Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:44 AM

Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos (25142 Views)

Before You Travel To Canada: The Dangers Therein / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by topgist(m): 4:35pm On Jun 18, 2018
Apply Now for FBN Insurance Recruitment 2018 via link below here:
https://www.topgist.com.ng/fbn-insurance-2018-graduate-trainee-programme/

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jun 18, 2018
K
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by BOOZELEE: 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2018
Disease nko
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by vulpeslopez(m): 4:36pm On Jun 18, 2018
Fear of police /SARs
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by zombieHUNTER: 4:37pm On Jun 18, 2018
Why are you leaving out HIV

Lagos is like the HIV capital of Nigeria... Prostitutes are on rampage in the state... Every girl in a kpako house is doing the business... Be careful in Lagos

3 Likes

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Mpanyi: 4:38pm On Jun 18, 2018
dubbiskelly:
Lagos will always be dear to my heart, I came to Lagos with 5000naira in my pocket, a Ghana must go of clothes and not sure of a roof over my head, but with God by my side, and 6 years later, my life has done a complete 360 for the better.

God bless Lagos.

Eko oni baje!!

180 rather. 360 is back to where you started

7 Likes

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Dmeji4444(m): 4:39pm On Jun 18, 2018
Traffic
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by blaqroy: 4:41pm On Jun 18, 2018
Remove one the photos plz,put pict of Mushin, oshodi and agege

1 Like

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Chukwuka16: 4:41pm On Jun 18, 2018
Sorry to pick on you. A 180 degree may have been better. With 360 degrees you are back to start point as that is same as 0 degrees in circle theorem.
Thank God for the uplift all the same. Eko o ni baje.
dubbiskelly:
Lagos will always be dear to my heart, I came to Lagos with 5000naira in my pocket, a Ghana must go of clothes and not sure of a roof over my head, but with God by my side, and 6 years later, my life has done a complete 360 for the better.

God bless Lagos.

Eko oni baje!!

1 Like

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by ibkayee(f): 4:42pm On Jun 18, 2018
sod09:
SARS should top the list
I’ve been hearing they’re absolute terrors sad
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jun 18, 2018
Lagos is seriously overcrowded with poor people and the quality of life is terrible. The city is highly polluted, crime-infested, dirty with no plan for refuse disposal, and unless you have a good paying job there or own a business, it is insane to want to live there.

Understandably, some indigenes are stuck there. But, I find people who leave their less-crowded, less-polluted, and highly peaceful towns to go to Lagos to roam.

I think it is better to be unemployed in, lets say Cross River, Kogi, or Sokoto, than to be unemployed in Lagos. Besides, this issue of being unemployed is largely due to mental laziness and self-unmotivation.

There're lots of opportunities in the food production sector (Agriculture) that can create self-reliance but most Nigerians are looking for office jobs which do not exist. Office jobs don't exists in Nigeria because the country is not developed. Anyway, let me lay off this topic for now...

In sum, Lagos is over-rated and I find people that feel they must live there as deranged!

7 Likes

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by TEEBLUE88(m): 4:44pm On Jun 18, 2018
Dat is y I could enter after spending one year at redemption camp, Lagos is not for the weaklings
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by sod09(m): 4:45pm On Jun 18, 2018
ibkayee:

I’ve been hearing they’re absolute terrors sad
they extort Nigeria youths with iPhones,cars etc
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Nobody: 4:47pm On Jun 18, 2018
also dangerous bloggers who destroy peoples live by making up and broadcasting falsehoods
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 18, 2018
namet:
Lagos is seriously overcrowded with poor people and the quality of life is terrible. The city is highly polluted, crime-infested, dirty with no plan for refuse disposal and unless you have a good paying job there or own a business, it is insane to want to live there.

Understandably, some indigenes are stuck there. But, I find people who leave their less-crowded, less-polluted, and highly peaceful towns to go to Lagos to roam.

I think it is better to be unemployed in, lets say Cross River, Kogi, or Sokoto, than to be unemployed in Lagos. Besides, this issue of being unemployed is largely due to mental laziness and self-unmotivation.

There're lots of opportunities in the food production sector (Agriculture) that can create self-reliance but most Nigerians are looking for office jobs which do not exist. Office jobs don't exists in Nigeria because the country is not developed. Anyway, let me lay off this topic for now...

In sum, Lagos is over-rated and I find people that feel they must live there as deranged!
U sabi work
Unless u have work in lagos,living there is a huge waste
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Deltatoto: 4:52pm On Jun 18, 2018
phreakabit:

So what will you say about that VERY poor looking yound Alpha they beat up and robbed earlier this year?
bros i mo hear that one o
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by bomee(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2018
How can you omit Lagos mad traffic!

2 Likes

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by dikachi01(m): 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2018
in all dis we are more than conqueror
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by wink2015(m): 4:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
QuitNotice:
The rapid migration from other parts of the nation to Lagos, the commercial capital of West Africa has called for concern in some quarters. This, is mostly due to the ever-swelling population in the state.
This continuous drastic influx of persons, alongside other factors has, most times, placed some aspects of life in this state on a knife edge. Below are a few of such cases, as a matter of opinion though.

(1). Soakaways

With such a massive population (over 18 million)
concentrated in such a small landmass, a majority of the land owners tend to put space ahead of safety in their plans. This includes tiny rooms, kitchens, bathroom /toilets, and economising with the space for citing the soakaway. Most build their soakaways in parts of the compound where people walk regularly on them. This calls for concern as such could be a death trap. You just need to be careful when walking around the compound, as you could be jumping on a soakaway slab.

(2). Armed robbery

Inasmuch as this is no longer a trend, given the efforts of then governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola in lighting up the city, and the continuity seen with Akinwumi Ambode, in that regard, as well as positive security measures being introduced, armed robbery, very brutal ones at that, remains a major challenge in the state. This reminds one of the festac bank robbery few years ago, where the most painful, as rumoured was a slain woman. It was said that she was lying safely on the floor somewhere in the house in the course of the robbery, but got up to tend to her crying baby, obviously disturbed by the incessant shootings. She was said to have been hit by a stray bullet. The baby ended up in perfect condition. Robberies generally, are usually brutal in this city, and hence pose a big threat.

(3). "One chance"

If you are a true Lagosian, this needs no explaining. But for the benefit of non Lagosians, one chance is a set of kidnappers, robbers or ritualists who operate by pretending to be commercial buses and take their unsuspecting victims to an isolated place to conclude the operation. You need to be mindful of the type of vehicle you board in this city.

(4). Falling Roof/Ceilings

Since tenants are mostly desperate, and hardly have a choice, most land owners fail to properly maintain their properties. Leaky roofs could, overtime, cause wooden structures of the roofs and ceilings to weaken and one day, collapse on the occupant. You need to constantly assess what's over your head, especially in a persistently leaky roof arrangement.

(5). Accident

Ah, this one seems to be the commonest of them all. Ever heard of a day when there was no accidents at all on the famous 3rd mainland bridge? Then that must be a special day. In this city, once you are on the road, whether as a driver or pedestrian, you need to apply your five senses. Adhering 100% to the laws of traffic won't be enough. You might be using 'look left, look right, and look left again', etc in other states, don't feel too confident with that in Lagos. All your sense organs must 'pick' like a stabiliser (pun intended) as soon as you step outside of your comfort zone in Lagos, not to talk of being on the roads. Or you want to use 'every other driver is a mad man' in Lagos, it won't suffice. Every other drivers could be mad men waiting in front for you, or pursuing you from the back, or sides. Use your five senses.

(6). Generator fume

Due to the minimal space, most generating sets are kept either by the windows, or corridor. This increases the CO level in the air, and can cause death by suffocation, especially with ventilation already poor.

***Frustration: if you let the stressful life (aptly described as hustling and bustling) of Lagos to get to you, you might eventually find yourself on the other end of suicide, just because a little child refuses to greet you.

Disclaimer: this wasn't, in any way, put together to discredit this beautiful city though. There are far more positives, if you are talking about Lagos life generally, and that's for another thread.
Feel free to add yours.

NICE SHARE!

Very factual, keep up the good write up!

1 Like

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by ibkayee(f): 4:55pm On Jun 18, 2018
sod09:
they extort Nigeria youths with iPhones,cars etc
Crazy, saw one of your posts about a run in you had with them, hope all is well?
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by IbnAbdullah1(m): 4:56pm On Jun 18, 2018
I spent some of my childhood in Lagos,but I will never advice anybody to live in Lagos on a permannent basis.

Life in Lagos is so full of constant fear and instability which are my pet peeves to put it mildly.
Lagos may have all the trappings of what you can find anywhere,but I still prefer safety to the luxuries of life which Lagos has to offer in abundance.

1 Like

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by sod09(m): 5:03pm On Jun 18, 2018
ibkayee:

Crazy, saw one of your posts about a run in you had with them, hope all is well?
it's was crazy mehn...those guys gat no conscience, they forced my brother to transfer 250k under duress. We got it back sha today

1 Like

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by calliope(f): 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2018
wickyyolo:
You forgot madness.

Everybody in Lagos is mad
If you are not mad in this country as it is, I promise you you'd be broke.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by phreakabit(m): 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2018
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by ibkayee(f): 5:07pm On Jun 18, 2018
sod09:
it's was crazy mehn...those guys gat no conscience, they forced my brother to transfer 250k under duress. We got it back sha today
Heard they get a bit trigger happy so good thing you weren’t harmed, ahh and you got your money back, nice, happy to hear
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by wickyyolo: 5:12pm On Jun 18, 2018
calliope:

If you are not mad in this country as it is, I promise you you'd be broke.

I'm neither mad nor broke.

But as soon as I enter Lagos madness will just enter me.

I love Abuja more
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by dermmy(m): 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
largeman4u:
Buy your tokunbo & Naija used Cars @ www.largemanmotors..com

Let me build a website that does this job for you this your wnt take u anywhere.
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Justiceleague1: 5:19pm On Jun 18, 2018
Fire
Area boys
coneheads
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by sod09(m): 5:24pm On Jun 18, 2018
ibkayee:

Heard they get a bit trigger happy so good thing you weren’t harmed, ahh and you got your money back, nice, happy to hear
yes o,they shoot and ask questions later. They can even implicate innocent youths

1 Like

Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Revolva(m): 5:28pm On Jun 18, 2018
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Thegeneralqueen(f): 5:30pm On Jun 18, 2018
yeyerolling:
One of my oga at work once said the most expensive slum in the world is lagos. U no add flood. I don wake up to see my car flooded on the island
So nah this 500 naira boxer you dey wear quote me......? smh
Re: Six Dangers You Could Be Facing Daily, Living In Lagos by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jun 18, 2018
Thegeneralqueen:
So nah this 500 naira boxer you dey wear quote me......? smh
how is dat boxers Shorts wey i buy 3k. Gerahere

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Says He Was Deported From Pakistan Because He Is Igbo (Video) / Amazing Facts About Africa / How To Enjoy Free Lagos-ibadan Train Ride

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.