Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,322 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:30 AM

8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams (10691 Views)

Study Abroad: Five (5) Ways To Identify Study Abroad Scholarship Scams. / 7 Killer Examples Of Scholarship Motivation Letter / FG Releases Over N9 Billion For Payment Of Scholarship Allowance Backlog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by latestupdate: 8:33am On Jun 16, 2018
To protect yourself from scholarship con artists, look for these warning signs. After all, the last thing you want is less money in your pocket., here are the 8 signs you should look out for

1. Application fees: Stay clear of any scholarships that require you to pay a “small processing fee,” even if it’s just a few dollars. The provider may claim it’s to weed out “non-serious applicants,” but don’t be fooled. Legitimate scholarships want to give you money, not take it away.

2. No phone number: Be extremely wary of any scholarship opportunities that don’t provide a telephone number. A lot of scholarship scams don’t give out phone numbers because they’re too easy to trace.

3. Open to everyone: The majority of private scholarship providers choose to award scholarships to students who fit a certain set of criteria. If you come across a scholarship that’s open to everyone, do some extra research on the scholarship provider before you apply.

4. No proof of past winners: Try Google searching the scholarship and look for evidence of past winners. Most scholarship providers like to brag about the money they’ve given out, so if you can’t find any history, the scholarship could be a scam. This isn’t always the case, though. New scholarships, of course, don’t have past winners.

5. Fake nonprofit or federal status: Even if a company has a Washington, D.C. address or its name sounds official, beware—it could easily be fake! And just because its name has the word “Foundation” or “Fund” in it, that doesn’t necessarily make it a nonprofit.

6. Requests for personal financial information: It’s completely unnecessary for a legitimate scholarship provider to ask you to provide a credit card, bank account, or social security number. If you get a phone call from someone claiming that they need this information to process an application, disconnect the call immediately.
Apply For International Internships at Click Labs

7. Winning a scholarship that you didn’t apply to: If you get a call (or E-mail) from a scholarship provider proclaiming that you’ve just won a scholarship, but you have no idea who they are and have never submitted an application for that particular scholarship, it’s most likely not legitimate. Don’t give them any information; just hang up / delete the message.

8. Claims that they’ll “do all the work for you:” We’ve made it clear that it takes a lot of work to apply for scholarships. Sorry, but this is unavoidable.

Read The 10 reasons why Nigerians FAIL in their scholarship application
https://ukaid.org/2018/06/09/scholarship-applications-10-reasons-why-yours-will-fail/

Read The 13 BEST TIP's for Winning Scholarships in Nigeria
https://ukaid.org/2018/06/09/13-best-tips-for-winning-scholarships/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by TalkTalkTwins(m): 11:57am On Jun 16, 2018
FTC smiley

I know that nobody is dragging it grin with me but I still made it!
If you are looking for opportunities, grants and much more, please check out my blog >> www.know.com.ng

I publish a lot of them daily!
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by OG1BABY(f): 11:57am On Jun 16, 2018
Ok. Thanks
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by maverickdude(m): 11:58am On Jun 16, 2018
That was how africancharity said we should pay #1500 to send our mastercard containing $1500, even those who didn't write exam got the message. Idiots, their stupidity still amaze me grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 16, 2018
Noted. Thanks
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Femich18(m): 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2018
Noted
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
Nigerians go still fall from canada visa scam to scholarship. Many are too gullible.

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Aderewah: 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
Yahoo things
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by LazyNairalander(m): 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
Number 8 is so true judging from my near victim experience?
check my SIGNATURE ojare
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Houseofglam7(f): 12:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
Of course undecided
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Benjaniblinks(m): 12:03pm On Jun 16, 2018
Noted.
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by johnaruson(m): 12:04pm On Jun 16, 2018
Good info
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by sonsomegrigbo: 12:06pm On Jun 16, 2018
How will an ordinary Igbo man with no education know this?

Illiteracy still reign supreme in that land...

I really pity them

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by labusinessguide: 12:16pm On Jun 16, 2018
Okay
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Larryslim(m): 1:10pm On Jun 16, 2018
One wanted to scam me last year
They said I've been offered scholarship to Finland to five different universities..
Next thing was I need to pay $150 for courier and other things,I was then given 90days as ultimatum, I quickly knew it was scam
Then I sent a e-mail to them,asking how sure I am it isn't a scam,No reply again..
I then sent the woman that linked me up,she already blocked me
Awon werey!

1 Like

Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Donald3d(m): 1:22pm On Jun 16, 2018
Nice
Anyway ...I have an ungoing training to help you boost your blog and make Money with it easily, if you have been trying and failing at blogging, this training is for you .Check out the link below .There are FREE limited slots available
https://www.nairaland.com/4549363/blogging-everything-single-thing-need
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by Revolva(m): 2:52pm On Jun 16, 2018
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 5:33pm On Jun 16, 2018
PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO AND READ BELOW IT.
Its 50% Discount PROMO in Lakowe Golf: Own A CofO Land in Prime Location And With Peace of Mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lym8cY79oHQ
Lands and Property Assets Owned in Good Locations,acquired RIGHTLY, through a REPUTABLE SOURCE are the best acquisition and investments to ever have
Re: 8 Signs Of Scholarship Scams by slowbreeze(f): 9:01pm On Jun 16, 2018
Thank you..especially the so called scheme called UNICAF.I mistakenly applied for it and put my phone number..Na every day phone call; from them telling me to pay my application fee.;bla bla bla.Imagine someone that claims to want to pay for ur studies pursuing u.They dont tell u from the onset that its even a partial online scholarship; so bye bye to even visa or travelling abroad..lol..

(1) (Reply)

Unical Announces Two Weeks Break After Students' Protest / Gateway Ict Polytechnic Saapade Hnd Form Is Out (check It Out!) / Nairaland Interschool debate: Obafemi Awolowo University winner 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.