Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,703 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? (17355 Views)

After One Week I Asked For A Salary Increase In A Missionary School / 7 Side Hustling You Can Do As A Salary Earner / When Is It Appropriate To Ask For A Salary Raise? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Opinionated: 1:54pm On Jun 20, 2018
Nice question.
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by rman: 1:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
gbagyiza:
Dont worry, u r on point..If they r truly impressed with your performance, they will pay u a salary according to their scale in the organization..my present place of work asked me the same question n i told them my salary expectation should be according to their salary scale but i was asked to tell them what i currently earn which was 125k. And when i finally collected my appointment letter, i discovered my salary to be 500k.

Lucky you!

I got almost 3 mill PA less for an experienced role due to underselling...I increased my current package by 10%, they matched that, but the company pay so much more for the role...
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by JARUSHUB: 1:57pm On Jun 20, 2018
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by anigold(m): 2:03pm On Jun 20, 2018
opsyswagger:
The one sef wey I went for yesterday the man have already told us 60k.. only for us to be invited for the final stage telling us. That is going to pay 15k for trial for 15 days after the trial if we are sucessful. He will pay 35k everymonth.. na so. I look the man I tell am say I go get back to am.. stupid man....... rubbish....
when people say I will get back to you just know that I DON BE..be that grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by nairalandboy(m): 2:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
All this one na just rubbish, why dem go dey person that kind question self....for the buhari economy, if na me I go just 500k...afterall na them ask me, but seriously the questions HR asks this days is not really important, don't they do know much they pay others very soon dem go ask for my sex life before dem give persin work, but no be their facult, when dem need 10 and 1k pple apply why dem no go ask rubbish..mtcheew...na business is sure for the Nigeria pass o....gud afternoon
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by opsyswagger(m): 2:24pm On Jun 20, 2018
Abi na... wetin I go talk... before... grin grin cheesy grin
anigold:
when people say I will get back to you just know that I DON BE..be that grin grin grin
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by iajour(m): 2:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
r u sure?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by pxjosh(m): 3:18pm On Jun 20, 2018
Is this salary monthly or annually pay
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:
I was with the HR at the last section of my interview and I can see from her eyes that I impressed the panel but this question just hit me from one of them..

How much will you take for this position?

I just quoted 175k shocked

What is the effect of quoting a price that is less than the salary for the position you're going for cause I know when you quote too high, they'll try to beat it down?

Its ur personal business.
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Mac2016(m): 3:45pm On Jun 20, 2018
opsyswagger:
The one sef wey I went for yesterday the man have already told us 60k.. only for us to be invited for the final stage telling us. That is going to pay 15k for trial for 15 days after the trial if we are sucessful. He will pay 35k everymonth.. na so. I look the man I tell am say I go get back to am.. stupid man....... rubbish....

That's sad and highly exploitative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 20, 2018
Even if you quoted a lower sum it would take you about 3 months or 6 months and also performance evaluation for it to reviewed to normality, wish you the best thou....
henro4niger:
I was with
the HR at the last section of my interview and I can see from her eyes that I impressed the panel but this question just hit me from one of them..

What is the effect of quoting a price that is less than the salary for the position you're going for cause I know when you quote too high, they'll try to beat it down?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Mac2016(m): 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:
I was with the HR at the last section of my interview and I can see from her eyes that I impressed the panel but this question just hit me from one of them..

This is the best advice here so far that I've seen. Do your findings about the salary scale of the company you're entering, don't just quote price because if you over quote you're in trouble also if you under quote you're equally in trouble! Also, be certain they are talking about the net and not the gross salary!
Best of luck
SweetJoystick:
I'm in the same position as you, at the first stage I asked for 220k as salary which is lower than the standard for the role I was being interviewed for, second stage I asked for a minimum of 300k which is the standard pay for the role, the interviewers were like why the increase, I stated my reason. However, it's paramount one does a background check on salary scale by asking from persons currently working in the firm, from people who have worked in the company or from someone who knows anyone who currently works or has worked in the company before so as not to under value yourself.

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by zone51: 3:57pm On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:

It's better you confide in the H.R of the place you are presently to cover up for you incase the new place call to confirm your background

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2018
opsyswagger:

Jesu! Savages everywhere cheesy
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 20, 2018
qanda:
A few questions for you?
1. How did you come about 175K?
2. Did you do a research to find out how much they pay?
3. Is it an experience Hire and have you worked in a similar position?
However, some organisations will pay you just a little above what you asked for if you undersell. Some will pay you exactly what you asked for while others will pay the company salary for that job grade. Next time, do your research before the interview.

Download Top Interview Questions and Suggested/Sample answers for FREE on Q and A App. Download Q and A App from Google Playstore.

With respect to my qualifications and certifications, 175k is a good price for someone in my level
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
Altern8:
I feel it’s wrong for companies to try this. They have a standard remuneration for that particular role. Just tell the applicant and stop playing with him.

If an applicant asks for less and they accept, one day he/she would find out and that’s when dissatisfaction would creep in.

These same companies never pay above their standard amount.

They would most likely pay what you asked for. My advice for you is to go on with the job since you agreed to those terms. However, It is better to ask the interviewer what the company has pegged as remuneration for the specific role. They wouldn’t lie about the figure. The worst they can do is to throw the question back at you.

Baba these guys will not only play with you eh, you need to see the look in their eyes when they asked me that question cheesy. I tried dodging it by saying I trust they will give me a competitive salary. They insisted I should give them a figure. Which means, they want to achieve something with the question. I just want to know the possible outcome of my answer

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
gbagyiza:
Dont worry, u r on point..If they r truly impressed with your performance, they will pay u a salary according to their scale in the organization..my present place of work asked me the same question n i told them my salary expectation should be according to their salary scale but i was asked to tell them what i currently earn which was 125k. And when i finally collected my appointment letter, i discovered my salary to be 500k.

shocked shocked ewoo!! I pray mine takes that angle amen!
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Kennyfancy(m): 4:25pm On Jun 20, 2018
opsyswagger:
please which state is the company located ?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2018
Mac2016:

This is the best advice here so far that I've seen. Do your findings about the salary scale of the company you're entering, don't just quote price because if you over quote you're in trouble also if you under quote you're equally in trouble! Also, be certain they are talking about the net and not the gross salary!
Best of luck

You're so on point! When I said 175k another HR asked me whether is net or gross. I smiled and said net grin
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by opsyswagger(m): 4:46pm On Jun 20, 2018
I wount say the name of the company here. Is lagos base company..
Kennyfancy:
please which state is the company located ?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Franky826: 4:56pm On Jun 20, 2018
opsyswagger:

We're suffering in Nigeria.
$50/month for graduates!

Yet these politicians just loot and loot and will continue to loot because we have all become damn inert.

Youths arise. Get your voters card. It's a right step in the right direction
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Respect55(m): 5:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
gbagyiza:
In this Nigeria?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by airsaylongcon: 5:24pm On Jun 20, 2018
nabegibeg:

If it is never been used as you said why was it in port Harcourt in the first instance ?

Eeerrrmm... Things are also imported to Nigeria via Onne Port in Porthacourt
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by themodernman: 5:28pm On Jun 20, 2018
henro4niger:

I really appreciate your response. I hope it's just a coy cause I don't want to start a 200k worth position with 175k grin

What job is that?
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by smeag0l(m): 5:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
No company is Santa Claus particularly in these hard times. Most times , you usually get paid what you negotiate if you undersell yourself and you get paid what the company deems appropriate if you oversell yourself. And it is not because the company is wicked as someone in the HR department usually get accolades for doing their job excellently which is to save operating cost/recurrent expenditure by hiring someone competent but cheaper. So best thing to do is to find out salary ranges for the role you are being interviewed for from someone who used to work or currently works with that coy. Don't every play the card of throwing the remuneration question back to them as they'll still push it back to you. And best thing to do if you don't have the figures from that company is to get that of competitors and add 20 percent to it
henro4niger:

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by themodernman: 5:31pm On Jun 20, 2018
SweetJoystick:
I'm in the same position as you, at the first stage I asked for 220k as salary which is lower than the standard for the role I was being interviewed for, second stage I asked for a minimum of 300k which is the standard pay for the role, the interviewers were like why the increase, I stated my reason. However, it's paramount one does a background check on salary scale by asking from persons currently working in the firm, from people who have worked in the company or from someone who knows anyone who currently works or has worked in the company before so as not to under value yourself.

Na wa oh, docs really dey suffer for this country sha....b4 a doc collects 300k ehn? Hin go do work for sey 5years after graduation.

Chei!!! E go better.
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by themodernman: 5:33pm On Jun 20, 2018
gbagyiza:

Hanhan!!! From 125k to 500k?

Una go give person heart attack for here oh! Abi una just dey lie upadan ni?

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by opedaydydx9(m): 5:58pm On Jun 20, 2018
anigold:
lol a guy with ccecc firm told me some weeks ago I was like Wtf....
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by SweetJoystick(m): 5:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
themodernman:

Na wa oh, docs really dey suffer for this country sha....b4 a doc collects 300k ehn? Hin go do work for sey 5years after graduation.

Chei!!! E go better.
Sales job no dey easy. Us embassy dey pay nurse 500k
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by lonelydora: 6:04pm On Jun 20, 2018
1StopRudeness:

This happens alot as people don't do background investigation on remenuration of the company they are about joining...

It could backfire..if it's a company that pays different salary for staffs on the same grade..I know stanbic IBTC does that nonsense....they pay u based on ur negotiation. Only their graduate trainees comes in with a flat rate accross board

But just hope it's a COY that no matter what u say, u will still get the same standard salary scale for the level u are being employed for...

@bolded. How much is it? My wife is about joining them.
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 20, 2018
themodernman:

What job is that?

It's an IP networking job
Re: What Happens When You Quote A Salary Less Than The Position You Are Going For? by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 20, 2018
Lol that’s how in my interview I said whatever your offering the woman said I’m glad your volunteering lol was so relieved the letter said there was remuneration ...next time I’ll say what I’m worth

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

She Sacked Me because Am A Lesbian / Setting Up A Barbershop Or Going To School Abroad / How Lucrative Is Bsc Building Compare To Bsc Architecture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.