Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,115 members, 7,818,324 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? (7912 Views)

Poll: How Fluent Are You?

Very Fluent: 62% (69 votes)
I try: 17% (19 votes)
Not Good: 10% (11 votes)
I cant Speak It: 10% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Which Nigerian Languages can You Speak? / Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Do You Speak Yoruba? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Dungren(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2010
I am amazed by the number of teenagers (even up to mid twenties) that cannot speak their mother tongue fluently. What would happen to their own children and the generation after them?

There would be a total loss of our cultural heritage if parents do not make it a point of duty to teach their children how to speak fluently in their mother tongue.

Some would tell you that its not Behind to speak in any other language apart from English. Haba! where are we heading?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Sissy3(f): 8:02pm On Jun 08, 2010
where are we heading?

to the future
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Dungren(m): 8:57pm On Jun 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

to the future

I think we are heading to another man's future, where we can never be fully accepted.

The musicians have been there and that's why they are heading back home by including local dialects/slangs in their songs.

1 Like

Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by udezue(m): 10:15pm On Jun 08, 2010
I speak and write fluent Igbo and I am in my 20s.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Idowuogbo(f): 10:54pm On Jun 08, 2010
r@poster
ri fil mehn , d rates are ril sad
i speak really fluent yoruba but i neva had d chance 2 catch up wiv me oda igbo half . my yoruba writing is terrible but am catchin up .
u can hardly tell am new 2 d game
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:19pm On Jun 08, 2010
I speak, read and write general Ngwa, fluently.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by AndreUweh(m): 11:29pm On Jun 08, 2010
ChinenyeN:

I speak, read and write general Ngwa, fluently.
Did you learn that in school?.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:32pm On Jun 08, 2010
No. I never went to school for anything Igbo. I learned it all at home.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by PokerFace(f): 1:10am On Jun 09, 2010
I speak and write Hausa fluently  smiley
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by chelseabmw(m): 1:24am On Jun 09, 2010
i can't even speak my local language well but i hear undecided
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by iice(f): 1:31am On Jun 09, 2010
~Sissy~:

to the future

lol. . .true that cheesy
But i think its cool to know how to speak atleast some language
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by EEVICTOREE(m): 1:34am On Jun 09, 2010
I cant really Speak Ukwani but i hear, Heading to my 20s
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 2:00am On Jun 09, 2010
It's because some yoruba family are prohibiting their children from speaking yoruba in order to not have any accent when speaking English. I find that very foolish and retarded.

What a shame.

@post
Yes, I can fluently. . . .and can write it too, with the tonal accents and stuff tongue
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by OAM4J: 2:31am On Jun 09, 2010
OP

I agree with you. I have observed same.

I can speak, read and write Yoruba very fluently with all the punctuations (amin oke, isale ati arin)
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Princek12(m): 2:37am On Jun 09, 2010
Any parent who expresses that the child speaking only in English is preferable to the child speaking both in English and the native tongue so that the child will speak English without an accent is suffering from extreme inferiority complex. I can speak fluently and write both in my native tongue and English, and it has benefited me.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Fhemmmy: 2:41am On Jun 09, 2010
Can speak it really well, but cant read it. . . . . . embarassed
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by dayokanu(m): 3:04am On Jun 09, 2010
I can speak, write, read and even think in Yoruba

Whats wrong in an accent anyway?
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by silvertuke(m): 3:08am On Jun 09, 2010
How are we sure that this comments posted are real? somebody said he can speak, read and write with his language. well it's a good thing but we don't know if you are telling us the real fate.

You know urself, please can you just write us in your language so that we all can see and be Convinced that what you told us is nothing but the truth.

Just write ( With God all things are posible ) with your language. please make sure you do that because we are waiting to see it.

Have a nice day

Silver Cares
[color=#000099][/color][size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 3:14am On Jun 09, 2010
dayokanu:

I can speak, write, read and even think in Yoruba

Whats wrong in an accent anyway?
lol I know. . . .all you think about is eba and ewedu grin
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by dayokanu(m): 3:17am On Jun 09, 2010
And some lactose diet to go with it
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by silvertuke(m): 3:18am On Jun 09, 2010
You said you can speak, read, write and even thing in Yoruba only u? Ok just write ( With God all things are posible ) with your language. please make sure you do that because we are waiting to see it.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 3:19am On Jun 09, 2010
silvertuke:

You said you can speak, read, write and even thing in Yoruba only u? Ok just write ( With God all things are posible ) with your language. please make sure you do that because we are waiting to see it.
Who exactly are you referring to?

And just because you asked it, I wont be proving anything. . . so NEXT! cool
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Nobody: 3:21am On Jun 09, 2010
dayokanu:

And some lactose diet to go with it
Sebi our mom breastfed you. . . . I think thatz enough grin
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Sissy3(f): 3:39am On Jun 09, 2010
iice:

lol. . .true that cheesy
But i think its cool to know how to speak atleast some language

i think its cool too but the problem is that most people think why learn something thats not marketable in the gobalworld unlike other foreign language that gets you somewhere. for instance if our mother tongue was french or spanish which are one of the foreign languages spoken by most of the countries in the world, its very marketable business-wise and otherwise unlike Yoruba,igbo, huasa and others.

and then you have the inferiority complex of accents(which i personally think bs) and the mentality of being 'oyiboized' and lack of pride in our identity. all these things are definitely taking us to the future where (english only please signboards) will be the new black for both young and old. sad, but its exactly where we are heading
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by benlay(m): 3:50am On Jun 09, 2010
i was surprised by the topic, "local language", it should be mother's tongue or native language.
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by dayokanu(m): 3:51am On Jun 09, 2010

Pelu Olorun, ohun gbogbo ni yo see se

@benlay,

Oga soja, O to ojo meta
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by samdigo(m): 5:18am On Jun 09, 2010
dont kno how 2 speak or write it, sry
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by davidif: 6:23am On Jun 09, 2010
I can't speak Ekiti but i can speak yoruba (basic level).
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by earlalright(m): 6:26am On Jun 09, 2010
60%
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by myke1759(m): 6:28am On Jun 09, 2010
i speak fluently in my language n writing  is inevitable (Yoruba). when it comes to that. i'm the bomb!
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by israelite(m): 6:49am On Jun 09, 2010
I speaks basic YORUBA even with exotic proverbs but am catching up to speak Ekiti, cos am not around those people speaking ekiti,
Re: How Well Can You Speak Your Mother Tongue? by Tcrack(m): 6:51am On Jun 09, 2010
i speak yoruba like every other lagosian.
the truth is, i have never seen any yoruba man speaking yoruba only. we always tend to add one english word or another. even the illitrates who cant speak english do this too .same applys for the ibos.  dont know much about hausas.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Learning Yoruba (phonology) / Why Do Edos/binis Have Yoruba & Igbo Looks / When Are We Going To Start This Festival In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.