Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,928 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles (673 Views)

Omeruo, Leon Balogun And Iwobi Pose For A Selfie In Russia / Leon Balogun Signs For EPL Side Brighton / Leon Balogun‏ Shows Off His Parents To Celebrate 2018 World Cup Qualification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles by Sappro22(m): 7:31pm On Jun 18, 2018
Super Eagles defender, Leon Balogun, has revealed why he chose Nigeria over Germany.

Balogun played for the age groups in Germany before he switched his international allegiance to the West African country, following a phone call with former head coach, Stephen Keshi.

In an interview with The Players Tribune, the Brighton new signing also explained why he never supported the German national team.

“One night in March, my phone rang. It was a Nigerian number … it was Stephen Keshi, the Nigerian National Team manager. I was sweating as soon as he introduced himself. I wanted him to say the words I had thought about for so long. He spoke for awhile about how he wasn’t totally familiar with me, but he liked how I played.

“Then he said it: ‘I would like to invite you to be a Super Eagle.’

“Those words … they meant so much to me. It meant validation for every step of my footballing journey. It meant happiness for my family. Most of all, it meant an opportunity to go to Nigeria.

“And that … that was everything to me.

“I never supported the German national team, mostly because I thought they were arrogant and their football was boring to watch. Even in 2006, when Germany hosted and the whole country had World Cup mania — I secretly cheered for them to lose. Because I was a kid, and I was rebellious. And because, even though I felt in my mind that I was just as German as all the other kids, a lot of people didn’t see me like that.”

Meanwhile Tecno spark k9 plus for sale at chicken change https://www.nairaland.com/4569193/sale-tecno-spark-k9-plus

1 Like

Re: Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles by GreatOlu1: 8:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
Make us proud brother.
Re: Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles by ednut1(m): 9:54pm On Jun 18, 2018
U werent good enuf for germany
Re: Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles by delkuf(m): 10:04pm On Jun 18, 2018
more like Germany dumped you
Re: Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles by muhammed50(m): 10:28pm On Jun 18, 2018
Germany dumped you not the other way round!

Re: Leon Balogun Reveals Why He Dumped Germany For Super Eagles by lacruz12(m): 7:29am On Jun 19, 2018
You did the right thing brother
patriotism: first thing first

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Coach Rohr Blasts Jose Mourinho / Nigeria 2 - 0 Iceland: 7 Takeaways From This Game / Facts About The Croatian Football Team That Beat England

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.