Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,351 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:12 AM

Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes (42034 Views)

5 Most Poisonous Snakes. / Computer Science And Computer Engineering: What Are The Differences? / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Elijahrona(m): 7:23am On Jun 18, 2018
Snakes are scary. The thought of a snake nearby is enough to drive some people crazy. We all run from snakes because we fear their poisonous bites. What if not all snake bites are poisonous? If so, how can we identify a snake based on the differences between poisonous and non poisonous snakes? Read this article to satisfy your curiosity.

Differences between poisonous and non poisonous snakes

Head
Heads of Poisonous snakes are mostly triangular (because their necks are broad) while the heads of non poisonous snakes are more flattened than that of poisonous ones.

Colour
Poisonous snakes have bright colours. We could say pretty hurts. Non poisonous snakes aren't as brightly coloured.

Heat-sensitive pit
Poisonous snakes have a heat-sensitive pit between their eyes and nostrils. This pit is used to locate warm blooded animals like mammals. Non poisonous snakes lack such pits. This is one of the major differences between poisonous and non poisonous snakes

Rattle
All rattlesnakes are poisonous therefore, if you see a rattle or hear its sound, know that it's a poisonous snake.

Head scales
In poisonous snakes, the scales on top of their heads are usually small. Non poisonous snakes however have larger scales on top of their heads

Visibility while swimming
When poisonous snakes swim, they're fully visible because they swim at the surface of the water. On the other hand, non poisonous snakes swim partly or fully invisible because they swim deep.

Teeth
Poisonous snakes have Fangs (Large Maxillary teeth with groves). you can identify fangs by seeing two long teeth in the front. Non poisonous snakes lack fangs, their teeth are even and uniform. This is one of the major differences between poisonous and non poisonous snakes
[img]https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/bush-viper-fangs-aggression-picture-id929151704?k=6&m=929151704&s=612x612&w=0&h=nXWIqNdmmS7W0OixhmfXHwNeVJ83Xfu1stm-pgxwmwo=[/img]

Bite marks
I just hope you've not been bitten by a snake. You could examine snake bitten animals though. The bite mark of poisonous snakes look like twin punctures because of the fangs. Non poisonous snakes' bite marks don't appear as two punctures.

Examples of poisonous snakes
Black Mamba
King cobra
Eastern brown snake
Coastal taipan
Inland taipan
Many-branded krait
Tiger snake
Boomslang
Mamushi
E.t.c

Examples of non poisonous snakes
Northern water snake
Four-lined snake
Eastern garter snake
Emerald tree boa
Rough green snake
Bull snake
black rat snake
Milk snake
Python
Anaconda
E.t.c

Now that you know some differences between poisonous and non poisonous snakes
So long as you aren't a zoologist, please stay clear from snakes. Don't go experimenting. Stay safe. View and share the photo below. It is a summarised list of differences.
[img]https://1.bp..com/-lDWU-Hg_tUY/WybvnXln2OI/AAAAAAAAESQ/wQV8mBxg6oocFghmx8dOJmphRGdyZDcggCK4BGAYYCw/s1600/difference%2Bbetween%2Bpoisonous%2Band%2Bnon%2Bpoisonous%2Bsnakes.jpg[/img]

SOURCE:
https://www.allbioconcerns.com/2018/06/poisonous-and-non-poisonous-snakes.html
ABC; All Biological Concerns

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Hyinkar97(m): 7:25am On Jun 18, 2018
For me, snake na snake. Poisonous or non poisonous, I don’t care.

If I see one, I automatically pick race cheesy

298 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by DaudaAbu(m): 7:26am On Jun 18, 2018
Lala come and choose your snake ooohhhhhh.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Olalan(m): 7:27am On Jun 18, 2018
To majority all snakes are poisonous.
BTW after a snake bite who remembers to find the snake to know it's type rather the first thing that comes to mind is getting treated for the bite

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Elijahrona(m): 7:39am On Jun 18, 2018
Olalan:
BTW after a snake bite who remembers to find the snake to know it's type rather the first thing that comes to mind is getting treated for the bite

Lol. It's vital we know the differences Sha.

Lalasticlala food is ready

3 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 18, 2018
Arrant nonsense. In a state of shock and fear u go remember all this ones

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Bahddo(m): 10:42am On Jun 18, 2018
I don't even want to know the difference. I'd kill all snakes alive if I had the power. Never mind the ecological imbalance I'd cause.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by czarina(f): 11:30am On Jun 18, 2018
So let's see, we're supposed to stop, examine and then pat the non-poisonous ones on the head when we see them abi?

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by TMTR: 11:33am On Jun 18, 2018
Bahddo:
I don't even want to know the difference. I'd kill all snakes alive if I had the power. Never mind the ecological imbalance I'd cause.
**Hisses**
Fűck the ecological imbalance it will result to, cause if it were up to me I would have sent them into extinction a long time ago.

Gosh I hate snakes with every fibre of my being..

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Elijahrona(m): 11:36am On Jun 18, 2018
czarina:
So let's see, we're supposed stop, examine and then pat the non-poisonous ones on the head when we see them abi?

The article is for enlightenment. Now you know what you didn't know.

2 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by czarina(f): 11:45am On Jun 18, 2018
Elijahrona:

The article is for enlightenment. Now you know what you didn't know.
Very pointless darling. I hate snakes and like so many others, my first reaction would be to kill any one I see, harmless or not. So you see, any article on identifying them would be utterly useless to me.

8 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Elijahrona(m): 11:49am On Jun 18, 2018
czarina:
Very pointless darling. I hate snakes and like so many others, my first reaction would be to kill any one I see, harmless or not. So you see, any article on identifying them would be utterly useless to me.

Lol I get you. But it took a lot to write the article. Please don't call it useless grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by czarina(f): 11:54am On Jun 18, 2018
Elijahrona:

Lol I get you. But it took a lot to write the article. Please don't call it useless grin
Sorry it got to you that way.. It's useless to me doesn't mean it will be same for all others. Clear and colorful images by the way even though I scrolled right past them (its a compliment)

1 Like

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Nobody: 11:55am On Jun 18, 2018
Na dis kinda thin snake master dey like lipsrsealed undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Elijahrona(m): 12:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
czarina:
Sorry it got to you that way.. It's useless to me doesn't mean it will be same for all others. Clear and colorful images by the way even though I scrolled right past them (its a compliment)

crythanks smiley

1 Like

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by skillz121(m): 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
Op check dis out

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Mrnakeina(m): 1:08pm On Jun 18, 2018
OP, so if or when i see snake, i'll start examining to know if i should defend myself and loved ones first or just let it pass?

My man, any crawling or creeping thing around or on my way must die.

3 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 18, 2018
Lalasticlala kee kwanu? Nde ulo-gi ha dikwa mma? Ekele kelerem omalicha nwanyioma oma gi.

2 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by AK6464(m): 1:35pm On Jun 18, 2018
My dear brothers and sisters, wisdom demands that you treat every snake as poisonous, a case of mistaken identity here will show you there's a thin line between life and death

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by anthronics: 1:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
Nice post OP, I love the part So long as you aren't a zoologist, please stay clear from snakes. Don't go experimenting wink

6 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by clerkent(m): 2:37pm On Jun 18, 2018
Poisionous ke.abeg in phynos voice "kill them all".

3 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Nobody: 3:10pm On Jun 18, 2018
Informative to know the difference.
Meanwhile lala food don set
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by uchebest2006(m): 3:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
Informative..... atleast, I learnt something today. But snake na snake.
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by moscobabs(m): 3:39pm On Jun 18, 2018
Ok.....anytime i see a snake i will first wait to check all these before i do judgement to it.
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 18, 2018
Venomous, you mean, OP.

The truth is nobody get time dey observe all these attributes. I see snake, I pick race. I find who get mind. I tell people say na we kill am.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by Elijahrona(m): 4:37pm On Jun 18, 2018
skillz121:
Op check dis out

Thanks. Though most popular websites used the word poisonous instead of venomous.
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by greenek: 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
Elijahrona:
Snakes are scary. The thought of a snake nearby is

Before looking for poisonous or non poisonous snake, it's cool if you learn something that's important to your future, that's simple English

There's nothing like poisonous snake, snakes are venomous

If the source where you copied this write up can't use simple proper English that's non life threatening
, then the validity of this write up(life threatening) could be questioned

4 Likes

Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by bodee(m): 6:01pm On Jun 18, 2018
Olalan:
knowing the type is also vital and important and this is to ensure the best kind of treatment needed. Although, first aid is needed to hamper the movement of the venom.
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by bodee(m): 6:03pm On Jun 18, 2018
czarina:
So let's see, we're supposed to stop, examine and then pat the non-poisonous ones on the head when we see them abi?

lol
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by bodee(m): 6:07pm On Jun 18, 2018
AK6464:
My dear brothers and sisters, wisdom demands that you treat every snake as poisonous, a case of mistaken identity here will show you there's a thin line between life and death
No cause for alarm, one's body reaction will show whether it's poisonous or not; such as the bitten part will swell and difficult to move then one feels dizzy and weak.
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by AK6464(m): 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2018
bodee:
No cause for alarm, one's body reaction will show whether it's poisonous or not; such as the bitten part will swell and difficult to move then one feels dizzy and weak.

Are you for real?
Re: Know The Differences Between Poisonous And Non Poisonous Snakes by seunny4lif(m): 6:31pm On Jun 18, 2018
Lala your time is now
Who get time dey check, if the snake is Poisonous or not.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Things You Don't Know About Japanese Schools / Prof. Oladipo Akinkugbe Is Dead / see What Fuel Scarcity Caused In FUNAAB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.