Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,581 members, 7,820,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support (28672 Views)

Lady Earning N360K Sacked For Not Meeting Monthly Target Of N300M / Chicken Stolen From Store, Manager Sacked / Unmarried Policewoman Sacked For Getting Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by sammirano: 6:22pm On Jul 04, 2018
nairaman66:
I thought the mangers text wasn’t bad! His text was devoid of any sentiments just dedicated to his work!

The only person I know who should be relieved of his job is Mr Buhari!! He has been sentimental in this heardmen issue because he is a Fulani bastard!

That's to tell you the position of a manager requires more than meet the eye.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by koboko69: 6:27pm On Jul 04, 2018
Chaleeee:
I understand that your child is on child support but staying at the hospital won't make him wake up. More so, the right thing to do is ask for leave or quite your job. Not texting the manager that you won't be coming to work and still expect to be on the payroll. America is not a place where you can get paid for not working

Did she tell u she was expecting to get paid.
Oga here in America, she get right to call out for whatever reasons. People they call out say their dog sick not to talk of say human being dey life support.
U think the company nor know wetin dem dey do?
That company can be sued for thousand of dollars if that lady actually lost her job as threatened by the manager.
They had to fire the manager to avoid any legal fireworks. USA no be Nigeria o. Labour laws are different
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by laydoh(m): 6:27pm On Jul 04, 2018
Pentools:
Quite bad...I bn think say na the boss be the main boss.
However the guy too talk plenty on the chat. Keep most things brief and simple, rather than trading words with the bad luck lady...

Love of a mother most who say, but what happens to the manager, he's a father too.
What happens to those he puts food on their table.
na woman.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Abuloma80(f): 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2018
nairaman66:
I thought the mangers text wasn’t bad! His text was devoid of any sentiments just dedicated to his work!

The only person I know who should be relieved of his job is Mr Buhari!! He has been sentimental in this heardmen issue because he is a Fulani bastard!

You wrote reasonably and responsibly until your last word. That was totally uncalled for.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Pentools(m): 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2018
laydoh:
na woman.

Who he woman
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by koboko69: 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2018
Biglittlelois:

You need to see the chat she had with the boss, that woman was behaving like she's on her right while she has been absent before, the child was in coma, what else can she do about it, the boss was polite enough to even chat with her, not all bosses do that, there was no plea or whatever, she didnt sound sober, women like that are evil, her boss was sacked, she has achieved her aim in life, people like her can be evil when in a place of position.

In America, she is on her right o. Polite enough to chat with her...as in? Lol.
Boss wey u dey slam name for en head.
This is USA not Nigeria. You wont understand.
The company nor wan go tru legal wahala....cos if the lady actually got fired by her manager...court case sure die!
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 04, 2018
nairaman66:

Have you gotten your PVC?
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by SheikhMuniru(m): 6:38pm On Jul 04, 2018
AND SO WHAT?
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 04, 2018
Monaco2:
Lol.... D woman go dey feel bad now o... Guess d boss didn't c dat coming... He too will be regretting his actions right about now
The boss is a "she"
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by famzynet: 6:41pm On Jul 04, 2018
koboko69:

Lol.
How things work is different in every part of the world. This is America, their labor laws is very different, and most importantly take value the life of their citizens. As soon as I read that story, I knew the manager was going to be deciplined, i didnt expect fired though. Bare in mind that she was asking for a time off and she isnt going to be paid for all the hours she didnt work. Here in America u can decide not to go to work for any reason, most companies want u to call out 8hrs b4 your shift in a case of a shift job like this so they can look for coverage. If not that i am here, i will see the woman as rude like you are seeing it, but i know how it goes here. People decide not to show up at work because their dog or whatever pet fell sick and that is what they will tell the Boss, my dog is sick...i cant make it to work.lol.
Do u know the woman can actually sue the company if she actually lost her job?
Here in America its Womem, children, pets, then men.

How did men get themselves into this mess? I am sure men made those laws. Women deceiving men since Eve.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by pocohantas(f): 6:43pm On Jul 04, 2018
I guess the labour laws are different over there.
From a Nigerian POV, the boss only lacked empathy.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Mpanyi: 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2018
The manager was just sacrificed
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by abbasajao(m): 6:51pm On Jul 04, 2018
nairaman66:

They use Buhari swear for you?
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 04, 2018
pocohantas:
I guess the labour laws are different over there.
From a Nigerian POV, the boss only lacked empathy.

Once it goes public, most organisations have no choice. That woman did not become manager by accident
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by somehow: 7:03pm On Jul 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:
Very insensitive manager.....

vedaxcool:
What a wicked manager!

I pray you both have an employee like that woman if you ever open a business and let see if your business will survive.

Just 5 of such employee will wreck your company within 6 months.

Make una dey talk with emotions o.

1 Like

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by pocohantas(f): 7:06pm On Jul 04, 2018
oyb:

Once it goes public, most organisations have no choice. That woman did not become manager by accident

Yea, like you said in one post on Zenith bank saga.
The organisation/superiors are aware you would make some moves that are not entirely the standard---all to get the job done.
But once shii hits the roof, OYO is your case.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Lexusgs430: 7:09pm On Jul 04, 2018
somehow:

I pray you both have an employee like that woman if you ever open a business and let see if your business will survive.

I own a business and I am very sensitive to employees request.......
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Lexusgs430: 7:12pm On Jul 04, 2018
somehow:

You should realise it takes good employees to contribute to the success of a business......

If your employees are physiologically and emotionally affected, how do you think it would affect your business?

1 Like

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by somehow: 7:19pm On Jul 04, 2018
If you read the initial thread, you would have seen that the manager has actually been giving the woman leaves before until the last one. if she can't work, why not take a long leave or just resign?

If she's not emotionally balance, why can't she just resign? oh she can't forsake the money she's making right? the money is too valuable than her kid.

Take a long leave without payment to go with besides a child on life support (that the hospital is already taking care of) if truly you value your child and not be trying to eat your cake and have it. you want to be absent from work and be earning money. The company only tried to save their brand from emotional and sentimental people by sacking the manager who was doing her job perfectly well.

Lexusgs430:

You should realise it takes good employees to contribute to the success of a business......

If your employees are physiologically and emotionally affected, how do you think it would affect your business?

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by somehow: 7:21pm On Jul 04, 2018
And you didn't read where the manager said "i have been very considerate all these while"? meaning she's been missing work and didn't start that day. When a business suffers, the manager takes the blame just as she got sacked because of a blackmail from one of the staff.
Lexusgs430:

I own a business and I am very sensitive to employees request.......
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Lexusgs430: 7:23pm On Jul 04, 2018
somehow:
If you read the initial thread, you would have seen that the manager has actually been giving the woman leaves before until the last one. if she can't work, why not take a long leave or just resign?

If she's not emotionally balance, why can't she just resign? oh she can't forsake the money she's making right? the money is too valuable than her kid.

Take a long leave without payment to go with besides a child on life support (that the hospital is already taking care of) if truly you value your child and not be trying to eat your cake and have it. you want to be absent from work and be earning money. The company only tried to save their brand from emotional and sentimental people by sacking the manager who was doing her job perfectly well.

The manager was still insensitive, regardless. If she felt the employee was taking the piss, loads of avenues available to burst her bubble.......
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Lexusgs430: 7:24pm On Jul 04, 2018
somehow:
And you didn't read where the manager said "i have been very considerate all these while"? meaning she's been missing work and didn't start that day. When a business suffers, the manager takes the blame just as she got sacked because of a blackmail from one of the staff.

I would say again, if any employee is taking the mickey.... You can easily source them out and take steps to constructively dismiss them.....
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by ObaOloye: 7:42pm On Jul 04, 2018
Lexusgs430:

I would say again, if any employee is taking the mickey.... You can easily source them out and take steps to constructively dismiss them.....

You probably made the most sense here. The manager's slip up was the insensitivity. Nobody would have paid her attention if the conversation went differently. I even believe another issue may lie with the woman's general attitude to work. She may have been a troublesome staff who the manager was already getting tired of.
Still it would have been better to take on a different manner of addressing the woman.

1 Like

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Lexusgs430: 7:44pm On Jul 04, 2018
ObaOloye:

You probably made the most sense here. The manager's slip up was the insensitivity. Nobody would have paid her attention if the conversation went differently. I even believe another issue may lie with the woman's general attitude to work. She may have been a troublesome staff who the manager was already getting tired of.
Still it would have been better to take on a different manner of addressing the woman.

Indeed.... Just set a trap and it is guaranteed she would fall right in....

Then you give her the option to resign or be constructively dismissed......
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Acidosis(m): 7:49pm On Jul 04, 2018
Millz404:
grin they just used the manager to boost the company's image

If you know you know grin grin
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Cindy08: 8:14pm On Jul 04, 2018
Had dis happen in nija dey will give her warning letter today den lie on her nd fire her d next day.God almighty will punish all d Wicked nd inconsiderate boss
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Boss13: 8:15pm On Jul 04, 2018
Biglittlelois:
This is soo uncalled for, that boss was right, the company dont want a public backlash so that it wont affect their product and services, they had to say she should take all the time she needs wow, imagine if everyone decides to take unending leave cos of the ill health of a loved one, when that entitlement filled woman resumes, she will be soo frustrated to the extent of resigning

Well said. The Boss was not smart enough. I can bet the employee was a black woman. Regardless, she should have informed her that she needs to contact corporate and obtain their permission. This is to transfer potential problems. She should then send an email informing Corporate about the situation and the next line of action. Once she gets response, she saves as evidence and escalate to the staff. In this case, she has transfer potential conflict. The affected employee would be sacked soon, I’m sure about that. A little mistake would get her fired.

In other words, it may even be a PR stunt for the store. American corporation do this now. The tend to use public backlash to generate publicity and as they say any publicity, whether good or bad, is good publicity and this is free publicity.

2 Likes

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by nairaman66(m): 8:47pm On Jul 04, 2018
abbasajao:

They use Buhari swear for you?

Same way they use the zombie to do same to you!

1 Like

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by nairaman66(m): 8:49pm On Jul 04, 2018
Abuloma80:

You wrote reasonably and responsibly until your last word. That was totally uncalled for.

Nigeria is boiling! The president is suppose to be the chief security officer! People are dying everyday.. please try to reason same way I am! The president has become a figure head.. we can’t let this happen
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by kidsam: 9:53pm On Jul 04, 2018
Unfortunately, the manager was fired. The manager was used as a sacrificial lamb for the company's goodwill. I still fault the manager for engaging in that conversation over recordable media. He/She should have just asked the employee to put her request in writing and wish the son well. The company would have quoted policy to address the situation ASAP.
If you notice, the company did not say what the manager said was wrong, they only said he/she did not handle the situation well and without compassion.
Lesson's learnt: Don't get caught up between your company and the fight for it's public image, you will be thrown under the bus.
Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by LivelyB: 9:54pm On Jul 04, 2018
My hubby was on life support for 7 days,took some days off but he passed away on the 7th day, I couldn't go back to work and I was new on that job, despite the body still in the mortuary,I was asked to return to work same month cos I didn't have enough time but being a Nigerian and still mourning his death, I wasn't emotionally stable and had no choice but to resign because the company( A state job)wasn't finding it funny with me. The manager was fired not because she didn't do her job but because the company is just trying to cover itself from public embarrassment. American companies will tell you family first i.e if you have accrued enough time, if not, it's either you're off the book or they tell you to quit.
Chaleeee:
I understand that your child is on child support but staying at the hospital won't make him wake up. More so, the right thing to do is ask for leave or quite your job. Not texting the manager that you won't be coming to work and still expect to be on the payroll. America is not a place where you can get paid for not working

1 Like

Re: Michigan Manager Sacked For Callous Texts To Mom Whose Son Is On Life Support by Chaleeee: 9:55pm On Jul 04, 2018
koboko69:

Did she tell u she was expecting to get paid.
Oga here in America, she get right to call out for whatever reasons. People they call out say their dog sick not to talk of say human being dey life support.
U think the company nor know wetin dem dey do?
That company can be sued for thousand of dollars if that lady actually lost her job as threatened by the manager.
They had to fire the manager to avoid any legal fireworks. USA no be Nigeria o. Labour laws are different

If you've really worked here in the usa, you'd know there is a limited number of days you can call in to work. It's called "sick days" and "paid vacation days". Most jobs you get 3 sticks days a year and 2 weeks (10 working days) vacation once a year. If you dont ise it, it doesn't roll over to the next year.
Once you use it up, your job is dangling by a thread.
They fired the manager because of reputation not law suits. I sabi person wey dem fire over maternity leave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Salary Of 20k OK? / FG Pays 81 Months Pension Arrears / What Professional Skill Will Be In HOT DEMAND 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.