Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods (9938 Views)

Car Jerks After Driving Through Puddles / How Driving Through Water Affects Cars / Can I Ship In 1994 Car Through Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by boladez(m): 6:30am On Jun 28, 2012
It has been raining since 2am in most parts of lagos and from Accu weather satellite pictures it seems it is a tropical rainstorm. There a flash floods even on major roads. Hope ya all are fine and not too badly impacted? The truth is , any one who has no serious business outside should work from home today.

Please drive with care and use the following tips as you wade through the flood waters

1. Switch off your AC and ventilate the car by rolling down your windows (Secure level)
2. Avoid speeding through water as you may loose traction and control
3. Drive with steady movement and do not attempt to rev the engine inside flood water it increases the prospects of displaced water going through electrical and other systems
4. Avoid jerky movements
5. Pray to your God!
6. When you get through, do not attempt to speed and dry the engine immediately because you would have lost a great level of efficiency in your braking system, avoid using your horn until it is dry and avoid using your AC and other external electrical stuff until they are dry
7. When you get to your destination try and steam your vehicle for a few minutes to allow all the necessary components to dry off

Just in case the vehicle stalls. it is safer to stay inside to avoid water entering your car and wait for help to push out the vehicle. Do not attempt to start the car or use it until it is checked by a mechanic or certified engineer

I drove through the flood at car wash Iyana oworo inward Lagos island.......it was baaaad saw all sorts of new cars and old and even a CRV dead in the water.

Wish you safe motoring and my heart goes out to those who are already impacted.

8 Likes

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by crusufixo(m): 6:52am On Jun 28, 2012
Thanks Bro, the tips are highly appreciated. I for one, i hate driving through floods, no matter how little the flood might be.Thanks again !!!!!
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by ZUBY77(m): 6:57am On Jun 28, 2012
Good info for newbie drivers. My own advice is to start moving to a higher land. We still dont know what is going to happen with this floods. Dont be in the same vehicle with your family.
How can we drive without the AC which dries the windshield? That would be a suicide mission.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Xolokristo(m): 6:58am On Jun 28, 2012
The Rains are down, Lagos is flooded, Akoka is sinking,
I pray there are no casualties!
On a serious note which area is free from flood in Lagos?
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 6:58am On Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for the info but i want to know if using the Ac has any effect particular effect on the engine cuz AC keeps the windscreen dry and allow the driver to see better than rolling down the window.how do you avoid the steam on the windscreen ?
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 6:59am On Jun 28, 2012
Why drive when you can swim?

2 Likes

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by tblackE61(m): 7:00am On Jun 28, 2012
Nice one Bro..its as also been raining here in osun state since yesterday..pls ȋ̝̊̅̄ neeed Your help bro.pls hw can ȋ̝̊̅̄ update a topic to D̶̲̥̅̊ main nairaland page.sometin like dis topic JU̶̲̥̅st̶̲̥̅̊ update
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by ayojango(m): 7:01am On Jun 28, 2012
D flood in Ajah is TERRIBLE, its like a river pls OP when u say steam d engine wat does it imply
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nwoka(m): 7:07am On Jun 28, 2012
I'm a learner,and I've been seriously avoiding floods,but with your tips...the ginger is high!!
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by boladez(m): 7:16am On Jun 28, 2012
~Bluetooth:

Thanks for the info but i want to know if using the Ac has any effect particular effect on the engine cuz AC keeps the windscreen dry and allow the driver to see better than rolling down the window.how do you avoid the steam on the windscreen ?

There are two reason why you should not use the AC while driving through flood water.

1. The AC will add load to the engine and with the resistance of water pushing against the car, it increases the chances of stalling the engine and when you engine stalls, you need to rev , when you rev the engine, you kick of a chain of events that will end up putting water in your catalytic converter, coil , cadburretor, injector, etc etc. However when you roll down your windows it will ventilate the car and remove the mist on your windscreen especially if you are alone, but where you have people in the vehicle it will be a good idea to keep a soft lintless cloth in your car and your passenger in front can clean while you drive. If the flood water is not too bad you may switch on your AC a few minutes after getting through the water.

2. The AC is powered by the vehicle's electrical system and I have seen a vehicle short circiut and catch fire from the compressor (which is usually on the lower part of the engine) in the Benin flood at uselu those days. You dont want to power a device well soaked in floow water.

tblackE61: Nice one Bro..its as also been raining here in osun state since yesterday..pls ȋ̝̊̅̄ neeed Your help bro.pls hw can ȋ̝̊̅̄ update a topic to D̶̲̥̅̊ main nairaland page.sometin like dis topic JU̶̲̥̅st̶̲̥̅̊ update

Your posts will make the front page at the discresion of the moderators, you may drop them a mail if you have a strong point to pass accross.

ayo jango: D flood in Ajah is TERRIBLE, its like a river pls OP when u say steam d engine wat does it imply

Apologies, I may have used a slang there, it means allow your engine to run and idle on its own while parked.....(simple isn't it?) We sometimes use big words to describe simple things unlike our mother tongues. May the Almighty help you through your flooded area. God bless and make it shower of blessings for us all

7 Likes

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by ZUBY77(m): 7:26am On Jun 28, 2012
boladez:

There are two reason why you should not use the AC while driving through flood water.

1. The AC will add load to the engine and with the resistance of water pushing against the car, it increases the chances of stalling the engine and when you engine stalls, you need to rev , when you rev the engine, you kick of a chain of events that will end up putting water in your catalytic converter, coil , cadburretor, injector, etc etc. However when you roll down your windows it will ventilate the car and remove the mist on your windscreen especially if you are alone, but where you have people in the vehicle it will be a good idea to keep a soft lintless cloth in your car and your passenger in front can clean while you drive. If the flood water is not too bad you may switch on your AC a few minutes after getting through the water.

2. The AC is powered by the vehicle's electrical system and I have seen a vehicle short circiut and catch fire from the compressor (which is usually on the lower part of the engine) in the Benin flood at uselu those days. You dont want to power a device well soaked in floow water.

Your posts will make the front page at the discresion of the moderators, you may drop them a mail if you have a strong point to pass accross.

Apologies, I may have used a slang there, it means allow your engine to run and idle on its own while parked.....(simple isn't it?) We sometimes use big words to describe simple things unlike our mother tongues. May the Almighty help you through your flooded area. God bless and make it shower of blessings for us all

Good analysis. I guess some of us just start cars and drive around hoever and whenever we want. I drove through water at Asaba yesterday while my AC was on. Now i hear somw strange noise coming from the hood.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Immune1(m): 7:46am On Jun 28, 2012
In addition, when you don't have an option but to wade through pools of water,know this:
1)Maintain a steady accelerator pedal thrust whilst driving through.Taking your foot off the pedal might allow water to get in through the exhaust pipes;you sure don't want that!
2)Ever heard of brake fade?Its happens a lot during these moments, especially when (in less technical terms) the rotor is fatigued. But I read a tip years back,haven't quite tried it personally:maintain your emergency/parking brake in the middle to keep the rotor busy.Hope this helps...happy driving!

1 Like

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 28, 2012
Great informative thread. Worth the front page..
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by trisurface: 7:49am On Jun 28, 2012
Always remember the Golden Rule for Driving in Rain:
When approaching an unfamiliar road or flooded road, Always Allow The Car Behind You To Overtake wink

7 Likes

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by tunax5loon(m): 7:57am On Jun 28, 2012
@POSTER: Thanks for the info..Just wanna know if you are an Auto-Engr.
I think a slot should be left for you on the FrontPage.. maybe once in a week.. so that you can enlighten us on other things we need to know about our cars.
Once again, THANKS
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by question(m): 7:59am On Jun 28, 2012
trisurface: Always remember the Golden Rule for Driving in Rain:
When approaching an unfamiliar road or flooded road, Always Allow The Car Behind You To Overtake wink
What if the car behind you is also waiting for you to cross the bad spot. Or makes a U-turn behind you?
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Claracuzio: 8:03am On Jun 28, 2012
ZUBY77: Good info for newbie drivers. My own advice is to start moving to a higher land. We still dont know what is going to happen with this floods. Dont be in the same vehicle with your family.
How can we drive without the AC which dries the windshield? That would be a suicide mission.

I hope u know that the ac fans suck air and I guess u can imagine when the car is waterlogged it will attempt to suck the water which wiLl be filled with all sorts of debris, nylon etc which will either break the fan blades or suck dirt into ur system.
Wisen up my brother
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by ifyalways(f): 8:05am On Jun 28, 2012
The Island is totally messed up.I NEVER drive when its raining and i seriously don't envy my driver now.
Nice thread.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by sirp2007: 8:16am On Jun 28, 2012
Thanks for the tips.
as for putting off of the a/c,l believe u are saying it should be put off when one is abt to enter flood and when one is out of the flood he/she can put on d ac again even if its still raining.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by goldng: 8:29am On Jun 28, 2012
Very Nice Tips.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 28, 2012
boladez:

Thanks cool
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Mkpotu(m): 8:31am On Jun 28, 2012
Thanks @Postet!

As per the Golden Rule, I think its a nice advice. Last friday I was driving through Orlu in Imo State, wasn't familiar with the road let alone the terrain & it was raining heavily with the attendant flood. I couldn't even see well, as I was driving what just came to my mind was to slow down so that cars behind me can pass probably they should know the road better & it really helped to swarve through the flooded roads amidst heavy downpour.

Also its good to off your AC once u're driving through flood & turn on whilst on unflooded terrain, a lot of people have suffered for not knowing the right thing to do.

As per me sha, I dey casual leave so Island no go see me till later in the day but I wan enter Unilag now hope Akoka area is not too bad.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by damilola15: 8:35am On Jun 28, 2012
I remember some time ago around my place, some area boys would direct unsuspecting drivers to potholes or places where they would encounter problems and their vehicles would need to be pushed. They'd push it for them for a fee, it was a business.
I don't know if such still happens.
In essence, if you can use a familiar route, you better do, otherwise trail vehicles that are ahead of you.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by nissparts(m): 9:23am On Jun 28, 2012
sir-p2007:
Thanks for the tips.
as for putting off of the a/c,l believe u are saying it should be put off when one is abt to enter flood and when one is out of the flood he/she can put on d ac again even if its still raining.

Correct
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Tokotaya: 9:27am On Jun 28, 2012
Very useful info OP. Thanks. People should stay away from Ahmadiyya, Ijaye, Agbado etc for now, unless they cannot help it. I hear the Exp Way has been divided into two around Ahmadiyya. Happy motoring, all.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Pakavy(m): 9:33am On Jun 28, 2012
ZUBY77: Good info for newbie drivers. My own advice is to start moving to a higher land. We still dont know what is going to happen with this floods. Dont be in the same vehicle with your family.
already u r on a suicide mission driving thru d floods.@poster great tips...in addition kip a boat in ur trunk,just kidding
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Martini101(m): 9:35am On Jun 28, 2012
sir-p2007:
Thanks for the tips.
. GBAM
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Biggyd2: 9:38am On Jun 28, 2012
There was a semblance of river niger on one part of airport road this morning. Even heavy jeeps were afraid to wade through the water. Heard over the radio the other day that people should expect the 7days rain. Wahala dey o.
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 28, 2012
A friend just called to say his house is flooded at mainland....but I looked outside my house in VI here,....and its dry...no sign of heavy rain in the night although i slept...
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Kashif(m): 9:56am On Jun 28, 2012
The most important reason for having your AC turned off is to save your radiator fan(s). I have lost a couple of blades some time ago.

If your thermostat is not connected however, turning off the AC wont prevent this. You will have to either disconnect the fan(s) before you 'swim', or have the thermostat reconnected.

Knowledge is power!
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 28, 2012
U Lagos people need to start considering building ur houses on sticks and poles then moving around in boats. cool
Re: Tips For Driving Through Lagos Floods by RichDad1(m): 11:06am On Jun 28, 2012
Make sure you put on your HAZARD LIGHT or HEAD LAMPS when driving in a heavy rain or mist cool cool cool cool cool cool cool cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tanker Traffic On Costain Axis And Bridge / How A Four Stroke Petrol Engine Works / Advice Needed As Regards Engine Oil Change

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.