Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 (22801 Views)

Poll: What Will Be The Outcome Of The Match?

Nigeria Wins: 70% (48 votes)
A Draw: 22% (15 votes)
North Korea Wins: 7% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Vs DR Congo (0 - 2): Int'l Friendly On 8th October 2015 / Nigeria Vs Ethiopia (2 - 1): Int'l Friendly On Saturday, January 4, 2014 / Super Eagles Vs Mexico - (2 - 2) -Intl Friendly On May 31 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by semid4lyfe(m): 10:59pm On Jun 04, 2010
MIKEL READY FOR NORTH KOREA TEST
Posted: 2010-06-04 12:14

Midfielder John Mikel Obi will be ready to play a part in Nigeria's final pre-World Cup friendly against North Korea on Sunday, Nigerian officials have said.

Mikel has been recuperating from knee surgery and coach Lars Lagerback explained after last weekend's 1-1 draw against Colombia that the Chelsea midfielder had been declared fit but was only left out as a precaution.

On Friday, Mikel trained fully with the rest of the squad and came away with no ill effects of injury.

"Mikel trained with the rest of the team today, and did everything that the other players did," Musa Amadu, NFF Deputy Secretary General told KickOffNigeria.com on Friday afternoon.

NFF Executive Committee member Taiwo Ogunjobi also told KickOffNigeria.com that there was no cause to worry about Mikel.

"The team trained for three hours yesterday and he also worked out with the physio yesterday on his own as part of the programme that our medical team agreed with the Chelsea medical team.

"Later in the evening, he went to the gym with the physio again for some additional work just before dinner."

Ogunjobi said there is no need to worry, as Mikel would be fit and available to start against Argentina.

"He is someone who is just recovering so you don’t expect him to go at the pace of the others, but from the look of things and the way he has been training, I have the belief that he is he is going to play against Korea like the coach said, and also play against Argentina.

"But of course, that is up to the coach."

Nigeria open their campaign on June 12 against Argentina.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/15864/mikel-ready-for-nkorea-test.php
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by semid4lyfe(m): 11:08pm On Jun 04, 2010
semid4lyfe:

MIKEL READY FOR NORTH KOREA TEST
Posted: 2010-06-04 12:14

Midfielder John Mikel Obi will be ready to play a part in Nigeria's final pre-World Cup friendly against North Korea on Sunday, Nigerian officials have said.

Mikel has been recuperating from knee surgery and coach Lars Lagerback explained after last weekend's 1-1 draw against Colombia that the Chelsea midfielder had been declared fit but was only left out as a precaution.

On Friday, Mikel trained fully with the rest of the squad and came away with no ill effects of injury.

"Mikel trained with the rest of the team today, and did everything that the other players did," Musa Amadu, NFF Deputy Secretary General told KickOffNigeria.com on Friday afternoon.

NFF Executive Committee member Taiwo Ogunjobi also told KickOffNigeria.com that there was no cause to worry about Mikel.

"The team trained for three hours yesterday and he also worked out with the physio yesterday on his own as part of the programme that our medical team agreed with the Chelsea medical team.

"Later in the evening, he went to the gym with the physio again for some additional work just before dinner."

Ogunjobi said there is no need to worry, as Mikel would be fit and available to start against Argentina.

"He is someone who is just recovering so you don’t expect him to go at the pace of the others, but from the look of things and the way he has been training, I have the belief that he is he is going to play against Korea like the coach said, and also play against Argentina.

"But of course, that is up to the coach."

Nigeria open their campaign on June 12 against Argentina.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/15864/mikel-ready-for-nkorea-test.php
Lagerback shouldn't risk Mikel in that game. I don't trust those war-mongering Koreans. I still recall their final qualifying match with Saudi-Arabia. They were very rough and physical and even got a red card in the process. We need Mikel against Argentina.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by honeric01(m): 11:10pm On Jun 04, 2010
semid4lyfe:

I won't complain if they can chop of Kanu and Utaka's legs so Lagerback can invite Anichebe and some other player  grin grin

so it's still possible to replace injured players 5 days before the start of worldcup?
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by DonPedro21(m): 11:20pm On Jun 04, 2010
mykali:

all i need from this match is for a demented Korean to dislocate Utaka's ankle  angry
I really support tatality I don't see any reason Y Utaka should make that team with this younger bro and Anichebe where droped
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by semid4lyfe(m): 11:39pm On Jun 04, 2010
honeric01:

so it's still possible to replace injured players 5 days before the start of worldcup?
But you sef know se Kanu and Utaka's condition pass even the worst football injury grin grin
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by kaylaa: 11:58pm On Jun 04, 2010
Oh. strolling chicken! in a matter of days, we will see wat u'v got 4 Aguero.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by VitiMini(m): 12:12am On Jun 05, 2010
My fellow Nigerians,

abeg make una no shake! I know what truly bothers us even subconsciously is WHAT will HAPPEN when Nigeria face Argentina at the WC,

All eyes will be on the Eagles as they take on the North Koreans in their final friendly before the WC begins. I can not wait!

We all know that friendlies don't count for much. However, they help us gauge our strengths and weaknesses. Will Lagerback shock us by playing Martins as the right full back or will he start Kanu in goal? These are some of the questions we might be asking ourselves at the moment, after seeing what he did on the right wing in our last friendly,  which in my opinion was not a bad move. I do believe Sani Kaita  took a few shots at goal from not too optimistic angles! I  remember 2 of them where embarrassingly off, but on a good day who knows!!
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by 14(m): 12:15am On Jun 05, 2010
The match is in makhulong Stadium in Thembisa Kempton Park, East of Johannesburg. Tickets are free and can be collect the at the Church in Kempton Park at 09H00 on Sunday. There is only 15 000 tickets allocated.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by kobikwelu(m): 12:20am On Jun 05, 2010
i dunno know whats really happening with all these stars that are dropping out of the tournament like flies cry cry cry cry cry cry

this is a showpiece events where we all want the stars to be , and they are becoming no shows!!!

hope i dunt regret my taking my annual leave
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by CLT123(m): 12:22am On Jun 05, 2010
What time is the match??
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by davidif: 4:15am On Jun 05, 2010
Why do we keep getting all this crappy friendlies.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Nobody: 5:57am On Jun 05, 2010
The news stories of injuries all over the place is really scary
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by papaejima2: 6:07am On Jun 05, 2010
canuck:

@ Topic

Friendlies with North Korea?! A nation coming to the World Cup for the 2nd time ever, and after 44 years!!! shocked

No sane country risks its key players in a friendly match just before the real thing.

Injuries are inevitable in sports and can happen even in training like we saw with Rio Ferdinand, Diego Milito and others. FIFA allows the team to substitute any injured player not less than 24 hours before the team's opening match. However, they can only do this with a player that was on the provisional list sent to FIFA, ie the 30 man list in the case of Nigeria. Rio Ferdinand has just been replaced with Michael Dawson. SO THIS FRIENDLY IS NOT UNNECESSARY.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Rmc1(m): 6:26am On Jun 05, 2010
I wish the super eagles victory ,  i just hope those karate playing n-koreans boys will not break, and injure the legs of our strategic players  angry  b4 the real world cup starts
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by medjai(m): 6:29am On Jun 05, 2010
The North Koreans may want to help their neighbours, South Korea by taking out our star players. Lagerback should use his brain o! The last thing we need is a depleted squad
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Ranoscky(m): 8:25am On Jun 05, 2010
@honeric01, even a day to the W.C u can replace any injured player.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 05, 2010
North Korea shocked

The eagles shld be careful ooo!

Let them remember what happened to the S.Korean ship ooo!
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by scato24: 9:23am On Jun 05, 2010
nigerians would definitely win.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 05, 2010
North Korea shocked

The eagles shld be careful ooo!

Let them remember what happened to the S.Korean ship ooo!
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Marhoski(m): 9:38am On Jun 05, 2010
guys, if nigeria wins this match, then there is a real possibilty of us matching argentina to have at least a point. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Marhoski(m): 9:46am On Jun 05, 2010
davidif:

Why do we keep getting all this crappy friendlies.

yeh, it would have been good to see nigeria vs brazil but its a matter of them(brazil) accepting the friendly match.
years back, when we were ranked 5th in the world, we were begged for friendly matches u know.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by erith: 10:38am On Jun 05, 2010
john obi mikel is out of the world cup.check goal.com
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by cooltobex(m): 11:38am On Jun 05, 2010
Nigeria needs to raise the level of their game against, because this is more a like the first real test for Lager back and his team since becoming coach of the national team.
Good Luck Boys, i support you guys full time!
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by semid4lyfe(m): 1:52pm On Jun 05, 2010
erith:

john obi mikel is out of the world cup.check goal.com
True! He's to be replaced by Ideye Brown. Peeps like Onyekachi Okonkwo and Femi Ajilore should have been in the 30-man provisional list. Those two are better than Ideye Brown any of them would have made better and more suitable replacements. Brown Ideye jazz don catch Mikel grin grin

http://www.goal.com/en/news/article?contentId=1959901
Nigeria's John Obi Mikel Out Of World Cup 2010 With Knee Injury. Chelsea star not prepared to risk 'long term' career,
By James Daly
Jun 5, 2010 10:12:00 AM
John Obi Mikel has ruled himself out of the World Cup amidst fears over his long-term recovery from knee surgery.

In what is starting to be seen as a World Cup hoodoo for Chelsea players he joins Germany and Ghana internationals Michael Ballack and Michael Essien on the sidelines for this tournament.

Didier Drogba’s participation in the tournament is also in doubt after he fractured his arm in a 2-0 victory for the Ivory Coast in a warm-up match over Japan.

Teammate Kolo Toure initially said the striker told him his World Cup was over, although a team official later played down the comments.

Such is Chelsea’s strength in depth that the Blues were able to clinch the Premier League and FA Cup double without the 23-year-old Mikel in the finishing stages of last season.

The player hoped that surgery on a knee injury would grant him a clean bill of health in time for the World Cup but despite being named in Nigeria’s 23-man squad it was announced this morning that he won’t play.

Team official Emmanuel Attah said this morning: "We have dropped Mikel from the World Cup squad after he told the team he did not want to put his career at risk as his knee injury has yet to fully heal after a recent surgery."

The only consolation for Nigeria is that – like England with the Rio Ferdinand injury situation – Mikel can still be replaced by one of the seven players dropped from Lars Lagerback's initial 30-man World Cup squad.

http://kickoffnigeria.com/news/15883/mikel-out-of-world-cup.php
Mikel out of World Cup
John Mikel Obi out, Brown Ideye in
Posted: 2010-06-05 12:14

Sochaux midfielder Brown Ideye has been called up to replace John Mikel Obi, who has been ruled out of the World Cup with an ankle problem

"Mikel suffered a bruise to his ankle and a scan showed that he will not recover on time," Media Officer Idah Peterside told KickOffNigeria.com.

"The coach has now decided to call up Brown Ideye to replace him."

Mikel had knee surgery last month to repair a torn meniscus and was expected to be out for two weeks.

He was left out of Nigeria's friendly match against Colombia by coach Lars Lagerback, who explained that the move was only precautionary and trained with the rest of the squad on Friday.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by sley4life(m): 5:14pm On Jun 05, 2010
the SE will triumph. Let them play safely so they wont have more injury casualty
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by yemisolar(m): 5:30pm On Jun 05, 2010
as for me the world cup is just going to be another failed misadventure. amodu was paid #3m, now we are paying lagerbag #50m for the same job and he is essentially using the same players. God deliver us
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Litmus: 6:13pm On Jun 05, 2010
South Korea’s a worrying team not only in my heart but literally: they worry oppositions all over the pitch, they are tireless. If North Korea is of similar ability, Nigeria is in for a torrid time.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by AzukaO(m): 6:25pm On Jun 05, 2010
nobody seems to be talking of our players getting injured trying to impress us. Abeg make they relax for that match ooo
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by Nafifi(m): 6:58pm On Jun 05, 2010
I really dont seem to understand myself this football season, previous times there is always these excitement and believe that I always carry for Nigeria (Super Eagles), but now I dont seem to care much, I never even watch any of our friendly games, but I dont think I don miss anything yet, we are not prepared at all, I beg lets stop this thing of I Pray We Win mentality, its just a friendly match.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by otokx(m): 7:45pm On Jun 05, 2010
Its just a friendly; i hope we start loosing from tomorrow.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by sultan003(m): 7:59pm On Jun 05, 2010
our guys should be careful so as 2 avoid injuries.
Re: Nigeria Vs North Korea Friendly On June 6, 2010: 3 - 1 by tkid(m): 8:18pm On Jun 05, 2010
where can i watch nigeria vs s korea tommorow? i live in UK

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Chelsea Qualify For Champions League Football Next Season / Nantes Retires Emiliano Sala's No. 9 Shirt / The Moment Lionel Messi Was Pronounced Winner Of The 2021 Ballon D'or Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.