Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,127 members, 7,825,532 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola (45857 Views)

Throwback Photo Of MKO Abiola And Kudirat Inspecting A Building Project / Throwback Pictures Of MKO Abiola During June 12 / Throwback Photo Of MKO Abiola And Obasanjo In Secondary School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Hellenasa: 9:08pm On Jun 13, 2018
Anigreat:
shocked

No matter how wide/big a vagina is, it cannot service itself, its the penis that will do justice to it, by slapping the swollen clitoris .

Abiola 1994

Its only one foul smell i can endure, and that's the oozing smell from the vagina

Abiola 1991, not proverb sha but a quote. most noted quote of all time.

OP, this your Proverb get as e be ooh grin grin grin
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 13, 2018
Funnicator:
You people have started again?!

See them trying too hard to paint good, the very same Abiolo who hobnobbed with his military friends and financially sponsored IBB coup.

If you seek men to idolize, certainly not one who was so brash, immature, emotional, careless and childish to declare himself President without receiving an ordinary certificate of return from the National Electoral Council.

If he were an honorable man, he would never let emotions take the best of him to declare himself President, as for me. He is never a role model and serves him right because he dined and laughed with the same military he sponsored, only to turn around and be betrayed.

The Yorubas say "when eating with an enemy, use long spoon", can he be a wise leader as to be so careless, reckless and funding military coups? Certainly not.

In the end, he was never a president of Federal Republic of Nigeria.

#proudlyYoruba.

Mr Yoruba man writing Abiolo

Continue to log in with different accounts to claim what you are not

Continue to cook up stories about a dead man that cannot defend himself because of hatred

Don't forget we all die one day and judgment awaits us. So be rest assured that Karma is always a bitch
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jun 13, 2018
You can not urinate on my back and tell me that its raining........ MKO Abiola said this in 2003 in d grave
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Alajiki(m): 9:15pm On Jun 13, 2018
LochOtieno:
I wonder how all these trash will be called proverbs.

That means in actual sense Abiola is not a sage.

A Flattinho sighted
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Trexnemesis(m): 9:16pm On Jun 13, 2018
Chukazu:
Some of the proverbs are Chinua Achebe's proverbs...

The ones about Cocoanut and shaving of head .

Lier! Very old proverb in yorubaland
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Trexnemesis(m): 9:18pm On Jun 13, 2018
MKO on the need for privatisation to stop looting:

WHAT BELONGS TO EVERYBODY, BELONGS TO NOBODY.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 9:21pm On Jun 13, 2018
kyjuan99:

Una dy look b4 una yarn so
Hw wee abiola who was no president use a military abacha was in charge of against ABACHA ffs?
That he stupidly backed coups never brought him into their inner caucus
He was just a tool and was used and dumped accordingly
Heck ibb even said he would have made a lousy president

I dont like discussing with ignorant people.
Go and read You Must Set Forth At Dawn. In meetings in London, WS reports that many politicians and military men, serving and retired, wanted to start an armed campaign.
In an interview he granted before he was arrested and died, Shehu YarAdua boasted that if he had Abiola's mandate he would never negotiate with the military.
Last point. Abiola's history is not at issue here. On June 12 1993, Nigerians moved beyond that.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jun 13, 2018
Alajiki:

A Flattinho sighted
ok.....on sophisticated....complete it.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by hsafarms: 9:39pm On Jun 13, 2018
Anigreat:
shocked

No matter how wide/big a vagina is, it cannot service itself, its the penis that will do justice to it, by slapping the swollen clitoris .

Abiola 1994

Its only one foul smell i can endure, and that's the oozing smell from the vagina

Why not try and be yourself...

Stop being like NWAMAIKPE...

You are not making any sense at all
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by hsafarms: 9:41pm On Jun 13, 2018
HE WHO MAKES HIS LAW A CURSE, BY HIS OWN LAW SHALL HE SURELY DIE
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jun 13, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

I dont like discussing with ignorant people.
Go and read You Must Set Forth At Dawn. In meetings in London, WS reports that many politicians and military men, serving and retired, wanted to start an armed campaign.
In an interview he granted before he was arrested and died, Shehu YarAdua boasted that if he had Abiola's mandate he would never negotiate with the military.
Last point. Abiola's history is not at issue here. On June 12 1993, Nigerians moved beyond that.
shehu yaradua was a former military vice president and had both military and civilian loyalists
Why do u tink ibb barred him from contesting and abacha jailed him?
Abiola was only friends with the coup boys who never regarded him and to top it all abacha and ibb already had an agreement to swap power
Why do u tink abacha was called the khalifa?

1 Like

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by JoBabs(m): 10:01pm On Jun 13, 2018
naptu2:
Do you remember any of Chief M.K.O Abiola's other proverbs? Please post them here.

No matter how big the pregnancy of a rat, it can't give birth to an elephant...
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by FEGNO: 10:08pm On Jun 13, 2018
ON WHY HE FLED THE COUNTRY SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT ALERTING HIS FOLLOWERS ABIOLA REPLIED JOURNALISTS BY SAYING " A BIRD DOES NOT TELL ANOTHER BIRD THAT A STONE IS COMING"
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Tijay90(m): 10:35pm On Jun 13, 2018
Best president Nigeria never had... #ITT
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 13, 2018
one of his deepest adage to ibb goes thus...

"WITH A FRIEND LIKE YOU,

ONE DOES NOT NEED AN ENEMY"

........a word is enough.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by basic23111: 10:39pm On Jun 13, 2018
Money Owo Kudi....RIP
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Kingpee2(m): 11:17pm On Jun 13, 2018
LochOtieno:
I wonder how all these trash will be called proverbs.

That means in actual sense Abiola is not a sage.
your existence has actually amounted to nothing ,did you not hear of the history of June 12?you called those proverbs trash,which one have you ever thought of ?
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by redangel2017: 11:20pm On Jun 13, 2018
Ishilove:

Yes darling. Here are two:

I guess abiola didn't knw what alomo is then
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Coldfeets: 11:31pm On Jun 13, 2018
Anigreat:
shocked

Abiola 1994

Chai grin grin

1 Like

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by ChiefSweetus: 12:02am On Jun 14, 2018
I was reading this thread

I got to this point He gave an example of a time when Abiola Babes had to represent Nigeria in either Zaire or Equatorial Guinea (I can’t remember which)

I paused

I smiled

I went to confirm OP

I smiled again

Your biggest fan remains loyal, Don naptu. I love you fiercely! HistoryLegend

1 Like

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by naptu2: 12:57am On Jun 14, 2018
PassingShot:

When upon his return from the brief exile following June 12 annulment, he was asked how he managed to escape without alerting anyone. His reply was:

A bird does not tell a fellow bird that stone is on its way.

seunayantokun:
A tree that cannot support you if you lean on it cannot kill if it falls on you.

MKO 1993.

IamaNigerianGuy:

"You do not tell a blind man the rain is falling."

It is notable that the 5th proverb on your list : "you cannot shave my head in my absence" was directed at Tony Anenih (SDP Chairman) and other elements of the SDP leadership who surrendered Abiolas mandate in 1993 and opened talks to the military junta while he was away from Nigeria.
I watched an interview Tony Anenih granted around that time where he stammered out an unconvincing explanation for his actions.
Just wanted to put this out there.

Abiolas great mistake was his unwillingness to use maximum force against the military. YarAdua and Soyika said as much on different occasions

Great post as usual Naptu2. Keep up the good work!

Toosure70:
The hand of giver is always on top - MKO

Trexnemesis:
MKO on the need for privatisation to stop looting:

WHAT BELONGS TO EVERYBODY, BELONGS TO NOBODY.

JoBabs:

No matter how big the pregnancy of a rat, it can't give birth to an elephant...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by naptu2: 12:58am On Jun 14, 2018
ChiefSweetus:
I was reading this thread

I got to this point He gave an example of a time when Abiola Babes had to represent Nigeria in either Zaire or Equatorial Guinea (I can’t remember which)

I paused

I smiled

I went to confirm OP

I smiled again

Your biggest fan remains loyal, Don naptu. I love you fiercely! HistoryLegend

Thank you.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by piagetskinner(m): 1:00am On Jun 14, 2018
APC will do anything to score cheap political point and pity of Nigerians....

because I'm Wondering when abiola suddenly became a saint...Nigerians never learn
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 1:14am On Jun 14, 2018
naptu2:
Chief M.K.O Abiola was a very charismatic speaker. His speeches and interviews were always entertaining and informative.

Sir Naptu2, I am young and do not want to believe hyped stories again after believing in such about Buhari in 2015 and sorely disappointed. If this man was that great as you've painted him, why was Fela not fond of him? I really want to know.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by naptu2: 1:25am On Jun 14, 2018
RoyalPriesthuud:
Sir Naptu2, I am young and do not want to believe hyped stories again after believing in such about Buhari in 2015 and sorely disappointed. If this man was that great as you've painted him, why was Fela not fond of him? I really want to know.

Fela and Abiola had issues because of Decca. Decca was one of the biggest record companies in Nigeria in the 1970s and '80s. Fela was signed to the Decca label. Abiola bought over the company and Fela believed that Abiola was cheating him (not paying him what he was due). That's how their quarrel began.

1 Like

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by naptu2: 1:28am On Jun 14, 2018
RoyalPriesthuud:

I Nearly Beat Up Abiola (MKO) For Sam Amuka Office. He Begin Dey Beg – Fela Anikulapo-Kuti (ITT Story) Part One

“Whaaaaaaaaam! Here I was, in one blow, out in the streets with all my people: about eighty of us! My case in court? It was thrown out, man. They didn’t even hear it. They withdrew all of the bullshit charges against me.

Eventually the courts also threw out my multi-million naira compensation claim. Oh, the corruption of those courts! Those people are such bastards, man. Where to seek justice? Jobless. Homeless. Still in a cast, my body all bandaged. So I told everybody, “OK, motherfuckers, we must all get back to work!” We had to try to get the Shrine moving again ‘cause we didn’t have shit.

All of my equipment, my belongings, they’d all gone up in flames with the house. Not a fuckin’ thing was left. Me, my girls, and the rest of my people slept in my brother Beko’s garage for a while. We still kept our dignity, though, man. We started the Shrine back. I began playing again, with one arm and a leg in a cast. That’s when I composed “Sorrow, Tears and Blood”. We were penniless, man. Then I thought to myself: “Don’t I have money coming to me from Decca or EMI?” We’re now in June-July. … Now, what was this whole thing with Decca? It’s a long story, man.

You see, Decca is a motherfucker, man. Wow! Decca signed with me when I was popular. When they burned my house, Chief  MKO Abiola of ITT took over Decca and drove out Mr Booth, the white man who was managing Decca. The white man wanted me, so they drove him away to London. Then Decca started giving me horrors.

First I must tell you that, before my house was burnt down, Mr Booth had told me I was popular and that Decca wanted to sign me. But that he was afraid ‘cause people were saying I was a hooligan and things like that. They were telling him that I wouldn’t deliver. So he was afraid. When he talked to me though he said he liked me and that he wasn’t afraid of me. But really, underneath he was afraid. So in the contract he put a clause that whoever –Decca, me, or anyone –bleeped the contract up, they would have to pay 250,000 naira. That was what he put in the contract. You see what I mean?”

Penniless as I was, I decided to go to Decca. That first day I took along all my women and our mattresses to the Director’s office. I didn’t take over Decca office right away.

http://www.maziabeidris.com/i-nearly-beat-up-abiola-mko-for-sam-amuka-office-he-begin-beg-fela-anikulapo-kuti-itt-story-part-one/

The (ITT Story) Part Two : “Abiola (MKO) Ke? I Didn’t Even Know The Motherfucker Existed!”- Fela Anikulapo-Kuti

In the first part of the series, Abami narrates in his own carefree way, the situation that led up to his rather humorous encounter with the equally legendary, Chief MKO Abiola, who was then Chairman of Decca Records, Fela’s recording company at the time. 

The story continues from the Alhaji, Pastor, St. Augustine’s mouth………

“Remember, I didn’t have a house ‘cause they’d burnt my house down, right, so I don’t have a place to stay. So we went prepared.

Now MKO Abiola had just put this guy there as Director of Decca. His name is Mr Ogeus, a Dutchman, from Holland. So I meet this Mr Ogeus to tell him to give me my 250,000 Naira for breach of contract, man! “Mr Ogeus,” I said, “if you don’t pay me, I will stay here with you until you do. We don’t have a place to stay, so I brought my mattresses. I’m not going to court. Just give me my money.”

Ogeus went to the police. You see that! I come peacefully and he goes to get the police! The police came. They asked him: “You want to force them out?” “No,” he said. “But I think I should discuss things with Fela.” “OK,” I said. “I agree, we should discuss it.” So we agreed to meet at the police office the following morning. I said, “I agree.” So I left with my wives and mattresses.

We met at the police station the next day and we discussed. The police agreed that their lawyer should investigate the contract, and that they would give their opinion after the investigation. You understand? The police kept the contract for two weeks and the lawyer gave his opinion: breach of contract. So the police promised to bring MKO Abiola to the police station to discuss it.

The first time, he didn’t come. Second time, he came. That was the first day I ever met MKO Abiola. I didn’t even know the man existed. So he comes to the police station and swears on his mother’s life, that he never did anything to me wrongly and that he promises to settle the matter. So we left. One week … two weeks … one month … nothing! OK. Good. So me and my women, we took our mattresses and went to Decca again, for a second time. “Now, where is my money?” I asked Ogeus. “OK, if that is what you want, I’m leaving the office for you,” he answered.

Now, he had a very big sitting-room and thick carpets everywhere, so we laid our mattresses down. Ogeus, the white man, left the office and went to the police station. When he got to the police though, they wouldn’t move ‘cause they’d already been to investigate the matter. So I was”there in Decca office with my women for seven weeks.

It was the Inspector-General of Police himself who got me out. You know how Yusufu got me out? Here I am one night, sleeping at Decca, when police come. Not to arrest me-o! But to take me to see the Inspector General. Yusufu had sent for me in the middle of the night to’ go to his house, man. When I got there, he said: “Fela, you have to leave now.” “Why?” I asked. “Sir, they have to pay me-o. Or else you send your police to batter me if you like.” “Fela, you know I can’t do that.” “Fine. Then, they’ll have to pay.” That’s when he said to me: “Fela, you know they’ve taken me to court now.” I understood then what was happening.

You see, while I was living at Decca office, those motherfuckers had taken me to court. The lawyers, they lie. And the magistrate issued a bench order on me for … “illegal occupation”. Of course, the court didn’t hear my side of the case at all. But the police who knew my side of the story and everything about the matter refused to execute the bench warrant. In court, they said that every time they would go to the premises of Decca to get me out, they couldn’t find me! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! So Decca sued the police in court for not executing the bench warrant. That’s why M.D. Yusufu said to me: “If I go to court, they’ll embarrass me.” “Yes,” I said. “I know that.” After a moment of silence, I said: “OK. Fine. Give me one more week. Let me enjoy one more week, Sir, ‘cause you know I don’t have house any more. At Decca they have big sitting-room and offices with carpet everywhere.”

Yusufu shook his head, with a bit of a smile in his eyes. “OK, stay there one more week.” That’s how I finally left Decca, you know. But people don’t know that Fela had  done his underground work legally, and everything. They think I’m a hooligan who just went into Decca and sat down. But, man, I was the winner, you see. Let me tell you the reason why I always get victorious over people. People think I’m mad, but I don’t do things rashly. People think I do things rashly because at the point when I’m gonna do action, those who do not know what’s been happening will think I am being rash…….”

Culled from ‘Fela : This Bitch Of A Life'
By Carlos Moore (1982).

http://www.maziabeidris.com/?p=1218

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 1:43am On Jun 14, 2018
naptu2:

Fela and Abiola had issues because of Decca. Decca was one of the biggest record companies in Nigeria in the 1970s and '80s. Fela was signed to the Decca label. Abiola bought over the company and Fela believed that Abiola was cheating him (not paying him what he was due). That's how their quarrel began.
The excerpts you posted still does not explain Fela's criticisms of ITT and Abiola corrupt dealings in the song. Or should one take Fela's words with a grain of salt? I'm stupidly confused. I don't know why we don't write objective histories in this part of the world.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by naptu2: 1:51am On Jun 14, 2018
RoyalPriesthuud:
The excerpts you posted still does not explain Fela's criticisms of ITT and Abiola corrupt dealings in the song. Or should one take Fela's words with a grain of salt? I'm stupidly confused. I don't know why we don't write objective histories in this part of the world.

Those quotes are from Fela's own book and they are his words. From that point onwards both men became enemies and were ready to do anything to discredit each other.

Remember that Fela said that he had not even heard of Abiola before then. That was the reason that they became sworn enemies.
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 2:14am On Jun 14, 2018
naptu2:

Those quotes are from Fela's own book and they are his words. From that point onwards both men became enemies and were ready to do anything to discredit each other.

Remember that Fela said that he had not even heard of Abiola before then. That was the reason that they became sworn enemies.
So Fela lied, just to tarnish another man's image? Meaning Fela is not the man he has been turned into today? I see this pattern repeating over and over again now. The past leaders are about as corrupt, tribalist, nepotistic and inept as current ones, Zik, Awo, MKO, Fela, etc. have their personality polished by those seeking to capitalise on it.
Anyway, I've stopped giving a damn, they were not great, no need looking at some 'glorious past', it's a distraction undecided. I'm looking for those brave enough to dream of a great tomorrow; it's proving difficult...
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by naptu2: 2:37am On Jun 14, 2018
RoyalPriesthuud:
So Fela lied, just to tarnish another man's image? Meaning Fela is not the man he has been turned into today? I see this pattern repeating over and over again now. The past leaders are about as corrupt, tribalist, nepotistic and inept as current ones, Zik, Awo, MKO, Fela, etc. have their personality polished by those seeking to capitalise on it.
Anyway, I've stopped giving a damn, they were not great, no need looking at some 'glorious past', it's a distraction undecided. I'm looking for those brave enough to dream of a great tomorrow; it's proving difficult...

Here's the truth. I lived during the era of most of these people that you mentioned and I saw details of their lives that are not really published in the media today.

The truth is that none of them is a saint and none of them is a devil. They are people like you and they have their good points and their flaws. Some people might like to highlight their good points and some people might like to highlight their flaws, but they have both flaws and good points.

I remember a letter I wrote to a Nairalander before the 2015 election. I said that most of the bad things that were being written about Buhari were untrue and I took the time to debunk them (I could do that easily because I remember his first administration very well), yet I told her that I didn't want Buhari to be president and I outlined the reasons (again, I could do that because I remember his administration very well). The truth is that Buhari has both his good and bad sides.

Once again, I'm a huge fan of both Fela and Abiola, but the truth is that both of them would most likely be in jail if they lived in this era (or if I was president).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 3:09am On Jun 14, 2018
naptu2:

Here's the truth. I lived during the era of most of these people that you mentioned and I saw details of their lives that are not really published in the media today.

The truth is that none of them is a saint and none of them is a devil. They are people like you and they have their good points and their flaws. Some people might like to highlight their good points and some people might like to highlight their flaws, but they have both flaws and good points.

I remember a letter I wrote to a Nairalander before the 2015 election. I said that most of the bad things that were being written about Buhari were untrue and I took the time to debunk them (I could do that easily because I remember his first administration very well), yet I told her that I didn't want Buhari to be president and I outlined the reasons (again, I could do that because I remember his administration very well). The truth is that Buhari has both his good and bad sides.

Once again, I'm a huge fan of both Fela and Abiola, but the truth is that both of them would most likely be in jail if they lived in this era (or if I was president).
I understand all that. People accuse Lee Kuan Yew of making his family members wealthy and Xi Jinping jails opposition members and probably has one or two murders under his belt. I am not looking for a saint(the wrong assumption I naively believed in 2015) or a 'good' person, I am looking for the great ones. I just do not see them in the post-colonial leadership or the present ones. And I've stopped caring, I don't expect anything worthwhile from our political establishment until about 2027 onwards.

On a sidenote, ever considered running for office(or be president as you said)
Re: 13 Famous Proverbs Of MKO Abiola by Ikpongiton: 4:14am On Jun 14, 2018
Krafty006:
mko........We make school bags, lunch packs , women fashion bags , Ankara bags, travelling bags , laptop bags etc
0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6
if you can not make laptops,atleast make laptops bags and if travelling is difficult try travelling bags .God bless you.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Peter Obi Exposes Crude Oil Theft In Nigeria - How Government Steals Oil (Video) / Photos: Nairabet CEO, Akin Alabi Pulled Massive Crowd For His Campaign Today. / Air Vice-Marshal Sikiru Smith Kidnapped In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.