Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,195 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 AM

Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months (30267 Views)

U. S.Border Patrol Fire Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets As Thousands Storm Border Fence / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Kissup(f): 5:32pm On Jun 15, 2018
I don't have your time if only you had a job you will be tired after so much work.what can I say jobless Nigeria guy
gypsey:
Mmmm. that's not what you said initially, what you said was that if the guy was in nigeria, No one will arrest him and jail him, how can they treat him like that After living in canada since 1993? and then you added No place like home, Go back and read your initial comment, you must have a memory relapse grin in just few minutes ago.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by plaetton: 5:37pm On Jun 15, 2018
thatigboman:
the guy say he was in naija when the crime occurred
So he says.
Does that mean it is true ?
Fingerprints are like DNA, and is an airtight evidence.
No two People have the same fingerprints.
I am inclined, and so are law enforcement agents and courts all over the world, to believe in fingerprints evidence rather than the words of a criminal suspect.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 15, 2018
Kissup:
I don't have your time if only you had a job you will be tired after so much work.what can I say jobless Nigeria guy
Thank you! very much! grin you have lost the Argument Again and you resorted to making derogatory remarks.

have a good evening, let me go and look for jobless people like me cheesy. Ciao!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by plaetton: 5:46pm On Jun 15, 2018
stagger:

So why was he not shown the results? Who analyzed the fingerprints? Is the punishment for any such crime if proven to be locked up without trial for 8 months?
The reason is quite simple. First, he wasn't charged or was on trial for a crime in a court of law. Therefore, the law enforcement agents have no obligations to share evidence with him until he is formally charged.
Secondly, they had to hold him indefinitely for 2 good reasons. First, they could not afford to release him into Canada because he was suspected criminal and deportee. No amount of surety or personal guarantee would be acceptable. Secondly, they could also not afford to deport him until they give him the benefit of doubts pending the completion of their investigations. Thirdly, because of legal challenges presumably from the suspect's lawyer, the immigration authorities were most likely constrained in taking any particular course of action.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 15, 2018
plaetton:

So he says.
I am inclined, and so are law enforcement agents and courts all over the world, to believe in fingerprints evidence rather than the words of a criminal suspect.
Absolutely!
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by hammed71(m): 6:10pm On Jun 15, 2018
Guys dey para
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Ramaa(m): 6:15pm On Jun 15, 2018
believewin:
...IF I SLAP YOU EHH
that is guy in the picture is a Tanzanian musician goes by the name Hamorapa

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 15, 2018
EgunMogaji:

And the people here living in the USA from:

Singapore
Saudi Arabia
Australia
Canada
Britain
Italy
Japan
China
South Korea

Sometimes I wonder about the thought process of the average grown male Nigerian.

That is what a repeated cycle of bad governance and religious brain-bleaching has done to nigerians especially the youths ( even the educated ones)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by ajl: 6:29pm On Jun 15, 2018
The guy don hammer. He is definitely going to get paid big time. Especially because it's Canada.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 15, 2018
tumababa:

That is what a repeated cycle of bad governance and religious brain-bleaching has done to nigerians especially the youths ( even the educated ones)

Very true.

Nigerians have been going overseas even when the economy was fantastic.

One of my Uncles graduated from University in the 60's. And he's from Ijebu Ode not from wealth.

There are stories of Nigerian students and families traveling to Europe and back on sailing ships back in the 60's. One Nairaladner actually posted a black and white picture of his parents and him on one.

Nigeria is a complicated marriage of culture but she was good at some point and didn't start getting bad until the 80's I think.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 15, 2018
ajl:
The guy don hammer. He is definitely going to get paid big time. Especially because it's Canada.

He'll be financially set BUT he was in prison.

There was a Mexican American teenager that similar happened to. She was never detained but was flagged at the border and not allowed to come in.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by ajl: 6:46pm On Jun 15, 2018
plaetton:

The reason is quite simple. First, he wasn't charged or was on trial for a crime in a court of law. Therefore, the law enforcement agents have no obligations to share evidence with him until he is formally charged.
Secondly, they had to hold him indefinitely for 2 good reasons. First, they could not afford to release him into Canada because he was suspected criminal and deportee. No amount of surety or personal guarantee would be acceptable. Secondly, they could also not afford to deport him until they give him the benefit of doubts pending the completion of their investigations. Thirdly, because of legal challenges presumably from the suspect's lawyer, the immigration authorities were most likely constrained in taking any particular course of action.

Which law are you basing your argument on? You think this is Nigeria. People cannot be detained beyond a specific period only if they are thought to be of serious threat to the community, and only a judge can authorize that. A police officer can come up with his/her own law.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jun 15, 2018
thatigboman:
the guy say he was in naija when the crime occurred

Not sure if you are aware of this but a popular scam at Muritala is to bribe immigration to stamp your passport with different dates from when you entered the country.

This is one of the reasons why foreign immigration will thumb through passports to validate dates.

His primary proof for immigration purposes that he was in Nigeria will be his passport stamps and being Nigerian they will not trust his document and will have to validate.

On a foreign immigration forum that I haunt, one VO that worked in Lagos stated that over 80% (his estimate) of documents they are given are fake/fraudulent. So their default position is that any document provided is fake. I'm sure you would have read Nigerians complaining that VOs are not looking at the edger of documents that they brought to the interview.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by plaetton: 6:54pm On Jun 15, 2018
ajl:

Which law are you basing your argument on? You think this is Nigeria. People cannot be detained beyond a specific period only if they are thought to be of serious threat to the community, and only a judge can authorize that. A police officer can come up with his/her own law.
B.S
Immigration is different from police.

Canadian immigration can detain anyone indefinitely for as long as it is necessary to complete an investigation or to determine course of action.
In some cases, the detenees ask them to deport them instead of indefinite detention. I have witnessed it many many times.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 15, 2018
This is a not a case of corruption, it's pure racism, wickedness and inhumanity based on the skin colour of the victim. THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO A WHITE PERSON.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by ajl: 7:15pm On Jun 15, 2018
plaetton:

B.S
Immigration is different from police.

Canadian immigration can detain anyone indefinitely for as long as it is necessary to complete an investigation or to determine course of action.
In some cases, the detenees ask them to deport them instead of indefinite detention. I have witnessed it many many times.

My point is it is illegal for immigration to detain a citizen.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 15, 2018
No, fingerprints are unique to each individual. No two persons have the same finger prints. Having said that, if the Canadian Immigration officials believed he was the one that they had deported before, it should not take them 8 months [keeping him in detention] to ascertain who he really is and deport him if warranted unless he was fighting deportation.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by cnonyechi(f): 7:20pm On Jun 15, 2018
buygala:
He was obviously addressed the way he is dressed

Dude looks shady sad

Abi oo
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by dadada98: 8:02pm On Jun 15, 2018
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nnamdiojukwu: 9:33pm On Jun 15, 2018
OboOlora:
Hahahaha, y dem nor go detain am

C as Canadian Citizen b like Abba Kyari abi wetin b d name of that SARS guy wey de catch everybody?
You no reason matured at all,the man that spent 8months in detention, how do you xpect him to look like?
Or,do you think is everyone that is crazy about pleasing the public about appearance?
Take a seat abeg.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nnamdiojukwu: 9:34pm On Jun 15, 2018
ajl:

My point is it is illegal for immigration to detain a citizen.
Without trial?
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by CDCEO001: 11:17pm On Jun 15, 2018
superhumanist:

Ogunye, who immigrated to Canada from Nigeria with his family andbecame a citizen in 1996, was moved between Maplehurst correctional facility and Central East correctional centre.

How come they don't know the year he immigrated to Canada with his family, but knows the year he became citizen?
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Sholaystar4me(m): 12:11am On Jun 16, 2018
watch closely guys, another million dollar is about to be paid, HE WILL BE PAID!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Egbi2020: 8:17am On Jun 16, 2018
fairfora:
Equipment, especially electronic-enabled ones can malfunction anytime. I've used an atm before and the machine dispensed more than the amount entered. I would have doubted that I entered a correct amount if not the fact that I entered all the amount I had as balance in my account. That people hardly experience this doesn't mean it can't happen...it happened to me. If the guy is innocent and the Canadian government is able to tender an apology, he should just forget about the matter but the govt must compensate him well for maltreating and defaming him.

Regarding the ATM dispensed more than the amount imputed is not a system malfunction but the ATM custodian failed to do the needful. ATM cassette default currency is $100. is now left for the custodian to reset it to #1000 or#500 if not so if u imput #1000 d machine will dispensed 10 note of 1000 because is left in a default which is $100.because 10pcs of $100=$1000
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Sunymoore(m): 8:19am On Jun 16, 2018
plaetton:

Lol.
Fingerprints don't lie.

Nigerians are known all over the world for having numerous identities, especially for a person who is suspected to have been deported a long time ago.
Fingerprints do lie.. The concept of fingerprinting issa art not science. 1 in 50K will have the same one.
Clearly, if it's a science, anytime something happens to a finger you fingerlogged in a system, you have to update such system with the alteration..
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Sunymoore(m): 8:26am On Jun 16, 2018
plaetton:

So he says.
Fingerprints do match.. More especially partial prints.. Fingerprinting is not a SCIENCE.. There's no general algorithm for it. Interpretation is subjective to the observer. 1 in 50K do have a MATCH of fingerprints..
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 16, 2018
Egbi2020:

Regarding the ATM dispensed more than the amount imputed is not a system malfunction but the ATM custodian failed to do the needful. ATM cassette default currency is $100. is now left for the custodian to reset it to #1000 or#500 if not so if u imput #1000 d machine will dispensed 10 note of 1000 because is left in a default which is $100.because 10pcs of $100=$1000
I am not in doubt of your assertion. If you understand the principle of a computer(GIGO), then you'd agree with me it's prone to error...be it human or mechanical, it does not matter. What we command the computer to do(either correctly or erroneously), that is exactly what it would do. The custodian in this case(either the immigration or customs who are the agent of the Canadian govt) needs to be slammed with a lawsuit, which the guy's lawyer is already doing. No excuses for mistakes made in a situation like this. It's an inhuman treatment.
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by micfoley: 7:25pm On Jun 16, 2018
This guy Don hammer be dat o
Re: Nigerian-canadian Citizen Illegally Detained By Border Patrol For 8 Months by Nobody: 3:07am On May 06, 2019
buygala:

He was obviously addressed the way he is dressed
Dude looks shady
Shady or not, dressed this way or that way, he is a citizen and he should be respected as such.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Travelers Sleep By Roadside At Abuja Airport As Staff Push Them Out / Bus Rams Into A Building In Benin After Being Shot At By NSCDC Officials.Photos / Federal Government To Introduce A New Visa Policy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.