Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars (23559 Views)

Billions Of Naira Lost As Fire Guts Sokoto Central Market / Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars / 10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by canadadry: 10:20am On Jun 22, 2018
Very interesting!
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Misterdhee1(m): 10:25am On Jun 22, 2018
Costly mistakes indeed!

"Please consider listing as an event vendor on www.planit.ng to get more customers (100% FREE)"
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by skyhighweb(m): 10:27am On Jun 22, 2018
Ok just say u know, most of this companies and alot u haven't heard b4 are deliberately being bought and destroyed some sold for parts, while d outside world sees failure they on d inside see it has getting rid of potential competition.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by ElsonMorali: 10:31am On Jun 22, 2018
Chaii!!!

That number 1 pain me.
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by DOnlooker(m): 10:35am On Jun 22, 2018
[quote author=alezzy13 post=68703616]There are many even costlier business blunders OP did not include:

Purchase of Myspace by Rupurt Mudoch leading to loss of millions of dollars

Ford's 'Edsel' car brand in the 1950s which turned out a disaster despite millions sunk in the development and hyping

Excite, then the leader in search engine refusing to buy google for just about $1m

sale of Alaska to the US

Betamax losing out to JVC despite the fact they initially the larger market share
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Blackfire(m): 10:39am On Jun 22, 2018
So even big names fall....
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by automatix: 10:40am On Jun 22, 2018
computerboy:
Number 5 is very wrong.

Mark never agreed to sell Facebook to yahoo. Yahoo's offer wasn't $1 billion rather it was actually $1.5billion. And according to the broker that yahoo sent, when he made the offer, Mark replied "Look around me, I don't need that kind of money. Besides, I'm afraid I might not come up with a better idea than Facebook"

Hmmmm
Know your weakness... Reason why he didn't sell it cos he knows he might not have a better chance next time to start another company .

That is same reason Seun will never sell nairaland. Same reason Linda Ikeji will never sell her company.

If they were geniuses as many people tend to rate them, they could sell and start afresh but nope... They can't replicate such success cos such only comes Once in a life time

5 Likes

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by automatix: 10:43am On Jun 22, 2018
Blackfire:
So even big names fall....
not really... The truth is everybody is hustling. Nobody has the key to success but if you wish or desire to succeed, you must be willing to experiment and test many things.

All these companies with failed projects were just testing. They can purchase different project and only 1 or 2 will succeed while the rest dies.

Success is a game of numbers and trials and errors.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by countryfive: 10:46am On Jun 22, 2018
TechCapon:
9. Google buying jaiku. Cost $2 billion dollars.

Jaiku was a very popular Micro blogging website just like Twitter. It was faster than Twitter and Google bought it to compete with Twitter. Suddenly, Google shut down the site. That’s $2 billion washed down the drain!

10. Google buying dodgeball. Cost: 1 billion dollars.

It’s okay to say that apart from yahoo, Google has also made its own fair share of mistakes. I don’t know what pushed Google to make this move but they actually did. The splashed a whopping $1 billion on this App then they shut it down. I guess it’s because they have so much money and can do whatever they like with it!

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/top-10-biggest-mistakes-in-the-tech-world-history-that-cost-billions-of-dollars/
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by gbolly1151(m): 11:14am On Jun 22, 2018
I remember a man that sold 10000biitcoinn for a pizza which would have made him worth $60 millionaire today ($60,400,000)
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by AK481(m): 11:25am On Jun 22, 2018
TechCapon:
9. Google buying jaiku. Cost $2 billion dollars.

Jaiku was a very popular Micro blogging website just like Twitter. It was faster than Twitter and Google bought it to compete with Twitter. Suddenly, Google shut down the site. That’s $2 billion washed down the drain!

10. Google buying dodgeball. Cost: 1 billion dollars.

It’s okay to say that apart from yahoo, Google has also made its own fair share of mistakes. I don’t know what pushed Google to make this move but they actually did. The splashed a whopping $1 billion on this App then they shut it down. I guess it’s because they have so much money and can do whatever they like with it!

SOURCE: http://techcapon.com/top-10-biggest-mistakes-in-the-tech-world-history-that-cost-billions-of-dollars/

google crashed it to promote blog,i guess
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by MARX77(m): 11:31am On Jun 22, 2018
Naijawebmaster:
shocked

Three lessons I've learnt.

1. It pays to be patient, commited and persistent.

2. Always WEIGH the RISK before investing.

3. Never look down on anybody, no one knows tomorrow. And if people look down on you, BELIEVE in yourself. Case studies - Yahoo and Google; Kodak

very true, we should also learn that mistakes happen while taking risks... learn from them however
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by israelmao(m): 12:12pm On Jun 22, 2018
One can only learn from these mistakes rather than trivializing them.
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by tishbite41(m): 12:15pm On Jun 22, 2018
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by lazinny(m): 12:16pm On Jun 22, 2018
That apple Co founder own, I don't blame him, come on we're talking about like 40yrs ago, apple was no where, maybe didn't even have a vision if not for Xerox apple and Microsoft probably won't be where they are today. Also if you know the failure rate of start-ups you'll probably ralate to his decision. Also in most cases a company might shut down a product but still keep the intellectual property Wich is also very valuable. I didn't mention the employees whose talent will be absorbed into other projects too.
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by kboycrew: 12:21pm On Jun 22, 2018
anochuko01:
you can't get to the level of such big companies without having your fair share of huge failures.
my lesson from this is that one failure never stopped them from taking another risk.....

This is the best comment ever made by a Nigerian youth. Thumbs up to you. your ability to see the other side of the narrative will surely bring success to you.

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by samuelchimmy(m): 12:22pm On Jun 22, 2018
some of the deals you mention, especially those ending in a shut down,are not failed deals,but rather a means of cutting competitive edges in tech market
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jun 22, 2018
When you allow success get into your head because it seems like everything works in your favour and you command the market, you tend to loose out in a very short time. This is simply the case with yahoo executives and even Nokia. There is something 'that' small competitor is doing, he is looking at your product, the future and combining that of other competitors.Typical example is Samsung- they combined the feature of Nokia, blackberry and Iphone. they still have a case in court with Iphone. well, if yahoo had bought those companies, there is a chane those companies may have been dead. Now Google is not just a search engine, they are an infrastructure company. The next revolution is IoT and they are already in this space. I haven't read about Yahoo's innovation in the cloud and analytics. Another error is Blackberry allowing BBM to work on other devices. Blackberry had the first mover advatnage in the smart phone business. BBM was an IM that attracted many. for some reasons I still like it for privacy reasons- i don't have to hide my last seen and online status. for whatsapp, you got to hide it and people will know. innovation is key, looking into the future is important. Never say Not to any idea of the future. Research and read more. Be cautious of competition and partnerships. I salute Microsoft, they are a very innovative company and they will be around a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtjatz9r-Vc

http://www.youtube.ng/watch?v=JaF-fq2Zn7I

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 22, 2018
abumeinben:

Microsoft acquisition of Nokia would have been the best, but Microsoft had no plan for Nokia as they picked the not so performing boss from Microsoft to CEO Nokia. This dude ( can't remember his name) killed Nokia, approving non-bankable designs and market strategies, while refusing updates imagine a whole Nokia windows phone can not attached files to email). The most annoying part was the CEO was send forth with $20m angry when HMD global took over.
For me I think Nokia signed their death at first. Nokia was the 1st world selling phones their symbian os was selling like crazy. Not untill apple launched iphone without a dedicated keyboard. Just touchscreen. Then they felt apple was nothing. Because they have been in the business and refused to produce a touch screen phone. Still producing e series with keyboard. As of then u can do many things with symbian. And people were still into it like crazy. But no they didn't. Before then Google has not even launched android phone. The most annoying thing about Nokia symbian. Is every app built for a symbian can not work on another one. They had s60 s60v2 s60v3 etc upto s60v5. Just imagine when u downloaded an app which is sis. You can't install it on Nokia n73 cause its sisx what kind of nonsense was that.
Diffrent type of symbian phones. Nawaoo

3 Likes

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Bigsteveg(m): 12:47pm On Jun 22, 2018
Administration1:
Buying of GEJ's second term form
Lol....I swear, u be idiot grin grin
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by ediko5(m): 12:56pm On Jun 22, 2018
Wow.. It's been a very long time i read such inspiring post like this on Nairaland.

Kudos to the OP, glad to know we still have brilliant freelance bloggers in Nigeria not all these nuisance running around because of Google Adsense.

That reminds me how Hotmail, Myspace, Tagged.com have all become history.

Don't under-rate your competitors in business.
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by CSTR1003: 12:56pm On Jun 22, 2018
Russia sold Alaska to America very cheap.

Alaska is bigger than Nigeria in landmass, and has crude oil and some rare biological life.

Not to mention its strategic importance as a staging area for quick incursion into Russian airspace.

The Russians under Vladimir Putin try buying it back after seeing the true value, but it was gone forever.

It belongs to America now.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Kabaka100: 1:13pm On Jun 22, 2018
dermmy:
Failure of Nairaland to buy Lindaikeji's Blog back in 2014 grin grin

U mean when Lindaikeji's blog was with just 100000 naira. Seun should have seen the future grin

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by abumeinben(m): 1:40pm On Jun 22, 2018
CHESTER48:
For me I think Nokia signed their death at first. Nokia was the 1st world selling phones their symbian os was selling like crazy. Not untill apple launched iphone without a dedicated keyboard. Just touchscreen. Then they felt apple was nothing. Because they have been in the business and refused to produce a touch screen phone. Still producing e series with keyboard. As of then u can do many things with symbian. And people were still into it like crazy. But no they didn't. Before then Google has not even launched android phone. The most annoying thing about Nokia symbian. Is every app built for a symbian can not work on another one. They had s60 s60v2 s60v3 etc upto s60v5. Just imagine when u downloaded an app which is sis. You can't install it on Nokia n73 cause its sisx what kind of nonsense was that.
Diffrent type of symbian phones. Nawaoo

Lol...I can relate with sisx and sis extensions. The thing taya me for my N80 then (sisx, s60v3).

It was BlackBerry OS that hit hard on symbian, even before iPhone gaan. iPhone knocked blackberry with onscreen keyboard because the then CEO of RIM said "onscreen keyboard was dead on arrival, qwerty is the king. So no need to make such phones, who would type on screen?" One of the reason it took BB long to kick Nokia was battery o.

What I'm not really sure of is if Apple patented their onscreen keyboard technology..because Nokia swallowed Sendo X based on design.
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jun 22, 2018
abumeinben:

Lol...I can relate with sisx and sis extensions. The thing taya me for my N80 then (sisx, s60v3).

It was BlackBerry OS that hit hard on symbian, even before iPhone gaan. iPhone knocked blackberry with onscreen keyboard because the then CEO of RIM said "onscreen keyboard was dead on arrival, qwerty is the king. So no need to make such phones, who would type on screen?" One of the reason it took BB long to kick Nokia was battery o.

What I'm not really sure of is if Apple patented their onscreen keyboard technology..because Nokia swallowed Sendo X based on design.
Rim was never Nokia problem. Rim smartphones were even more difficult compared to the Nokia series. The only thing rim had was bbm. Apple was the cause of Nokia's failure. As they failed to update their ecosystem. Just look at Nokia 9? Running Nokia meego. That phone was just dope. Imagine if Nokia launched meego 2007?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Chukazu: 2:25pm On Jun 22, 2018
Yahoo though kiss

E be like say them they follow them from village?

Even Yahoo-boys are not smiling with them ?
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by seyoops4u: 3:21pm On Jun 22, 2018
Do you know that some company buy a company just to sink it, they dont really need it
Naijawebmaster:
shocked

Three lessons I've learnt.

1. It pays to be patient, commited and persistent.

2. Always WEIGH the RISK before investing.

3. Never look down on anybody, no one knows tomorrow. And if people look down on you, BELIEVE in yourself. Case studies - Yahoo and Google; Kodak

Still looking for a reliable website design? Then check my signature No advance payment(s) required*

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by BizBayo: 3:36pm On Jun 22, 2018
skyhighweb:
Ok just say u know, most of this companies and alot u haven't heard b4 are deliberately being bought and destroyed some sold for parts, while d outside world sees failure they on d inside see it has getting rid of potential competition.

You get the scope bro. That's exactly what is happening

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by Richardingwe(m): 4:15pm On Jun 22, 2018
computerboy:
Number 5 is very wrong.

Mark never agreed to sell Facebook to yahoo. Yahoo's offer wasn't $1 billion rather it was actually $1.5billion. And according to the broker that yahoo sent, when he made the offer, Mark replied "Look around me, I don't need that kind of money. Besides, I'm afraid I might not come up with a better idea than Facebook"

oh God
this Got me!

Like if that dude was a Nigerian, I think he would have sold it!
Re: Top 10 Biggest Mistakes In The Tech World History That Cost Billions Of Dollars by jantavanta(m): 5:37pm On Jun 22, 2018
automatix:

Hmmmm
Know your weakness... Reason why he didn't sell it cos he knows he might not have a better chance next time to start another company .

That is same reason Seun will never sell nairaland. Same reason Linda Ikeji will never sell her company.

If they were geniuses as many people tend to rate them, they could sell and start afresh
but nope... They can't replicate such success cos such only comes Once in a life time

Just as Steve Jobs started out and sold off Pixar Animation before moving on to iOS, iPad, iPhone.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

11 Ways To Make Money At NYSC Orientation Camp As A Coper Or Non-coper / Dangote Refinery To Start Production In 2018 / Ughelli Main Market In Delta On Fire, Traders Struggle To Salvage Goods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.