Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,706 members, 7,827,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize (5349 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Celebrates Her 46th Birthday Today / Between Nnedi Okorafor & Upcoming Author She Told 'Talk Is Cheap' / Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Nnedi Okorafor, Nominated For Nobel Prize (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Mcking11(m): 12:16pm On Jun 13, 2018
Nnedi Okorafor’s novel, THE BOOK OF PHOENIX, has won
Kurd Laßwitz Prize for Best Foreign Science-Fiction Book
(translated into German).
The award is given for works written in or translated into
the German language and published during the previous
year. The Kurd-LaßwitzPrize is probably and possibly the
best-known science fiction award from Germany.
The award is named after the Science Fiction German
author Kurd Laßwitz and was first awarded in 1981. Kurd
Laßwitz is recognised in Germany as the ”the father of
German Science-fiction.”
The awards will be presented September 22 at ElsterCon
in Leipzig, Germany.
It was an inestimable happiness for the Nigerian writer of
fantasy and science fiction for both children and adults as
she expressed her feelings on her facebook timeline:
”Just learned that my novel The Book of Phoenix won the
Kurd Laßwitz Prize [one of Germany’s biggest science
fiction prizes] for Best Foreign Science Fiction Book.
Wunderbar! Brief description of THE BOOK OF PHOENIX:
A genetically-engineered African woman destroys her
prison.”

www.naijxclusive.com/nnedi-okorafor-wins-kurd-laswitz-prize/

4 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 13, 2018
Igbo Amaka!

Igbo people and Literature/Art.
From time of Achebe, down to Chimamanda, as she's ageing, hundreds more are lining up to take up the Achebe-ic gene. Congrats to her.

I envy Igbo people and I'm proudly Yoruba.

53 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Mcking11(m): 1:35pm On Jun 13, 2018
Wow! We have great Yoruba writers too taking the bull by the horn. Teju Cole, Tope Folarin and host of others.

2 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by akeentech(m): 6:57am On Jun 14, 2018
Mcking11:
Wow! We have great Yoruba writers too taking the bull by the horn. Teju Cole, Tope Folarin and host of others.

I want to marry an Igbo girl

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:57am On Jun 14, 2018
Thanks for making the country PROUD!

3 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:58am On Jun 14, 2018
Mcking11:
SAY NO TO TRIBALISM!

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by EweduAfonja(f): 6:58am On Jun 14, 2018
let the war begin
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by CHAIRMAN1(m): 6:59am On Jun 14, 2018
Na only Igbo deyangry angry
Proudly CRS

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Bullhari007(m): 7:00am On Jun 14, 2018
ewedu & Amala eaten donkeys will not sleep today... hehehehehehe Igbo Amaka

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by meobizy(f): 7:00am On Jun 14, 2018
Look at our Nigerian writers steady getting appreciated in countries where reading is a culture. I shudder to think of what would have happened to her and Chimamanda if they never ventured out of their country of origin.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Mutemenot(m): 7:01am On Jun 14, 2018
Mcking11:

appreciate them first na angry we know say Tope, Teju and co na writer but no be them win dis one

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Abjay97(m): 7:03am On Jun 14, 2018
Igbo Amaka

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by meobizy(f): 7:04am On Jun 14, 2018
osas3068:
call or whatsapp the below
if interested
Look at what this donkey is promoting on an intellectual thread. No wonder you guys get repeatedly banned.
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by israelmao(m): 7:07am On Jun 14, 2018
I am a Nigerian and I am proud about it.Politicians have made most Nigerians clannish.

2 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by hilroy: 7:10am On Jun 14, 2018
If you read through Nairaland threads, you will understand why Nigeria is where she is. We have a lot of intellectual handicapped individuals. Every single thread is tribalized or filled with senseless comments. Our youths are massively brain drained and I find it difficult to know why. It is quite pathetic, and with what I'm seeing we have a damn long way to go.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by kasmilla(m): 7:14am On Jun 14, 2018
as for folks that are always annoyed when we write IGBO AMAKA. IGBO AMAKA
IGBO AMAKA
IGBO AMAKA
IGBO IGBO AMAKA
IGBO AMAKA. if it pains u, jump into the lagoon.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Nobody: 7:14am On Jun 14, 2018
Awesome! What more can I say? Igbo Amaka Nma!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by dammiecool(m): 7:15am On Jun 14, 2018
hilroy:
If you read through Nairaland threads, you will understand why Nigeria is where she is. We have a lot of intellectual handicapped individuals. Every single thread is tribalized or filled with senseless comments. Our youths are massively brain drained and I find it difficult to know why. It is quite pathetic, and with what I'm seeing we have a damn long way to go.
Very very correct

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by arinze3131(m): 7:17am On Jun 14, 2018
Igbo amaka!!!

7 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by resurgent2019: 7:17am On Jun 14, 2018
Congrats to the writer.

We need more of her type in Nigeria.
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by salt1: 7:20am On Jun 14, 2018
Looks like some gifts are genetic.

Yorubas are making waves in entertainment industry especially Music.
Igbos are good at storytelling via literature and Nollywood.

We have so much talent in Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by NaijaMutant(f): 7:22am On Jun 14, 2018
Mcking11:

They have turned the thing to competition o grin

Igbos are high flyers cool

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by Luukasz(m): 7:22am On Jun 14, 2018
salt1:
Looks like some gifts are genetic.

Yorubas are making waves in entertainment industry especially Music.
Igbos are good at storytelling via literature and Nollywood.

We have so much talent in Nigeria

Yet none of them have won the Nobel Leaurate

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by resurgent2019: 7:24am On Jun 14, 2018
Luukasz:

Envy Igbo people like seriously... it means you also envy their drug peddling activities. grin
Drug peddling Amaka!
Prostitution Amaka
Potopoto Amaka!!
Igbo Amaka!
Igbo kwenu!

Don’t mind that simpleton. I don’t know why he had to lie that he is yoruba.

We all know he is igbo.

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize by resurgent2019: 7:27am On Jun 14, 2018
SAY NO TO TRIBALISM.

We should all congratulate the winner as an exemplary youth of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crystal Of Astrel / First Middle-grade Mystery/detective Novel Series By An African Writer / Vampire Tale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.