Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. (50386 Views)

He Doesn't Want To Attend His Convocation Ceremony Because He Had A 2.2 (Pic) / Why You Must Finish With At Least A 2.1 / Names Of Tuition Free Universities In Norway, Canada And Sweden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 12:58pm On Mar 05, 2012
Hi Nairalanders,
    I'm Kunle. I have a 1st degree in Chemical Engrng- 2nd Class Lower Div(2:2); 3.14 CGPA to be exact. I intend to put-in for a Master's degree program in Offshore(subsea)/Petroleum Engineering at a reputable school in one of the mentioned countries:

CANADA- I tried the 5 schools offering what's close to what I want and also contacted advisors and admissions officers alike  whom, after being told I have a 2:2 degree, wished me luck and said goodbye each time. These are the schools:

UNIVERSITY OF ALBERTA
UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY
UNIVERSITY OF REGINA
DALHOUSIE UNIVERSITY

Meanwhile, folks from MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY OF NEWFOUNDLAND take SECOND CLASS and are willing to review my credentials but the problem is application has been closed for 2012 admittance since Nov 2011 and I don't get to apply until Sept 2012 when the forms are out for Fall 2013 start date!

UK- well, I really have not checked ALL the admission requirements of the schools and dunno yet which ones take 2:2 of Aberdeen, Newcastle Uni, London South Bank, Herriot-Watt, Imperial College, Cranfield, Robert Gordon.

US- I know most schools here require one to take GRE, TOEFL and whatnot but I really need advice from you guys.

Norway- DOes anyone know anything about University of Stavanger or Norwegian University of Science and Technology(NTNU)?

Pls I need help badly and urgently, too!. Kind regards!!

1 Like

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 5:41pm On Mar 05, 2012
I forgot to add this: is it advisable to bother myself with GRE knowing the school won't take someone with second class lower division anyway?
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by solomonokeigar: 3:19pm On Apr 07, 2012
Hi bro, i have been on this same issue for the last 8 months. Don't even think of putting your hopes on MUN. I have same grade as you do (3.17), applied to MUN in Nov. too but was rejected in February. For Uk institutions I will advice you pick out of strathclyde, london south bank, cranfeild or university of salford Manchester because they are the only one that accept a 2:2 from Nigeria for PET/Sub-sea Eng. I hope i saved you some time of rigorous search with this info.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 10:25am On Apr 09, 2012
@Solomon, you just are the best, mate! It's really hard for an olodo like me...lol. So which one(s) exactly have you settled for? Do you think it's worth it going to all these consultants for them to handle your applications? What do you know about US schools? Would a good GRE score stand you in better stead with these US schools, despite the fact you have a 2:2 degree or one shouldn't even start to bother? Plssssss come back and replyyyy!! Thank you
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by solomonokeigar: 2:21am On Apr 13, 2012
The consultants thing depends, it is only advisable for U.S or Canada but for UK its a total waste of money because you can easily get admitted by just filling applications to schools online. For schools in the U.S with a good GRE score you might get admission if you are lucky, I'll say its not certain but you can give it a try.

1 Like

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 7:29am On Apr 13, 2012
Ok. I have tried Strathclyde and lsbu. Shld start Salford application today. I must admit I realy am nt down with the lsbu ranking, mate; too low! Bt an olodo like me isn't actually in a position to b picky. I wIsh I cld get more petroleum/subsea/offshore engineering options that admit olodos with a 2:2! Thanks a lot, mate- appreciated.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by solomonokeigar: 5:44pm On Apr 13, 2012
I totally understand bro, then you should go for Uni Salford or strathclyde. strathclyde is in Scotland the energy center of UK plus there are lots of Nigerian over there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 5:47pm On Apr 13, 2012
Thank you very much, Solomon.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by Emmaokudu: 5:59pm On Aug 05, 2012
So solomon which did u pick eventually? Cause I'm in a similar predicament
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 10:27am On Aug 08, 2012
I was offered admission by both schools. I chose Salford because they offered me Pet and Gas Engrng. I ignored Strathclyde because they did not inform me initially I'd need an English test score and it was almost too late to start preparing as I was hoping to be for September intake. Awaiting my visa.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by Emmaokudu: 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2012
Which English test to be exact, I thought the English test were for candidates from countries where English language isn't their first language. Cause I'm considering strathclyde , I'm thinking of doing a masters in one subsea related course I saw on their brochure. Any ideas if Robert Gordon may accept a 2:2? Although the requirement clearly says 2:1 for Nigerian candidates.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 12:04pm On Aug 10, 2012
Emmaokudu: Which English test to be exact, I thought the English test were for candidates from countries where English language isn't their first language. Cause I'm considering strathclyde , I'm thinking of doing a masters in one subsea related course I saw on their brochure. Any ideas if Robert Gordon may accept a 2:2? Although the requirement clearly says 2:1 for Nigerian candidates.

IELTS(preferable) OR TOEFL should do it. You already have your answer. It's stated on their website they take only 2:1 from Nigeria. I was also going in for Subsea Engineering bt opted for Salford instead.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by samsumgsapple(m): 7:01pm On Jan 14, 2013
I finished with a 2ndclass lower 3.47 cgpa and I wanna do a master in Engineering management or Master in information systems security in Canada,Pls any idea of Schools I shud try??
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 2:51am On Jan 15, 2013
samsumgsapple: I finished with a 2ndclass lower 3.47 cgpa and I wanna do a master in Engineering management or Master in information systems security in Canada,Pls any idea of Schools I shud try??

Hi, I really do not know much about management courses over there. I'm in the UK. Maybe you can find posts by folks in Canada? or what do you think?
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by beejaybrave(m): 9:06am On Jan 16, 2013
Apple checkout "www.concordia.ca" they've been looking for you!! Hope I helped!
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 5:17am On Jan 17, 2013
beejay_brave: Apple checkout "www.concordia.ca" they've been looking for you!! Hope I helped!

Are you sure they've been looking for him? As far as I'm concerned 2:2 is a no-no in Canada. Trust me, I tried my best, even with my brother being a National there. I'm now in the UK, though. You should prolly let him try, but make sure you've got insurance, just in case. Goodluck!
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by beejaybrave(m): 10:03pm On Jan 22, 2013
Yeah, He should just try it out got little to loose! Please shall we know more about your UK system and what funding is like?!..
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by monsurx2: 12:01am On Jan 23, 2013
hello all, i studied industrial chemistry @ FUTA nd i wish to pursue a masters degree in either petroleum or chemical engineering. Do I need to enroll for any post graduate diploma?
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 5:31am On Jan 24, 2013
beejay_brave: Yeah, He should just try it out got little to loose! Please shall we know more about your UK system and what funding is like?!..
I wouldnt understand what you mean by 'funding'. The system is not bad at all, though.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 5:33am On Jan 24, 2013
monsurx2: hello all, i studied industrial chemistry @ FUTA nd i wish to pursue a masters degree in either petroleum or chemical engineering. Do I need to enroll for any post graduate diploma?
No, you do not need to. You may have to do a foundation course, though, should your 1st degree's grade be found wanting.

1 Like

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by Birichie(m): 5:27pm On Jan 26, 2013
kunlewoye:
No, you do not need to. You may have to do a foundation course, though, should your 1st degree's grade be found wanting.
what about a degree in chemistry?
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 11:29am On Jan 27, 2013
Birichie: what about a degree in chemistry?
Usually, chemistry wld also be acceptable but it depends on the school you're trying out. Do more research online. I do not know the requirements for each school. I might be able to answer a more general question.

1 Like

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by dolpaz: 8:48am On Feb 11, 2013
hey

1 Like

Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by ukyasna: 9:20pm On Apr 06, 2013
Hello guys! How about the medical fields, Biochemistry to be precise. Which of the above mentioned schools should I put in for with a 2:2?

I need your help please!!!
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by GBYB: 8:17pm On Apr 07, 2013
kunlewoye:
I wouldnt understand what you mean by 'funding'. The system is not bad at all, though.
good day elder! Plz be specific, how much in Nigerian currency would be able to fund a masters degree in the Uk. plz start with ur schl. thanks cos i would love to do it over there but you know 'poor pple like us'.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by chidi4sam(m): 5:03am On Apr 10, 2013
I love this topic but my own case is that I studied Elect/Elect engr in a polytechnic. I came out with an upper credit but wish to further in subse or oil n gas courses. Do I stand any admission chance in canada or usa for a further study? I need help plz. Tnx
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kennyrony(m): 9:27pm On Apr 14, 2013
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 12:16am On Apr 25, 2013
dolpaz: Hey bro, for extra olodo like us who also had financial issues during school, and crazy lecturers and finally ended up with third class, what can be done?? which country can i get a school offering m.sc in computer sci/ or comp engnr in europe
I'd love a good response and no insult pls

I'd forget about North America. Look schools up all over Europe. I really do not know much in this case. In my own case, I discovered the Canadian schools were a waste of my time so I opted for the UK where I'm almost done with my programme.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 12:20am On Apr 25, 2013
ukyasna: Hello guys! How about the medical fields, Biochemistry to be precise. Which of the above mentioned schools should I put in for with a 2:2?

I need your help please!!!
I'd like to advise you to look up these schools yourself. You really would do yourself a world of good knowing exactly what you're getting from a particular school and not just applying to any school someone conjured up for you on Nairaland. You could try the UK ones. North American schools are a waste of time when you have a 2:2 really.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 12:29am On Apr 25, 2013
GBYB: good day elder! Plz be specific, how much in Nigerian currency would be able to fund a masters degree in the Uk. plz start with ur schl. thanks cos i would love to do it over there but you know 'poor pple like us'.
It's not really like that, mate. Depends on which course you're putting in for. I majored in Chemical Engineering in my UG and doing Pet n Gas PG now. The normal range is usually between £10k-£16k (budget 3-4M for tuition alone). Apart from accommodation and upkeep. and I would beg you to not think you can just come and "rough" it here. You will spend at least about another £5k (at least) on accommodation and maintenance. You really don't want to be getting notices about dues and rent expiry. These people no easy. 4.5-5M should do it. I'm being very candid
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by kunlewoye(m): 12:35am On Apr 25, 2013
kennyrony: Am a graduated from the Department of Animal production, I graduated with second class lower 2.2, I will like to enroll for my master program abroad, preferably UK.

I will be very much greatful if I can be provided me with the following informations

1. The requirement needed as an international student.

2. The tuition fee (with and without) scholarship.

3. Accommodation (Fees)

4. Visa fee

5. Flight Fee

6. Possibility of getting a part time job wen I get there.

7. And lastly the universities in which I can apply to with low tuition fees

I need all this information so as †o enable me prepare myself for the studies because I don't want to miss the next admission.

Thanks, I will be expecting your reply.

I would like to help but I really can't give all of this info as these things change from time to time. Be specific on what you want exactly and do some research over the internet to know more about your preferences.

Meanwhile, for any one looking to the UK, this thread would be assist you immensely: https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4

You can go on there to meet other potentials at different stages of their application.

Cheers.
Re: Obtainable Options For A 2:2 Grad In Canada, Us, Uk, And Norway. by olasanni(m): 1:24pm On Jul 29, 2013
@kunle am also thinking of coming over to the uk for my graduates program...but am thinking what are my chances of staying after finishing,because I think uk don't really give that opportunity for you to stay and find a good job after your through with ur program.Thanks.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Houston Single Mom Of 5 Graduates From Law School, Poses With Her Children / Afe Babalola: How FG Can Reopen Schools, Universities Within Four Weeks / Bride Writing Her Exams In Benue State University On Her Wedding Day (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.