Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,313 members, 7,811,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? (14119 Views)

7 Nigerians Who Were Pioneers In Their Area / 10 Things Ghanaians Know About Nigerians / What Amuses You The Most About Nigerians? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by bintab(f): 8:24am On Jul 12, 2010
GenBuhari:

If it concerns u so much why not pay their bill them?

Are Nigerians the only ppl who default on hospital bills? Abeg!! angry

They are not the only people who sometimes defaulted their bills, as i stated earlier, that is my own view.And if you have someone who have thesame plan,please do encourage them to be available to pay their bills . Cheating is not smart it will only create a bad image,my 2 cents.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 06, 2012
Princek12: My intelligent and wonderful people of Nairaland,

Many Nigerians who are neither legal residents nor citizens of the United States travel to the U.S. solely for the purpose of giving birth to their children for obvious reasons--to acquire USA citizenship for their newly born. It appears that a U.S. citizenship is mostly sought after by Nigerians, even more than a UK citizenship. As a matter of fact, a consular officer will deny your visa application if you show any sign of pregnancy at the interview. The USA Constitution provides that any persons born on U.S. soil is a U.S. citizen, and many Nigerians have taken advantage of this Constitutional provision. Sadly, many Nigerians come and accumulate thousands of dollars in hospital bills upon given birth, and simply abandon the bills when they leave. This has given Nigerians a very bad reputation among emergency hospitals, for some hospitals frown at many pregnant Nigerians who come to their emergency rooms while they are in labor (they are assuming that they won't pay their bills and run back to Nigeria).
The parents now take their newly born child, who is now a U.S. citizen, travel back to Nigeria and, without contributing anything to the U.S. economy, they expect that 18 years later, their child will come back to the U.S., a country to which they have paid no taxes or help develop, to benefit from several government programs provided for U.S. citizens.
Do you think that these practices is fair, especially after accumulating and ignoring a substantial hospital bill?

It is not your fault. It is because you are in yankee (i hope) that you get mouth. Why don't you come back here and give birth to your own children here. hypocrisy!!!!!!
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by bokohalal(m): 6:53pm On Oct 07, 2012
Princek12:

The way you sound you are one of those people who probably whose parents took advantage of the system when they gave birth to you, or one of those people who has traveled abroad to give birth with the intent of not paying. This is a forum in which people opine about various topics that interest them. I have every right to comment on it, and you can screw yourself if you have a problem about it. I never said they should reject patients in labor, but rather that people should at least make reasonable efforts to save and pay for their medical bills. If they can plan their visa and ticket buying to coincide with their delivery time, then maybe it cannot be an unreasonable burden for them to include paying for their medical bills in their plans. If what I say bothers you so much, you probably are one of those uncivilized people who sees no wrong in taking advantage of a system that is built on trust. And I see no difference between 419 and coming to the U.S. with the intent of accumulating medical bills repeatedly without paying for it. Same thing. You don't see a difference, so that makes you like the other millions of Nigerians who have abused the system and every other system built on trust, and it has given us a bad name. Idiot. Get the phuck outta here.

Do we have to wait until they start demanding upfront payment from nonresident Nigerian patients in U.S. hospitals, or do we have to wait till when they start asking our women to take a pregnancy test before getting a U.S. visa before we wake up? Get outta here.

See wahala. I am going to start a thread on Nigerians abroad that are owing on their credit cards. They are giving the country a bad image.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Dec 30, 2012
Its this kind of stupidity that really fascinates me grin
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by RightObgyn: 4:40pm On Aug 08, 2013
If any one ends up coming to Houston, Texas, we do recommend to come see our office for your pregnancy, www.rightobgyn.com
our doctors deliver at St. Joseph Medical Center in downtown Houston, www.sjmctx.com. We work with many international patients and assist with their payment.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by REB141(f): 9:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
GenBuhari: I say good for them!

Apart from anything else, they would be guaranteed good medical care.
. WELL WE HAVE THAT RIGHT
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by sweetbundles: 7:44am On Jul 26, 2014
Being responsible is an individual thing in my opinion. One who chooses to give birth in the States and take advantage of the system and default on one's debt is reflective of their own character and morals. It does not necessarily represent "all Nigerians'.
@ Sweetbundles
http://www.birthplusmore.com
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by anonymous6(f): 3:01pm On Jul 26, 2014
I see nothing wrong with it, as long as they respect American laws and don't use the system then its fine. I know some people who have done it and raised their kids in Nigeria but eventually came back to America, they have good moral character and don't create debt and leave it to the American government to handle.
Re: Your View about Nigerians Who Travel To USA To Give Birth For USA Citizenship? by tpia1: 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2014
Princek12: My intelligent and wonderful people of Nairaland,

Many Nigerians who are neither legal residents nor citizens of the United States travel to the U.S. solely for the purpose of giving birth to their children for obvious reasons--to acquire USA citizenship for their newly born. It appears that a U.S. citizenship is mostly sought after by Nigerians, even more than a UK citizenship. As a matter of fact, a consular officer will deny your visa application if you show any sign of pregnancy at the interview. The USA Constitution provides that any persons born on U.S. soil is a U.S. citizen, and many Nigerians have taken advantage of this Constitutional provision. Sadly, many Nigerians come and accumulate thousands of dollars in hospital bills upon given birth, and simply abandon the bills when they leave. This has given Nigerians a very bad reputation among emergency hospitals, for some hospitals frown at many pregnant Nigerians who come to their emergency rooms while they are in labor (they are assuming that they won't pay their bills and run back to Nigeria).
The parents now take their newly born child, who is now a U.S. citizen, travel back to Nigeria and, without contributing anything to the U.S. economy, they expect that 18 years later, their child will come back to the U.S., a country to which they have paid no taxes or help develop, to benefit from several government programs provided for U.S. citizens.

Do you think that these practices is fair, especially after accumulating and ignoring a substantial hospital bill?

well, if the law allows for birthright citizenship, then the rest is inconsequential, in a way.

One has to assume the reason why citizenship is given at birth, is because it is needed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Google In Igbo Language / Top 10 Yoruba Names You Never Guessed Were Arabic Names / White American Girl Speaking Yoruba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.