Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 (219064 Views)

Musa! Man Of The Match - Nigerian Vs Iceland (World Cup 2018) / Messi Vs Iceland: Caption These Photos Of Iceland Players Marking Messi / Argentina Vs Iceland: World Cup 2018 (1 - 1) - Full Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (126) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by phreakabit(m): 11:59am On Jun 19, 2018
Ximenez:
Mikel is not an attacking Midfielder. Etebo should take that position, because he's more energetic and fast and always love to advance with the ball. Let Mikel come back to 4, his sluggishness and tendency to make backward passes won't be of much disadvantage there.

Have you watched Etebo PASS?
Go and dig up his videos from when Samson Siasia discovered him and invited him to CHAN and then SE.
He is more of a goal getting box to box. His passing is TERRIBLE! he over emphasizes the pass, most times over hitting it.
He is a great forceful, combative player, but he is definitely not a CAM.
Who do you expect will coordinate the midfield? We don't have any other CAM!!!!
Iwobi is too fast, light weight and best used as a support striker due to his goal intelligence.
No other person in the team has the composure deft touch of the ball that Mikel possesses.
Mikel's only down side is his speed.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Ximenez(m): 12:12pm On Jun 19, 2018
phreakabit:

Have you watched Etebo PASS?
Go and dig up his videos from when Samson Siasia discovered him and invited him to CHAN and then SE.
He is more of a goal getting box to box. His passing is TERRIBLE! he over emphasizes the pass, most times over hitting it.
He is a great forceful, combative player, but he is definitely not a CAM.
Who do you expect will coordinate the midfield? We don't have any other CAM!!!!
Iwobi is too fast, light weight and best used as a support striker due to his goal intelligence.
No other person in the team has the composure deft touch of the ball that Mikel possesses.
Mikel's only down side is his speed.
When you play someone like Mikel in that position, then the team will suffer like they suffered against Croatia. Not only that he doesn't score, he doesn't even make any attempt to score/shoot at all. I still prefer Etebo to Mikel in that position. Etebo even drew fouls from the Croats from his deep lying position.

If Ighalo is your lone striker and Mikel is your AMF, both of which are winding down their careers in China, then you shouldn't be surprised that the team is not succeeding.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Funlag: 12:13pm On Jun 19, 2018
sisipelebe:
Nigeria 3-Iceland 1
reverse will be the case...we won't only hug for this game but kiss and f*ck grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by phreakabit(m): 12:28pm On Jun 19, 2018
Ximenez:
When you play someone like Mikel in that position, then the team will suffer like they suffered against Croatia. Not only that he doesn't score, he doesn't even make any attempt to score/shoot at all. I still prefer Etebo to Mikel in that position. Etebo even drew fouls from the Croats from his deep lying position.

If Ighalo is your lone striker and Mikel is your AMF, both of which are winding down their careers in China, then you shouldn't be surprised that the team is not succeeding.

We suffered like EVERY football pundit said, because of poor tactics and formation, not because of Mikel.
If you go back and watch an analysis of the game. You'd notice the errors i am going to list below.

1, Players were too far from each others = Too much space for Croatia = Gaps to spring passes

2, Mikel and Ighalo were far away from the others in the team, almost isolated. Mikel had to drop deep in the second half.

3, Croatia had triangle positioning ( A MUST in modern football), our positioning was flat.

4, Our defense line sat too deep, even though it was obvious Croatia were siting deep too. We could have easily played a high line and pressed them HARD in their own half.

As for Mikel, he was the one who played in the CAM role through out qualifiers and had the most assists, so what changed?... A midfielder's priority isn't goal scoring btw. Also, Rohr made a mistake in bringing 4 defensive midfielders while dropping Nwakali who would have been the only natural CAM in the team. Iwobi can play there, but he has never played in that position constantly as he is usually played on the wings. The CAM role is his 3rd choice role. I don't know why we would play Ighalo as a lone striker, that is probably the worst idea anyone would ever have. Lets face it he is slow now due to age and can only bank on strength and experience. He is more of a poacher now.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Kamal786(m): 12:33pm On Jun 19, 2018
All the Best
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by francis2565(m): 12:34pm On Jun 19, 2018
Arsenalholic:
Two things that are very glaring in this current Eagles set up:

1. Inability to defend set pieces properly (na this problem make me tire for Arsenal under Arsene. W). Against England, Serbia, & Czech we conceded from set plays or crosses into the box. So why the f*ck are they not working on this?

With tall players in that defense like Balogun and Troost, we should be imposing at set plays, but the opposite is the case. It frustrates the hell outta moi.

Iceland are a mean bunch when it comes to crosses and set pieces. As a matter of fact, it's their ace move. That spells a lot of trouble for the Eagles. Unless we limit their opportunities to fling crosses and even long throws into the box.

2. We are not creating many chances: Another big problem that was glaring even during the friendlies. Who is our most creative player? Is it Mikel, Moses or Iwobi?

We can't even say.

Each team possesses a clear-cut creator-in-chief. But not Nigeria.

Moses is looking to pick up that role but his crosses are too wayward and Ighalo isn't even imposing in the air so no point sending those crosses in.

Iwobi would have been the best choice because he has immense control in tight spaces, has pace, can beat a man comfortably and more importantly can pick a key pass.

But the problem is that he can't do all that playing from the wings. I watched him play for Arsenal against Crystal Palace on January 1st 2017. He played in that '10' role in the absence of Mr. Ozil. And boy was he good!

We saw against England that the dude is more comfortable dictating play from the midfield.

However, Rorh won't let him take that role for Nigeria because of a certain Mikel Obi. These days Mikel doesn't create anything. So why not send him to the base of midfield alongside Ndidi?

Actually, I wouldn't drop Etebo for him. I'd prefer a midfield trio of Iwobi, Etebo and Ndidi (this midfield trio has vritually everything you need). Then up front I'll have Moses, Ighalo and Iheanacho (on the right) as my forward line.

I don't see Grenot Rorh having the balls to make these calls, though. And so I see us struggling badly against Iceland.

However, I still hope they find a way to win because it's what we all want. #SoarSuperEagles.

We have been clamoring for this same formation but Roh Will not dare drop Mikel when we beat Argentina this was exactly what we used Mikel was not on the pitch
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by dumininu01(m): 12:37pm On Jun 19, 2018
mhizenugu:
Nigeria 2 Iceland 1. Correct score tongue
huh.. dis Nigeria team angry
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by dumininu01(m): 12:39pm On Jun 19, 2018
Kaziar:
The Super eagles have always been an unpredictable team; losing against sides you wouldn't expect them to and winning against sides you expect them to.
we expected them to lose to croatia and dey did not prove us wrong
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by JastSiryin(m): 1:03pm On Jun 19, 2018
Mtcheew! With the way we played the last match, I'm betting we'd make this otherwise defensively set Icelanders look like they were Brazilian samba boys. Place your hopes at your own peril.
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Kaziar: 1:03pm On Jun 19, 2018
dumininu01:
we expected them to lose to croatia and dey did not prove us wrong
Well, a lot of people did not.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by OmoDavido(m): 1:17pm On Jun 19, 2018
mhizcassidy001:
na so my nigga
Yes Bae.
How is your day going
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by mhizcassidy001(f): 1:19pm On Jun 19, 2018
SPLENDID
OmoDavido:

Yes Bae.

How is your day going
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Arsenalholic(m): 1:52pm On Jun 19, 2018
francis2565:

We have been clamoring for this same formation but Roh Will not dare drop Mikel when we beat Argentina this was exactly what we used Mikel was not on the pitch
Favoritism will continue to kill our football.
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Arsenalholic(m): 1:59pm On Jun 19, 2018
obc:
Well said bro. The most annoying par is supplying of high upfront with little no attempt by Ighalo. Whatever happens to playing through the flanks, I dunno. They should stop this high balls mentality against the Iceland team. Its not paying at all. They played same thing against England and their last match before the worldcup proper. Mikel is guilty of this high ball mentality even when opponents are taller than our lone striker Ighalo.
The Icelandic players will win almost every aerial ball if Eagles try to use that tactics.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by ictCT2UMS: 2:22pm On Jun 19, 2018
Your friends are making more sales. Are you

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by IAmAmbrose(m): 2:45pm On Jun 19, 2018
Against Tunisia it was from a corner, Against Morocco it was a corner, Against Nigeria it was a corner, Against Egypt that freekick was from a corner... Do you now see the effect of that yeye one corner dance brought to Africa
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by incredible47: 3:33pm On Jun 19, 2018
i want the trio of onazi,mikeland Joel obi in midfield...
drop ighalo for simy flank by Moses and musa.
i strongly believe we will win.
GO EAGLES
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by MyOpinion1(f): 4:04pm On Jun 19, 2018
Abeg we need players with zeal and enthusiasm not the like of Mikel that has overfeed himself both financially and womenitarially abeg and Abeg. Please let them find a replacement for him abeg else this next match nah *winning* I see oo

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by ampiclus(m): 5:31pm On Jun 19, 2018
They will never win since they don't want us(Biafra) to go. Chukwu okike abiama di aware.
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Mydazz(m): 7:32pm On Jun 19, 2018
I'm good with aby arrangement that places Iwobi at 10 and Ihenancho as one of the strikers, and Mikel as Defensive midfielder
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Itsagoal: 10:49pm On Jun 19, 2018
Communication gap! So long as we de talk for this game, our boys will overcome the Icy boys.
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by Itsagoal: 10:50pm On Jun 19, 2018
Why bring Simi to camp and not use him? Taller than Ighalo for sure.
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by hollandis(f): 12:34am On Jun 20, 2018
phreakabit:

We suffered like EVERY football pundit said, because of poor tactics and formation, not because of Mikel.
If you go back and watch an analysis of the game. You'd notice the errors i am going to list below.

1, Players were too far from each others = Too much space for Croatia = Gaps to spring passes

2, Mikel and Ighalo were far away from the others in the team, almost isolated. Mikel had to drop deep in the second half.

3, Croatia had triangle positioning ( A MUST in modern football), our positioning was flat.

4, Our defense line sat too deep, even though it was obvious Croatia were siting deep too. We could have easily played a high line and pressed them HARD in their own half.

As for Mikel, he was the one who played in the CAM role through out qualifiers and had the most assists, so what changed?... A midfielder's priority isn't goal scoring btw. Also, Rohr made a mistake in bringing 4 defensive midfielders while dropping Nwakali who would have been the only natural CAM in the team. Iwobi can play there, but he has never played in that position constantly as he is usually played on the wings. The CAM role is his 3rd choice role. I don't know why we would play Ighalo as a lone striker, that is probably the worst idea anyone would ever have. Lets face it he is slow now due to age and can only bank on strength and experience. He is more of a poacher now.
phreakabit:

Did Mikel pay you for this ?
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by mechanics(m): 4:58am On Jun 20, 2018
I hope, we will win?
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by phreakabit(m): 6:00am On Jun 20, 2018
hollandis:

Did Mikel pay you for this ?

No, but does he owe you money ?
A team of 11 players and you want to blame 1 player for the coaches tactical blunder? Please tell me have you rewatched the match? A general rule is to always rewatch the match when your nerves are calm to properly analyse the game. Who was Mikel suppose to pass to? Ighalo? Did he or did he not pass to Ighalo who always lost possession as a LONE striker. Or Victor Moses, who was more concerned with feeling the texture of the grass on his face? So why blame Mikel, when Leon Balogun was just as bad also and Ndidi hardly got a tackle in? The only good players that day were Iwobi and Etebo, Ekong to a certain degree. As I stated before, show me a player who has the composure, ball control, physical balance, and ball passing ability in the team who you think can bench Mikel, the closest thing we have is Iwobi and he lacks greatly in physicality and composure( you might not have noticed, but there is a hastiness about his play).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by oweman: 7:40am On Jun 20, 2018
[quote author=lilfreezy post=68456001]iceland go beat us. argentina go beat us. when we come down for plane, rain go beat us. hungry go beat us. buhari go beat us. sars go beat us.

when will jesus come abeg?[

You are probably a biafrog awaiting Donald Trump to come swear in Nnamdi Kanu as biafra president .
idiot .
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by nnonso1: 9:12am On Jun 20, 2018
We need to wake up
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by banqalee(m): 9:14am On Jun 20, 2018
Watch out for my score prediction tomorrow.
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by kay5you: 9:16am On Jun 20, 2018
I smell draw soup here
Re: Nigeria Vs Iceland : World Cup (2 - 0) On 22nd June 2018 by danieljoel759: 9:16am On Jun 20, 2018
I'm sure at the end of the match, we will dance like this mom a and her kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqG256cSPg&client=mv-google&gl=NG&hl=en-GB

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (126) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Mexico: FIFA U-17 Semi Final 4 - 2 Full Time! / Nigeria Vs Argentina: World Cup (1 - 2) On 26th June 2018 / Anthony Joshua Vs Andy Ruiz Jr. II - Rematch (Live Updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.