Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,045 members, 7,810,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:16 PM

Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars (27544 Views)

World Bank Warns CBN Against FX Control, Direct Lending, Subsidy Programmes / Standard Chartered To Shut Half Of Nigeria Branches / World Bank Warns Nigerians Against Fake Cooperative Schemes, Grants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Paraman: 11:47am On Feb 05
Standard Chartered Bank has advised Nigerians not to hoard dollars at this point due to the volatility in the foreign exchange market.

The lender gave this advice during its global market outlook on Friday.

Speaking at the event, the Head of Financial Markets & Rates & Credit Trading, West Africa, Ayodeji Adelagun, said that given the unstable naira, that was the time to buy only as many dollars as required for use per time.

Adelagun said, This is not the time to speculate, it’s not time to stockpile. It’s time to get only what you need. If you need to pay for something, buy what you need and move on.”

He pointed out that the volatility seen with the naira was as a result of attempts of the Central Bank of Nigeria to mop up excess liquidity.

The central bank is trying to mop up as much liquidity as possible to reduce the volume of cash chasing FX. The moment we will begin to get to normalcy and FX liquidity is available, and then we will begin to see the effects of some of these policies right now. So, everything is a derivative of FX management.

“In getting to the point where liquidity should improve, foreign portfolio investors are likely to get interested in Nigeria and there is a chance that we can raise money through the Eurobond.”

He added that the biggest worry for foreign portfolio investors was the lack of ease of entry and exit.

“And that is because the price in the market does not necessarily tell us where the currency should be traded. Recently, we saw the FMDQ begin to publish prices that are fairly reflective of where the market rates are. What this does is to open the door for foreign portfolio investors to bring in their money because they are likely to have a market rate.

“It is not going to happen as quickly as we want it to happen, but this is a good development, in which case there is a likelihood that we’ll begin to see a few of them coming. The moment the market continues to adjust and it is perceived to be positive, it begins to open the door for us to go to a Eurobond issuance,” he added.

In his address at the event, the Chairman of the bank, Foluso Phillips, pointed out that the way Nigerians were reacting to the forex issue would create unnecessary pressure and panic.

“My own message is let’s watch carefully. I know that the aim of the central bank, as far as other financial matters are concerned, is to try and resolve these issues.

“We must have a very positive attitude. As far as what is going on in the country, it is obvious that we are all pretty concerned. We are all a bit jittery, we invest and we’ve worked hard and we need to have our assets protected. And we need to be monitoring what’s happening in the system so that we don’t get our finger burnt, so to speak,” he said.

Likening the scenario to building a house, the bank chairman pointed out that the measures being put in place by the apex bank would require time to settle and trigger the process it was meant to do before Nigerians begin to see the effect.

He declared, “… a lot of things are time bound. When I was building my house, somebody mentioned to me that when you put in a concrete slab, you put the concrete but you got to give it time to settle. You can’t rush it. You wait before you put up the next floor. And it’s almost exactly the message I get that a lot of things have been put in place.’’

https://punchng.com/standard-chartered-bank-warns-against-hoarding-of-dollars/?amp

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by crossfm: 11:49am On Feb 05
Hehehe.

Warning ko, warning ni grin.

This baba is looking for who to deceive.I trust Nigerians,they will do the needful cheesy.

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by PUSSYHOE(m): 11:51am On Feb 05
Why does it feels like the country is at war, everybody just dey vex. Behaviors are unpredictable.

Yesterday bunch of guys were drinking celebrating arsenal triumph over Liverpool ( my love Liverpool lost).

I can't join them so I just watched them enjoy but to my surprise the thing after couple of drinks doesn't look like enjoyment anymore because they were just rushing the drinks to get high and go to bed. I was cautioning them that are they mourning or celebrating

angry people are going through a lot forget packaging.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Paraman: 12:30pm On Feb 05
Kabbie996:
dey play

6 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by princepeter566: 12:40pm On Feb 05
The disadvantage of being a sinner is that you will suffer this great tinubulation and still suffer the great tribulation

56 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by a4cube: 12:51pm On Feb 05
Paraman:
Standard Chartered Bank has advised Nigerians not to hoard dollars at this point due to the volatility in the foreign exchange market.

The lender gave this advice during its global market outlook on Friday.

Speaking at the event, the Head of Financial Markets & Rates & Credit Trading, West Africa, Ayodeji Adelagun, said that given the unstable naira, that was the time to buy only as many dollars as required for use per time.

Adelagun said, “This is not the time to speculate, it’s not time to stockpile. It’s time to get only what you need. If you need to pay for something, buy what you need and move on.”

He pointed out that the volatility seen with the naira was as a result of attempts of the Central Bank of Nigeria to mop up excess liquidity.

“The central bank is trying to mop up as much liquidity as possible to reduce the volume of cash chasing FX. The moment we will begin to get to normalcy and FX liquidity is available, and then we will begin to see the effects of some of these policies right now. So, everything is a derivative of FX management.

“In getting to the point where liquidity should improve, foreign portfolio investors are likely to get interested in Nigeria and there is a chance that we can raise money through the Eurobond.”

He added that the biggest worry for foreign portfolio investors was the lack of ease of entry and exit.

“And that is because the price in the market does not necessarily tell us where the currency should be traded. Recently, we saw the FMDQ begin to publish prices that are fairly reflective of where the market rates are. What this does is to open the door for foreign portfolio investors to bring in their money because they are likely to have a market rate.

“It is not going to happen as quickly as we want it to happen, but this is a good development, in which case there is a likelihood that we’ll begin to see a few of them coming. The moment the market continues to adjust and it is perceived to be positive, it begins to open the door for us to go to a Eurobond issuance,” he added.

In his address at the event, the Chairman of the bank, Foluso Phillips, pointed out that the way Nigerians were reacting to the forex issue would create unnecessary pressure and panic.

“My own message is let’s watch carefully. I know that the aim of the central bank, as far as other financial matters are concerned, is to try and resolve these issues.

“We must have a very positive attitude. As far as what is going on in the country, it is obvious that we are all pretty concerned. We are all a bit jittery, we invest and we’ve worked hard and we need to have our assets protected. And we need to be monitoring what’s happening in the system so that we don’t get our finger burnt, so to speak,” he said.

Likening the scenario to building a house, the bank chairman pointed out that the measures being put in place by the apex bank would require time to settle and trigger the process it was meant to do before Nigerians begin to see the effect.

He declared, “… a lot of things are time bound. When I was building my house, somebody mentioned to me that when you put in a concrete slab, you put the concrete but you got to give it time to settle. You can’t rush it. You wait before you put up the next floor. And it’s almost exactly the message I get that a lot of things have been put in place.’’

https://punchng.com/standard-chartered-bank-warns-against-hoarding-of-dollars/?amp
They should warn Tinubu and Seyi first. The Bullion Van is being loaded right now.

Meanwhile have you had of what is going on in.Nnewi in Niger State?

10 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by proeast(m): 1:40pm On Feb 05
Look at the foolish ones talking rubbish. So, Nigerians should keep their money in naira and watch their hard earned money become worthless? This man here probably has vast stash saved in dollars just like corrupt politicians but they want Nigerians to suffer alone.

29 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Paraman: 1:45pm On Feb 05
a4cube:
They should warn Tinubu and Seyi first. The Bullion Van is being loaded right now.

Meanwhile have you had of what is going on in.Nnewi in Niger State?
What are you talking about? Calm down and go through the post again

9 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Paraman: 1:52pm On Feb 05
Paraman:
Adelagun said, “This is not the time to speculate, it’s not time to stockpile. It’s time to get only what you need. If you need to pay for something, buy what you need and move on.”

“The central bank is trying to mop up as much liquidity as possible to reduce the volume of cash chasing FX. The moment we will begin to get to normalcy and FX liquidity is available, and then we will begin to see the effects of some of these policies right now. So, everything is a derivative of FX management

If you like, don't listen to professionals, keep on believing what losers, hate filled and bitter people are saying on nairaland and twitter.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Melagros(m): 2:26pm On Feb 05
COMRADES, if Nigerians hoard the dollars, APC's incompetent government is the cause

6 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Gucciblog: 2:41pm On Feb 05
Paraman:
If you like, don't listen to professionals, keep on believing what losers, hate filled and bitter people are saying on nairaland and twitter.

Sharrap.

People have been saving in Dollar before your papa was born.

Even your country saves in Dollar. Stop saying things like an illiterate.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Paraman: 2:46pm On Feb 05
Gucciblog:

Sharrap.

People have been saving in Dollar before your papa was born.

Even your country saves in Dollar. Stop saying things like an illiterate.
The advise is not for everybody.

6 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by commoditiesnig: 2:48pm On Feb 05
Good advice

3 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by 4mee: 6:48pm On Feb 05
angry
Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Emmexguy123: 6:49pm On Feb 05
I thought Nigeria is a sovereign nation?
Why are we suffering because of another country currency 💲?

How did we get to this of no return?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by merits(m): 6:49pm On Feb 05
Paraman:

They will still hurd it as usual all this noise can't stop them.

GET BINANCE WALLET ACCOUNT AND FREE YOURSELF FROM ALL THIS TRASH 🗑️.IF I LIKE I KEEP BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN MY BINAÑCE WALLET ACCOUNT NOBODY CAN KNOW CUZ IS UNTRACEABLE.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by HappyPagan: 6:49pm On Feb 05
princepeter566:
The disadvantage of being a sinner is that you will suffer this great tinubulation and still suffer the great tribulation
The only tribulation is the one you suffer, worshipping a dead Jewish carpenter.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Ibrahimcoomasie: 6:49pm On Feb 05
It's like playing lottery.
Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by CoronaVirusPro: 6:51pm On Feb 05
😄😄😄😄

It won’t work!

2 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Mozegee: 6:52pm On Feb 05
This is just the beginning of hardship in this country. You guys think everything is all about tribalism and religion

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by NAC1666: 6:52pm On Feb 05

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by TheBillyonaire: 6:52pm On Feb 05
We should simply replace the naira with dollars since oil and gas is sold in dollars and we are an importing country. Why use naira when we can use dollars grin

3 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by bigdammyj: 6:55pm On Feb 05
Reading…

2 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Coldie(m): 6:55pm On Feb 05
Y
Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:56pm On Feb 05
Emmexguy123:
I thought Nigeria is a sovereign nation?
Why are we suffering because of another country currency 💲?

How did we get to this of no return?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by Backpedal: 6:56pm On Feb 05
Paraman:
What is this one saying?

8 Likes

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by ogolemati: 6:57pm On Feb 05
cool cool cool cool they are crazy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by twosquare(m): 6:57pm On Feb 05
grin angry

When a thief accuses of another of being a thief!
Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by omoadeleye(m): 6:57pm On Feb 05
😆 oya, let the dump begin
Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by greenermodels: 6:58pm On Feb 05
Rubbish talk if you ask me, the naira is losing value because the government is not willing to move the country from consumption to production and as long as that is the case,the naira would continue to depreciate.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Standard Chartered Bank Warns Against Hoarding Of Dollars by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:58pm On Feb 05
Thunder faya their fada nyash!

Lemme order for Xtra $1k

angry

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mini Importation Business, Am I Going Crazy Or What? / What Can I Import From New York And Sell In Nigeria? / CBN Governor: Aishah Ahmad, 8 Others Struggle For Emefiele's Job - Daily Sun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.