Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,659 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:37 PM

Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. (22805 Views)

HTC To Unveil New Smartphones On August 30 / Itel Partner With Google; To Launch Smartphones On Android Oreo (go Edition) / Best Smartphones On Jumia At Amazing Prices.. You Will Be Suprised At The Prices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by linearity: 4:40pm On Jun 21, 2018
dgitrader:
all boils down to lack of accurate government data base. even advanced countries deal with all this issues of trust, sincerity, class divide, banks and local mentality. when we fix our biodata systems, all other things including phone contracts will be taken care of. BVN AND NIM CODES are parts of the baby steps needed to get there.

That is true, the major issue is getting accurate information for each individual for the company’s actuaries to do an accurate credit worthiness analysis.

Even after that, given the nature of Nigeria; insuring these risks in Nigeria will be very high for the businesses and they may push some of the cost to consumers, making the eventual cost too high from the average Nigerian. This is next issue.

The other issue is near lack of accountability and lack of consequence in Nigeria. e.g. if someone buy a phone on credit and refused to honor his end of the deal two months down the road and the person is not on the run...what will you do? Arrest him? He or she gives the police 10k, they will let him go...or if you succeed in taking him to court, the case will be tied down for years there; which is an additional open recurring cost for the business and they may not to do this.

Though, it will create new sets of job opportunities for Nigerians, in terms of private companies opening up businesses to Hunter down defaulters for a fees.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by uvie66: 4:47pm On Jun 21, 2018
Contract ke....it is just impossible, as usual my people will abuse it claiming sharp guy. The fact that there is no credit history available will make it difficult. What about if Mr Okonkwo Akande collects a phone on contract in Kano knowing fully well he does not intend to fulfill the terms of the contract, comes to Lagos and sell it for 200k, does the same in Lagos and sell in Kaduna...must I go on and on. Certain things are just impossible in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jun 21, 2018
thedondada:

Simply because of the inherent dishonesty.of Nigerians as a whole.

I will not give anything on credit to a Nigerian I do not personally know. Never.

Try it and see first. You shop will be empty on the first day and then you'll start chasing debtors.

Online you'll see reactions like is it because of I-phone he's harrasing people like that.

Pls pay and carry if not leave it let it gather dust.
I concur. We're too dishonest
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by airsaylongcon: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2018
lofty900:
but they couldn't sustain it. The truth is, credit system cannot be sustained in Nigeria.

Completely false. There was a time people thought taxi services like Uber can't work in Nigeria. Or that Nigerians will never buy from an eCommerce website. Or that we would be willing (or able) to pay with cards. Someone hasn't thought about the right solution to this

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Chukazu: 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2018
1. No proper identification process in Nigeria

2. Even if you finally buy it... SARS on the Beat
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by nextstep(m): 4:59pm On Jun 21, 2018
RZArecta:
Nonsense. Major car dealers in Nigeria for example give out vehicles on instalment in collaboration with banks, if the network providers are serious, they'll investigate this option and tweak it a bit to suit their purposes especially with high end phones or other devices cool

Quite right... but of course, most people with car loans are vetted by their paychecks in a solid company. That's the first thing a bank would want to see. It may simply not be worth it to extend credit to the general market (smaller amounts, higher risk of default).

Actually, I think it's good we have cash and carry... all these buying things on contract (phones, cars, houses, vacations) has left most Americans indebted and servicing loans for the rest of their lives. The interest paid accounts for more than 20% extra on top of the initial price.

To another person talking about lack of honesty: it's not a "Nigerian problem"; Europeans and Americans can be very dishonest too... it's just that they have everybody on file so that law enforcement can be effective in catching people. They can even get the courts to pay them directly from your paycheck. In US a $1000 iPhoneX is about 1/50 the median annual income. In Nigeria it's about 10/50 the median annual income, so of course it's much more affordable in US for it to be on contract.

5 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by geezynoni: 5:10pm On Jun 21, 2018
Why not... Nigeria is a zoo.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2018
Nigerians are NOT credit worthy because we always have the entitlement mind like the whole world owes us

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by OGHENAOGIE(m): 5:16pm On Jun 21, 2018
sonnie10:
Unemployment is the biggest factor.
your head dee de... income no de flow well we have a selfish elite and govt who have sworn that it's them and their families....how many security workers and cleaners can say they would want to owned houses and cars with credit system
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by brodalokie: 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2018
Bottom line = Corruption
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by brodalokie: 5:47pm On Jun 21, 2018
Bottom line = Corruption
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by lakesider2006(m): 6:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
alignacademy:

LOL

My sister...
in fact y nailed it
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by lakesider2006(m): 6:06pm On Jun 21, 2018
alignacademy:

LOL

My sister...
in fact you nailed it
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by HAH: 6:13pm On Jun 21, 2018
They do, but is just for secured category of people, after all some people are on postpaid tariff, I can remember back in the early 2000s econet and mtn were both marketing top bankers with then choice phones and postpaid services and I believe even today they do because cost of phone is nothing to those category of people.

So people working in blue chip organization have them but most staff don't want to be encumbered because of ordinary phone and the limitation of being used on only one network

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by xdos(m): 6:21pm On Jun 21, 2018
Aswear.. It is really tough bin Nigerian. You go to the these developed countries and you wonder if the black race is cursed especially Nigeria. I am tired.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by MSN1(m): 6:25pm On Jun 21, 2018
Naija na wa, una mumu nova dooo??
Y pesin go tink of buying fone on contract wen Area boyz de para
Abeg leave big tin for pesin wen fit afford am...#Gi for ur worth, no tie ur life wit ur property ooo...remember say wen rich pesin jam arm robber, e dey tank God for Life no b stolen property oo
----Wen u buy 256GB iphone X on contract for 2yrs tink say u din arrive....3wiks leta dey slap ur eyes swell colet Am
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jun 21, 2018
Obudupikin:

Can he sell any of the cars when he hasn't fully paid the debt?
No! he can not, until he finish paying for the car he can not sell because the car still belongs to the car finance company.

i just pickd up a Brand new 230 benz SUV 2018 GLE for £349 per month payment for 60 months.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jun 21, 2018
MSN1:
Naija na wa, una mumu nova dooo??
Y pesin go tink of buying fone on contract wen Area boyz de para
Abeg leave big tin for pesin wen fit afford am...#Gi for ur worth, no tie ur life wit ur property ooo...remember say wen rich pesin jam arm robber, e dey tank God for Life no b stolen property oo
----Wen u buy 256GB iphone X on contract for 2yrs tink say u din arrive....3wiks leta dey slap ur eyes swell colet Am
what kinda language is this shocked
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jun 21, 2018
even the Nigerian courier Man/woman who would be employed to deliver the phone at the contracted buyers Address will disappear with the phones in nigeria grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 21, 2018
dgitrader:
all boils down to lack of accurate government data base. even advanced countries deal with all this issues of trust, sincerity, class divide, banks and local mentality. when we fix our biodata systems, all other things including phone contracts will be taken care of. BVN AND NIM CODES are parts of the baby steps needed to get there.
It will never work in nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by RiyadhGoddess(f): 6:47pm On Jun 21, 2018
Oh I've always wondered too. I got my phone on contract and I wondered why it isn't done in Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Obudupikin: 6:57pm On Jun 21, 2018
gypsey:
No! he can not, until he finish paying for the car he can not sell because the car still belongs to the car finance company.

i just pickd up a Brand new 230 benz SUV 2018 GLE for £349 per month payment for 60 months.

Wow!

I wish such arrangement is possible in Nigeria. I really need a ride.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Obudupikin: 6:59pm On Jun 21, 2018
gypsey:
even the Nigerian courier Man/woman who would be employed to deliver the phone at the contracted buyers Address will disappear with the phones in nigeria grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by musicwriter(m): 7:05pm On Jun 21, 2018
@op

The reason you see one US company that's wealthier than a state is because they exploit such to put their citizens in debt. Do you know many people in US are in debt for this same reason?

There is nothing wrong with the way we buy things over here. Don't buy anything you can't afford.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jun 21, 2018
Obudupikin:

Wow!

I wish such arrangement is possible in Nigeria. I really need a ride.
sorry but Nigeria does not Apply, una be thieves grin even buhari said so.

And oh! i can take the GLE back After driving it for 12 months and pick up Another brand of SUV if i want.

Most cars you see people driving in the US and USA are finance cars, why pay £40000 or 50k for a new SUV? when i can pay monthly instalmentally on credit for 4 to 5 years.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jun 21, 2018
skales67:
Nigeria is not yet ripe for contracts! Your country is a jungle infested with wild animals!
So yours is better I suppose undecided
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 21, 2018
RZArecta:
Nonsense. Major car dealers in Nigeria for example give out vehicles on instalment in collaboration with banks, if the network providers are serious, they'll investigate this option and tweak it a bit to suit their purposes especially with high end phones or other devices cool
We are not ripe yet
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Nostradamus: 12:42am On Jun 22, 2018
This credit poo won't work in Nigeria because this is infested with dishonest and crook individuals.me as a person,i don't trust a fellow Nigerian who's not my family.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by newslifeop: 1:13am On Jun 22, 2018
hmmm
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by DONADAMS(m): 2:00pm On Jun 22, 2018
DrMuzungu:
Would you sell a phone on contract to a fellow Nigerian? No? Why? Well, your answer to "why" is the answer to the question in this topic.
LMAO grin
Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by DeBrain045(m): 2:58pm On Jun 22, 2018
skales67:
Nigeria is not yet ripe for contracts! Your country is a jungle infested with wild animals!
And you are one of the wild animals in the jungle hahaha mumu.grin

Re: Why Nigerians Are Not Allowed To Buy Smartphones On Contract. by Codes151(m): 4:59pm On Jun 22, 2018
rather than tell me, why dont u tell ur govt

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Infinix Race Max Q, A Great Improvement To Infinix Phones / Photos From TECNO Fans Gathering With Johnny Drille / How I Was Defrauded At Ikeja Computer Village.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.