Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,123 members, 7,821,849 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada (10705 Views)

FUT Minna Post-graduate Studies 2013/2014. Anyone? / Pains Of Undergoing Post Graduate Studies In Benue State University Makurdi / Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 2:59pm On Sep 25, 2010
I am convinced if you give the best 9ja guys the opportunity you and the asians ve, they wud outperform your bunch, Appreciate and encourage your fellow 9jrians like you did stimes in "Preparing for GRE" thread, and 9ja wud be better off.

True but its going to be hard convincing graduate admission officers about that. Also as I said there are other Nigerians getting 790 who have never left Nigeria b4. Nigeria is a big country and there are people from Unilag, UI, OAU, Nsukka all wanting to go and study abroad to do pet engineering too I am sure. Always think in terms of competition. There are lots of brilliant people around
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2010
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to appreciate every contributor on this thread for your continuous efforts at keeping this thread alive.
I have done my GRE, gotten my transcripts, recommendation letters, SOP, and I'm about to begin applying to the respective institutions of my choice but I haven't done my TOEFL, I'd be writing it on the 9th of October. Please is it advisable to submit my application to the schools now since I've stated it that I intend writing and sending the scores in October during the application or do I wait and submit my application after I've written it considering that TOEFL would not send my score till 14 business days after the test, which means I'd be submitting it around the third week of October.
Thank you for your responses.
Cheers
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 1:09pm On Sep 26, 2010
wow, i am impressed you are an early starter.

Are you applying for this fall or this coming january. Submitting it on the third week of october is good. Usually lazy people like me would not start applications until december 15 earliest
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by ayex0001: 1:45pm On Sep 26, 2010
Thats the lazy people serious people wont. lol.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 2:50pm On Sep 26, 2010
@SEFAGO,
Thanks for your reply. I'm going for the youth service program late next month, and that's why I've been pushing hard to submit it early. From your response, I reckon you're implying that I should wait till after I've done the TOEFL before applying right?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 3:07pm On Sep 26, 2010
Yeah U are going for batch C NYSC if I am correct?

Good idea to try and get everything in as soon as possible. batch C camp starts on the 26th of october, so maybe when you get your scores, you should just have everything packaged and ready for you to dispatch immediately your toefl scores are received. Early applications are viewed favorably I tell you. I know some people who were already getting offers in december who turned theirs in by november.

However would you not like to know your NYSC placement so to include it on your CV that you send to the school? Or at least to wing it into your SOP?

What type of toefl are u taking- is it the iBT? because when i took the toefl it was the cbt and u got ur score immediately. I think they just recently introduced the ibt so i dont know how long the scores take.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 3:46pm On Sep 26, 2010
@SEFAGO,
Yeah , you are very correct, I'm going with the batch C service year program.
I'm not sure where I'm going to be posted actually and considering I'm from Lagos State, it makes my chances of serving in Lagos harder. Most of the schools I'm applying to did not request for my CV. Would you advice me to add it all the same when I'm sending my SOP, recommendation letter among others as well?
Furthermore, my CV isn't exactly filled with relevant working experience. I'm just a young blood finishing from undergrad (mech engrg) with CGPA 4.0/5.0, GRE-Q750/V600, good recommendation letters from my profs lecturer and applying for a masters in petroleum engineering HOPING, PRAYING, I GET AN ADMISSION WITH AN ASSISTANTSHIP.
DAYOKANU was kind enough to vet my SOP for me. It'd be a pleasure if you could also go through my SOP as well. Unfortunately I can't put it here to avoid my statement being plagiarized for now.
Can I get your email address so I can send it to you please?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2010
yeah sure definitely send me ur SOP. I cannot guarantee feedback until probably around the 12th of october. You have good GRE scores.

Concerning the CV- do you have any awards you won in university, like maybe some short IT (Industrial training) you did, some programming skills you have achieved or maybe short courses or anything- if you can think of anything that you did that might be relevant to petroleum engineering, you could try and include it in your CV. There are lot of CV templates on microsoft word.

Its good to include a CV though its not always required- it gives them an idea of your skill set and experiences. I am sure you ahve probably included some of these in your SOP anyways

yeah i kinda understand the lagos thing though- just pray u get somethin good.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by jidebiz(m): 5:34pm On Sep 26, 2010
@SEFAGO,
Thank you, but you didn't write your email address, or are you on yahoo messenger, maybe I could add you.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by seuncaroline: 11:54pm On Sep 27, 2010
@SAFAGO, dayokanu and all,
Do you ve any idea around what month or period wud grad sch send admission/rej/waiting replies to applicants for Spring 2011 as I found Apr 15th as the Graduate Council date for Fall Session in your http://forum.thegradcafe.com/ site you gave, The deadlines are Sept1 for intl app (Spring2011) and Oct-Dec are just the duration left to get necessary docs and visa?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by astinno(m): 6:37pm On Oct 23, 2010
Hello Guys,

I Have been reading this thread and I must say its a very good one.

I am also planning to do a Masters in Petroluem Engineering in the US and after seeing the scores being reported here, the fear wey dey catch me no be small,

Anyway here is my profile, please I need input on how good my chances are:

- Mechanical Engr Graduate from Uniben.
- Cum GPA of 3.8/5
- GRE Scores : Q=710, V = 560
- TOEFL iBT = 114/120
- 5 years work experience with Oil service comp.
- Underwent a lot of trainings that covered good portions of the masters curriculum
- Came out top 3 in most of my training courses.
- My LOR is from my training instructors in the US and somes bosses, and I think they are quite good

I am applying to TAMU, University of Tulsa, Okhlahoma University and after reading this thread, Univesity of Houston.

Please guys can you comment on my chances. I am especially worried about my GRE scores and GPA,
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by myforumid3: 10:12am On Oct 25, 2010
ast_inno:

Hello Guys,

I Have been reading this thread and I must say its a very good one.

I am also planning to do a Masters in Petroluem Engineering in the US and after seeing the scores being reported here, the fear wey dey catch me no be small,

Anyway here is my profile, please I need input on how good my chances are:

- Mechanical Engr Graduate from Uniben.
- come GPA of 3.8/5
- GRE Scores : Q=710, V = 560
- TOEFL iBT = 114/120
- 5 years work experience with Oil service comp.
- Underwent a lot of trainings that covered good portions of the masters curriculum
- Came out top 3 in most of my training courses.
- My LOR is from my training instructors in the US and somes bosses, and I think they are quite good

I am applying to TAMU, University of Tulsa, Okhlahoma University and after reading this thread, Univesity of Houston.

Please guys can you comment on my chances. I am especially worried about my GRE scores and GPA,
ur switching from mech engr to pet engr?
nice profile but ur chances wud ve been brighter if ur gre score and gpa were higher, considering that you are aiming for the top schs(tamu,uh,OU,TU), maybe > or = 4.0/5 gpa and a gre math score of >730, great SOP and lor wud make a great application, try picking safe schs and adding it to the lis, ok
so u wont be too disapntd but i'm sure u have a good chance tho not very bright enuf, gud luck!
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by astinno(m): 8:52pm On Oct 25, 2010
your switching from mech engr to pet engr?
nice profile but your chances wud ve been brighter if your gre score and gpa were higher, considering that you are aiming for the top schs(tamu,uh,OU,TU), maybe > or = 4.0/5 gpa and a gre math score of >730, great SOP and lor wud make a great application, try picking safe schs and adding it to the lis, ok
so u wont be too disapntd but i'm sure u have a good chance tho not very bright enuf, gud luck!

myforumid3,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess am not too surprised about your comments on the GPA and GRE scores.

What other safe schools do you recommend?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 26, 2010
I have been seeing adverts and also hearing it from pple. What is toefl and gre ?pls are there any international exams available for undergraduates.and u guys should pls remember answering my question b/c i saw some of the questions u guys skipped.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 12:27am On Oct 27, 2010
ast_inno:

myforumid3,

Thanks for the feedback. I guess am not too surprised about your comments on the GPA and GRE scores.

What other safe schools do you recommend?

Include LSU for trial lol. I dont know many petroleum engineering safety. PET is very competitive
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by astinno(m): 8:36am On Oct 27, 2010
Ijecs:

I have been seeing adverts and also hearing it from pple. What is toefl and gre ?pls are there any international exams available for undergraduates.and u guys should pls remember answering my question b/c i saw some of the questions u guys skipped.

They are both standard tests you need to write to show your competency in English language and suitabililty of Graduate study in the US and Canada. For more info, visit, ww.ets.org.

SEFAGO:

Include LSU for trial lol. I dont know many petroleum engineering safety. PET is very competitive

Yeah, this Petroleum is just unbelievably competitive. I will take your advise and add LSU to my list, I would have love to re-write the GRE but I cant becuase of my work schedule. I only had 2 weeks to prepare for the last one, when I got an impromptu vacation.

I have also decided to re-write my LOR to focuss on some of my professional achievements. I plan to retract the one I already sent to TAMU. I called them and they asked me to send the new one via email. Do you see any downside in this?

I actually work for Schlumberger, have written 2 SPE Papers, gotten some letters of award, Do you think any of this will help?

Forumid, yeah regarding to your question, am switching from Mech to Pet Engr becuase thats where I have my work experience.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by ican1: 9:09pm On Nov 07, 2010
Hi every1, i have spent the last 6 hrs going througn study abroad section of this forum and i must confess that it has been a great wsource of information.

Now to what brought me to this forum.

I studied metallurgical engineering in a Nigerian Sch, i DIDNT make a 1st class but made +4 on a 5 scale.

I have been working for 2yrs now in an indigenous energy company as mechanical engineer

Having learnt much about the oil industry, i have decided to do a post graduate program.

I have never bought d idea of a US sch until now because am always afraid that i may not be able to afford it.

Also i cannot quit work and spend my hard earned saving in d UK since a job is not guaranteed after completion of studies.

So i decided to commence a distance learning programme (MSC Petroleum Engineering at Heriot Watt University, UK)

This is costing me close to 2million and will take nothing less than 18months to complete.

I now have the Heriot Watt admission though i havent made any serious finaancial commitment.

On a second thought, i feel i shud consider doing GRE and TOEFL and apply to Top US schools for Pet Engineering though i am aware that i need to blast d GRE and TOEFL.

JIf u were in my shoe, what wud u do, will u consider completing d DL hoping it will play a role in gaining admission to top US Pet Eng Schools considering that i am changing profession.

Or just bone the Heriot DL and save all d cash for a US Pet School even if i dont have to attend d very big names owning to my existing discipline.

Please help.

Regrds
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by myforumid3: 11:00pm On Nov 09, 2010
ast_inno:

I actually work for Schlumberger, have written 2 SPE Papers, gotten some letters of award, Do you think any of this will help?
Forumid, yeah regarding to your question, am switching from Mech to Pet Engr becuase thats where I have my work experience.

yea, ur work experience n letters of awards (on d job or academia?) wud definitely boost ur chances, like Mr. guru, SAFEAGO said, lsu may make a safe sch but not very sure cos pet engr is f, king competitive, and lsu was among the top ten like 2-3 yrs ago,
for safe schs, try schs not on the top ten/fifteen list, like U of l, UAF,Montana Tech, Kansas, or so forth, Several factors come into play for grad sch admisiion and for pet engr, you want to make sure u r tight on all sides, else, u might just be wasting some good hard earned $$$ Slb is pumping into ur acc.
i hear heriot watt and robert gordon (if u ve d $$) is great esp for experienced people like ur type and its 1yr, so spread ur eggs into canada n europe cos u never can tell,

@Safeago, wer u @ all dis while, guess study has been great.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by SEFAGO(m): 11:23pm On Nov 09, 2010
I never said LSU is a safety oo. Sefago no send you guys ooh. I just think you should apply to as many places as possible then leave the rest to statistical probability. I agree spread your legs around everywhere and include safeties- there are lots of options around the world. With your work experience you would have an edge anywhere you go.

@Safeago, wer u @ all dis while, guess study has been great.

Good man. Observing from the background. I talk too much, and I dont know it all lol. Several people here have displayed knowledge superior to mine especially dayokanu so no need for me to do much.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by areaboi: 6:18pm On Nov 10, 2010
Computer Science
GPA of 2.77/5

What is the possibility of getting an admission in a top university in the united states??.pls help!!!
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by Bigsam4(m): 11:21am On Nov 11, 2010
O'level student need admission over sea, what shud i do
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by lailai2(m): 2:27am On Nov 24, 2010
nice thread, we should keep this going, i'm just about to start my applications too. . .
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by myforumid3: 11:24pm On Nov 25, 2010
lai-lai:

nice thread, we should keep this going, i'm just about to start my applications too. . .

which schs and courses? whats ur profile?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by lailai2(m): 12:24am On Nov 30, 2010
myforumid3:

which schs and courses? whats your profile?

hey bro, i'm looking to study petroleum engineering in the usual schools though alberta is my top choice for certain reasons
i've a chem engr bsc degree, my cpga was 4.3, i got 1400 and 110 in the gre and toefl. . . . i'm struggling with the statement of purpose at the moment for alberta, heard its very important in their preliminary application, any advice?

and how is ur spring 2011 admission processing going?
hope u are getting ready to leave
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by astinno(m): 9:09am On Dec 08, 2010
Hey Guys wats your opinion about Texas Tech University for Petroleum Engineering?

I already applied to TAMU, Tulsa, Uni of Oklahoma, LSU, Uni of Houston and now am thinking of adding Texas Tech to the list

Do u know anyone who has studied there before?
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by myforumid3: 6:21pm On Dec 16, 2010
lai-lai:

and how is your spring 2011 admission processing going?
hope u are getting ready to leave
nah, the sch replied that their dept didnt send necessary docs early enuf, gotta wait till fall session.
did u make a 1st class? what course and which sch?
success with ur app,
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by lailai2(m): 11:42pm On Dec 16, 2010
myforumid3:

nah, the sch replied that their dept didnt send necessary docs early enuf, gotta wait till fall session.
did u make a 1st class? what course and which sch?
success with your app,

ok, sorry about that. . . i'm also applying for fall too
nah, didnt make a first class, 4.3. . . unilag

1 Like

Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by astinno(m): 12:30am On Apr 07, 2011
Hello Guys,

Just got admission into the Uni of Houston for Summer session, Still waiting on the rest.

Called TAMU, they said they havent made a decision on my case, but a lot of applicants have already been denied, so I am still hoping for something good.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by tabarity: 4:04am On Apr 18, 2011
ast_inno:

Hello Guys,

Just got admission into the Uni of Houston for Summer session, Still waiting on the rest.

Called TAMU, they said they havent made a decision on my case, but a lot of applicants have already been denied, so I am still hoping for something good.

Congratulations on your admission. But which one is summer session?grin Just curious. Do you have to enroll by June when the summer semester starts? Do you pay for that?
As regards TAMU, they've made the first round of offers and all accepted applicants must have accepted or declined last week. So, hopefully you should get a decision this week or (unfailingly) next week.
Goodluck!
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by lailai2(m): 10:44pm On Apr 19, 2011
tabarity:

Congratulations on your admission. But which one is summer session?grin Just curious. Do you have to enroll by June when the summer semester starts? Do you pay for that?
As regards TAMU, they've made the first round of offers and all accepted applicants must have accepted or declined last week. So, hopefully you should get a decision this week or (unfailingly) next week.
Goodluck!

I also applied to TAMU and i'm still waiting. I hope they make their decision quick abeg. . . . but why will anyone want to decline TAMU
I guess u've accepted yours, tabarity
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by ashley86(f): 10:41am On Apr 21, 2011
Hi guys, am still an undergraduate in 3rdyear studying Computer Science at Osun state University Osogbo. Am currently on a 4.12(cumulative for 1st and 2nd year). Am graduating in july 2012 and would like to study my masters abroad. Could u please recommend schools to me, especially in countries where it will be easier to find job opportunites? Not sure whther to study in Canada,USA, or UK. Am more concerned about job opportunities. Would also appreciate recommended scholarships or schools that offer financial aids. Also, how soon do I have to apply? Planning to start septemver 2012 or july 2013, wen's d best tym to start applying. Pls guys, ur help will be appreciated.
Re: General Question On Graduate Studies In Us, Uk Or Canada by tabarity: 1:26pm On Apr 21, 2011
The rule of thumb is that you start the process approximately 18months before your desired enrollment date. That means that if you want to start with your graduate programme by Sept 2012, you should begin now. You will have to prepare hard to take the GRE. Your best bet is to TRASH the thing to give yourself an edge for fellowships. You will also have to improve on your GPA. Admissions (esp in the US and Canada where there are better post-graduation job opportunities) are progressively getting tougher and more competitive every year.
So take the GRE and TOEFL, get your transcripts, get good recommendations (that can take longer than you might anticipate), write great admission essays and apply early (for fall 2012, I'd suggest applying[b] latest[/b] by December 2011). However, I would advise that you concentrate on improving your GPA for now (this is your only chance).
Hope it helps.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture, Umudike (mouau) 2011/2012 First Choice Admission List Rele / Nairaland Interschool debate: Obafemi Awolowo University winner 8 / "all Protocols Duly Observed": A Grammatical Blunder?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.