Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,547 members, 7,827,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss (43693 Views)

Wife's Phone Searched & All Contacts Deleted By Her Boss, Can I Sue Or Not? / Lady Sacked On Her First Day Of Work After Asking Her Boss This / Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by romenna: 11:28am On Jul 03, 2018
Caracta:
Come on...that child means more to her than the job.
and the boss advised her to quit her job and focus on her sick baby.
whats the fuse about ma'm?
you ladies think the world of economic activities function on emotions right?
"Emotions have no place in business, unless you do business with them." - Friedrich Durrenmatt
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by obailala(m): 11:28am On Jul 03, 2018
The pain the mum is going through can be understood, but in this situation, you can't really blame the boss; business must go on. From the tone of the conversation, it seems the woman had already been away from work for an extended period of time. To make matters worse, she speaks arrogantly and freely exhibits an irrational sense of entitlement. The boss also doesnt help and doesnt seem to show any human sympathy. In my opinion, both the woman and the boss are in the wrong.

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by optimus09: 11:29am On Jul 03, 2018
You talk as if you are in her shoes.Tell me,how will she be effective at work?or concentrate at work when her heart is somewhere else.I pray your son or daughter isnt in the hospital,you ll understand thats its heart over matter.You can say its not the best way to go about it.I pray again that your son or daughter isnt on life support.You talk as if your heart is made of stone.
pp802:

I understand the emotions and I never said life wasn't important!
Let's look at it this way: What exactly will she be doing in the hospital, when the son was already on life support? She will probably sit there mopping and crying or something!

The situation doesn't look like it happened in Nigeria where patients are not well taken care of. Probably happened abroad...USA or so, where medics take good care of patients! The nurses will look after him well and the doc will attend to him appropriately.

We need to drop emotions and be factual!
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Sheguama: 11:30am On Jul 03, 2018
pp802:
As painful as it may seem, the boss is right anyways!

How will she get money to pay for the hospital bills if she doesn't go to work. The son is being taking care of in the hospital. What difference will she make if she stays in the hospital with him? Is she the doc or the nurse?

I know some emotional people will support her, but hey.........how do you pay bills if you don't work?

We are talking about a child's life, you are talking about bill. In some nations today ordinary maternity leave is a complete one year. At a point the father will also be granted paternity leave to bond with the new born.

In some orgs, if you suffer a breaks up in your relationship, your departmental head will give you few days leave to go pull yourself together till you are emotionally stable
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by alutapastor(m): 11:30am On Jul 03, 2018
It is the height of insensitivity on the part of the boss. It is called a compassionate leave. So what will the boss do if the troubled mother makes mistakes at work that leads to serious loss from the organization due to her emotional distress during the period in question.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by romenna: 11:31am On Jul 03, 2018
xana101:
I'm enjoying this debate. Initially I was angry with d boss but look at it factually, the woman may be wrong.
that is the beauty of NL.
every story has different sides to it.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 11:32am On Jul 03, 2018
modupe2:
That is in UK. And I am sure even there, such request are not rudely asked for.

Read what I wrote again, I even gave an example of a worse situation, and if you read the conversation you will realize that was not in Nigeria, its in the western world. Read again
PS: if tha lady goes to work and the child dies, she could sue the company for aggravated stress in time of family needs. This is why we have loads of Agency here ready to provide cover. This is a classic HR case. of which the manager needs more training.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Princedapace(m): 11:33am On Jul 03, 2018
pp802:

I understand the emotions and I never said life wasn't important!
Let's look at it this way: What exactly will she be doing in the hospital, when the son was already on life support? She will probably sit there mopping and crying or something!

The situation doesn't look like it happened in Nigeria where patients are not well taken care of. Probably happened abroad...USA or so, where medics take good care of patients! The nurses will look after him well and the doc will attend to him appropriately.

We need to drop emotions and be factual!

This is where Nigeria boss gets it all wrong. Someone's emotional state is very important in productivity. There is no way that woman would be productive at work knowing fully well that her son is on life support. No way.

The best they can do is verify if her son is really in life support and once verified, grant her emergency leave to go sort her self out. If her dies, she will still be near useless to the firm.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by delishpot: 11:33am On Jul 03, 2018
johnydon22:

Why do you assume the man (in your post) will have a wife but the woman doesn't have a husband?

Baba mama syndrome i guess
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 11:33am On Jul 03, 2018
alutapastor:
It is the height of insensitivity on the part of the boss. It is called a compassionate leave. So what will the boss do if the troubled mother makes mistakes at work that leads to serious loss from the organization due to her emotional distress during the period in question.
Exactly, U know Nigeria there is nothing like employment relationship laws and nothing backs HR
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 03, 2018
I'm only going to be biased if I put mouth in this... Such dicey situation dey get as e be
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Deltatoto: 11:34am On Jul 03, 2018
rottennaija:

The man can have the luxury of going to work while his son or daughter is sick. Because the wife will be there. But not so with the woman... It is completely different.
no mind that guy na small pikin.what if she goes to work and commits a blunder cos she’s not stable.u need a sound mind to work now.shes disturbed no point going to work
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by obailala(m): 11:34am On Jul 03, 2018
erico2k2:

Boss is wrong, he will be fired if he was a boss in the UK .People take time off work for stress, could amount to two months, one of my colleague is off for 4 months due to anxiety as to her operation which by the way 3 months down the line still no date.
In the UK, there's a limited time period for which an employee is allowed to be away on sick leave. Nobody questions you if it's an illness or depression or heartbreak etc, bur once you exceed the allowable sick leave time, it starts with a reduced pay and will lead to a termination of your appointment if you dont return to work after a stipulated period. The only difference in the UK is that unlike the unfriendly tone of the Nigerian boss, the UK boss would pass the exact same inhumane message of appointment termination, but in a very polite tone. cheesy
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by optimus09: 11:35am On Jul 03, 2018
Ordinary malaria some of you wont go to work,claiming they can work.Abi you go to work when you have to rush ur child to the hospital and function well at work.Time for everything isnt like a matter of life and death.so there is also a time for you to know what to say,when to type something sensible.
Jokerman:
I'm with the Boss on this.... bible rightly spelt it out.... there's time for everything...
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by teemy(m): 11:36am On Jul 03, 2018
If as a nation we have this same attitude of seriousness to work, we would be much better than where we are and stop looking for favoritism but rather better our skills and effectiveness.

Taking a look at it like this; the mother is able to have her son's life secured because someone decided to be at work rather than somewhere else. Imagine if everyone decides on secondary presence rather than being at the assigned place at the assigned time? We would have chaos. Now she has one of two things to do and her presence or not on the next day would have secured the answer. From the conversation, it seems she did not even ask for a leave for the day before.

It is being hard for her but if everyone begins to use that loophole if the supervisor relents, the business will crumble and staff will go on to the next available work because her position left open for one day would have left a gap in the daily production and that could mean an unhappy customer and possibly loss of the client's business in future.

An incident happened in front of me one day. My friend who had an Internet Cafe was raking it out on a staff who went AWOL for a whole week and whose reason was that his aunt had died. My friend asked if he had stopped eating or his bodily functions ended with the deceased passing away. Well in short , the staff got fired right there.

When Steve Jobs died, I did not see Apple not working or stores down because staff were in mourning for a day not to talk about a week or months like our people do here (an act that competitors would use to try and override market share) and we want to be on par with these people in terms of effectiveness and performance. It would be a joke to let emotions keep ruling our thought processes when logic should be the way to run businesses.

We just have to sit up!
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by david22uu(m): 11:37am On Jul 03, 2018
rottennaija:

Bros, even if I be boss, I would consider her. This her son not her brother or sister. Guy, life is more important than all those. Life is more important

Her manner is too unprofessional. A little remorse of the work which pay ur bills will help. From her tone she has no regard for her work.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by tealaw(m): 11:37am On Jul 03, 2018
Its unfortunate, but d boss is right.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Folashade2016(f): 11:38am On Jul 03, 2018
Hmmmm but I guess the employer is right. The presence of the mom mstters but not that much.

check my SIGNATURE
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by doctokwus: 11:39am On Jul 03, 2018
If it was her own business she depends on to pay the bills and put food on the table,would she close it down because her son is on life support?No!
I didn't even see where she told her boss she would like to take an official leave.
You want to absent yourself from work and still want to get paid because you know how important that pay is.
She is just being ultra selfish and wants to appeal to mere sentiments without consideration for the company.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by david22uu(m): 11:39am On Jul 03, 2018
Sheguama:

We are talking about a child's life, you are talking about bill. In some nations today ordinary maternity leave is a complete one year. At a point the father will also be granted paternity leave to bond with the new born.

In some orgs, if you suffer a breaks up in your relationship, your departmental head will give you few days leave to go pull yourself together till you are emotionally stable

This is only hen u have not used up your leave days.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Sike(m): 11:45am On Jul 03, 2018
BUSINESS AINT RUN ON EMOTIONS
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by showafrica(m): 11:46am On Jul 03, 2018
Boss is right, trying to protect the interest of the company. Hence, why everyone should try and have something that pays you while sleeping. We all have that capability, just discover yours and act on it.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Angy55(f): 11:46am On Jul 03, 2018
Pentools:
Hmmmm....
First of I will say the boss is kind hearted n pays attention to details so well and that's a plus to the boss. If it where some bosses they won't talk further with you at the end of the day they will do what they so wish.

I wonder what the ill-behaved woman is feeling like, entitled or some sort of right-flexing. She's even on a shifting job, why then complain whereas your colleagues can cover for u in some time frame while u stay away (like if the work is for 8hrs) u can do just 5 while ur colleague cover the remaining for you, rather she chose to trade words with her boss like it's her fathers company or something.

Imagine every other person's have someone sick and displays similar attitude how then will the company cope and pay her staff and still remain afloat.

Where I did my IT wayback in school days, I was hospitalized for two weeks sent a message to my boss with the doctor's report and stuffs, my boss just replied "get well soon,cheers" (wondered what was cheering about the matter)knowing fully well biz ain't for sentiments and emotions I went further to enquire if I'm given a break or leave the man just say I should get well soon, that they are praying for me(Lolz) when I resumed work this white dude slashed off the two weeks in my salary(I weak) argue till tomorrow the fact remains that business that's profit oriented don't bring in emotions, sentiment or entitlements. If u will be off for awhile go for leave, break or quit then be in to take responsibility for your action regardless.

Your boss is a perfect description of mine back then in my NYSC days. You dare not miss a day out of work even as a youth Corper. Miss a day and 2k would be removed from the stipend they are paying you.
Funny enough the boss is a she, she expects you to come to work even on critical health condition. After 4 months I applied for another PPA and left because I couldn't bear it any more.
I can't kill myself because I'm serving Nigeria, when the leaders don't value human lives.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by pocohantas(f): 11:49am On Jul 03, 2018
alutapastor:

Probably her compassionate leave has been exhausted.
From the chat, looks like they have been on it for a while.
The work has to go on.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Rhozabeth(m): 11:52am On Jul 03, 2018
Caracta:
She wouldn’t be emotionally stable at work. What if things get messed up because she couldn’t concentrate? Come on...that child means more to her than the job. What if she has no one to keep an eye on the child and follow up with the nurses? No husband, no friend, no relative? I don’t know her story. I can’t judge her.

I had an accident May this year on my way to work. My husband was driving on the freeway and we lost control at a ramp. After the accident, while waiting for the ambulance, I called my boss to give him heads-up and he asked if I could walk, I said ‘yes’. He told me to get Uber and get my asss off to work, as a client was waiting for me and was getting impatient. Such a mean selfish creature!
My sister, you are the only one that made sense in all of the comments I read! I can't but wonder if some people on this platform knows what it is to be a mother! Let alone one that has her child on life support!

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 11:53am On Jul 03, 2018
obailala:
In the UK, there's a limited time period for which an employee is allowed to be away on sick leave. Nobody questions you if it's an illness or depression or heartbreak etc, bur once you exceed the allowable sick leave time, it starts with a reduced pay and will lead to a termination of your appointment if you dont return to work after a stipulated period. The only difference in the UK is that unlike the unfriendly tone of the Nigerian boss, the UK boss would culturally pass the exact same inhumane message but in a very polite tone. �
Just out of curiosity, how long do you think is too long in the uk?
That definitely is not a Nigerian BOSS..A Nigerian BOSS would even be more passionate cos we are more family oriented. Than the WEST, Hence these Employment Laws where brought in.Some places ie civil service you get your Sick leave calculated to the amount of years spent. working
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Boss13: 11:54am On Jul 03, 2018
pp802:
As painful as it may seem, the boss is right anyways!

How will she get money to pay for the hospital bills if she doesn't go to work. The son is being taking care of in the hospital. What difference will she make if she stays in the hospital with him? Is she the doc or the nurse?

I know some emotional people will support her, but hey.........how do you pay bills if you don't work?

I don’t think this is a Nigerian story. You can ask me how I got to know.

One word

- Corporate

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by erico2k2(m): 11:55am On Jul 03, 2018
pocohantas:

Probably her compassionate leave has been exhausted.
From the chat, looks like they have been on it for a while.
The work has to go on.
She can take an Unpaid leave, there is provision in the law for that.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 03, 2018
the conversation is fake, it was cooked up for blogging purposes. but hey! moms first chat to the boss was too rude. to me ooo, read it again, it sounds like the boss works for her!
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by 1930revival(m): 11:58am On Jul 03, 2018
AK6464:
Beast of a boss
The boss must really be a Beast....and and surprised that my fellow nairalanders who I thought would be humane and sensitive to human lives are bewitched by demons as not to have sympathy on people,,,Because of Job Sirs Even if she goes to work her mind won't be there but in her 50-50 life chance son....this isn't just malaria or headache!! She could even walk into a moving vehicle because of the trauma.,,One won't understand till he experienced it. My brother was on near death experience and life support was to be the only chance of survival, I know how I felt... Which stupid job?? I'm even disappointed at the ladies who should be more understanding in this matter. No wonder the marital violence and killings everyday,,,murder cases everywhere because people have lost value for human feelings and lives.....smh.
Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Adeagbo77: 11:59am On Jul 03, 2018
DIKEnaWAR:
I see people using their brains here and asking the necessary questions.

My own question here is; how does Buhari continue to hold the office of the President whenever he goes on life support in the UK, and yet we allow him?
You are the most stupid human being on earth. What is the correlation between the 2 cases?

1 Like

Re: Chat Between A Mom Whose Child Is On Life Support And Her Boss by Dotwillis1(m): 12:01pm On Jul 03, 2018
Caracta:
She wouldn’t be emotionally stable at work. What if things get messed up because she couldn’t concentrate? Come on...that child means more to her than the job. What if she has no one to keep an eye on the child and follow up with the nurses? No husband, no friend, no relative? I don’t know her story. I can’t judge her.

I had an accident May this year on my way to work. My husband was driving on the freeway and we lost control at a ramp. After the accident, while waiting for the ambulance, I called my boss to give him heads-up and he asked if I could walk, I said ‘yes’. He told me to get Uber and get my asss off to work, as a client was waiting for me and was getting impatient. Such a mean selfish creature!
it's so simple... She should quit the job and go sit with her son!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photo Of A Disabled Man Plastering A Wall That Shows Nobody Should Beg For Food / Have You Ever Considered Learning Truck Driving? / Mike Adenuga Walks-Out On Glo Staff At Birthday Bash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.