Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,099 members, 7,821,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country (1015 Views)

History Of Ifewara Town In Osun State Nigeria - A Documentary Report / How Yoruba Kings Practiced Sex Slavery In Pre Colonial Days / Colonial Masters Posing With Women In The 70s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by GodSon34(m): 9:55pm On Jun 17, 2018
Nigeria is the creation of European/British Imperialism. To call Nigeria a country would be incorrect.

Even the name Nigeria was created by Flora Shaw, wife of Lord Luggard and is believed to secretly mean: Negro-area.

Nigeria is a combination of various tribes., most of which were ancient enemies. The Fulani conquered the Hausa. The various Yoruba wars which have not been properly documented. The selling out of the Alafin of Oyo and Oba of Benin to the British slave and colonial masters.

It goes on and on...
Nigeria was purposely created to oppress and suppress certain ethnic groups like the Igbo, Ijebus, Warri, etc
The amalgamation of the northern and southern protectorates by the British was done to empower certain tribes over others.

Nigeria will never be united because it’s foundation was based on deep rooted cultural and religious differences which is till today being exploited by the colonial powers (neo-colonialism)
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jun 18, 2018
Sir....
You know what? This was very well written. I was waiting on an article like this cause I think that this is one of the main factors for why Nigeria is having so much difficulty.
I agree with this the more that I do research on this issue.
Why would hundreds of tribes be forced to live together peacefully when so many factors differ (mainly language and religion etc.)?
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by GodSon34(m): 11:17pm On Jun 18, 2018
My brother it’s like putting English, German, French, etc in one country. Them don shove Nigeria down our throats by force. God dey!
Mobilia:
Sir....
You know what? This was very well written. I was waiting on an article like this cause I think that this is one of the main factors for why Nigeria is having so much difficulty.
I agree with this the more that I do research on this issue.
Why would hundreds of tribes be forced to live together peacefully when so many factors differ (mainly language and religion etc.)?
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jun 18, 2018
GodSon34:
My brother it’s like putting English, German, French, etc in one country. Them don shove Nigeria down our throats by force. God dey!

I don't live in Nigeria...never have.
But clearly, there's a problem somewhere.
You are right about your first sentence.
I don't think it's a bad thing to have different types of people...but even in the U.S. where it's supposedly a "melting pot" of cultures, there still exists some of the most segregated neighborhoods in the world.
The segregation is based on language, culture and religion..people of like minds who can communicate with each other in whatever language they speak.
Oh and by the way..I'm a woman....
Hope you aren't offended by that.
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by GodSon34(m): 11:42pm On Jun 18, 2018
Offended? Most def not..
I don’t live in Nigeria either., uk based.
It’s a conspiracy...the whole country is a fraud.
Conspiracy to hide the identity of certain groups
Mobilia:

I don't live in Nigeria...never have.
But clearly, there's a problem somewhere.
You are right about your first sentence.
I don't think it's a bad thing to have different types of people...but even in the U.S. where it's supposedly a "melting pot" of cultures, there still exists some of the most segregated neighborhoods in the world.
The segregation is based on language, culture and religion..people of like minds who can communicate with each other in whatever language they speak.
Oh and by the way..I'm a woman....
Hope you aren't offended by that.
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by Nobody: 10:49pm On Jun 19, 2018
GodSon34:
Offended? Most def not..
I don’t live in Nigeria either., uk based.
It’s a conspiracy...the whole country is a fraud.
Conspiracy to hide the identity of certain groups

Conspiracy you say?
Perhaps....could be some truth to that
I'm learning to "never say never"...when it comes to human beings.
Just curious..but what "certain" groups' identities were they trying to hide?
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by davidnazee: 2:08am On Jun 20, 2018
GodSon34:
Nigeria is the creation of European/British Imperialism. To call Nigeria a country would be incorrect.

Even the name Nigeria was created by Flora Shaw, wife of Lord Luggard and is believed to secretly mean: Negro-area.

Nigeria is a combination of various tribes., most of which were ancient enemies. The Fulani conquered the Hausa. The various Yoruba wars which have not been properly documented. The selling out of the Alafin of Oyo and Oba of Benin to the British slave and colonial masters.

It goes on and on...
Nigeria was purposely created to oppress and suppress certain ethnic groups like the Igbo, Ijebus, Warri, etc
The amalgamation of the northern and southern protectorates by the British was done to empower certain tribes over others.

Nigeria will never be united because it’s foundation was based on deep rooted cultural and religious differences which is till today being exploited by the colonial powers (neo-colonialism)

Your write up is nice but calling the Oba of Benin a sellout is totally wrong.
It was due to his refusal to sellout that British went to war with Benin Kingdom.
Re: Nigeria - A Colonial Structure Not A Country by GodSon34(m): 8:04am On Jun 20, 2018
Agreed he put up a fight against the British. By sellout I mean partaking in enslaving certain groups and selling to Europeans. The Oba of Benin also ensured his Edo-Bini people were not enslaved. The slavery was competition between Benin and Oyo
davidnazee:

Your write up is nice but calling the Oba of Benin a sellout is totally wrong.
It was due to his refusal to sellout that British went to war with Benin Kingdom.

(1) (Reply)

Botswana Is Now First African Country To Legalize Homosexuality / Akuko Ifo maka agha IDU NA OBA ... / Do Women Get Tired Of Making Love With Their Husband And Vice Versa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.