible, leading to thousands of businesses folding up.
guy,
IMF warned, kemi said, gerarahia.
now, ndic and emefiele are scared.
we should be screaming at everyone in govt- and at each other- to tackle this immediately.
but as #lazynigerians, we'll wait until it's a runaway train.

1 Like

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by tablesturn: 9:58pm On Jun 13, 2018
A word is enough for the wise. If you have money in HERITAGE BANK, you are on your own...

1 Like

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by flexyrule(m): 10:18pm On Jun 13, 2018
debaj10:
guy, u don mis am o.
CBN can only guarantee 50-150k of each deposit.
if banks go down, many hundreds of thousands will go down.
remember mainstreet and Skye banks? new names for old, failed banks.
recall what happened to depositors and shareholders?
and in a weak economy, a domino effect is quite possible, leading to thousands of businesses folding up.
guy,
IMF warned, kemi said, gerarahia.
now, ndic and emefiele are scared.
we should be screaming at everyone in govt- and at each other- to tackle this immediately.
but as #lazynigerians, we'll wait until it's a runaway train.
Hmmmmm. who keep money in the bank these days? When there is real estate, forex, cryptocurrency trades and other more profitable businesses around.
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by deleo16(m): 10:55pm On Jun 13, 2018
Just2endowed2:
Now a days, Banks are not allowed to fold up. To brink sanity and protection of deposit funds, Govt buy the liabilities of the bank or simply buy the bank and appoint new directors till books are balance and in turn, the govt sell the bank again.

Era of Bank failure has ended and we are not in the 90s again.

So no pannick

Its just that CBN had made banks to be so lazy that they now depends on deduction from customers saving account to make huge profit and they have abandon the critical sector that need money.
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by debaj10: 12:02am On Jun 14, 2018
flexyrule:
Hmmmmm. who keep money in the bank these days? When there is real estate, forex, cryptocurrency trades and other more profitable businesses around.
the purpose of banks in an industrial economy is to stimulate real sector growth. that's MSMLE's. in a mainly preindustrial economy like ours, with a weak currency and very slow growth, the businesses you mentioned are for the 0.5% of the population.
everyone else is done for when banks crash.
every property built before 2016 lost over 50% of their value.
every company lost the same in 2016 with the devaluation.

the solution to all this nonsense is for the CBN to penalise banks who fail to increase their SME loan books each month and reward those who do; engage in partnerships with banks of industrialized economies to train our bankers on effective loan processes; connecting with the unbanked through effective mobile money.
While govt suspends duties on machinery imports, gives land grants and focuses on the power and agric sectors-
power:
massive importation of renewable energy production lines; massive IPP for rural electrification; multilateral biogas facility development; longterm state/national gas pipeline projects.

agric:
value chain development; export promotion for micro-enterprises and smallholder farmers; storage, transportation and processing facilities development; govt buyback guarantee for all value chain products.

who go tell dem?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by aujile(m): 12:59am On Jun 14, 2018
enemyofprogress:

No...it is a soap for a young man to marry a door...Apari
Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by prince13: 3:53am On Jun 14, 2018
Truth be told,we have a CBN governor who is a weakling and a banker who also benefits from the ruts and corruption eating up the banking subsector.
Charles Soludo and Sanusi Lamido sanitized the banking sub-sector during their tenure,what we have there right now is a round peg in a square hole and it beats my imagination why Buhari has not dim it fit to replace this man these while.

Intrepid01:
THE possibility of yet another round of systemic failure in the banking industry, raised recently by the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation, calls for quick, concerted pre-emptive action. The revelation by Umaru Ibrahim, managing director of the NDIC, that weak corporate governance and internal controls were tipping the financial sector towards crisis conflated with a similar alarm raised by the International Monetary Fund anchored on weak regulation and adverse operating conditions. With the economy falling short of growth projections, urgent, extraordinary measures should be adopted today to prevent a catastrophe.

Umaru could not mask his apprehension in an address presented on his behalf at the FITC discussion programme in Lagos: despite stringent and elaborate rules, weak corporate governance culture had rebounded in the banking system and, along with ineffectual controls, presented regulators with the possibility of bank failures. For regulators, he said the fear had prompted moves to conduct tests and moves to stave off adversity.

Earlier in March and April this year, the IMF had issued concerns over Nigeria’s continued vulnerability to shocks amid a slow exit from recession, rising debts and its ability to withstand the aftershocks of another global meltdown predicted by leading experts.

Ibrahim’s alert confirmed the long-running fears of systemic upheaval in the banking sector, which barely survived the shocks of 2007-2009 and only after a decisive intervention by the leadership of the Central Bank of Nigeria that prevented failure. The IMF has identified weak regulation as a critical factor in the last few years. In what some see as self-indictment, Godwin Emefiele, the CBN Governor, recently took to warning the deposit money banks of sanctions for round tripping and other sharp practices in the foreign exchange market. The recourse to sermons and warnings demonstrates the crisis of regulation that has for long plagued the country’s financial system. The CBN is armed with enough legal powers to monitor and sanction abuses and misdemeanours by bankers. Lamido Sanusi, as governor (2008 to 2014), proved this when, after stress tests, the central bank removed the boards and managements of eight banks, appointed interim replacements that nursed them until they recovered and were bought by new investors. Sanusi also identified gross insider abuse by directors and managers for the crisis.

Apparently, as the CBN itself has acknowledged, insider abuse is back; sharp practices in the forex market partly blamed for the collapse of 44 banks between 1994 and 2000; money laundering and violation for reporting regulations, as well as false accounting have taken hold in the DMBs.

Can Emefiele prevent systemic distress? Doing so requires, above all else, courage and astuteness. It was the frequent recourse to the CBN’s overnight lending window that alerted Sanusi to the stress in some banks in 2009. In 2017, the bank said, 60 per cent of the average daily N216.34 billion the DMBs borrowed from its Standing Lending Facility was for Intra-Day Lending Facility.

Reports, evidence and testimonies in corruption trials have detailed how regulations and anti-money laundering laws were brazenly violated by bankers to assist high profile public figures loot and hide public funds. These disclosures should have prompted audits, fines and, where necessary, severe sanctions on complicit banks, directors and managers, some of whom have testified to their involvement in court.

The CBN needs to act fast as most Nigerian banks, post-consolidation, are big and a failing one could pull down others. While inefficient banks may go bust in good times without threatening the entire system, an economy that grew only 1.9 per cent in the first quarter of this year, just two quarters separated from a recession, suffered nine million job losses in three years and, with youth unemployment of over 20 per cent, should avoid systemic bank failure. This principle was applied during the 2007/8 meltdown when the United States Treasury gave an initial $700 billion to save some big banks, Italy €17 billion and Britain £500 billion.

The CBN and NDIC should immediately undertake full audits and examinations of the banks; there should be no hesitation to use their considerable powers to remove errant boards and executives. Fraud cases rose by 56.3 per cent in 2017, according to the NDIC, while the CBN stress tests in the same year found rising cases of insider abuse with directors accounting for 40 per cent of the N2.4 trillion non-performing loans in the industry. Emefiele’s CBN should explain why such directors are still in the system and why banks have persistently exceeded the specified five per cent NPLs ratio without serious sanctions. Elsewhere, Germany’s Deutshe Bank was slammed $14 billion by regulators in the US and Europe; by early this year, the world’s top 20 banks, according to a Guardian of London report, had been hit with £252 billion in fines and penalties combined over five years for various violations.

The top priority is to protect customers: the CBN should be proactive and reform itself for efficient monitoring in real time, applying the latest technology tools to weed out corrupt officials that collude with errant bankers. It should wield the big stick and avoid favouritism.

Our banks are not fulfilling the critical role of financial intermediation partly because the operating environment is dominated by government funds, which fuel corruption, rent-taking and rule-breaking while squeezing out the private sector. The government should take the sensible approach of rolling out practical, sustainable policies of privatisation, liberalisation and export promotion to stimulate start-ups, SMEs and massive investment in agriculture, construction, transportation – rail, water and aviation – as well as mining and manufacturing. The financial system will become more efficient when DMBs rely more on private sector funds and less on public sector funds and forex, two toxic streams that have derailed banks from their traditional roles in Nigeria.

http://punchng.com/nigeria-cant-afford-another-bank-distress/

Re: NDIC Raises Alarm On Impending Loom In The Banking Sector!!! by Intrepid01(m): 5:38pm On Mar 04, 2021
Hello Lekiboboe, I am planning to apply for study visa very soon. I have my written SOP and would like you to help me vet it for your opinion on what I could do better. I would appreciate if you can be of assistance. Thank you so much.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

STORAGE/HOARDING Bussiness Of Agriculture / CBN Disburses Smaller Naira Notes To Traders To End Scarcity / I&E Window Records $53.02m Turnover After CBN Lifts Forex Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.