Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,024 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

The Baby Boy (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Baby Boy (a Short Story) (493 Views)

The Story Of A Little Boy(a Dedication To A Friend) / Life Of A Ghetto Boy (a Short Story By Osakpamwan Osadolor) / I Am Not A "Yahoo" Boy (a Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Baby Boy (a Short Story) by evaZee: 10:47pm On Jun 24, 2018
You must have a baby boy first for your husband “ mama Odinaka said through the phone speaker as she advised her daughter Odinaka.
In fact three boys first before you will consider a baby girl, she continued.

But why mama? Odi queried.
Am I not your first child? Or ain’t you proud of me?

Odinakachi don’t ask me questions, I am your mother and I know what is best for you.
You must do as I said, have boys first. That will grant you security in your husband’s house and lots of respect.

Hmmmm! Odii breath out, wondering if her Mother had lacked security and respect after having her for her father but she couldn’t argue any further.
Okay mama” I have heard what you said but don’t forget iam not God ,how can I choose the gender of my baby by myself?

Hahahahaha, mama Odii laughed feeling excited over her success in convincing her daughter on her ideology.
“Nkeahu bu obere okwu “ don’t worry my child I will you fix that.
“Fix kwa” Odii exclaimed with her eyes wide open, wondering how her mother wants to fix a baby boy inside of her.

Odinakachi I said don’t worry, just answer my questions as they come. Okay mama, Odii responded
Mama Odii- when was your last moon blood?

Odii- Hia! Moon blood kwa

Mama Odii- menstrual period. Otele!
Odii- (Chuckles over her mother’s outburst and calling her otele)

Oh oh that? It was last two weeks ago

Mama Odii- when is the next?

Odii- I don’t know mama, it should be next month nah, I see it every month.

Mama Odii- which day in particular?

Odii- ( getting uncomfortable with all the questions) I don’t know

Mama Odii- Are you sure you are my daughter?
I doubt that, Odii wanted to say but she held herself

Odii- But mama how will all these questions help me birth a boy child when I get pregnant?

Mama Odii- Olodo! You need all these information if you must conceive a boy child.

Odii- But how so?

Mama Odii- ( now angry at her clueless daughter) To have a male child, Odinaka nwam, you must meet your husband a day after your ovulation or at least the night of your ovulation. Anytime before that is a baby girl or no baby at all.
Now you don’t even know your menses period not to talk of your ovulation

Infact Odii” I will come to your house next week so we can sit down with a calendar and I will draw the timetable for you.
My credit is almost finished, mtn has already warned me on a minute remaining. When I come I will explain everything better. but before then be careful while meeting your husband , you know what I mean.
Don’t worry about that mama, he is out of town now. Odii said to her relief.

While Odii was pregnant, after conceiving strictly by her mothers instruction and strategy, she prided herself around like a woman who has gained respect and security, afterall that was what her mum said making a boy child will help her achieve.

She didn’t waste any time to announce to anyone who cared to listen that she was having a baby boy, she also told everyone what his name will be .
I will name him after his father Ugonnaya.. Ugonnaya junior. Her husband Ugonnaya Alozie, though indifference about the sex of his child was equally happy to be having his first child. He also welcomed the name.

During shopping for the baby things , Odii made sure that every item selected for the baby was in Blue colour, her mother has specifically told her that Blue is for boys while Pink colour is strictly girls, when she couldn’t find a particular item in Blue she rather come another time or maybe go for a closer colour but she is not coming near any pink item.

When labour came, just like most women Odinaka did not have it easy. She was in labour pains for 6hours, her husband and her mother were there to share in her pain. When she was fully dilated, she pushed a few times and with the peak of her strengths she finally pushed out Mr Ugonnaya Alozie’s child from her system.

While the doctor stitched her vagina cut, the nurse cleaned up the baby, while Odii was still crying over the amount of pain she felt all over her body. The nurse wrapped the baby up in a Blue flannel, moved closer to Odii and said “ don’t cry again madam,
Here is your beautiful baby girl, the nurse continued. She looks just like yo...
Baby what?? Odii cut her short, jumping a little from her lying position. Her action startled the doctor dressing her wound and he moved back as well.

The door to the labour room flung ajar , it was Mama Odii.
That can’t be nah! She shouted as she approached them.
Odigi possible, I did the calculations myself.
Doctor please can they be moved to a private ward? That was Mr Ugonnaya. No one noticed when he entered and took his baby from the nurse.
I need a nice place right now to spend with my beautiful princess. He continued with a smile
This is my bundle of joy and nothing is going to rub me from spending precious moments with her.
I love you...... Adannaya
#thebabyboy #frommyachive
Re: The Baby Boy (a Short Story) by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jun 24, 2018
Work on your punctuation skills.
Nice plot

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Creative Nonfiction: Diary Of A Disappointed OAU Freshman / The Final Examination!!! / Your Worst Typographical/autocorrect Error Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.