Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

I Want To Be A Computer Engineer - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Want To Be A Computer Engineer (5689 Views)

Advice A Computer Engineer!!!! / Job Oportunities Of A Computer Scientist That Wants To Work In An OIL COMPANY! / Help! I Need A Computer Engineer's Job/trainee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by wande(m): 3:08pm On Jan 03, 2006
I have been working with a computer for over 10 years and still know little or nothing about the hardwares please can some tell me where i a can get the training on how to be become a full flex computer engineer within a short time, without all the hazzles of going for a lenghty lectures on computer engineering becos i already have the knowledge and experience.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by Seun(m): 3:32pm On Jan 03, 2006
You can go to COvenant University for a degree course in Computer Engineering. Once you graduate in 4 years, you'll be a full-fledged Computer Engineer. How about that?
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by wande(m): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2006
mind you I already have a B. SC. in banking and finance, covenant university is not the solution for now
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by Seun(m): 7:09am On Jan 04, 2006
This is an interesting case. Why do you want to become a computer engineer? Tell me about it!

In your opinion, what does Computer Engineering involve? Does it go beyond what a computer technician does? Just checking!
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by lifexpress(m): 7:21am On Jan 09, 2006
Relationships, Education and Career are a set of self-development tasks.

The first is about how to find the next door of opportunity in your life everyday. The second is about how to know what you need to be in control of your life as soon as you enter through the door. The third is about how to be the best child of God you can be distributing gifts of creation for the good of all. Recall the divine command about how to pray: seek & u'll find, knock & it'll be opened, ask & u'll receive.

When you rush into a profession too soon, much like chatting up your next girlfriend because she looks so pretty, the next part of the task holds the cutting edge. If you get home and you find you have something else on your hands, you might not be able to run for it as fast as you should.

Yet this comes down to what we must learn from religion, how to let God choose for you everyday. If you want to be a computer engineer, let God show you in your sleeping and waking dreams whether you have the calling for that area of service or career.

And how do you do this;
1. You could write a letter to God before sleep and put it under your pillow, then enjoy your rest, You'll wake up with a dream you can relate to what you are thinking, feeling or doing in your life.
2. Sing the sacred name of God HU, pronounced as 'hue', in a soft and sweet drawn out melody for twenty minutes before sleep.

A waking dream is an event in your day which provides a clear answer to a question that only you may have asked.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by Nobody: 9:50am On Mar 04, 2006
Attend a 4 year college and get a degree. You can be a computer technician in a year not a computer engineer. Pls dont mistaken a technician for an engineer!!!! u will really get me mad!!!!!!
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by anton(m): 4:29pm On Mar 05, 2006
Get some text books on electrical theory, microprocessor design, software design, microelectronics, and study the historical and comtemporary issues around moore's law, computer application, and cutting edge developments.

Mind you, it is a huge field, but if you decide on what are you want to specialize in, that'll save you alot of time and effort. If you just want to "know" hardware and not design hardware, then just get a good A+ certification guide.

Computer technicians fix computer and are hands on personnel. Computer engineers usually over see technicians in the work place and have a greater grasp on the conceptual body of knowledge that is computer engineering. Remember engineers are just specialized, highly trained managers that focus on using mathatics to solve practical, physical problems. If that is your ilk, then have at it!

In the united snakes you have to take the Test and put in four years of work before an actual Professional Engineer
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by LoverBwoy(m): 11:29am On Mar 06, 2006
okay u want to be a computer TECHNICIAN, i will suggest u search the internet for "how to build your own computer", print the basic computers u need then go to computer village buy them, build your own computer,

from there start tryin things out for yourself, basically the more hands on u are the more u become a pro , TEACH urself or do apprenticeship with a computer repairer

Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by AbujaBoy(m): 10:51pm On Mar 06, 2006
Well, I'm 18, I've been using computers since I was 5 and I had similar problems with computer programming and hardware (I still have a bit of hardware issues till date) but if you really want to learn the inz and outz of computers I'd advise you to read certain docs that're related to your issues.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by Maxflame(m): 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2006
Open up your cpu and fiddle with the parts. wink
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by mukadas(m): 11:09pm On Mar 04, 2007
Computer engr is all about troubleshooting & repair a pc . What u need to come to computer village and learn how to do anything computer.reading books is just a backup don't just become an engr without screw driver.4 me i am proud to be one of d village engineers.just in 1½years i can do many things on d machine called computer.i can do : scaning machine,networking,troubleshooting,monitor/ups .believe me i am in the midst of engrs and i tapd alot from them dat is why i can come out to proof dat i am an engr i know and every engrs in computer village dat knew me believe me as well. to be assure just carry one of ur scanner to ikeja and ask about 5 engrs to direct u to where you can fix it i know dat they will mention muka
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by Seun(m): 9:05am On Apr 05, 2007
Good idea. The computer village is where the experts are. But they are more of technicians than engineers.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by ishmael(m): 4:16pm On Apr 05, 2007
Seun:

Good idea. The computer village is where the experts are. But they are more of technicians than engineers.

Do we have Engineers in Nigeria?? I think all of them are the same thing (Technicians). Or have they engineered anything in Nigeria before?? Engineers in Nigeria are more or less Technicians.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by abstarr(m): 5:06pm On Apr 05, 2007
I won't advise even my enemy to go for a four year course in anything IT. Cos The industry is very dynamic. It changes every year and is too fast to be contained in a rigid four-year structure. u can achieve a lot more with some certifications like MCSE and CCNA. Since u already hav a first degree, u can easily switch into the IT industry!
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by Kashif(m): 12:14pm On Apr 13, 2007
If you want to become a Computer Engineer, then you must have to go for at least, four-year tertiary institution training, and acquire B.Eng. There is no short cut sad

But if on the other hand, you want to become computer 'engineer' then go to all these makeshift training centers and learn computer appreciation, assembly, installation, troubleshooting and 'stand out' with computer networking grin grin

With these, you will end up with screw drivers, crimping tools, LAN testers, etc.

When they ask Computer Engineers who know algorithms, Memory architecture, logic/digital signal, processor design, assembly language, etc to come out, you will be no where to be found undecided undecided

Best of luck dude.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by ishmael(m): 1:06pm On Apr 13, 2007
Not in nigeria.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by zebra(m): 12:28pm On Apr 20, 2007
Kashif:

If you want to become a Computer Engineer, then you must have to go for at least, four-year tertiary institution training, and acquire B.Eng. There is no short cut sad

But if on the other hand, you want to become computer 'engineer' then go to all these makeshift training centers and learn computer appreciation, assembly, installation, troubleshooting and 'stand out' with computer networking grin grin

With these, you will end up with screw drivers, crimping tools, LAN testers, etc.

When they ask Computer Engineers who know algorithms, Memory architecture, logic/digital signal, processor design, assembly language, etc to come out, you will be no where to be found undecided undecided

Best of luck dude.

Hey, Computer Engineers carry those tools around too. In Nigeria they are all technicians.
Re: I Want To Be A Computer Engineer by durojaiye1951: 10:03am On Aug 24, 2018
mind you I already have a B. SC. in banking and finance, covenant university is not the solution for now

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Investment Banking, Mergers And Acquisition, Raising Capital / Tech Vs Finance / Professional Advice Needed: CISA vs CIBN vs ACCA ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.