Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,723 members, 7,827,633 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy (2769 Views)

Gej Visits Sanusi, Seeks His Support For Re-election / Sanusi Seeks Ban Of CAN, JNI, Afenifere, ACF, Ohanaeze, Others .. / Sanusi Seeks 200 Percent Hike In Electricity Price ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by OAM4J: 5:25am On Jun 08, 2010

[size=14pt]Sanusi Seeks Removal of Fuel Subsidy[/size]

Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi yesterday urged the Federal Government to curb a major part of its wasteful expenditure pattern by removing the subsidy on petroleum products imported into the country.
Sanusi argued that the policy of subsidizing fuel importation has not been beneficial to the masses but has merely enriched a few privileged Nigerians.

His call for fuel subsidy removal came as the Minister of Finance Olusegun Aganga disclosed that Nigeria ’s external debt profile has risen to $4. 3billion and warned against unnecessary borrowing by governments at all levels.
The duo made their positions known in separate presentations at the National Workshop on the Processes and Procedures for Obtaining Local and Foreign Loans by Federal and State Governments.
The workshop was organised by the House of Representatives Ad Hoc Committee on Investigations into Foreign and Local Loans in collaboration with the CBN, Debt Management Office, Nigeria Stock Exchange, Securities and Exchange Commission and the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation.

Sanusi, who decried the retention of fuel subsidy despite the overwhelming evidence of its negative impacts on the economy, disclosed that the Federal Government had often times borrowed to pay subsidy debts to the “cabal” in the oil sector.
The CBN governor disclosed that the Federal Government spent over a trillion naira on subsidy last year while another N570 billion may be expended on the same this year.
“The money is going to a cabal. These are the same people that borrow from the banks and do not pay; they are the ones rigging elections and are aiding corruption. We have to cut them off,” he said.

Besides the removal of subsidy, Sanusi said the Federal Government needed to plug the numerous loopholes in its revenue chain to avoid a situation where the country is forced into borrowing when it could have conveniently executed its programmes with better monitoring of its revenue collecting agencies such as the Nigeria Customs and Excise and the Federal Inland Revenue Service.
He also advised government to keep a tab on its domestic debts, adding that it would not be enough monitoring only the foreign debt portfolio. According to him, increased domestic debt may also lead to serious economic problems as the government will then be borrowing every year to service these local debts.

The minister of finance, who gave an update on Nigeria debt profile, said at the end of 2006, the country’s debt burden was only $3.54 billion, a huge improvement from the $35.94 billion position before Nigeria exited from the Paris Club of Creditors in 2005.
However, by December 2007, it had risen to $3.67; by 2008, $3.72; in 2009, $3.62 and by March 2010, it has grown to $4.3 billion.
Similarly, the country’s domestic debt has risen to N2.4 trillion.
Aganga, who allayed the fears of stakeholders over recent borrowings, explained that the current external loan portfolio was mainly concessionary loans with long repayment periods.
He, however, warned that the country needed to set its priorities right to avoid returning to the pre-2005 days of huge debt burden.
In a keynote address delivered at the opening of the workshop, House Speaker Dimeji Bankole explained that the workshop was not designed to stop government from borrowing but to ensure that the country is sufficiently insulated from those ones that are unecessary.

“We are not on any mission to decree against borrowing whether foreign or domestic but we are persuaded that borrowing, where inevitable, should be functional, productive, backed by value and in optimal cases self liquidating,” he said.

Source
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by OAM4J: 5:28am On Jun 08, 2010

Sanusi, who decried the retention of fuel subsidy despite the overwhelming evidence of its negative impacts on the economy, disclosed that the Federal Government had often times borrowed to pay subsidy debts to the “cabal” in the oil sector.
The CBN governor disclosed that the Federal Government spent over a trillion naira on subsidy last year while another N570 billion may be expended on the same this year.
“The money is going to a cabal. These are the same people that borrow from the banks and do not pay; they are the ones rigging elections and are aiding corruption. We have to cut them off,” he said.

Hummnnmmnnn. . . the guy sure knows something we don't know.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by naijaking1: 5:47am On Jun 08, 2010
Removal of fuel subsidy is a very good idea, we should have done it 10 years ago, but there was no political backbone for it.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by chelseabmw(m): 1:23am On Jun 09, 2010
for once sanusi is right
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by usbcable(m): 1:32am On Jun 09, 2010
I loved the part of election riggers most, that are thesame borrowing cabal.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by davidif: 6:24am On Jun 09, 2010
won't cost of petrol skyrocket if subsidies are removed.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by homerac7: 6:58am On Jun 09, 2010
we must always come to it. avoidin it is postponin the evil day
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by babaowo: 7:47am On Jun 09, 2010
so that we can be buying fuel @ 150 per litter
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by freezy(m): 8:10am On Jun 09, 2010
Was it not the same subsidy that has been regularly removed over the years which was responsible for the increment in the pump price of petrol from N3.50 => N11 => N22 => Forty something => N70 and then N65 because the barrel price dropped internationally?

If it wasn't subsidy that was removed, why the astronomical price increase(s)?

If it was subsidy, how come it is being removed over and over again? Does it have a way of creeping in through the back door? undecided

If that is the trend, methinks subsidy will be removed now (again), and in a few years, someone'd come up saying govt has been subsidizing all along! Subsidy woulda crept in again. cheesy

The earlier we stop importation, outsource the refineries, build and outsource more refineries, we are still coming back to this same spot.

So dear Mr CBN [s]'Big Mouth, Press Loving, Attention Seeking'[/s] Governor, if you have so much energy (and resources, I hope) to spare, you might wanna pay attention to the bolded part above and let us hear word, abeg. angry
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by wazobiang: 8:28am On Jun 09, 2010
economics, economics, economics!
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by DisGuy: 8:33am On Jun 09, 2010
freezy:

Was it not the same subsidy that has been regularly removed over the years which was responsible for the increment in the pump price of petrol from N3.50 => N11 => N22 => Forty something => N70 and then N65 because the barrel price dropped internationally?

If it wasn't subsidy that was removed, why the astronomical price increase(s)?

If it was subsidy, how come it is being removed over and over again? Does it have a way of creeping in through the back door? undecided

If that is the trend, methinks subsidy will be removed now (again), and in a few years, someone'd come up saying govt has been subsidizing all along! Subsidy woulda crept in again. cheesy

The earlier we stop importation, outsource the refineries, build and outsource more refineries, we are still coming back to this same spot.

So dear Mr CBN [s]'Big Mouth, Press Loving, Attention Seeking'[/s] Governor, if you have so much energy (and resources, I hope) to spare, you might wanna pay attention to the bolded part above and let us hear word, abeg. angry

is that what you employed him for? what has obaseki, obj and several southerners in charge of petroleum sector done with regards to the bolded part? when Aganga, G jonathan, soludo said the same thing it makes sense when aboki man says it you dismiss it
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by hollandis(f): 8:42am On Jun 09, 2010
[b]Was there a subsidy in the first place?[/b]How can you claim subsidy when you are making huge profit?NNPC is making profit,The marketersare making profit.Then who the heck are they subsidizing? Very annoying utterance ! Instead of finding ways to ensure that the subsidy is properly accounted for,the Ewu is seeking an outright cancellation.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by freezy(m): 8:52am On Jun 09, 2010
Dis Guy:

is that what you employed him for? what has obaseki, obj and several southerners in charge of petroleum sector done with regards to the bolded part? when Aganga, G jonathan, soludo said the same thing it makes sense when aboki man says it you dismiss it

Sir,

I just looked through my post again and I did not see any part of it indicating an aboki's perspective. This is not the first time I've commented on the continuous removal of fuel subsidy.

I'll plead with you not to tribalize this thread, so sensible comments can come in.

One last thing: Was he employed for the Power & Aviation industry? I guess your response 'll be 'No' But have you observed how much he has made available to these industries recently?
Ponder on that, then you'll prolly understand my points above.

Thanks
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by ud4u: 9:08am On Jun 09, 2010
What is Government subsiding,

Other OPEC countries sells fuel cheaper than Nigeria in their countries [/b]and every time they will be shouting that government is subsiding fuel. Let me tell you there is nothing like fuel subsidy. How much is the cost of the importation of the fuel and if they tells me is more costlier than what they are selling to us then I will ask them why other countries are not like that. So if they are using us for business they better tell us now.

Let them sell the fuel at the rate of [b]100 or better still 150
, after all they are not buying it with their own hard earned money instead is the lotted money at the detriment of the poor mases.

Sanusi please do some better things and stop seeking attention.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by otondo55: 9:11am On Jun 09, 2010
Seconded, the fuel subsidy should be removed.

Good job there, Sanu!
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by sirvick(m): 9:16am On Jun 09, 2010
this is the first good good thing sanusi has done, its like his has come back to his mind, why not make noise the way he made at the banks and crate more problem at country economy
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by trublu1(f): 9:33am On Jun 09, 2010
Lets hope the 'powers that be' actually take note and start to implement this!
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Bukittes(f): 9:34am On Jun 09, 2010
Why won't people mind their own business and their own sectors for Christ's sake? Let him go and solve all the banking epileptic problems before chuking his nose in other peoples pot of soup abeg!!!
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Akanbiedu(m): 10:09am On Jun 09, 2010
Bukittes:

Why won't people mind their own business and their own sectors for Christ's sake? Let him go and solve all the banking epileptic problems before chuking his nose in other peoples pot of soup abeg!!!

freezy:

Sir,

I just looked through my post again and I did not see any part of it indicating an aboki's perspective. This is not the first time I've commented on the continuous removal of fuel subsidy.

I'll plead with you not to tribalize this thread, so sensible comments can come in.

One last thing: Was he employed for the Power & Aviation industry? I guess your response 'll be 'No' But have you observed how much he has made available to these industries recently?
Ponder on that, then you'll prolly understand my points above.

Thanks

You don't have to mention aboki specifically for us to know your mindset.

It's like some guys didn't read the post before commenting:

The  workshop was  organised by the House of Representatives Ad Hoc Committee on Investigations into Foreign and Local Loans in collaboration with the CBN, Debt Management Office, Nigeria Stock Exchange,  Securities and Exchange Commission and the Office of the Accountant-General of the Federation.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by abdulram: 10:44am On Jun 09, 2010
WHAT SANUSI IS SAYING IS NOT RIGHT, WHAT HE SHOULD BE CLAMOURING IS THAT WE SHOULD BUILD OUR OWN REFINERY SO AS TO CREATE JOBS, STOP IMPORTING FUEL AND REDUCE CAPITAL FLIGHT.

WHAT HE IS SAYING IS JUST A PALLIATIVE SOLUTION.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by abdulram: 10:56am On Jun 09, 2010
WHAT SANUSI IS SAYING IS NOT RIGHT, WHAT HE SHOULD BE CLAMOURING IS THAT WE SHOULD BUILD OUR OWN REFINERY SO AS TO CREATE JOBS, STOP IMPORTING FUEL AND REDUCE CAPITAL FLIGHT.

WHAT HE IS SAYING IS JUST A PALLIATIVE SOLUTION.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by luciano80(m): 11:12am On Jun 09, 2010
well, my take is that the subsidy be cut off, use all that money to maintain our existing refineries, sanitize the downstream sector to ensure nation wide distribution and at the same time, creating jobs. But my fear is that the CABAL won't sit idle and watch their MEAL ticket snatched away from them, i assure you that they will come up with a new terminology and start their looting all over again. So it all boils don to the level of corruption in the Govt. If its not tackled effectively (God help Us with that Battle) then we all are wasting our time on this.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by redsun(m): 11:24am On Jun 09, 2010
But isn't this just the clear a part of our woes and failure as a people?For the most populous country in africa and the 7th largest producers of crude oil to be importing refine fuel for domestic uses shows that we are not just the ants of africa but of the world.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Vavavoom(m): 11:28am On Jun 09, 2010
The failures of yesteryears are slowly but gradually catching up with a state whose penchant for waste and blind eye to corruption are all too common. Greed has made us turn against ourselves, empathy lacking in nearly all our deeds. No service to nation. All to self.

3 refineries and we still look outside to make up for the shortfall. Shame. But is it? While the masses groan under disproportionate income-to-expenditure rate, a few previleged onesthe Otedolas<Zenon Oil>, Lukmans,  <Sahara/Heritage/Afren>, Danjumas <Akpo field>, Iboris< 3 Jackuprigs!, Onome, Oritsetimeyin, have the country in their pockets.

The truth is in saner climes these bunch would be sitting in jail serving prison sentences, but no, not Nigeria. Subsidy is money paid indirectly to already rich crooks aforementioned above<Otedola for Diesel and Lukman for PMS> at the detriment of Nigeria. These same lot easily contribute to the ruling party during fund raising. so the cycle continues. Grease my palm I grease yours. The incentive is so huge that these fellows don't give a rat arse wether our refineries work or not. So why Lamido may be right in what he says the status quo ain't changing while these rogues continue to fund the ruling pdp with their ill-gotten loot.

PS>> If anyone searched properly they'd discover the imported products come in from refineries owned by associates of pdp< past presidents, power brokers and the usual Shenanigans>
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by redsun(m): 11:36am On Jun 09, 2010
The name for nigerian government is 'gangtercracy'.Godfatherism,favoritism,intimidation,ignorance and the oppression of the gullible masses,that have been inherently brought up to believe that it is normal to be led by retards.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 11:39am On Jun 09, 2010
@ Aboki Guy[s][/s] sorry i mean Dis Guy:
Whats your problem? Please don tribalize or abokilize[s][/s] this interesting thread.

@Frezzy, Bros i dey feel you die, ride on, ask them ooo whether it has a back door of creeping in.

@Me  in conclusion: Subsidy + PIB (Local Content) = great Nigerians/Massive job opportunities
Bye
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by freezy(m): 11:49am On Jun 09, 2010
Akanbi_edu:

You don't have to mention aboki specifically for us to know your mindset.

It's like some guys didn't read the post before commenting:

In other words, you are insinuating. . .

The issue I raised was not selective to Mr Sanusi. It is an anomaly thing that has become a norm over the years.
Cut the anomaly out if indeed you want to impact.

That's all I said. . . I dunno where the Abokilized insinuation came from
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by jfking2005(m): 12:07pm On Jun 09, 2010
Sanusi is making good sense but he need to take it one step after the other.

Firstly we need to license more people to build and manage refinery privately and remove all the inhuman condition on the license conditions, even more than 10 refineries.

you will be surprised that there are so many Nigerian who has so much money to build refineries in this country even if its the proceeds the so call cabals get from the so call subsidy but the licence conditions are so bad that scare investors away but i learnt that few Nigerian has this refinery outside where the conditions are favourable.

Seconldy outsourced 2 of Nigerian refineries to a private companies while Nigerian Govt manage 1 to serve as a control for others let the govt manages 1 themselves while the other 2 by private operators who will have a major share so lets weight the cost of maintaince both from Govt own and privately managed refineries and you will notice corruption on govt---its a know fact.

Further more allow the market forces to determine the price while the govt refinery is used as a control with a gradual removal of subsidy then later after it has stabilizes then  start thinking about total subsidy removal.

then we can start enjoying the benefit of total subsidy removal because you will be amazed that the total cost of refine a litre of petrol from crude locally will even be far lesser than the N65 we buy presently.

God bless Nigeria but will punish Nigerian who knows the truth but will never let them be implemented.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by slaughter(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2010
Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi yesterday urged the Federal Government to curb a major part of its wasteful expenditure pattern by
 (1) Remove the exchange of Ghana Must Go in the house of rep and senate and unecessary allowances
(2)unecessary P.A (personal assitance) numbering up to 10 for one senator (3)avoiding inflated contract both at the senate and house of rep (4) Removal of N65M security allowance from governor allocation (qudos to late pa Adedibu),  mr sanusi this and many more are the wasteful expenditure pattern of government and dont come with the rubbish to remove subsidy ,  because that is d only thing we benefit from govt, at least u know how good our schooL,road,N.E.P.A,water are, pls hit the nail on the head and dont be scared
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Parnassuss(m): 12:20pm On Jun 09, 2010
Like all things, this has its goodside, and counter. But like all things IN NIGERIA, this will probably end with some1 getting kicked out of office and another 'final solution' creeps up to answer all queries. The crux here lies in our debt, rising in warp speed. I feel Sanusi though, i think its time we introduced 'austerity measures' to our governments, they spend like wide fire burns, and never have sh*t to show. angry
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by EvilBrain1(m): 7:10pm On Jun 09, 2010
i think its time we introduced 'austerity measures' to our governments, they spend like wide fire burns, and never have excreta to show.

This Sanusi guy is turning out to be the only good best appointment Yar'Adua ever made. He's the only person in Abuja that seems to understand that Nigeria is a poor country.
Sadly most Nigerians have been conned into thinking that the subsidy benefits them in some way when all it does is waste money, promote corruption and make a handful of people very, very rich. And this handful of people will keep promoting this lie as long as they can, preying on public ignorance and using groups like the misguided NLC to prevent needed reforms.

All subsidies are bad, and anybody who disagrees should have paid more attention in secondary school economics.
Re: Sanusi Seeks Removal Of Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2010
another one dimentional viewing of complex issues. you do not have to throw the baby with the bath water.
if you remove subsidies now pump price will sky rocket and no government will survive such a policy. Keep in mind removal of such subsidy will also come with full deregulation of downstream sector.
If something is not working you can make it work without destroying that thing.

the best checkmate to any cabal is to build local refineries with capacity to refine all the petrol we consume.

exporting crude and importing petrol is pure madness. we are being exposed to international market forces for a product we have have in our backyard and thats ridiculous.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wahala Dey Oo! The Rich Also Cry. / Primate Ayodele: The Prophet Who (fore)saw Independence Bomb Blast. / Top 10 Countdown: Hits By Dame Patience Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.