Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,228 members, 7,825,889 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? (38067 Views)

What Is The Best Course To Study As A Science Student.? / What Types Of Engineering Course That Will Make You Rich / 10-Hour Lecture In Engineering Course In AKSU Ahead Of Degree Exams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by lanrezy: 7:11am On Jun 19, 2018
The best is actually EEE....undisputed..... no limitations, you can virtually work anywhere....and very interesting
I rep EEE ,FUTA
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by striker07(m): 7:35am On Jun 19, 2018
Do computer science you won't regret it,though it is usually not in faculty of engineering

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by kowasco(m): 7:50am On Jun 19, 2018
@frostybutter what you are saying is i should go civil
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by FrostyButter: 9:09am On Jun 19, 2018
kowasco:
@frostybutter what you are saying is i should go civil

I cant tell you what to choose but i believe the best engineering to study in Nigeria is civil engineering... The country is a developing country... You learn building codes and strength of materials peculiar to Nigeria.

I can go on and on...

It all depends on where your interest lie.

If you are a great lover of the indoor, comp, outdoor - civil.
Bye.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Arewa28: 9:34am On Jun 19, 2018
You can sell your comedy skit and make money

VISITS: https://barewa.com.ng/make-money-by-selling-your-comedy-clips-see-details/
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by CrazeMan69(m): 9:36am On Jun 19, 2018
All this children wey wan rush into professional courses be sure you can handle it oo before next year we start seeing posts like “Is it possible to graduate when I have a CGPA of 2.3 in first year” undecided

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by samtee37(m): 9:37am On Jun 19, 2018
PLEASE!!! I'M A GEOLOGY STUDENT IN NEED OF "IT PLACEMENT" IN ABUJA PRECISELY...
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by fastlane84: 9:37am On Jun 19, 2018
kowasco:
which is the best engineering course to study in nigeria base on employment and salary a friend mine said it petroleum engineering
which the you is the best

petrol..wetin......so we thought then

pls go for elect/elect engineering......
also during hols.....learn alternative to power supply (inverter, solar etc)

wish u the best
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by abike12(f): 9:37am On Jun 19, 2018
My vote is for chemical engineering.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by giddykay: 9:41am On Jun 19, 2018
Futurecrown:
There is nothing like best Engineering course, the choice is in you and sequel to your epistle , any engineering discipline could be a petroleum Engineer in oil and gas firm cause I had two Uncle that studied EEE and work with Shlumberger and Exxon Mobil now. You need to think flexibility and versatility of a course before chosen it but if I were you I would choose one of these EEE, MEE, Mechatronics, Computer and Chemical Engineering...... And note that Civic Engineering is good but to practice it need some time and patience but the aforementioned one can land you a job at any Firm.... Shalom.
your wisdom will not drain up by Gods grace.

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by lafuria1(m): 9:43am On Jun 19, 2018
it depends, if you want to work in oil and gas, mechanical engineering is the best, next best is Electrical, next best is Chemical in that order.

In most oil and gas project, you will need the mechanical engineer and electrical engineer, the go hand in hand

Civil is good but not versatile
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Timothy3113(m): 9:43am On Jun 19, 2018
Biomedical and mechatronics is the future in engineering.

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:44am On Jun 19, 2018
kowasco:
which is the best engineering course to study in nigeria base on employment and salary a friend mine said it petroleum engineering
Am a graduate of petroleum Engineering, that course isn't wide like other engineering courses. Go for electrical, chemical, mechanical or civil.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by ogakizito(m): 9:45am On Jun 19, 2018
kowasco:

whatever you do, make a good living, live comfortably and be happy
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 9:48am On Jun 19, 2018
striker07:
Do computer science you won't regret it,though it is usually not in faculty of engineering
I would rather advice him to go for Mathematics than computer science. Mathematics is the best course in Sciences. They need them in all sectors.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 19, 2018
dprpikin:

Personally, I don't know of any school that offers Mechatronics in the undergraduate level. Most offer it at the postgraduate level.

Mech Eng is still very very relevant, and will continue to be in the foreseeable future.

UNIPORT
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Holargyde(m): 9:50am On Jun 19, 2018
OP, the advice of your friend to study Pet Engr wasn't well thought. I will advice you to go for broader disciplines like Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical , Mechatronics. Pet Engr exclusively deals with extraction of crude oil and most PEs by profession didn't study Pet Engr as an undergraduate degree.
I was studying Pet Engr earlier before I switched to Chemical and its paying off

2 Likes

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 19, 2018
Civil Engineering with future specialty in Structural Engineer!

Thank me later.

Go to the multinationals and service companies, it’s usually 1 Petroleum Engineer to 10 Civil Engineers, hence, availability of jobs.

As a Civil Engineer, irrespective of your grade, you can fit into any of the following departments in IOCs as a Staff or Contractor: Real Estates, Utilities, Maintenance, Central Engineering, etc but as a Petroleum Engineer, you are only limited to the highly competitive Exploration and Production Departments and you may need a First Class Grade.

As a Civil/Structural Engineer, you can easily go into private practice by designing structures (buildings, etc), supervising construction projects, stamp and seal documents (if COREN Certified), etc, but as a Petroleum Engineer, barrier to entry into private practice are enormous. You may not have the financial muscle for a startup.

As a Civil Engineer, you may choose to go into entrepreneurship by setting up startups that can prove your competency to your prospective clients. Examples are Block Moulding Industry, Interlocking Stones Moulding, BRC Sales and Supplies etc. As a Petroleum Engineer, will you build a Christmas Tree (Well Head) in your sitting Room?

Guy, other viable options are Architecture and Building Technology. With these two, you can start earning as an undergrad.

No go study Petroleum Engineering because you wan work for oil company, at the end of the day, even “groundnut oil company”, you may not see.

A word is enough for the wise.

4 Likes

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by dprpikin: 9:52am On Jun 19, 2018
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by brainbox80: 9:54am On Jun 19, 2018
anochuko01:

job search ke! never again. I'll rather go through wall of bricks to establish something for myself.
I love manufacturing. looking at creating gadgets that'll solve indigenous and global problems. Stop importation from west and China.
but that's still later in the future. I'm currently into TechEducation, and we integrate electronics, mechanics, product design, 3D printing and prospectively programming to teach secondary school students how to make stuffs like solar lamps, rechargeable lamps, power banks, small robots and a couple of other stuffs.
not so big yet though
NICE PROJECT YOU GUYS ARE DOING, BRO. I DID EEE BUT BEING OUT OF JOB FOR SOME TIME NOW. I NEED A TEAM I CAN WORK WITH RIGHT NOW. CAN I ADD MY BRAIN TO YOUR TEAM, PLS? REACH ME ON 09025586934
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by comos: 9:58am On Jun 19, 2018
go for mechanical Engineering. you have a lot of option to choose/practice when you graduate
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Kceefresh19: 9:59am On Jun 19, 2018
What about Metallurgical Engineering
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by kenlinzo(m): 10:04am On Jun 19, 2018
Futurecrown:
There is nothing like best Engineering course, the choice is in you and sequel to your epistle , any engineering discipline could be a petroleum Engineer in oil and gas firm cause I had two Uncle that studied EEE and work with Shlumberger and Exxon Mobil now. You need to think flexibility and versatility of a course before chosen it but if I were you I would choose one of these EEE, MEE, Mechatronics, Computer and Chemical Engineering...... And note that Civic Engineering is good but to practice it need some time and patience but the aforementioned one can land you a job at any Firm.... Shalom.

TRUE TALK......PETROLEUM ENGINEERING, CIVIL ENGINEERING AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING TO ME ARE MORE OF LIKE DISCIPLINE SPECIFIC COURSES UNLIKE ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING THAT CAN WORK IN ANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED DISCIPLINE........AN EEE FIRM CAN DO WITHOUT EITHER OF THE AFOREMENTIONED ENGINEERS BUT THE AFOREMENTIONED DISCIPLINES NEED EEE IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. SO I WILL ADVICE TO GO FOR EEE.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by seyiojomu(m): 10:05am On Jun 19, 2018
Have you heard about agricultural engineering. Not saying it's the best, but it's almost all encompassing and when you meet people that know it's worth, you will be honoured

2 Likes

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by bimgo: 10:06am On Jun 19, 2018
Electrical engineering
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by ogene007: 10:07am On Jun 19, 2018
kowasco:
What do you see yourself doing in say ten years time? Answering such a question would help you in deciding. If your interest is in oil and gas, you should be looking at civil, EE, ME or chemical engineering. In addition, you should also be looking at geology and physics under the physical sciences. It is important to note that a professional masters degree is highly recommended such as IPS in Uniport.
If your interest is in telecoms, any of the engineering/physical sciences is more than appropriate. Here, you would need to undergo a lot of vendor/vendor non-specific trainings inorder to fit into the environment. Vendors here are Huawei, Alcatel/Nokia, Ericsson, Cisco,Juniper etc. Vendor non-specific are stuffs like Java, Python, and other languages that equip you with the skills for the value added services (VAS) section of the telecoms industry.
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by d0pekellz(m): 10:08am On Jun 19, 2018
I would say civil engineering, because the are self reliant when they graduate given the high rate of unemployment in the country. I studied mechanical engr, and work with a friend who is a civil engr. he's relatively young, same as i and very comfortable.

1 Like

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by rashfeezco(m): 10:09am On Jun 19, 2018
guys pls what do u see about remote senseing and gio-sceinces information system quick response is needed please
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 19, 2018
dprpikin:

What happened to UNIPORT?

They offers mechatronic undergraduate level
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Soblow(m): 10:15am On Jun 19, 2018
Mechanical engineering and electrical engineering
Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by Walelavender(m): 10:15am On Jun 19, 2018
lafuria1:
it depends, if you want to work in oil and gas, mechanical engineering is the best, next best is Electrical, next best is Chemical in that order.

In most oil and gas project, you will need the mechanical engineer and electrical engineer, the go hand in hand

Civil is good but not versatile
Civil Engr'g not versatile in Nigeria? You must be kidding me grin
Get to find out the highest number of applicants who want to be Corporate Members of the Nigerian Society of Engineers. The industry is vast! Nigeria, with the huge deficit in infrastructures cannot help it, but need Civil Engineers and other allied professionals to fix them. Expatriates alone can't do this. Structures (built industry &consulting),highway,Geotechnics ,Water/Irrigation infrastructures. The COREN Assembly this year will be discussing the "Nigerian built industry". Don't discourage the young lad pls. Wherever he finds passion,let his pendulum swing to.

2 Likes

Re: The Best Engineering Course To Study In Nigeria? by AkpaMgbor(m): 10:15am On Jun 19, 2018
nobody has mentioned agricultural engineering..it's even broader than mechanical engineering...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

These Schools Won’t Give You Admission If You Don’t Have Credit In Yoruba / Ogun Students Waylay, Beat Teacher Who Stopped Them From Cheating / Benue Poly Students Suffer Flood From Early Morning Downpour (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.