Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing (36451 Views)

20 Of The Most Common Grammatical Errors We All Need To Stop Making / Three Friends And Their Careers: The Grammatical Errors At Back Of A Story Book / Grammatical Errors That Welcomed President Buhari Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by linearity: 9:41am On Jun 20, 2018
These two don’t sound correct....

"He use not to live in Lagos".

"Used he to live in Lagos".

They don’t even make sense.

He use not to live in Lagos is okay, but I will rather say...He never lived in Lagos or He was not living in Lagos.

But...”Used he to live in Lagos” is obviously wrong.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Barezzi(m): 9:41am On Jun 20, 2018
shocked shocked Blood of Zachariah!!

SamySamy123:

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by hussine9: 9:44am On Jun 20, 2018
BE GOOGLE CERTIFIED!!!

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Fuckyoumod: 9:45am On Jun 20, 2018
taofeeq137:
Dayuuuuum! Guilty on almost all counts grin
why won't you be guilty ? You go school? No be amajiri school you go?
grin grin grin

Bros.... Na play I dey play ooh.

1 Like

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by coolebux(m): 9:47am On Jun 20, 2018
You fail am for "Xmas"
Like say we no know? undecided
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Vabasi(m): 9:49am On Jun 20, 2018
Thanks.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by oreslaw: 9:53am On Jun 20, 2018
Abeg is dis one correct. He use to live in lagos
Used he? Or is it usen't he?
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by samwash(m): 9:55am On Jun 20, 2018
zealz4u:
English language is too complicated. These days is all about wat u can offer, how good u are at wat u do, u don't necessarily need to speak good English to be successful, a little ability to read, write, and communicate in English can take u far. The hustle dis days does not need too much good and correct English all the time.

Think smart, work smart ur hustle will surely pay with or without correct English.

After been financially successful as you claim, and you are now a CEO or head in a government sector or even be a senator,governor etc., How will you now send Memos to your subjects?
You want to tell me you'll now start writing jargon because English Language is not our mother tongue? Try your best to be efficient and minimum your error in English Language, as its still the means of communication in Nigeria of today. Nigeria is an English speaking nation.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by antobrige: 9:55am On Jun 20, 2018
zealz4u:
English language is too complicated. These days is all about wat u can offer, how good u are at wat u do, u don't necessarily need to speak good English to be successful, a little ability to read, write, and communicate in English can take u far. The hustle dis days does not need too much good and correct English all the time.

Think smart, work smart ur hustle will surely pay with or without correct English.

Men ur correct....Even the man with best selling financial books can't even spell correct most times and he admits it....talking about Rich Dad Poor Dad
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by sotall(m): 9:57am On Jun 20, 2018

When people make sentences like "He used to live in Lagos" meaning he formerly lived in Lagos, it is quite understood and correct.

But where they say this negatively or in past tense, they make mistakes. Examples:

"He didn't use to live in Lagos".

"Did he use to live in Lagos?".

The correct forms of the above are:

" Used he to live in Lagos"

grin
This Englishes you are sparking is collect.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by SheikhMuniru(m): 10:02am On Jun 20, 2018
I AM NOT THEIR, IS IT CORRECT?
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by spiritedtete: 10:04am On Jun 20, 2018
"Teacher no teach me Nonesense" sing along please...
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Geofavor(m): 10:08am On Jun 20, 2018
iamauxin:
There is no such thing as ”top” grammatical errors.
An error is an error, no error should be termed ”top”
If you always make mistakes with respect to these ones you've mentioned it's simply because it is your personal problem.
Shut the hell up!
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Jamesarua: 10:12am On Jun 20, 2018
namy
fatherlanguageI despeak
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Geofavor(m): 10:13am On Jun 20, 2018
sacredsaint:
OP trying to correct us but making errors too
point 6, it is not from today henceforth, it is either from today on or henceforth
Shut the hell up!
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Heltinking(m): 10:18am On Jun 20, 2018
Educative
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by dprpikin: 10:25am On Jun 20, 2018
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by erico2k2(m): 10:33am On Jun 20, 2018
@ OP are we talking written English or Spoken English?
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by addikt(m): 10:38am On Jun 20, 2018
You ought to be a good boy, oughtn't you ??....ah

1 Like

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Ubiquity: 10:38am On Jun 20, 2018
GUHAPOCI
GUHAPOCI
How many times did i call you... Your number isnt on whatsapp, you can send me a whatsapp message here. I want to inquire about something, 0558198158.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 20, 2018
SamySamy123:
 1.  At and About

Note that the sentence, "I shall expect you at about five o'clock" is wrong. It should rather be "I shall expect you about five o'clock". 

Reason: 
"At" applies a definite time, and "about" applies to an approximate time. So, using at about is juxtaposition of two unlikes, and should be avoided. You can only say: "I shall expect you at or about five o'clock".

2. Try And

Many a time, people use "try and" when they actually mean "try to". Logically, if you "try and do something", you  have to first of all try,  which is to make a general attempt, and finding out how do. After trying and finding how to do, you then do it. Thus, there are two actions involve, to try and to do.

On the other hand, "try to" implies the single combination of trying and doing. So, learn not to confuse the two today. 

3.  All Right

Note that, while already, almost, almighty and altogether, are right, it is wrong to say "alright". However, there is no reason for this. But if you want your grammar to be absolutely correct, you must use "all right".

4. Misuse of That

It is quite pathetic that most people use the word "That" as an emphatic adverb.

Examples:

"I had no idea the house was that small"

"If the weather is that bad, you had better stay at home"

This use of "That" is wrong and should be avoided. The correct forms of the above sentences are:

"I had no idea that the house was as small as that".

"If the weather is as bad as that, you had better stay at home".

5.  Ought To

Note that the construction " He ought to, didn't he?" is very wrong. Its correct form is "He ought to, oughtn't he?".

I know this sound absurd. But no doubt, it is the correct form. 

6. Parallel With

It should be noted that two lines can not be "parallel to". They can only be "parallel with" each other. So, don't say parallel to from today hence forth.

7.  Averse To

Sometimes, people say they are "averse to". Meaning that they dislike. However, this is very wrong. You cannot be averse to anything, because the suffix "to" signify approach, when the opposite is intended. 

The correct form of "being averse to something" is "being averse from".

Can we say the same goes to:.. Being allergic from sth? And not allergic to sth..

8. Moot Point

Note that the word "moot" does not mean the same as "mute". While the word mute simply means silence, moot is an Anglo-Saxon town assembly, or court of justice which was a moot or mote, while the meeting place was the moot hall. 

9. USE TO

When people make sentences like "He used to live in Lagos" meaning he formerly lived in Lagos, it is quite understood and correct.

But where they say this negatively or in past tense, they make mistakes. Examples:

"He use not to live in Lagos". Did you mean: He used not to live in Lagos?

The problem is where he is folks à situation when the action happened in the past and still continuing. Example: He used to come here every day.. Wrong. When it should have been : He is used to coming here every day.

Reason: 
"Used to" is a peculiar idiom itself, and there is no point making its variation even more peculiar.

10. Xmas

The only reason why the word "Xmas" can be tolerated is because, "X" was a Greek word for Jesus Christ. Writers who intentionally use "Xmas" having be said to be merely lazy. The most formal form is "Christmas"

Source:
https://www.learnersinfo.com/2018/04/wrong-grammers-nigerians-always-use.html?m=0

Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Originalsly: 10:46am On Jun 20, 2018
zealz4u:

This applies if you want to remain local.... no need to know English period let alone correct English. If a little ability to communicate in English can take you far. ....don't you think the ability to communicate using correct English can take you much farther?...and quicker?
These days it's all about what you can offer....how good you are at what you do . ..... if you can't get past the interview because of poor communication skills...how will you get the opportunity to show what you can do and how good you are at what you do? If you are self employed.... poor communication skills would make you lose opportunities to have more customers.
The topic is for us to strengthen our English skills....and that's a win win.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by tete7000(m): 10:47am On Jun 20, 2018
zealz4u:

A man who pays attention to little details in his tenses can be trusted to pay attention to little details in his work. Being good, being smart is an attitude that reflects in every aspect of a man's life, his use of language inclusive.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by dprpikin: 10:48am On Jun 20, 2018
. '
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Chukwudi4naija(m): 10:48am On Jun 20, 2018
AmiciLord:
We ought to go, oughtn't we?
Good student.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by HisSexcellency(m): 10:49am On Jun 20, 2018
10. Xmas

The only reason why the word "Xmas" can be tolerated is because, "X" was a Greek word for Jesus Christ. Writers who intentionally use "Xmas" having be said to be merely lazy. The most formal form is "Christmas"

This is the part that annoys me the most, anyone who "wishes me merry Xmas" should not expect any response cus he's getting none
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by eyekaynoble: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2018
Nice one but your number 6 point ends incorrectly. It's either "from now" or "henceforth" ( no offence )
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by Chukwudi4naija(m): 10:55am On Jun 20, 2018
Op, you're also guilty. You had better stay at hope should have been rightly constructed as this. You had better stayed at home. Abeg, leave grammar for grammarians.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by overboard(m): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2018
SamySamy123:
 1.  At and About

Note that the sentence, "I shall expect you at about five o'clock" is wrong. It should rather be "I shall expect you about five o'clock". 

Reason: 
"At" applies a definite time, and "about" applies to an approximate time. So, using at about is juxtaposition of two unlikes, and should be avoided. You can only say: "I shall expect you at or about five o'clock".

2. Try And

Many a time, people use "try and" when they actually mean "try to". Logically, if you "try and do something", you  have to first of all try,  which is to make a general attempt, and finding out how do. After trying and finding how to do, you then do it. Thus, there are two actions involve, to try and to do.

On the other hand, "try to" implies the single combination of trying and doing. So, learn not to confuse the two today. 

3.  All Right

Note that, while already, almost, almighty and altogether, are right, it is wrong to say "alright". However, there is no reason for this. But if you want your grammar to be absolutely correct, you must use "all right".

4. Misuse of That

It is quite pathetic that most people use the word "That" as an emphatic adverb.

Examples:

"I had no idea the house was that small"

"If the weather is that bad, you had better stay at home"

This use of "That" is wrong and should be avoided. The correct forms of the above sentences are:

"I had no idea that the house was as small as that".

"If the weather is as bad as that, you had better stay at home".

5.  Ought To

Note that the construction " He ought to, didn't he?" is very wrong. Its correct form is "He ought to, oughtn't he?".

I know this sound absurd. But no doubt, it is the correct form. 

6. Parallel With

It should be noted that two lines can not be "parallel to". They can only be "parallel with" each other. So, don't say parallel to from today hence forth.

7.  Averse To

Sometimes, people say they are "averse to". Meaning that they dislike. However, this is very wrong. You cannot be averse to anything, because the suffix "to" signify approach, when the opposite is intended. 

The correct form of "being averse to something" is "being averse from".

8. Moot Point

Note that the word "moot" does not mean the same as "mute". While the word mute simply mean silence, moot is an Anglo-Saxon town assembly, or court of justice which was a moot or mote, while the meaning place was the moot hall. 

9. USE TO

Reason: 
"Used to" is a peculiar idiom itself, and there is no point making its variation even more peculiar.

10. Xmas

The only reason why the word "Xmas" can be tolerated is because, "X" was a Greek word for Jesus Christ. Writers who intentionally use "Xmas" having be said to be merely lazy. The most formal form is "Christmas"

Source:
https://www.learnersinfo.com/2018/04/wrong-grammers-nigerians-always-use.html?m=0

Two thumbs up!
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by godwinelijah(m): 11:02am On Jun 20, 2018
OP thanks for making out time to educate us on the usage of the above words/phrases.
But, I disagree with you on the explanation of number 6, where you wrote, "from today hence forth" the correct expression is, from today forth or hence forth. Hence means, from now. So the two words should not be used together as you did.
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by bobaydavid(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2018
nice article, informative and Educative
Re: Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing by jaytime(m): 11:16am On Jun 20, 2018
See, me I don tire for all this English wahala o. Wetin dey important be say person understand wetin I dey try communicate. Ah aah! Na wetin na? Someone cannot speak commom simple English in peace again without one grammarian coming for you?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Terrible State Of Irepodun High School, Ipao Ekiti Ikole LGA, Ekiti State / List Of Illegal Degree Awarding Institutions Operating In Nigeria. / Four Students Break First Class Jinx In UNILORIN Economics Department

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.