Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,035 members, 7,818,059 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt (3690 Views)

Coronavirus: Wike Announces Total Lockdown In Parts Of Port Harcourt / Slay Queens Take To The Streets Of Port-Harcourt To Campaign For Wike. Photos / APC Members "Flogged" Out Of Port-Harcourt During Massive Rally. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by mmb(m): 6:34pm On Jun 23, 2018
Port Harcourt was founded in 1912 by Frederick Lugard, governor of both the Northern Nigeria Protectorate and the Southern Nigeria Protectorate.Its purpose was to export the coal that geologist Albert Ernest Kitson had discovered in Enugu in 1909.The colonial government caused the people of Diobu to cede their land, and in 1912 the building of a port-town was started.Other villages that were later absorbed into the city included Oroworukwo, Mkpogua, and Rumuomasi; In the creeks to the south of the original port were the fishing camps and grounds of the Okrika-Ijaw group.

Port Harcourt is the capital and largest city of Rivers State, Nigeria. It lies along the Bonny River and is located in the Niger Delta. As of 2016, the Port Harcourt urban area has an estimated population of 1,865,000 inhabitants, up from 1,382,592 as of 2006

The port was built in 1912, but not given a name until August 1913, when the then Governor of Nigeria, Sir Frederick Lugard, named it "Port Harcourt" in honor of Lewis Vernon Harcourt, then the Secretary of State for the Colonies. The Ikwerre name for the city is Iguocha, which is loaned from the Igbo word "Ụ́gwụ́ Ọ́chá"

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt
lalasticlala
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 23, 2018
This is not history....but trash...

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Omololu007(m): 6:58pm On Jun 23, 2018
Mtcheww
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by damtan(m): 7:17pm On Jun 23, 2018
If it's true, then it's a good one.
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by nengibo: 12:32am On Jun 24, 2018
Ipob people with their Wikipedia history, if unalike make una change the name Umu okija

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 24, 2018
nengibo:
Ipob people with their Wikipedia history, if unalike make una change the name Umu okija

Na their way ooo. Even the references on the Wikipedia points to Enugu.
Very funny people I must say.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by phase1: 9:52am On Jun 24, 2018
What you failed to tell us was that Lewis Harcourt (aka Loulou) was a scandalous pedophile who commited suicide according to historical sources.
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by OfficialAPCNig: 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2018
Ekinematics:

Na their way ooo. Even the references on the Wikipedia points to Enugu. Very funny people I must say.
Which phone are you using?

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 24, 2018
OfficialAPCNig:

Which phone are you using?

Galaxy Note 4.
Why ask?
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by OfficialAPCNig: 12:43am On Jun 25, 2018
Ekinematics:

Galaxy Note 4. Why ask?
Click that link again and edit the comment I quoted,
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by ehinmowo: 1:12am On Jun 25, 2018
IPOB has an online propaganda wing. They are gradually losing it.
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by 35824L: 3:17am On Jun 25, 2018
The landlocked jews trying to steal Port Harcourt since 1912! Sai Gowon. Their heads were beaten flat

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by leofab(f): 3:45am On Jun 25, 2018
Lol
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Tarzan360(m): 3:55am On Jun 25, 2018
Why is it that we don't have history in southern nigeria like the kanem bornu empire or the old gwandu katsina emirates like they call it hausa bokwei or banza bokwei or like old oyo empire? do u mean no existence of human's in this area during those empires and emirates? post ur history about them here or hide ur face
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Fuckyoumod: 4:39am On Jun 25, 2018
I keep telling people that the problems and disunity we suffer today in this country was caused by the Igbos.

And they have continued to create further disunity and hatred systematically.

Can you see how this idiot is insulting the history and heritage of the Rivers people?

The Hausa's are already killing you, the Yoruba's will soon start killing you. then let me see who will keep you safe! Mumu people...
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Odingo1: 8:02am On Jun 25, 2018
Fuckyoumod:
I keep telling people that the problems and disunity we suffer today in this country was caused by the Igbos.

Can you see how this idiot is insulting the history and heritage of the Rivers people?

The Hausa's are already killing you, the Yoruba's will soon start killing you. then let me see who will keep you safe! Mumu people...
what is wrong in what he said, is he not saying truth about the history of portharcourt

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by PFRB: 8:40am On Jun 25, 2018
Let us hear the true story.
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by mmb(m): 8:53am On Jun 25, 2018
Fuckyoumod:

Your moniker says it all. Refer to the source, i.e wikipedia. #lazyyouth
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by nengibo: 5:26am On Jun 26, 2018
mmb:
Your moniker says it all. Refer to the source, i.e wikipedia. #lazyyouth
Wikipedia source, continue
Re: Origin Of The Name Of The City Of Port Harcourt by Dreadful: 6:23am On Jun 26, 2018
Fuckyoumod:

Come on shut up your mouth idiot. Who doesn't know that Ikwerre people are Igbos. Clowns! Concentrate on the bloodletting in your country and shamelessly stop talking about unity when you know there is none. Fool

(1) (Reply)

Serious Crises In Jos, Police Station Attacked, Curfew Imposed(photos) / Nigeria's Main Problem Is NOT Corruption. It Is Lack Of Money. / What Is The Best Assault Rifle Used By Military Troops Today?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.