Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,951 members, 7,817,791 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue (9394 Views)

My 2010 Ml 350 4matic / Help My 2010 Toyota Corolla Is Having Undetectable Problem / P0500 And P0116 In Toyota Camry 2008 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by HenriXI(m): 1:34am On Jun 25, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Curious question #1...Tell me a little about your brake light...is it permanently ON or does it only come on in response to braking input?

Share with me the data that you intended to share originally, my email is in my signature if it needs to be emailed, otherwise you may wish to post it here

I'm sorry I've been off for some days now... I've actually been dealing with the money I've lost over the past 3 weeks trying to find solutions to my car issues...

I had the car checked by Mike @Kingreign and he confirmed it's a transmission issue...

Yes!!! I got a new transmission. It was carefully installed (with two gallons of original Toyota WS oil @17k each - that set my account about 150k backwards)

And the result was undesirably the same...

It shifts from 1-3 and stays there. Same P0500 code.

To respond to your questions, Yes the brake lights come up only when i step on the brakes.
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by HenriXI(m): 1:49am On Jun 25, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Curious question #2...Tell me a little about your speedometer needle...does it work? Does it behave normally or eratically?

The speedometer needle works fine - That's obvious in the picture i posted earlier. And it doesn't behave erratic.

But there's something i noticed today.

I tried viewing the Vehicle Speed live data from the Engine/ECU part of my scan tool, but it registered 0 mph even when the vehicle was in motion... (Picture attached)

N/B: If i view the live data from the ABS/TRAC/VSC part of my scan tool, the vehicle speed registers correctly and exactly as it is on my vehicle speedometer.

With these findings its fair to say that the vehicle isn't getting signals from the transmission mounted VSS at all...

N/B: I'm using a new transmission and the VSS that came with it.

How do i proceed from here

Should i ask an auto electrician to strip the wire harness all the way to check for frayed wiring

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 3:33am On Jun 25, 2018
HenriXI:

I'm sorry I've been off for some days now... I've actually been dealing with the money I've lost over the past 3 weeks trying to find solutions to my car issues...
I understand, I work upwards of 18 hours a day chasing the same thing.

I had the car checked by Mike @King.reign and he confirmed it's a transmission issue...

Yes!!! I got a new transmission. It was carefully installed (with two gallons of original Toyota WS oil @17k each - that set my account about 150k backwards)
Transmission issue he said? Did he also procure the transmission for you? Who did the install for you? Did you keep the old transmission? I noticed you have come online since then...you should have reached out to me all along. See my advice in a similar scenario https://www.nairaland.com/4193071/electrical-faults-brain-box-burnt#62665475 which may be summed up in the words: If the problem were a new transmission, then the new transmission should have cleared the problem.

And the result was undesirably the same... It shifts from 1-3 and stays there. Same P0500 code.

This raises the question...was it
1. a Transmission issue?
2. something else?

To respond to your questions, Yes the brake lights come up only when i step on the brakes.
That part of the circuit could be bad and could cause your problem, it is now ruled out
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 4:05am On Jun 25, 2018
HenriXI:

The speedometer needle works fine - That's obvious in the picture i posted earlier. And it doesn't behave erratic.
Great.

But there's something i noticed today.

I tried viewing the Vehicle Speed live data from the Engine/ECU part of my scan tool, but it registered 0 mph even when the vehicle was in motion... (Picture attached)

N/B: If i view the live data from the ABS/TRAC/VSC part of my scan tool, the vehicle speed registers correctly and exactly as it is on my vehicle speedometer.

With these findings its fair to say that the vehicle isn't getting signals from the transmission mounted VSS at all...
I am leaning towards the conclusion reached by my dear brother autologic who said and I quote:

You have modules communication issues via the instrument cluster ,PCM is unable to retrieve VSS successfully from abs modules and this could be probably due to instrument cluster issue
To confirm this ,use a professional scan tool to scan the PCM module and confirm if you a have corresponding VSS values that is same as abs VSS.
Note that ABS is the source of VSS for other modules and the instrument cluster is the gateway modules for other the vss in that particular model of vehicle.
Italics mine
Were you assisted in anyway by a third party, either by suggestion or direction or nudging that you should compare values between the ECU speed data and the ABS speed data other than perhaps by the above quote?

Let me make it very plain what your issue seems to me to be:

1. You are telling me that what the ECU sees is different from what the ABS/TRAC/VSC sees, which seems to indicate that
2. Put another way, there is no communication between the ECU and the ABS unit?
3. If that is the case, was a new transmission really your problem? Because you have not moved from your last stop despite the time and the expense

N/B: I'm using a new transmission and the VSS that came with it.
The more I look at it, the more, I find it hard to believe that the diagnosis administered for your pains was appropriate.

How do i proceed from here

Let me address this in a separate post.

Should i ask an auto electrician to strip the wire harness all the way to check for frayed wiring

Not yet.
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 4:22am On Jun 25, 2018
How do we move from here?

1. The speed sensor input (wiring between the Skid Control ECU and the Instrument Cluster aka combination meter) needs to be checked, see picture 1

2. The speed sensor output (wiring between the Main Body ECU, the sliding roof ECU, the ECM, and the Instrument Cluster aka combination meter Junction Box, the navigation receiver assembly, the radio receiver, the tire pressure warning ECUs as well as the Stereo Component amplifier) needs to be checked

To my mind, this is where your problem lies and not in a transmission replacement

3. What makes you certain that your vehicle is Canadian? Did you run a VIN check?

Even if you run a VIN check, it may be necessary to run the VIN check against manufacturer databases of vehicles of your make/model with known faults? So please send me your VIN via WhatsApp or Email so I can run a check as I earlier requested, I do not recommend posting VINs online.

I strongly believe that the transmission was not procured pro bono, neither was it installed pro bono. I stand to be corrected though.

How much are you willing to pay so I can give you clear and concise instructions so that you can get this off your back?

While you consider that, remember that to the best of my knowledge and belief, no other Nigerian automotive technician on nairaland has provided the iron-clad guarantee that I offer when you engage my services.

1 Share

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by mayor2013: 7:55am On Jun 25, 2018
AutoElectNG:
How do we move from here?

1. The speed sensor input (wiring between the Skid Control ECU and the Instrument Cluster aka combination meter) needs to be checked, see picture 1

2. The speed sensor output (wiring between the Main Body ECU, the sliding roof ECU, the ECM, and the Instrument Cluster aka combination meter Junction Box, the navigation receiver assembly, the radio receiver, the tire pressure warning ECUs as well as the Stereo Component amplifier) needs to be checked

To my mind, this is where your problem lies and not in a transmission replacement

3. What makes you certain that your vehicle is Canadian? Did you run a VIN check?

Even if you run a VIN check, it may be necessary to run the VIN check against manufacturer databases of vehicles of your make/model with known faults? So please send me your VIN via WhatsApp or Email so I can run a check as I earlier requested, I do not recommend posting VINs online.

I strongly believe that the transmission was not procured pro bono, neither was it installed pro bono. I stand to be corrected though.

How much are you willing to pay so I can give you clear and concise instructions so that you can get this off your back?

While you consider that, remember that to the best of my knowledge and belief, no other Nigerian automotive technician on nairaland has provided the iron-clad guarantee that I offer when you engage my service.

@ the bolded. Do you need to discredit your fellow human just to be heard. I just tire for Nigerians

4 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 8:12am On Jun 25, 2018
mayor2013:

@ the bolded. Do you need to discredit your fellow human just to be heard. I just tire for Nigerians

Did I discredit anyone in particular?

First of all

Study Hyundai, when everyone else was offering 5 year, 60,000 mile warranty

Hyundai decided to offer 10 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

I am doing exact same thing.

Whatever I repair, I will back up for the next 6 months and 12,000 miles, if it goes bad I will fix it, diagnose it, and replace the bad part and extend your warranty by the number of days it takes me to get it fixed.

That is my marketing strategy it sets me apart from those who want to take money but refuse to stand by their work.

Shall I share with you the adverts Hyundai put up then?

Secondly, I have studied the relevant documentation and it does not seem to me that his transmission is faulty or was every faulty in the first place.

Do I owe him a duty to tell him?

One more detail, I reached out to him in private but he never responded.

Do I owe him a duty to show why he should do business with me?

I guess I commended you and autologic and even recommended a demigod on this forum who decided to react in a most uncivilized manner.

Tell me again, did I discredit anyone?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by thebigkendo(m): 8:13am On Jun 25, 2018
mayor2013:

While you consider that, remember that to the best of my knowledge and belief, no other Nigerian automotive technician on nairaland has provided the iron-clad guarantee that I offer when you engage my service.

Why are you taking it personal? Read the bolded again, Everybody is entitled to his opinion, I don't see anything wrong with what he posted.

NB: For cartalk no be by claiming title, Na workings go show who be who grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 9:18am On Jun 25, 2018
Did Hyundai discredit anyone?
Hyundai has America's Best Warranty

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by Kashif(m): 9:42am On Jun 25, 2018
HenriXI:

I had the car checked by Mike and he confirmed it's a transmission issue...

And the result was undesirably the same...

It shifts from 1-3 and stays there. Same P0500 code.

Wow!

You need a good electrician who can scope signals. Automatics won't work well without a clean VS signal. The signal is generated, but it either doesn't get to your PCM, or gets there too weak for the PCM to make any meaning out of it.

To all technicians here, don't think of replacing any gear without establishing what the computer is commanding first. If there are no flares, you are most likely down with electrical issue(s).
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 9:44am On Jun 25, 2018
Kashif:

Wow!

You need a good electrician who can scope signals. Automatics won't work well without a clean VS signal. The signal is generated, but it either doesn't get to your PCM, or gets there too weak for the PCM to make any meaning out of it.

To all technicians here, don't think of replacing any gear without establishing what the computer is commanding first. If there are no flares, you are most likely down with electrical issue(s).

Oscilloscope?

Am I on the right path to sort out the electricals first?
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by Kashif(m): 9:52am On Jun 25, 2018
AutoElectNG:

Oscilloscope?

Am I on the right path to sort out the electricals first?

Yes oscilloscope, and yes, you are on the right path. The problem is purely electrical. Once it is sorted, the car and owner are happy.

Oscilloscope will tell you if you are having a sine wave where you should be having a square wave, and vise versa. It will also tell you if your signal is distorted or not. It takes over from where digital meters stop.
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 1:20am On Jul 02, 2018
HenriXI:
Hi Guys,

Please i need help with my 2010 corolla S P0500 (Vehicle Speed sensor) issue.

Since i got the vehicle August last year, everything has been functioning well except for the ABS, VSC OFF (blinking) & skid control lights on the dashboard. My mechanic diagnosed the vehicle and told me the ABS Pump Assembly was bad and needed replacement... (the code was C1246 - Malfunction in master cylinder pressure sensor). All these didn't affect the vehicle performance except that it would skid when i push hard on the brakes.

Recently I've replaced the ABS Pump Assembly but i now have a P0500 code and my car only shifts between gear 1 and 3. I sometimes have very low RPM when I'm idling too.

Please i need some advice on what to do cuz I've tried the following...
1) I've put back my previous ABS Pump Assembly and it's still the same (now with the abs lights on and check light on too - P0500 & C1246 codes). N/B the new ABS Pump Assembly has the same numbers on them (44540-02110 89541-12450. 133800-4290 QK.)

2) I've replaced the gearbox speed sensor (shown in the picture attached). And it still didn't solve the problem.

3). I've had an auto electrician trace the wires from the gearbox sensor all the way to where it enters the brainbox and he has confirmed there's continuity.

4) All the wheel speed sensors are okay and they are reading correctly (As shown on Live data on a diagnosis machine - Picture attached).

5) I've replaced my vehicle ECU (as directed by my mechanic - he suggested they might have interchanged polarities when they tried jumpstarting the vehicle after i parked it for a long time) and it still didn't solve the problem.

Please i need your inputs cuz I've spent money trying lots of ideas and the latest of them all is that my mechanic asked me to get a new gearbox.

My RPM get's high up to 3600 @ 100km/hr and even up to 4500 @ 120km/hr... Very abnormal

Please if you've experienced this kinda problem, share how you got out of it.

N/B: My odometer wasn't engineered, there's actually 103k now - display ink issue i guess.

Thanks in advance.

OP, these are my final words on this thread, you asked for advice but have consistently ignored well meaning advice.

I will only reopen communication when I see (please see picture below).

Now for the benefit of anyone else who has a 2010 Corolla with P0500:

This is what you need to know.

First, take note that repairs will require access to factory information.

Second, the factory diagnostic information is different depending on the engine installed in your Corolla.

Third, it is not sufficient to search for hits in the open internet, the information therein is incomplete at best and irrelevant/outdated at worst.

Fourth, P0500 is a generic code and implementation varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and consequently testing and fault isolation procedures can never be the same.

Fifth, due to copyright concerns and indeed respect for copyright, I can only provide highlights....

These are the highlights:

41 documents were responsive to the search.

4 of which are super relevant, the rest address the issue of looking at symptoms not individually but as part of a system, repairing cars today requires that the automotive technician deploy systems thinking and not symptoms thinking.

The information was last modified/updated on: 4-17-2018, that was just 3 months ago for a 2010 car! Those of us with PDFs gotten off the internet would most definitely miss the update!, the update is not even in PDF format but HTTP.

There are 3 other related codes.

The factory manual lists 4 areas to check to resolve this issue and the transmission is not one of them!

From Day 1, I have always made the point that if you bring your repair to me, I will do it exactly the same way as the manufacturer would or a dealer would, I would play by the book, I cannot imagine any other way to fix a car aright.

And that is why my brand specific threads are aptly titled Dealer-Level Diagnostics.

By the way, I am cheaper than the average dealer but costlier than the average shade tree mechanic, but I stand behind my work!

May I respectfully bow out of here.

cc: Uboma

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:15am On Jul 02, 2018
HenriXI:
Hi Guys,

Please i need help with my 2010 corolla S P0500 (Vehicle Speed sensor) issue.

Since i got the vehicle August last year, everything has been functioning well except for the ABS, VSC OFF (blinking) & skid control lights on the dashboard. My mechanic diagnosed the vehicle and told me the ABS Pump Assembly was bad and needed replacement... (the code was C1246 - Malfunction in master cylinder pressure sensor). All these didn't affect the vehicle performance except that it would skid when i push hard on the brakes.

Recently I've replaced the ABS Pump Assembly but i now have a P0500 code and my car only shifts between gear 1 and 3. I sometimes have very low RPM when I'm idling too.

Please i need some advice on what to do cuz I've tried the following...
1) I've put back my previous ABS Pump Assembly and it's still the same (now with the abs lights on and check light on too - P0500 & C1246 codes). N/B the new ABS Pump Assembly has the same numbers on them (44540-02110 89541-12450. 133800-4290 QK.)

2) I've replaced the gearbox speed sensor (shown in the picture attached). And it still didn't solve the problem.

3). I've had an auto electrician trace the wires from the gearbox sensor all the way to where it enters the brainbox and he has confirmed there's continuity.

4) All the wheel speed sensors are okay and they are reading correctly (As shown on Live data on a diagnosis machine - Picture attached).

5) I've replaced my vehicle ECU (as directed by my mechanic - he suggested they might have interchanged polarities when they tried jumpstarting the vehicle after i parked it for a long time) and it still didn't solve the problem.

Please i need your inputs cuz I've spent money trying lots of ideas and the latest of them all is that my mechanic asked me to get a new gearbox.

My RPM get's high up to 3600 @ 100km/hr and even up to 4500 @ 120km/hr... Very abnormal

Please if you've experienced this kinda problem, share how you got out of it.

N/B: My odometer wasn't engineered, there's actually 103k now - display ink issue i guess.

Thanks in advance.

replace abs pump (again) replace transmission (it is slipping) thank me later.
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by Kashif(m): 8:57am On Jul 02, 2018
AutoElectNG:

OP, these are my final words on this thread, you asked for advice but have consistently ignored well meaning advice.

I will only reopen communication when I see (please see picture below).

Now for the benefit of anyone else who has a 2010 Corolla with P0500:

This is what you need to know.

First, take note that repairs will require access to factory information.

Second, the factory diagnostic information is different depending on the engine installed in your Corolla.

Third, it is not sufficient to search for hits in the open internet, the information therein is incomplete at best and irrelevant/outdated at worst.

Fourth, P0500 is a generic code and implementation varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and consequently testing and fault isolation procedures can never be the same.

Fifth, due to copyright concerns and indeed respect for copyright, I can only provide highlights....

These are the highlights:

41 documents were responsive to the search.

4 of which are super relevant, the rest address the issue of looking at symptoms not individually but as part of a system, repairing cars today requires that the automotive technician deploy systems thinking and not symptoms thinking.

The information was last modified/updated on: 4-17-2018, that was just 3 months ago for a 2010 car! Those of us with PDFs gotten off the internet would most definitely miss the update!, the update is not even in PDF format but HTTP.

There are 3 other related codes.

The factory manual lists 4 areas to check to resolve this issue and the transmission is not one of them!

From Day 1, I have always made the point that if you bring your repair to me, I will do it exactly the same way as the manufacturer would or a dealer would, I would play by the book, I cannot imagine any other way to fix a car aright.

And that is why my brand specific threads are aptly titled Dealer-Level Diagnostics.

By the way, I am cheaper than the average dealer but costlier than the average shade tree mechanic, but I stand behind my work!

May I respectfully bow out of here.

cc: Uboma

Don't apply everything you read from manuals. That is the reason many Dealerships are not able to fix many problems. With time, you will realise that you apply what the manual says in a particular issue, and still not resolve it. Experience thought me!
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 9:02am On Jul 02, 2018
Kashif:

Don't apply everything you read from manuals. That is the reason many Dealerships are not able to fix many problems. With time, you will realize that you apply what the manual says in a particular issue, and still not resolve it. Experience taught me!

I appreciate your comments.

The bolded is what I alluded to when I referred to manuals being updated, and PDFs circulating on the internet not necessarily being the current position of the manufacturer on the best way approach a repair...if a document that was initially created 2009 is revised as recently as 2018.

I do look beyond manuals, I subscribe to technician only repair resources and at least one more source.

I always go through all three before deciding on an attack plan.

I think I alluded to this up there or failing that in a related thread.

I recall distinctly that once a guy couldn't get his vehicle fixed until someone with an electrical electronics background went took on the matter, using systems thinking, resolved the problem, published it in the papers, and Toyota had to overrule the dealer by giving them goodwill they had earlier been denied by the dealer due to the potential backlash.

In a second instance, a solution found by an ordinary user was ratified by Toyota who adopted it as their own, solving a problem that had defied dealerships and it became part of official Toyota repair procedures.

While I go by the book, I appreciate that not everything that happens in real-world has been anticipated by the book, in other words, I fully appreciate the limitations of going by the book and I am guided accordingly.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 4:30pm On Jul 02, 2018
Kashif:

Don't apply everything you read from manuals. That is the reason many Dealerships are not able to fix many problems. With time, you will realise that you apply what the manual says in a particular issue, and still not resolve it. Experience thought me!
Permit me to quote you again.

I have followed Hyundai factory documentation to a fault and run into a bind which was only resolved through consultation with my betters.

More details on my Hyundai thread one of these days.

Just validating your position.

There can be errors BUT it remains the most authoritative source that notwithstanding

1 Like

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by HenriXI(m): 7:15pm On Jul 02, 2018
Thank you very much Guys for the inputs and assistance you've offered me through this time...

It was really a rough time for me cuz i did the paying (for the various attempts) while we all did the learning...

@AutoElectNG, please pardon me for not updating this post as often as i should have done. Please put yourself in my shoes. (I've replaced 2 front wheel speed sensors @30k, ABS Pump Assembly @65k, 2 transmission VSS @25k each, the transmission itself @100k + 2 4 litres of WS Gear oil @34k and the Instrument Cluster @30k). Bros, i needed time to recuperate...

Well, the issue was actually the Instrument cluster... After replacing the instrument cluster, everything worked fine - meaning my old transmission and everything else was working fine.

It's really hard troubleshooting these modern semi-complex electrical and computer controlled vehicles. If this is the case with a small 2010 Toyota Corolla, then what would be the case on more complex brands like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and the likes...

It's a learning curve and I'm sure someone out there will see this post early enough and not have to go through what i went through.

Let's i forget, please link me up to buyers for my transmission. Help me get some money back.

You can reach me on 08033149441.

Once again, Thank you for everything. I appreciate.

My current Instrument cluster is attached in the picture here... Sorry i took the picture at night and YES!!! on the express... Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by mayor2013: 7:29pm On Jul 02, 2018
HenriXI:
Thank you very much Guys for the inputs and assistance you've offered me through this time...

It was really a rough time for me cuz i did the paying (for the various attempts) while we all did the learning...

@AutoElectNG, please pardon me for not updating this post as often as i should have done. Please put yourself in my shoes. (I've replaced 2 front wheel speed sensors @30k, ABS Pump Assembly @65k, 2 transmission VSS @25k each, the transmission itself @100k + 2 4 litres of WS Gear oil @34k and the Instrument Cluster @30k). Bros, i needed time to recuperate...

Well, the issue was actually the Instrument cluster... After replacing the instrument cluster, everything worked fine - meaning my old transmission and everything else was working fine.

It's really hard troubleshooting these modern semi-complex electrical and computer controlled vehicles. If this is the case with a small 2010 Toyota Corolla, then what would be the case on more complex brands like Mercedes Benz, BMW, Audi and the likes...

It's a learning curve and I'm sure someone out there will see this post early enough and not have to go through what i went through.

Let's i forget, please link me up to buyers for my transmission. Help me get some money back.

My current Instrument cluster is attached in the picture here... Sorry i took the picture at night and YES!!! on the express... Lol.

Congrats. I told you that was one area( combination Meter)you failed to check up. Good to know it works fine now wink
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 7:30pm On Jul 02, 2018
HenriXI:

HenriXI... I know what it means to be in your shoes, why did I undertake formal training to become an automotive technician?

I have always loved electronics, I have always loved cars, and I was not exactly comfortable with the way the technicians were handling the issues I was having with my cars.

I often had to educate them, and then I noticed that my background in IT was what they lacked, and cars were becoming more and more computerized, so I dived in.

I contacted you immediately via PM after my first post, to share with you privately the information that I ended up sharing publicly.

Those of us in the habit of ignoring PMs, please respond to PMs, they may be well-intentioned.

I am so grateful that you have found time to vindicate me and my approach.

I was also taught to try least invasive techniques first, and not most invasive techniques first.

Spend the least you can to solve an issue first, and not the most you can to solve an issue first!

Had you reached out to me, I would have saved you unnecessary expense.

But I am happy that it has ended well for you, and never forget this, always consult factory documentation!

Let me conclude by stating once again, thank you for saying it yourself that it was indeed an instrument cluster (combination meter) issue and not a transmission issue!

Thank you again for vindicating my position that you should have kept the other transmission and not pawned it away for next to nothing.

What many technicians fail to acknowledge is this, there are decision trees, and following those decision trees helps to point one in the direction of the actually faulty item, and that it should not be a matter of guesswork deciding what is faulty, but it should rather be a scientific and rational decision determined by either mathematics, electronics, hydraulics and sometimes mechanics, these value are not sentimental, they will remain what they are irrespective of skin color, tribe, or tongue.

Cheers!

Let me also extend a hand of fellowship to my very able brothers, Mayor2013 and and Autologic who were right on the mark with their diagnosis, and most respectfully request LUDATRAVELS to see how the matter was finally resolved given his position on the matters therein.

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:18pm On Jul 02, 2018
a simple test drive could have ruled out transmission. A slipping gear is not hard to notice.

I recently replace a transmission for same type of vehicle, same code but gear slipped when driving.

Congrats O.P.

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by Cosplay: 9:38pm On Jul 02, 2018
AutoElectNG:

HenriXI... I know what it means to be in your shoes, why did I undertake formal training to become an automotive technician?

I have always loved electronics, I have always loved cars, and I was not exactly comfortable with the way the technicians were handling the issues I was having with my cars.

I often had to educate them, and then I noticed that my background in IT was what they lacked, and cars were becoming more and more computerized, so I dived in.

I contacted you immediately via PM after my first post, to share with you privately the information that I ended up sharing publicly.

Those of us in the habit of ignoring PMs, please respond to PMs, they may be well-intentioned.

I am so grateful that you have found time to vindicate me and my approach.

I was also taught to try least invasive techniques first, and not most invasive techniques first.

Spend the least you can to solve an issue first, and not the most you can to solve an issue first!

Had you reached out to me, I would have saved you unnecessary expense.

But I am happy that it has ended well for you, and never forget this, always consult factory documentation!

Let me conclude by stating once again, thank you for saying it yourself that it was indeed an instrument cluster (combination meter) issue and not a transmission issue!

Thank you again for vindicating my position that you should have kept the other transmission and not pawned it away for next to nothing.

What many technicians fail to acknowledge is this, there are decision trees, and following those decision trees helps to point one in the direction of the actually faulty item, and that it should not be a matter of guesswork deciding what is faulty, but it should rather be a scientific and rational decision determined by either mathematics, electronics, hydraulics and sometimes mechanics, these value are not sentimental, they will remain what they are irrespective of skin color, tribe, or tongue.

Cheers!

Let me also extend a hand of fellowship to my very able brothers, Mayor2013 and and Autologic who were right on the mark with their diagnosis, and most respectfully request LUDATRAVELS to see how the matter was finally resolved given his position on the matters therein.

Here we go again. A self-congratulatory victory lap.

Your expertise appears considerable, but you may wish to consider the following:

Sometimes 2 words go much further than 200.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 4:40am On Jul 03, 2018
The issue of consulting factory documentation before making repairs is contentious.

Here is Toyota's expressly stated position:

Verify open recalls on vehicles prior to performing repairs.

Confirm applicable open Special Service Campaigns (SSCs) or Safety Recalls (SRs)

Confirm also if it is a salvage vehicle.

Deny New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage for Salvage titles.

Doing all the above requires access to factory documentation.

For a repair to meet with the standards set by the vehicle manufacturer, it has to begin and if care is not taken, end with factory documentation.

That is how it is done in the West.
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by radautoworks: 5:14am On Jul 03, 2018
Just a word of caution to the OP. All you had to do was take it somewhere competent for diagnosis. Any reputable place would have known immediately it had nothing to do with the transmission. It is a guessing game when diagnosing a car sight unseen.

You learned a valuable lesson about trying to be cheap up front. Take it to a reputable place with warranties and your problem would have been solved weeks ago.

Yes, we have a repair shop but that's beside the point.
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by LUDATRAVELS(m): 8:49am On Jul 03, 2018
I wonder why Mr glorify kazeem sorry kingreign grin has been quiet ever since .
Where are the demeanors when you need them most .
@HenriXI hope you are adequately compensated for buying the gear you don't need

8 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by fishing: 3:40pm On Jul 04, 2018
Glad you resolved issue.

Was the old gear box kept or disposed at a ridiculous price.

Lessons learnt
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by deathwing(m): 4:23pm On Jul 04, 2018
HendriXI, This has been an illuminating thread.
I'm really sorry about all the money you had to spend before you discovered the error was in your instrument cluster, especially with this Buhari economy. Was in a situation like that last year, and had to sell off the car with good conscience after it was finally fixed because I couldn't stand to look at it again .

But wait o, I'm surprised Kingreign asked for a new transmission. It seemed like such a stretch when OP said it.

If you don't mind Kingreign, could you tell us what led to this rationale?

2 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by KINGreignn: 1:45pm On Jul 05, 2018
Greetings everyone,
Normally, I am not supposed to reply this thread anymore but on a second thought and after due consultations I decided to do so to set the records straight for future and posterity reasons.
My creation of a New moniker is due to a long term ban (story for another day).

Most folks are out to observe and when you falter they turn to mocking birds
And starting from today henceforth, I'd no longer run free consultancy services because It's not worth it.

To the story
Owner of car has been suffering this perennial P0500 issue and none even gave him a helping hand. Since I'm based in Uyo and he is in Eket, I decide lemme assist with diagnosis while you go your way to fix it. Long story short, I told owner of car (HenriXI) to bring his scanner, get a multimeter etc He had them and came. It was even raining heavily that day, I decided to go meet him, scanned it showed only p0500 and I tested the VSS sensor and the harness it was Okay. Did all parametric check all other components were fine. But then the transmission was flaring and not shifting correctly. I went my own way and he went his way, but we still communicated. HenriXi got transmission and replace but it still flared. Told owner to replace transmission after checking properly wit his mechanic. He wanted to peel wiring and start bypassing wire I told him don't. He should check part number of ECU and TCM they were not matching the car VIN. I told him a lot of things has been done wrongly. I told him to pull the VIN and send me we did a car fax and it only had quite a number recalls on traction control and allied issues. I asked him to send me his part number for his instrument cluster. It wasn't matched with the VIN: So I told him he's left with only two things either ECM or cluster he should choose. But he should get a friend who use same car to test it on his own.
He did and it was cluster that caused the whole issue. He resolved it and all was fine I was still giving him necessary technical and moral support too, I was giving him all the calls technical supports and moral support, I even spoke to his technician on what to do
Now, he went online and his experience and how it was rresolved.

The autoelectNG guy prior to my assisting the victim had already said he knows I'd most likely collect money a case of wrong assumption which I warned him against. Whereas, I collected NO dime
After this the autoelectNG and some random LUDATRAVELS came online to run their mouth like sissy.
To set the records straight. I've been helping Nigerians and foreigners alike freely. Not a single consultany fee have I collecte cos i love doing what I do.

Do HenryXI and I still chat and are we still friends? YES!
Have I anything against him? NO!
Now, I challenge you AutoelectNG and LUDATRAVELS to go check ALL MY PAST RECORDS ONLINE AND OFFLINE. BOTH IN AUTOMOBILE repairs and other fields of life which I am into.

You will grow you will learn. But you can't undo my achievement even on Nairaland alone not to talk of other spheres of life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2018
AutoElectNG:

MODIFIED... SEE STRIKETHROUGH TEXT

Possibilities include:

Brake Light Switch?
Brake Light Circuit?
Wheel Speed Sensors?
Brake/Traction Actuators?
Brake Actuator Assembly?
Brake Light Switch Assembly?

Possibilities...you need scan data, maybe freeze frame data, detailed manufacturer technical troubleshooting guidelines, patience and some familiarity with electrical electronics and you should be good

As much as I would love to help...this is in-depth troubleshooting and goes beyond what can be done pro bono..[s].I suggest you take up the offer by Kingreig.n who will most likely not do it for free, but then he is close to you, if that gives you some comfort that you are dealing with someone that is within reach[/s]

Please note: there is a distinction between "who will most likely not do it for free" AND "who will most certainly not do it for free"

The former carries an element of probability...which means it could go either way

For the records and for posterity

I choose my words very carefully, I know the power of words, and I give serious thought to anything I post, and that is why, I usually indicate if I have had cause to modify any statement!

------------------------
MODIFIED BELOW
-----------------------
One can only sensibly recommend someone if he believes in the capability of the one recommended.

I share a WhatsApp group with the guy, we have never met in person, I intended the recommendation as a public notification of my notice of him, and as a basis to start a working relationship, that was my intention, until he decided to scuttle it by a very unkind response.

Just so the whole world knows that I never had, and never will have a malicious intent towards him.

The least expected person saved a military general in the Bible, a mere slave girl, I go out of my way to build relationships, at very great cost to me, I will sacrifice to keep a relationship, and I do not curse or swear (offline or online) and even if someone is wrong, I will try to find a very polite way to bring it to the person's attention, attacking not the person, but the wrong or perceived wrong.

Once again, I had nothing against the guy, I don't have anything against the guy, I never will have anything against the guy.

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by KINGreignn: 2:08pm On Jul 05, 2018
Grammar go consult encyclopedia Britannica to show us
Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by Ricmayak1: 2:16pm On Jul 05, 2018
I think poster should have informed on this thread that same Kingrein gave him remote support till the issue was fixed, that is to say, he got initial diagnosis wrong which was at a cost to you but he later got to the root cause through remote support. That alone would have prevented some misconceptions.

Again, as a solution seeker, learn to reach out to people that are willing to assist you at least for the courtesy. Not everybody does that to get a customer. I told you to contact me, at least a whatsapp chat would do. Some people are just happy providing solution to other's problems.

Let both sides remain calm and be an instrument of peace.

Regards.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue by AutoElectNG: 2:20pm On Jul 05, 2018
Ricmayak1:
Again, as a solution seeker, learn to reach out to people that are willing to assist you at least for the courtesy. Not everybody does that to get a customer. I told you to contact me, at least a whatsapp chat would do. Some people are just happy providing solution to other's problems.

I sent him a PM and there was no response whatsoever, meanwhile I had devoted over 30 minutes to researching his problem.

Seconded

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

In Need Of 2.4 Camry Engine / How Long Have You Been Using Your Current Vehicle / 5 Features That Would Become Standard In All Cars Very Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.