Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,121 members, 7,811,155 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why I Collected ₦260 Million – Bishop Of Lagos Diocese Speaks Out - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Collected ₦260 Million – Bishop Of Lagos Diocese Speaks Out (340 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Celebrates Okupevi As First Indigenous Bishop Of Lagos Diocese (Pics) / Catholic Bishop Of Nsukka Onah Singing Kizz Daniel's Song 'Cough' (Video) / Peter Okpaleke Resigns As Bishop Of Ahiara Diocese, Mbaise In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Collected ₦260 Million – Bishop Of Lagos Diocese Speaks Out by chikachuks1(m): 10:54am On Jun 26, 2018
The Bishop of the Diocese of Lagos of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion), Adebola Ademowo, pushed back vehemently on claims that he misappropriated ₦260 million belonging to the church.

The letter, dated March 1 and addressed to Nicholas Okoh, the Primate of the Church of Nigeria, was a response to accusations of financial impropriety and election malpractice levelled by some members of the church against Mr Ademowo.

While presenting his achievements in the church in his almost two decades as bishop to the Primate, Mr Ademowo detailed the origin of the recent controversy which has embarrassed the church and exposed its leaders to ridicule.

Ten members, who identified themselves as prominent financial members and elders in the church, had accused Mr Ademowo of causing division and hatred among members, receipt of funds from the Diocesan Board for his personal use, and the placing of his family members in strategic positions.

The aggrieved members also accused the bishop of manipulating the electoral process that led to the emergence of Humphrey Olumakaiye as his successor.

In his letter to the Primate, Mr Ademowo maintained that his 18 years as bishop of the Lagos Diocese has put the church on a strong financial footing more than ever before.

“It was alleged that my period in the Diocese of Lagos was a disaster,” Mr Ademowo began.

“I came to the Diocese and met the sum of ₦1.5 million only on the account with a salary bill of over ₦3 million per month for the clergy excluding other workers.

“I have by the grace of God, within the period of my Episcopacy been able to place the Diocese on strong financial footing.

“We have 32 flats buildings in Lekki Phase 1, generating over ₦50 million for the Diocese annually.

“We have a flat in Ikoyi generating over ₦10 million for the Diocese annually. We also have an hostel for the Diocese of Lagos built at Ajayi Crowther University, Oyo, generating over ₦20 million annually.”

Mr Ademowo said the foundation for the allegations against him was laud at the Vestry meeting of the Cathedral on February 25, 2018.

“At the said Vestry meeting, a vast majority of the Cathedral members made it known that their silence is only on account of their desire for peace and pursuit of same and not because they were in agreement with the fallacious and provocative allegations.”

Mr Ademowo said contrary to the allegation that he had promoted hate and division, the clergy of the Lagos Diocese are more united than they had ever been.

“When I came they rarely related with one another,” the bishop said.

“But by the grace of God, we have a policy now which promote the motto of ‘for one is for all.’ My clergy are a living witness to my ministry in promoting unity and harmony among them.”

In addition to ensuring that the monthly stipends for the clergy never exceeds the 22nd of every month, Mr Ademowo said he also initiated interest-free loans to enable them buy lands and develop their personal buildings in preparation for their retirement.

The bishop also dismissed claims that he approved the publication of photographs of himself and Mr Olumakaiye, his successor, in the church’s calendar ahead of the election. He said it was practice of the women in the Diocese to reflect, in their annual Almanac, bishops and priests as well as the laity who performed major roles in the church.

On the allegation that he collected ₦200 million to build his retirement house, Mr Ademowo said it is an “established fact” that houses are built for retiring bishops and vehicles purchased for them by their dioceses.

He said he had already begun plans for the building of his retirement house before it came to the knowledge of the Diocesan Board who then decided to support him with ₦200 million.

“I will like to bring to your notice that the Diocese of Lagos West built a house for The Rt. Revd Dr. Peter Adebiyi at a cost of over ₦200 million in 2013, the Diocese of Lagos Mainland built and furnished a house for The Most Revd Prof Adebayo Dada Akinde on retirement for over ₦250 million for his services to the Diocese of Lagos Mainland for about ten years in the year 2016.

“I would have spent over 18 years as the Bishop of Lagos on retirement.”

For the full Story, follow the link below
http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/bishop-of-the-diocese-of-lagos/
Re: Why I Collected ₦260 Million – Bishop Of Lagos Diocese Speaks Out by chikachuks1(m): 3:48pm On Jul 12, 2018
God will help the church. it's time to apply all the proceedings of GAFCON. Read the full GAFCON proceedings from the link below

http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/gafcon-2018/

(1) (Reply)

Deliverance From Fornication And Adultery / Muslims In The House Enlighten Me On This / The Transforming Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.