Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:52 AM

Aba Crippled By Robbers, All Banks Remain Closed. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Aba Crippled By Robbers, All Banks Remain Closed. (622 Views)

Ikole Police Stations Ekiti Attacked By Robbers / Fayose Donates N500000 & Okada To A Crippled Cobbler (photos) / Warri Refinery Crippled By Disrepair, Corruption, Shuts Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Aba Crippled By Robbers, All Banks Remain Closed. by jookco(m): 1:45am On Jun 04, 2010
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/june/04/national-04-06-2010-006.htm
Armed Robbery Attacks: Banks still under lock in Aba
From OKEY SAMPSON, Aba
Friday, June 04, 2010

Gov. Orji
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section
Commercial activities are gradually being crippled in Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State following the closure of banks in the area for three days running due to the menace of armed robbers.

There was an unconfirmed story on Tuesday that a leader of a criminal gang operating in the area had written some commercial banks in the city and demanded a specific amount of money which should be given to them within two days or they (commercial banks) be prepared for the worst.

At about 2 pm on that Tuesday when the rumour spread like wild fire around town, most banks in the city abruptly closed for business, leaving their customers stranded. Some of the banks officials who spoke to Daily Sun said the action was a precautionary measure as they were not prepared to take any risk.

But despite the measure banks in the city adopted, armed bandits on Wednesday, in a military style swooped on two commercial banks within the Alaoji area of Aba and carted away millions of naira, forcing few commercial banks that opened for business to close immediately.

The fear of Wednesday’s armed robbery attack was carried over to yesterday as no single commercial bank opened for business in the whole of Aba, forcing most business activities to be grounded in the city.
When Daily Sun visited some bank offices located on Ikot Ekpene, Asa, Factory and Eziukwu roads, they were all under lock and key. At First Bank in Ogbor hill, the main entrance to the bank was firmly under lock as some of their customers who came to transact one business or another were seen outside the gate in small circles, discussing their fate.

A man who claimed to have come from Bayelsa State to Aba since three days ago to cash a cheque, was yet to do that as at yesterday. According to him, “some one gave me a cheque to cash at a bank, on Port Harcourt road, Aba. As I went to cash the cheque, the bank’s entrance was under lock, and as I tried to find out from a security man attached to the bank, what was the problem, a Hummer bus and a Jeep that followed behind, pulled by and the occupants instantly opened fire and I nearly fainted. Up till now, I’m yet to cash the cheque and I don’t have money to travel back to Bayelsa”, he said.

Although some officials of the banks held a meeting with the Aba area commander of the Nigeria Police where they (officials), according to police source, were assured of adequate security, but the banks as at the time of filing the report were yet to re-open as their helmsmen were said to be insisting on a more concrete assurance from government.
Re: Aba Crippled By Robbers, All Banks Remain Closed. by mahal(m): 5:59am On Jun 04, 2010
I thought their retarded Governor recently granted amnesty to Armed robbers and other sundry criminals
Re: Aba Crippled By Robbers, All Banks Remain Closed. by safeact(m): 6:29am On Jun 04, 2010
very sad. I wonder if #15000 salary that is to be approved by senate will solve dis problem. Its a mock / larpse on d security of d nation even after they hv written to say they would come and yet , If it is a case of collecting #20 from motorists, they will know how to cork their riffles! Who knows if they ar not dsame people perpetrating dis act, after one police man now carries two guns? Woo to nigerian securities. Cowards and arm robbers!

(1) (Reply)

Vacate Speaker's Seat Reps Tell Bankole Our Lives Under Threat -bankole's Aide / Set To Clip Babangida's Wings / 13,000 Ex-militants For Varsity Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.