Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,955 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up (15830 Views)

The Largest Pig Farm In Plateau State / This High-rise Tower In China Isn't A Housing Block, It's A Pig Farm / Lady Shows Her Cucumber Farm In Anambra As She Goes For Harvest (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by oloriadejoke(f): 12:10am On Jul 06, 2018
ifeoluwa5050:
I want to set up a piggery farm, I needed help from people who have the idea on How to set it up and to give me all necessary information about pig....your advice count.d thanks E
....its not easy to set up a pig farm but if u can endure the stress within a year or 2year if u no buy motor or start living comfortable then something is wrong somewhere....this are the things u will need..... *you will need a space for each of the pig in each medium size room you create for the pig there will be a little chamber were they can poo*you must dig a mini soak away where there poo and easily flow after washing of their house (the cleaning is everyday)*you must create another chamber where they can eat and drink water from*you can get at least 3female and 1male for a start and pls note do not separate them until maybe when the female is pregnant or about to put to bed*thoroughly cleaning everyday or else na smell ooo and after cleaning there is one deodorant that u can use to make the environment serene*make sure u feed them 3times in a day becos pig dey eat ooo failure to give them food on time the whole Africa go hear their cry oo*in order to be economical try to buy all those waste product from factory like sona brewery to mix with their food* get a vet doctor to always give them injection from time to time* u can but wall fan for their house because most times they need fresh air mostly during heat and lastly when the harvest period come they are sold for big cash.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by hopefulLandlord: 4:50am On Jul 06, 2018
CC butterflyleo
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by Yungpac(m): 7:31am On Jul 06, 2018
Contact 08064108664... Calls and whatsapp
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by kingsmaila(m): 10:50am On Jul 06, 2018
ifeoluwa5050:
I want to set up a piggery farm, I needed help from people who have the idea on How to set it up and to give me all necessary information about pig....your advice count.d thanks E
Go to Swine Project at college of Agriculture in Gboko Benue state and get the needful training and information. The species of pigs i saw there were to large for explanation. Try and meet the woman in charge and thank me next time.
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by Ryabcool(m): 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2018
NkemjikaX:

A fully grown Pig goes for as high as N30,000 depending on the weight. Now Imagine for a year you are able to rear hundred to maturity, you will be making N3 Million from the sales. If you can take it higher – lets say like 2,000 pigs in year, you will be making upward of N60 Million. Considering how fast pigs reproduces, it wouldn’t be a very much big deal to come up with 100 pigs in a year. Then, how do you go about setting up your pig farm? Below are the important guides

1. Secure A Breeding Ground
Depending on how you plan to feed your pigs, a plot of land may just be okay for small scale starting but if you can acquire a large farm land (from 5 acres) that will be better so that your pig can graze in the open and retire to the pen where they’d continue feeding and playing. Land is your biggest investment in this business. Once you have it, you’re half way done.

Look for land in a rural area where you can get it cheaper. 1acre of land in a rural area will be from N200,000 x how many you want. Do your stuffs there and transport your goods to the town. Some butcher will even be coming to your farm to buy, saving you cost of transportation.

It is good to raise pigs in pasture by leaving them occasionally to root around in the fields where they can find plants to eat, and that can only be achieved when you have large enough farm land (Pasture Ground) to cater for this. As they mature, you take care so that they do not wander away.

2. Build Standard Pens
Big pen is important if you don’t want your pigs to injure themselves. A good and specious pen is also important to keep the pigs healthy and free from diseases and contamination. Proper drainage is needed too to avoid water becoming stagnant in your pen which could attract insects and other harmful pets to harm your pigs.

To avoid your pigs getting overly dirty, you need to build a water pool where they can play, swim as pigs likes swimming, and cool themselves which is important to their well being. Changing the water and refilling the pool as frequently as possible will ensure that they are clean all the time. If you are keeping them outdoor, shelter should be build for them.

3. Buy Healthy Piglets
To ensure healthy farm, you need to make sure the piglets you are about to start your farm with are health. Buy from trusted source and make sure the ones you are buying has history of vaccination.

Pig Farming
Standard Pig Pen for Big Farmers

Buy as much as you wants to start with but don’t start with too many. It is advisable to start with small number and increase gradually. This way, you will be able to learn the rope and you grow and anything go wrong at the initial stage, your risk will be minimal.

Talk To Veterinary Doctor – You need the services of vet doctors for regular check up and vaccination as well as feeding and nutrition advice. Pigs generally eats what human being eat and doe not present much worries when it comes to feed.

4. Employ Workers
Employ 4 – 5 persons if your pigs are up to 100. If you are starting on a smaller scale, you may need lesser number of worker 1 – 2 workers who will be assisting in the cleaning of the pigs and the pens, feeding the pigs and making sure they are well behaved and other things necessary.

5. Feeding Is Important For Pig Farming
Just like human being, Pigs eat a wide variety of foods, anything human can eat, they can eat. Like human being as well, they need balanced diet such as fibre, energy, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals to thrive. Feed will take the major chunk of your spending in the farm.

Pigs, like all animals, must have constant access to clean fresh drinking water. As well as tipping the trough to make a wallow, pigs will also stand in the water trough and wash their dirty faces in it, so it needs to be checked regularly, cleaned out and refilled. Galvanised troughs are robust and easy to clean, and not too easy for the pigs to tip over. Automatic drinkers are available but aren’t half as much fun for the pigs.
Put all these in place and you are as good as having started your business. There is nothing a good as being in business you are sure of profit; Pig farming is one of such business. All you need to do is to feed and take care of them. Do that proper and watch them multiply in three fold.
kudos on this amazing comment you posted here. I have a few questions though I'll start with one; Rearing is one thing, being able to make sales is another. How do you sources for STEADY wholesale buyers for your pigs if you operate a farm? Or do you fall at the mercy of retail where you don't know when your customers can come.
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by tayo52: 1:00pm On Jul 06, 2018
Ryabcool:
kudos on this amazing comment you posted here. I have a few questions though I'll start with one; Rearing is one thing, being able to make sales is another. How do you sources for STEADY wholesale buyers for your pigs if you operate a farm? Or do you fall at the mercy of retail where you don't know when your customers can come.
you might find a buyer easily if u are around farm settlement but if u must be alone try have atleast 10breeders cos buyers always prefer bulk purchase due to the capacity of there truck so always make sure u have atleast 40 to 50fatteners at a go,won't lie to you paper work pig farming is lucrative but in real sense not as easy as we paint it,don't want to start giving long sermon guess am able to answer ur question

1 Like

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by tayo52: 1:16pm On Jul 06, 2018
NkemjikaX:

A fully grown Pig goes for as high as N30,000 depending on the weight. Now Imagine for a year you are able to rear hundred to maturity, you will be making N3 Million from the sales. If you can take it higher – lets say like 2,000 pigs in year, you will be making upward of N60 Million. Considering how fast pigs reproduces, it wouldn’t be a very much big deal to come up with 100 pigs in a year. Then, how do you go about setting up your pig farm? Below are the important guides

1. Secure A Breeding Ground
Depending on how you plan to feed your pigs, a plot of land may just be okay for small scale starting but if you can acquire a large farm land (from 5 acres) that will be better so that your pig can graze in the open and retire to the pen where they’d continue feeding and playing. Land is your biggest investment in this business. Once you have it, you’re half way done.

Look for land in a rural area where you can get it cheaper. 1acre of land in a rural area will be from N200,000 x how many you want. Do your stuffs there and transport your goods to the town. Some butcher will even be coming to your farm to buy, saving you cost of transportation.

It is good to raise pigs in pasture by leaving them occasionally to root around in the fields where they can find plants to eat, and that can only be achieved when you have large enough farm land (Pasture Ground) to cater for this. As they mature, you take care so that they do not wander away.

2. Build Standard Pens
Big pen is important if you don’t want your pigs to injure themselves. A good and specious pen is also important to keep the pigs healthy and free from diseases and contamination. Proper drainage is needed too to avoid water becoming stagnant in your pen which could attract insects and other harmful pets to harm your pigs.

To avoid your pigs getting overly dirty, you need to build a water pool where they can play, swim as pigs likes swimming, and cool themselves which is important to their well being. Changing the water and refilling the pool as frequently as possible will ensure that they are clean all the time. If you are keeping them outdoor, shelter should be build for them.

3. Buy Healthy Piglets
To ensure healthy farm, you need to make sure the piglets you are about to start your farm with are health. Buy from trusted source and make sure the ones you are buying has history of vaccination.

Pig Farming
Standard Pig Pen for Big Farmers

Buy as much as you wants to start with but don’t start with too many. It is advisable to start with small number and increase gradually. This way, you will be able to learn the rope and you grow and anything go wrong at the initial stage, your risk will be minimal.

Talk To Veterinary Doctor – You need the services of vet doctors for regular check up and vaccination as well as feeding and nutrition advice. Pigs generally eats what human being eat and doe not present much worries when it comes to feed.

4. Employ Workers
Employ 4 – 5 persons if your pigs are up to 100. If you are starting on a smaller scale, you may need lesser number of worker 1 – 2 workers who will be assisting in the cleaning of the pigs and the pens, feeding the pigs and making sure they are well behaved and other things necessary.

5. Feeding Is Important For Pig Farming
Just like human being, Pigs eat a wide variety of foods, anything human can eat, they can eat. Like human being as well, they need balanced diet such as fibre, energy, protein, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals to thrive. Feed will take the major chunk of your spending in the farm.

Pigs, like all animals, must have constant access to clean fresh drinking water. As well as tipping the trough to make a wallow, pigs will also stand in the water trough and wash their dirty faces in it, so it needs to be checked regularly, cleaned out and refilled. Galvanised troughs are robust and easy to clean, and not too easy for the pigs to tip over. Automatic drinkers are available but aren’t half as much fun for the pigs.
Put all these in place and you are as good as having started your business. There is nothing a good as being in business you are sure of profit; Pig farming is one of such business. All you need to do is to feed and take care of them. Do that proper and watch them multiply in three fold.
like ur write up but don't like the figures u quoted wish u can show me a farm that have 2k capacity of pigs making 60million a year this figures are only good on papers but reality not easy as u quote so most people won't think pig farming is money spinner ventures let try guide new entrant so they can no the challenges in the biz so many farms Dan close down due to sweet write up like this and at the end they are out of biz,let me cut it from here feeding alone gup almost 70percent of ur profit then add up other expenses like rent salaries repairs even at times management attendant are ready to set u packing if you an absentee farmer not to talk of you paying yourself a good salary from it,pig farming is good no dispute,but u need to learn the ropes very well,will continue if my attention is needed

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by Ryabcool(m): 4:31pm On Jul 06, 2018
tayo52:
you might find a buyer easily if u are around farm settlement but if u must be alone try have atleast 10breeders cos buyers always prefer bulk purchase due to the capacity of there truck so always make sure u have atleast 40 to 50fatteners at a go,won't lie to you paper work pig farming is lucrative but in real sense not as easy as we paint it,don't want to start giving long sermon guess am able to answer ur question
yes, i appreciate. will follow you now, and send you a pm one of these days when i'm much freer.
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by samtozy(m): 4:42pm On Jul 06, 2018
You can join Youth Entrepreneurship Summit for Agribusiness Advancement.(YESAA) visit www.yesaa.org for further information or call Tony on 08064471797.for there will be an extensive teaching on many livestock farming including Pig Rearing by Professionals in the Sector.
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by hibeatz200: 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2018
phreakabitoo:

Na so e dey take start o.. Make we form Pigetti Allah?

Na so now abi you no like money
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by greattoss: 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2018
You can contact us at Rehoboth Farm

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by greattoss: 7:35pm On Jul 06, 2018
You can contact us at Rehoboth Farm

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by Faitholu(m): 9:12pm On Jul 06, 2018
[b][/b]I enjoyed many comments here, kudos friends.

I have over 4 years experience in piggery and I am willing to help. I am in Ogun state. Please contact me on phone 08038634494
WhatsApp 08111674114

Only if you are serious n determined pls
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by deborahtoks: 3:36pm On Jul 10, 2018
PIGS FOR SALE!

IF YOUR INTERESTED OR WANT MORE INFO PLEASE CONTACT ME ON 0805 379 7882 or 0808 665 7015 or deborah.toks@gmail.com or add me on bbm 566CE1BE

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by kunleweb: 3:51pm On Jul 12, 2018
oz4real83:
Meet the federal govt to give u land/ranch for your pigs very simple!!!. What is good for the cattle farmer is also good for the pig,poultry,goat and fish farmers. U dont need to stress yourself anymore!

grin Lmao
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by deborahtokunboh: 5:13pm On Jul 12, 2018
pigs for sale!

IF YOUR INTERESTED OR WANT MORE INFO PLEASE CONTACT ME ON 0805 379 7882 or 0808 665 7015 or deborah.toks@gmail.com or add me on bbm 566CE1BE

Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by deborahtokunboh: 5:19pm On Jul 12, 2018
ifeoluwa5050:

Piggery (FARM) on 1 acre of LAND in Lagos up for lease!

2 massive pens are on the land with a capacity of 400-800 pigs (depending on size of pigs)

For more information and if you have any questions please contact on 0805 379 7882 or 0808 665 7015 or email deborah.toks@gmail.com
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by Success2018: 6:57am On Nov 15, 2018
Are you still Need More Information ?
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by piggynieria: 11:42am On Nov 09, 2019
You want to start pig farm in Nigeria and don't know how? Get all the information you need at https://piggynigeria.com.ng/learn

Do you have pigs or other farm animals to sell? Register a free account at
https://piggynigeria.com.ng and start posting your ads

Premium services are also available at a cheaper rate than jiji marketplace.
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by amadasunfarm(m): 12:28pm On Nov 26, 2022
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by ChineduObinna(m): 9:39am On Jan 21, 2023
olaolaking:

If you are in Lagos let me know. I will link you up with the biggest pig settlement in West Africa. You will go there to see yourself and mix up with real farmers. I am not charging you o. It is free.

Hello brother, can you please link me up , I am very much interested
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by nennyconquers: 4:07pm On Jan 21, 2023
You would need lots of clean water for the pigs.

For professional Borehole Drilling for your farm, business or residence, please contact:

Gidadrill Consortium
Engr. Benjamin

Thank you.
Re: I Want To Set Up A Pig Farm In Nigeria. I Need Help To Start Up by Orwasen: 4:16pm On Jan 21, 2023
BEST AGRO SEEDLINGS
Call or Whatsapp Best Agro +2347069670428
*Palm tress
*Orange
*Mango
*Ogbono
*Guava
*Plantains suckers
*Cashew
*Pawpaw
*Kola nut
*Bitter kola
*Coco
*Coconut
*Moringa
*Pears
*Avacodo etc

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Researchers Discover Cure For ‘Tomato Ebola’ / Rabbits Farmers Let's Meet Here / Snail Calcium Supplements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.