Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Awolowo Had No Equal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo Had No Equal (29657 Views)

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 / awolowo had no power to remove Western nigeria from Nigeria. Only Ademusiwa has / Eze:awolowo Had Nothing To Do With Biafra,gowon Who Lead The Killing 1 Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Awolowo Had No Equal by LFJ: 3:28am On Jun 03, 2010
Revisionists are everywhere. For the most part they are attempting to rework history by allowing their prejudices, illiteracy, and preconceived notions to cloud their reasoning. These critics have become masters at injecting willful fallacies, calculated falsehood
and historical nonsense into history; and in so doing, have began to cast aspersions on the memory of the great Obafemi Awolowo.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo (born March 6, 1909) was a political giant with an extraordinary mind and talent. He was graceful, charismatic and purposeful. Most of all
he had vision, and was a nice and decent human being! Yes, Chief Awolowo had his shortcomings. He was not a saint. However, his failings and missteps were far fewer and less injurious than those of his contemporaries. Within the context of Nigerian, and indeed within African politics, Awolowo had no equal. None!

He towered above his contemporaries. Not only that -- all the leaders we’ve had since his exit from government and politics have been political dwarfs. One would be hard-pressed to name a political leader in Nigeria -- since the second-half of the twentieth century – who did more for his people and for his country than Awolowo.

Awolowo was not a President. He was the Premier of the Western Region of Nigeria from October 1, 1954 until December 15, 1959. Nonetheless, his accomplishments dwarf the combined achievements of the last five heads of government Nigeria has had. And so from now until eternity his contribution to Nigeria’s socioeconomic and political life will be remembered and appreciated by discerning minds. As a federal minister under General Yakubu Gowon from June 12, 1967 to June 30 1971, he saved Nigeria from self immolation.

From the time he began his political career until his passing to the heavens -- his two great public missions were to make Nigeria better than the way he met it; and also, to secure Nigeria’s economic, social and political future for the next generation. But he was unable to achieve his presidential dream because he refused to compromise his principles; refused to betray his constituent and his conscience; and also refused to bow to the whims of the Colonialist. In addition, he refused to obey orders given by Dodan Barracks.

For these and other reasons, therefore, he was denied the ultimate political prize: the Presidency of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Because he was denied this political prize, Nigeria has remained in the doldrums ever since. In Chief Awolowo, we lost the brightest star we’ve ever had and may have to wait another seventy-year for a man like him to take Nigeria to the Promised Land. Frankly, to say he was a statesman is an understatement. If he was an American or a European, the world would have placed him in the same league as Churchill, Roosevelt, Charles de Gaulle and many others.

We now have a budding school of shortsighted, narrow-minded, and mean- spirited critics who are into Awo-bashing: rewriting history, repeating age-old falsities, spreading lies and innuendoes and casting aspersions on the Great One. Charles Caleb Colton it was who said that “In life, we shall find many men that are great, and some men that are good, but very few men that are both great and good.” Chief Obafemi Awolowo was such a man. He was good. He was great. He was extraordinary in many ways. And so I
remember him today as I have since his passing on May 9, 1987.

Chief Awolowo was born at the right time, and lived his life in the right country. But whether our country was right for him is another question. His impact on the lives of millions of Nigerians is immeasurable. He lived his life for the people. More than two decades after his untimely passing, he remains the yardstick by which greatness is still measured in the most populous and most important country in the Black world.

Twenty years after his passing, Awolowo lives on. He lives through his friends and family. He lives through his disciples. He lives through the great things he did for Nigeria. He lives through his writings and sermons. He lives through his political accomplishments.

He lives through all those who believe in the goodness and kindness of the human spirit; and he lives through all those who genuinely believe in,
and invoke his name and ideals.

He truly was a truly great man. Because of his brilliance and strength of character, he was very much misunderstood and envied; and because most couldn’t measure up to his expectation and greatness, they vilified him. If you were not alive when Awolowo lived, or if you were not fortunate to have met him, well, let me tell you this: He was graceful. He was charismatic. He was purposeful. Most of all he had a clear vision of what he wanted for Nigeria and for humanity. Above all else, he was a nice and decent human being! Oh AWOLOWO!!

Within the context of Nigerian, and indeed within African politics, Awolowo had no equal. He towered above his colleagues. To truly appreciate his greatness, all you need do is to take a look at the men and women who now dot, and have dotted our public estate and public space. Do so and you’d be hard-pressed to name a political leader in Nigeria, in the last 50 years, who did more for his people and for his country than Awolowo. In him we lost the brightest star we ever had and may have to wait another seventy years for a man like him

As I think of Awolowo, I wonder what would have become of our country. I think of how far we would have gone in terms of human and economic development. I think of all the possibilities and the dreams and aspirations we had as a nation. I miss him. I miss a good man, I miss a great man. I cannot now remember who it was who said, “Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some people move our souls to dance. They awaken us to a new understanding with the passing whisper of their wisdom. Some people make the sky more beautiful to gaze upon. They stay in our lives for awhile.” Awolowo was this and much more. He will remain in our lives for eternity.

Written by Sabella Ogbobode Abidde

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 3:31am On Jun 03, 2010
Within the context of Nigerian, and indeed within African politics, Awolowo had no equal. He towered above his colleagues. To truly appreciate his greatness, all you need do is to take a look at the men and women who now dot, and have dotted our public estate and public space. Do so and you’d be hard-pressed to name a political leader in Nigeria, in the last 50 years, who did more for his people and for his country than Awolowo. In him we lost the brightest star we ever had and may have to wait another seventy years for a man like him

I agree with this article 100% grin. It captures exactly what I think about Awolowo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by RYA: 3:54am On Jun 03, 2010
YOU ARE QUITE  RIGHT !!  HE WAS FAR AHEAD OF HIS GENERATION.[color=#006600][/color]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 3:57am On Jun 03, 2010
Same boring old ppl. Let's talk abt sth else for once.

What happened to Journalist who write without biased opinions? Mo fe facts!
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 3:58am On Jun 03, 2010
We now have a budding school of shortsighted, narrow-minded, and mean- spirited critics who are into Awo-bashing: rewriting history, repeating age-old falsities, spreading lies and innuendoes and casting aspersions on the Great One. Charles Caleb Colton it was who said that “In life, we shall find many men that are great, and some men that are good, but very few men that are both great and good.” Chief Obafemi Awolowo was such a man. He was good. He was great. He was extraordinary in many ways. And so I
remember him today as I have since his passing on May 9, 1987.

mekusxyz, akin-egba see wetin you cause?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by vinooh: 5:25am On Jun 03, 2010
only by stolen igbo money during and after biafran war
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 5:57am On Jun 03, 2010
This man was a tribalist. . . Pure & Simple.

Only the Yoruba give him praise. angry
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 6:19am On Jun 03, 2010
I don't normally comment on Yoruba or other people's tribal champions, but Awolowo is a different case because his evil machinations actions directly impacted my fortune in Nigeria.

This man sowed an evil seed that is still destroying southern Nigeria.

I feel insulted when anyone says he did something for Nigeria, and I ask WHAT exactly? What did he do for Nigeria that was not a by-product of his schemes to give his Yoruba tribe an unearned advantage over others?

Did he ever play fair politics? What were his antecedents? What can a non-Yoruba credit him with? I know a non-Igbo can credit Azikiwe with founding a united Nigeria by sacrificing his peoples interests. What Yoruba interest did Awolowo ever sacrifice for Nigeria?

Name just ONE!

Tribal champion? Yes! National leader? HELL NO! cool undecided cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 6:25am On Jun 03, 2010
You guys are effing inconsistent

Hold on
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by EzeUche(m): 6:29am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

You guys are effing inconsistent

Hold on

SEFAGO,

You will never hear an Igbo man giving praise to Awolowo. And we all have remained consistent with our message.

Awolowo was only a champion to the Yoruba people, not Nigeria as a whole. Anyone who says otherwise is being naive and foolish.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 6:40am On Jun 03, 2010
I am talking about this- the article is by the same author.

You guys are so biased lol: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=455620.msg6135299#msg6135299
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 6:51am On Jun 03, 2010
EzeUche:

SEFAGO,

You will never hear an Igbo man giving praise to Awolowo. And we all have remained consistent with our message.

Awolowo was only a champion to the Yoruba people, not Nigeria as a whole. Anyone who says otherwise is being naive and foolish.

You are the one being naive,silly and out of touch with the reality.Awolowo still remains the best president Nigeria never had.
Political agitators of his era(including (Zik) couldnt match is developmental and educational success.It is on this notion as premier of the Western region that he declared : "In 14 months,we have done more for Nigeria that the british did for us in 120 years.
Awolowo did Free education which attracted today#s most educated easterners and Northerners.He built Premier institutions-like the first TV station in Africa,University of Ibadan,founded Oodua Group Of industries which today has over 25 successful coys under its fold amongst others.Most of today's leaders in SW enjoyed free and Qualitative education of the Awolowo era.this was against British Govt's plan to levy,tax and mortgage education for poor and growing Nigerians.
His former political ally turned opponent(Zik) who defected to the party at the center to become President of Nigeria couldnt even better the lot of his people not to talk of impacting postively on the lives of Nigerians.

Enlightened Igbo men accused Zik of selling their "birth right" by defecting to the ruling party.

In our founding father's world: North's religious emancipation and polititical conservatism,East's politics of "better side" and political prostitution,Awolowo is a statue of steadfastness in the face of betrayal and deciet by Zik,political activism,foresightly generational emancipation and well-reserched and formulated sustainable plan of national development
he recorded tremendous success in SouthWest with abysmal revenue from cocoa supplemented by income and property tax from workers and property owners COMPARED to today's petro-dollars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:03am On Jun 03, 2010
Can someone please enlighten me more on this Awo free education. Was it for all Nigerians living in western Nigeria, or was it only for westerners? If it was for ALL Nigerians, why didn't all Easterners travel enmasse to the West to grab that free education? Just wondering. . .

As far as I know, Awo never did anything for Nigerians outside of western Nigeria.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by vinooh: 7:07am On Jun 03, 2010
@ezeuche that man never wanted to be Nigeria president only sought for Nigeria purse and  when he finally got it. guess what he did with it?bro only God know
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:12am On Jun 03, 2010
are you igbo people ok? Look at the difference in responses between an artice by the same author:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=455620.msg6135299#msg6135299

All of you praised the veracity of that story because it was good for you, and you now change your responses 360 degrees for what? Even though there is no evidence that the igbo have achieved a lot as much as is claimed.

My oh my
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:17am On Jun 03, 2010
^^
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question: What did Awolowo do for ALL Nigerians that cost Yoruba anything?
If the answer is none (which it is), how can anyone call him a national leader?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 03, 2010
Since the enemies to my survival never take a vacation, why should I?

I find this more interesting than the topic.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 7:21am On Jun 03, 2010
The free education was for everybody, EVERY NIGERIAN, Most easterners migrated en-masse to West to avail themselves,their wards or grandchildren the opportunity proffered by the free education.Northern traders,drivers etc also moved enjoy the free education policy of the West.

Maybe you need to read lamido sanusi's write-up on his life @ a Lagos public school,Kings College and after.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:28am On Jun 03, 2010
olafolarin:

The free education was for everybody, EVERY NIGERIAN, Most easterners migrated en-masse to West to avail themselves,their wards or grandchildren the opportunity proffered by the free education.Northern traders,drivers etc also moved enjoy the free education policy of the West.

Maybe you need to read lamido sanusi's write-up on his life @ a Lagos public school,Kings College and after.

If the above is true, then I stand corrected. I would wait for it to be corroborated by an unbiased party though. I would also research this issue myself.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:28am On Jun 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

^^
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question: What did Awolowo do for ALL Nigerians that cost Yoruba anything?

Dont be silly, this topic was made to mock your self-serving selves. Wetin concern me with Awolowo- na that I go chop?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 7:29am On Jun 03, 2010
"Fools argue issues while intellects discuss facts"
I find this more interesting than the topix
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:29am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

I find this more interesting than the topic.

How can any sane person sleep while a dangerous snake is hiding somewhere in the house? Doesn't make sense wouldn't you say?
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 7:30am On Jun 03, 2010
^^^ I agree. Makes no sense.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:31am On Jun 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

How can any sane person sleep while a dangerous snake in hiding somewhere in the house? Doesn't make sense wouldn't you say?

U will die from lack of sleep lol. You lose both ways hehe
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 7:40am On Jun 03, 2010
Onlytruth:

^^
I'm still waiting for the answer to my question: What did Awolowo do for ALL Nigerians that[b] cost Yoruba anything[/b]?

Awolowo didnt have to do everything for Nigeria to the detriment of his constituency.He is intelligent unlike his contemporaries who left their people in delusion and hopelessness while serving in Government as "figurehead" Presiident.

He imbibed the culture of "be your brothers keeper"in us and it still brings good primary school memories of how we relate,teach and play with hausa or igbo speaking classmates.It made us do more for people with language or culture disadvantage.Because of such,tribal strife is very rare or at the lowest level in all SW states.

The free education he did was for everybody,
The Infrastructures he built is for all Nigerians.He built U.I with cocoa dividends but the institution admits all qualified Nigerians.

His agitation for the soverreingnty of Nigeria from the British colonialist is not a a SW war but a Nigerian Movement-[sub][/sub]and Zik was his secretary and subordinate at the time.
The first television station in Africa he esatblished was and is not for SW eyes only but for all Nigerians.
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:45am On Jun 03, 2010
^^
I'm still laughing. . He loved Nigeria like monkey love bananas and like goats love yams . grin grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:47am On Jun 03, 2010
SEFAGO:

U will die from lack of sleep lol. You lose both ways hehe

U are already dead from your deep slumber. I'm not that lazy and I hardly lose. cool
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by olafolarin(m): 7:48am On Jun 03, 2010
Can you tell us what Zik did for Igbo people or Nigeria at large??
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Nobody: 7:49am On Jun 03, 2010
My role model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4c_wI6kQyE

Ok, the topix is more interesting than this angry
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:51am On Jun 03, 2010
olafolarin:

Can you tell us what Zik did for Igbo people or Nigeria at large??

Ah! Ol boy the question should be: What didn't he do for Nigeria at the expense of Ndigbo?

Zik is the single founder of Nigeria, even northerners know.

I can list things
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by SEFAGO(m): 7:54am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

Loco engine baby- what more would you want grin
Re: Awolowo Had No Equal by Onlytruth(m): 7:55am On Jun 03, 2010
FL Gators:

Gators, is that video real?

Chineke! shocked shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Yoruba Community Alleges Marginalisation In Enugu / Atiku Offers Buhari's Team Free Crash Campaign Course For Two Weeks / APC Governors Meet Buhari, Reject Consensus, Seek Indirect Primaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.