Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,937 members, 7,814,173 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries (1972 Views)

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Distress sales!!Used Volkswagen Bora For Quick Sale nw 220k / 2001 Volkswagen Bora - Tokunbo - Very Low Price / Volkswagen Bora And Passat For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Sylvan(m): 4:28pm On Jun 02, 2010
Guys, I got a volkswagen Bora on my hands. I had to change the brainbox. I want to know if it will need any programming before it works. My mechanic said I'll have to program it, but another mechanic said no.  undecided
I have to know, so i don't get ripped off.
Then again, what's the going price for a fairly used VW Bora? 2003, abt 70000 mileage, just in case I want to dispose of it.
Thanks.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Onwan: 8:50pm On Jun 02, 2010
I guess its too late to ask why you had to change it in the first place. The VW might have only needed an ECU (Brainbox) Reset in the first place.

For 2000 and later models of those vehicles, the new brainbox will have to learn the vehicle's operations all over again (which is what the programming is all about). For some vehicles, the new ECU will have to learn everything down to headlamps on/off, wipers, sunroof operations, etc.

If you were a DIY person (basically a car enthusiast), you could get on a forum for owners of that model, research on the methods and do the thing yourself (They dont all require special tools) BUT as it is, you will need to let those guys do the "programming" and get them paid AFTER and IF IT WORKS.

Cheers
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jun 02, 2010
The most important issue with a replacement ECU (if it's a used one) is the immobiliser. The early Bora was IMMO 2, later ones are IMMO 3. They are tied to the transponder key, as well as the instrument cluster. If the codes don't match, the car will start, and die immediately.

Worth noting some models from the United States didn't have immobilisers till quite late, but as your car's a Bora, rather than a Jetta, it's safe to assume it's from Europe, so it will have an immobiliser.

Some questions that I need to ask:

1) What year is your car?
2) What engine is in your car?
3) What year is the replacement ECU from, and what engine did it control?
4) Why was the ECU replaced in the first place?

If you can post the ECU part number on here, I can tell you if it has an immobiliser that'll need to be coded to your car.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 02, 2010
Your engine ECU won't need to learn anything with regards to your wipers, headlamps, sunroof etc. There's a seperate ECU (convenience module) that takes care of all the above.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Onwan: 10:59pm On Jun 02, 2010
The issue is that one does not know what module was paid for and what was changed.

I still advise he pays after they are done with the programming AND IF it works. Most vehicles however, like mine (A mercedes Benz) on ECU replacement or reset requires a complete learning of all the functions on the vehicle like wipers, headlamps, sunroof, windows winding, memory seats, error codes, etcwhich in some quarters can be referred to as re-programming.

Would have preferred him sharing the problems before buying the new ECU.

@Siena
You should also understand that if there is another module; then that module is either ancilliary to the main ECU or depends on data from the ECU for its operations. The nature of the problems OR the tampering already done could have wiped whatever data is on the "convenience" module.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Onwan: 11:11pm On Jun 02, 2010
Out of curiousity, I just checked for Audi/VW problems with factory set modules and ECU setup and found that the "convenience" module gets more problematic than the main ECU itself.

If those guys dont get it working AND the OP is not ready to do some research on his Bora, then I guess he will have to visit one of these dealerships in VI for a complete overhaul and appropriate parts change. That will cost him a bit though.

People just need to be interested in the vehicles they drive enough to work it.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by mrofficial(m): 1:26pm On Jun 03, 2010
Mehn, I don't get all the replies, for all I know is that you have to program it to the new brain box man. I had the experience too.

You can download the software if you have a laptop and the cable.

Another thing is that, do you know about the software?

Link to download: http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/

If you can't, then them go chop money be that. When it happened to me, the guy that programmed it collected 16k.

It didn't take him much time. I was like, mehn, 16k is gone.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Onwan: 1:52pm On Jun 03, 2010
@mr.official
Thanks for that help. Probably, the OP can hook up with you to let your man help him out.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Sylvan(m): 2:46pm On Jun 03, 2010
wink
Wow, thanks guys for the response.

Details: The car is actually a write-off from a company pool I was lucky to get from the company (its about 7years old, and properly maintained, just being phased out). But when it came, the brainbox, and a number of other stuff were missing (as well as a 'sensor' in the main key).
As a result, I had to pay to buy the missing parts, plus the brainbox, which the mechanic said has to be programmed to match the keys.

@Siena, I'll get the number on the new brainbox asap.
I'm a DIY person, but I just don't want to dabble into these things yet. The issue is that I need to know what the mechanics are doing, u know as Naija be now!
So, I see mr.official mentioned 16k for reprogramming, thanks, at least i have an idea of what it cost. smiley

I've seen a thread talking about the pros and cons of a Bora, but I need one or two more bits of information: what's the average second-hand value of this car? Also, how much would the key sensor likely cost? Would be glad if anyone can tell me, just a ballpark figure.

Thanks a bunch, you guys are d bomb.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by Onwan: 5:19pm On Jun 03, 2010
Sylvan:

wink
Wow, thanks guys for the response.

Details: The car is actually a write-off from a company pool I was lucky to get from the company (its about 7years old, and properly maintained, just being phased out). But when it came, the brainbox, and a number of other stuff were missing (as well as a 'sensor' in the main key).
As a result, I had to pay to buy the missing parts, plus the brainbox, which the mechanic said has to be programmed to match the keys.

@Siena, I'll get the number on the new brainbox asap.
I'm a DIY person, but I just don't want to dabble into these things yet. The issue is that I need to know what the mechanics are doing, u know as Naija be now!
So, I see mr.official mentioned 16k for reprogramming, thanks, at least i have an idea of what it cost. smiley

I've seen a thread talking about the pros and cons of a Bora, but I need one or two more bits of information: what's the average second-hand value of this car? Also, how much would the key sensor likely cost? Would be glad if anyone can tell me, just a ballpark figure.

Thanks a bunch, you guys are d bomb.

@Sylvan
This means you bought the vehicle with the electronics missing - That makes very good sense now. I think your best right now is to get the items removed and have them programmed to match/work with the transponder (the key). There is a guy on nairaland.com that advertises the keys with transponders - not just the empty shell.
Re: Sos: Volkswagen Bora Enquiries by lexluthor2(m): 3:43am On Jun 10, 2010
good day fellas,this thread is worth streching.please what exactly are the pros n cons of the bora and jetta.the only con i know it the gear wahala.

(1) (Reply)

. / Bmw X5 Tokunbo / Sparkling 2005 Honda Accord(navigation System) 4sale @ Cheap Price N1.270m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.